hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 106146 times)

Offline Al Nico Five

Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2013, 11:20:11 PM »
well, as with everything there will always be something better BUT if it works, it works!

cornell, fender, bruno, marshall, matchless, etc.. it'll all have it's compromises and strongpoints and depending on the player/listener's preferences/mileage it WILL be the best sounding amp during the time that it's the best sounding amp up until this same player hears or gets to play through something else that would make the same impression.

so still on the Threadstarter's question, it all depends on what your looking for and what your current tone preferences are. 

i still prefer tube amps in the 15-30watt range for their ease of use and breakup tone.

but given anyday that there's only a good solid state available, i wouldn't mind playing through it.

it's not the gear, it's the music!
:razz:

mismo to! pero para sa gear head the sad reality is that it's actually the other way around:

it's not the music, it's the gear that matters.
buzz free

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »
mismo to! pero para sa gear head the sad reality is that it's actually the other way around:

it's not the music, it's the gear that matters.

that is such a cliche... na saan ang so called music na pinagmamalaki ng lahat?  Just because one pieces up a song from notes and chords does NOT mean its music.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2013, 01:08:13 PM »

i didn't get this because it's solid state. all tube amps can beat this simple solid state.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »
May panget bang tube amp? Hindi pinakapanget na tube amp ha, pero yung talagang panget hindi mo papangaraping gamitin, kase base sa mg reviews madalas you cant go wrong with a "tube amp" parang lahat tolerable, tama ba?

So baka yun ang sagot, pwedeng not all tube amps are better than SS amp, pero all tube amps are consistent? :)
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »
May panget bang tube amp? Hindi pinakapanget na tube amp ha, pero yung talagang panget hindi mo papangaraping gamitin, kase base sa mg reviews madalas you cant go wrong with a "tube amp" parang lahat tolerable, tama ba?

So baka yun ang sagot, pwedeng not all tube amps are better than SS amp, pero all tube amps are consistent? :)

Parang may nakita na kong thread dati tungkol sa mga pangit na tube amp.

I think to this thread needs some kind of benchmark or standard on how they can conclude which one would be better. What are the characteristics of a good amp (whether it's tube or not)? Maybe we can go from there :)

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »
Isn't it because tube amps didn't sound right that they made solid state amps in the first place. But then just like new technologies that needed to grow, people thought that SS was crap and the stigma persisted even to the present.
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2013, 02:20:04 PM »
Isn't it because tube amps didn't sound right that they made solid state amps in the first place.

i believe it was due to the cost benefits of transistors - cheaper and easier to mass produce plus they are smaller
doh!!!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »
Isn't it because tube amps didn't sound right that they made solid state amps in the first place. But then just like new technologies that needed to grow, people thought that SS was crap and the stigma persisted even to the present.

Dont get me wrong... solid state has uses in high fidelity.  In fact, solid state amps can be more expensive than tube amps but the level of quality is really at high at around anything from P300k and up for a mono block solid state amp.

But for guitar, tubes are the way to go unlike in high fidelity where there is a preference.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »
Parang may nakita na kong thread dati tungkol sa mga pangit na tube amp.

I think to this thread needs some kind of benchmark or standard on how they can conclude which one would be better. What are the characteristics of a good amp (whether it's tube or not)? Maybe we can go from there :)

I think you can start off with the known and recognized vintage tube amps by fender, marshall, hiwatt, matamp/orange and others as the standard or benchmark.  Universally, a majority of guitarists who are successful are using these old vintage tube amps.  Kaya ka lang naman naghahanap ng standard dahil sa lahat na cheap na solid state amps na benta dito sa Pinas.  Otherwise, in other countries with income; walang question sa standard or benchmark.

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »
Kaya ka lang naman naghahanap ng standard dahil sa lahat na cheap na solid state amps na benta dito sa Pinas. 

My bad man, wasn't able to properly word what I want to say. What I meant was factors that make a great amp.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »
My bad man, wasn't able to properly word what I want to say. What I meant was factors that make a great amp.

I did not mean that you had low standards.  I am just saying that thats why we are looking for what factors make a great amp is because of the crap guitar amps that local stores offer here.

Offline IncX

« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2013, 09:15:45 PM »
i've always been cheap with guitar gear ... and i have always played on cheap solid state amps on bars and rehearsal studios.

then i got myself a cheap Fender Hotrod Deluxe - i know its expensive, but still, i think this one falls in the "budget tube amp" category, and wow!!! my dirt pedals sounded alive! they breathe and react to my playing

oh i have to say that i only use the clean channel of the amp, cause i am a pedal head, and i do not want my investment to go to waste. i did try the dirt channel though, and i find it pretty generic,  not as terrible as cheap solid state distortion or cheap pedal distortion, theres really just nothing special with it.

that alone has convinced me that tube amps are better at the price point i am playing in ...

however, i do admit, i am curious what a tube amp with useable dirt channel would sound like ... im thinking of getting a mesa boogie dual rectifier combo in the future. i will only spend on combos ... half stacks are just too impractical for the gigs i play.

Offline kingthomas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »
i've always been cheap with guitar gear ... and i have always played on cheap solid state amps on bars and rehearsal studios.

then i got myself a cheap Fender Hotrod Deluxe - i know its expensive, but still, i think this one falls in the "budget tube amp" category, and wow!!! my dirt pedals sounded alive! they breathe and react to my playing

oh i have to say that i only use the clean channel of the amp, cause i am a pedal head, and i do not want my investment to go to waste. i did try the dirt channel though, and i find it pretty generic,  not as terrible as cheap solid state distortion or cheap pedal distortion, theres really just nothing special with it.

that alone has convinced me that tube amps are better at the price point i am playing in ...

however, i do admit, i am curious what a tube amp with useable dirt channel would sound like ... im thinking of getting a mesa boogie dual rectifier combo in the future. i will only spend on combos ... half stacks are just too impractical for the gigs i play.

dual rectifier combos weigh around 80 - 100 pounds. yun yung pinaka-abundant used amp for sale sa Guitar Center website :lol: mukang rectoverb hanap niyo kung gusto niyo talaga ng rectifier combo. they weigh around 60-70 pounds i think. still heavy, but that's better than 100 pounds  :lol:

Offline iceblink-luck

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »

i can relate to that just got also a deluxe hot rod. its my first tube amp combo, really please me .. i can appreciate the sound of a ds1 and other dirt pedals
Feed me with your noise!!!
FOR SALE Guitar EFFECTS:Click THIS---->//talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=282470.msg3863929#msg3863929

Offline IncX

« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »
dual rectifier combos weigh around 80 - 100 pounds. yun yung pinaka-abundant used amp for sale sa Guitar Center website :lol: mukang rectoverb hanap niyo kung gusto niyo talaga ng rectifier combo. they weigh around 60-70 pounds i think. still heavy, but that's better than 100 pounds  :lol:

WTF 100 lbs?!?! damn... i am sticking to my fender hotrod deluxe forever!

Offline kingthomas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2013, 11:43:51 PM »
WTF 100 lbs?!?! damn... i am sticking to my fender hotrod deluxe forever!

really heavy but a mesa boogie's distortion is like no other. you can get a head version na lang i guess.  :) even the 1x12 Mark V combo alone weighs around 70-80 pounds din.  :lol: backbreakers talaga mga mesa boogie combos that's why they all come with wheels.  :lol: but the heads are more manageable at around 40 pounds.  :)

i'd like a mesa boogie head myself (a used mark IV is all I can afford), GAS goal ko yun for 2014.  :razz:  :cute:

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2013, 06:19:51 AM »
How does everyone feel about amps like the Kemper or the AMT Stonehead?
Offset guitars for life.

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »
Just play a few and youll feel the difference.

Im of the opinion that a good majority of tube amps sound ad feel better than the SS counterparts. There are some great SS amps / preamps out there but theres still nothing like a tube amp at its sweet spot. Its really not the same. Its almost like eating brown rice vs white rice. Brown rice gets the job done ... but man when you have your kare kare or bulalo with white rice... iba parin yung white rice.

Lol

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
depends on the application...lol
BLAH

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »

Im of the opinion that a good majority of tube amps sound ad feel better than the SS counterparts. There are some great SS amps / preamps out there but theres still nothing like a tube amp at its sweet spot. Its really not the same. Its almost like eating brown rice vs white rice. Brown rice gets the job done ... but man when you have your kare kare or bulalo with white rice... iba parin yung white rice.

Lol

Ginutom ako dito ah...   :drool:

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »

Lol

best association i've read so far.  :mrgreen:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline DiMarzSiao™

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »

Lol

best association i've read so far.  :mrgreen:

Yep! way better than the Hotdog analogy.

← ʍɐʎıɥ

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2013, 12:08:20 PM »
NO WAY. The hotdog analogy will always be a better if not the best way to evaluate gear.
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline DiMarzSiao™

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
NO WAY. The hotdog analogy will always be a better if not the best way to evaluate gear.

k

← ʍɐʎıɥ

Offline Autoplay2009

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »
k

Panalo!  :lol:

BTT: Soon I'd be getting my very first tube amp. Once I got to experience playing and tweaking it myself, then I think I can tell if they really sound better than a SS. Though para sakin ngayon, talagang mas maganda ang tube 'in general' than SS 'in general'.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

-2 Corinthians 5:17