hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 106102 times)

Offline IncX

Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
You'll definitely love it then. :) It's the most pedal friendly SS amp I've played through and it's lighter than a comparable tube amp

if it wins against my Fender Hotrod Deluxe, the ads would be seeing a really cheap tube amp for sale lol

-*-

im also a believer in playing amps in a band setting before saying its good, but then again, it is really really hard to sound bad on a tube amp. i dont know about the Fender Bassman (which was designed for bass), but a guitar tube amp is very decent, even the crappy made in korea ADI's

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2013, 11:50:04 AM »
Hahaha tara sa bahay jam! Nalaro ko lang siya for about 20mins then my wife had to stopped me kase ang ingay daw, volume is at past 3 pa nga lang.

ilabas mo na sa bahay yan at dalhin sa next jam! kailangan mo nga lang ng roadie.  :-P
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2013, 11:52:19 AM »
I would buy a tube amp if it was worth it. I would buy any amp if it was worth it. Tube amps are inherently expensive due largely to their owners.
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »
I would buy a tube amp if it was worth it. I would buy any amp if it was worth it. Tube amps are inherently expensive due largely to their owners.

are you saying that tube amps are expensive due mainly to marketing?

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »

can you enlighten me more regarding the phrase you posted sir. (bold area)
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
are you saying that tube amps are expensive due mainly to marketing?

Same question here... 

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
In the weight department? I think it would. I had a 50watt Hi-Watt tube amp before. Effin' back breaker.  :-D Really nice clean sound though. The drive channel sounds like a typical Hi-Watt. Sounds good with a bass though especially if you split the signal with your clean going to a bass amp. Sounds big! You should try it with your Hotrod

if it wins against my Fender Hotrod Deluxe, the ads would be seeing a really cheap tube amp for sale lol
Surf's Up!

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »

Sent from my Avaya phone using Tapatalk 2
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline techbp

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
ilabas mo na sa bahay yan at dalhin sa next jam! kailangan mo nga lang ng roadie.  :-P

Sunduin niyo ko sa bahay wala ako tsikot hahaha, tas hatid din niyo ko after. Matrabaho pala? hehe

can you enlighten me more regarding the phrase you posted sir. (bold area)

Yes, please..

Offline fretzburner

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »
if you set your volume level by ear, then that drummer is gonna drown you

What difference does it make?Does that mean i will set my level by ear without the drums? Playing alone or band all same set by ear and of course the two situations have different volume levels if i will check my amp volume settings.Dont have preset vol settings, all set according to lots of paramenters(room,playing alone/band)
"It's not just the game of notes,it's the sound inside your soul"

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2013, 12:51:47 PM »
Just play a few and youll feel the difference.

Im of the opinion that a good majority of tube amps sound ad feel better than the SS counterparts. There are some great SS amps / preamps out there but theres still nothing like a tube amp at its sweet spot. Its really not the same. Its almost like eating brown rice vs white rice. Brown rice gets the job done ... but man when you have your kare kare or bulalo with white rice... iba parin yung white rice.

Lol

i like the rice analogy...and its true,

while what firemodel's counter example to mine was slightly unexpected but whatever

anyway..

yes i like my own tube amps , i play em live, i like them loud and with my preferred speakers..i can just cant stop playing them. but my point was, just because its got tubes in it, doesnt already mean they sound magical, if one thinks that way then it just illogical

Offline ganjie

« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »

i think tube amps are expensive mainly because of their components... the transformers in tube amps from my experience are actually what makes these things heavy! i think the amount of winding used is almost 3 times more that what you'd be getting from a solid state with the same wattage..

that and if you compare the prices of tubes vs. transistors/IC's, you'd get a pretty good idea where the extra pricing goes into...

either way, i agree on what everyone says about the feel. parang sobrang lagkit talaga yung notes sa tube amp na cranked.

i've yet to experience the same in solid state amplifiers aside from that vintage Yamaha i got to play through... hope BarnyardHobo gets to read this and enlighten us on what made that freaking brown amp sound so good! must be voodoo!!! hahahahaha  :razz:
... pain is a purifier and suffering builds character ...
... Jesus Rocks! ...

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #187 on: October 03, 2013, 01:33:53 PM »
Surely they can't be five times more expensive because of the components no?

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2013, 01:34:39 PM »

why don't you tell us? you seem to have the aura of an expert.

Offline joel_marcelo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
meaning?

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2013, 01:46:25 PM »
i like tube amps, but not all. i like the ethos too. pero halimaw din ung zt club.

may panget na tube amps na lubos sa mix. may ss din na nakakainis gamitin. saken kelangan mo lang ng enough playtime with an amp para madeem if it is good or not.

in the end, one should be able to try all sorts of amps in different contexts muna.
no pic, no advise...

Offline IncX

« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
What difference does it make?Does that mean i will set my level by ear without the drums? Playing alone or band all same set by ear and of course the two situations have different volume levels if i will check my amp volume settings.Dont have preset vol settings, all set according to lots of paramenters(room,playing alone/band)

a lot of settings that sound awesome when you are alone just flat out suck when you are in a band setting. also, a lot of amps, like a peavey bandit sound great alone, but when you are playing with a loud drummer, it flat out sucks.

then theres the matter of great sounding alone tone, but mixed with the bass and drums, you end up getting drowned out
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:54:14 PM by IncX »

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »

Special wound transformers + 6 tubes vs. a board full of IC's? No significant jump in component price? I think not.

saken kelangan mo lang ng enough playtime with an amp para madeem if it is good or not.

+1
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2013, 03:26:48 PM »
Looks like you have superior ears to the sound engineers that were used in this test then (scroll down to the last page)

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/hartley/Chapter_3.pdf

Marketing.
While Peavey's Transtube tech is a great platform for beginners, malayo pa rin sa tunog ng tube amps nila. Huwag na tayo lumabas. Pag tabihin mo Bandit 112 at Valveking 112. Ang layo ng tunog, response at warmth. Paano pa kaya pag tinabi mo ang bandit sa 5150, XXII, JSX o 3120.

i like tube amps, but not all. i like the ethos too. pero halimaw din ung zt club.

may panget na tube amps na lubos sa mix. may ss din na nakakainis gamitin. saken kelangan mo lang ng enough playtime with an amp para madeem if it is good or not.

a lot of settings that sound awesome when you are alone just flat out suck when you are in a band setting. also, a lot of amps, like a peavey bandit sound great alone, but when you are playing with a loud drummer, it flat out sucks.

then theres the matter of great sounding alone tone, but mixed with the bass and drums, you end up getting drowned out

Yes, one of the main criteria for me for considering amps, solid state or tube is how they fit and slice through the mix. pag nawawala sa mix tapon na yan. lol.

i love the peavey bandit. di namimili ng pedals. pero minsan nawawala siya sa mix dahil kulang sa mids. depends on the application though.

Special wound transformers + 6 tubes vs. a board full of IC's? No significant jump in component price? I think not.

and years of research and development. premium casings. road worthy design. trademark of unique technologies and features. malamang mas mataas presyo. di lang naman components ang basehan ng presyo. and most of the best amps in the world are produced in countries with expensive labor. do the math dtmateo.   

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2013, 05:13:14 PM »
Truth is, just like any consumer products, if people are willing to spend a fortune for minute differences in "perceived quality" then companies can jack up the prices as much as they want.

Law of supply and demand. Those who have the money buying something that is longer to manufacture.

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2013, 05:17:18 PM »
Truth is, just like any consumer products, if people are willing to spend a fortune for minute differences in "perceived quality" then companies can jack up the prices as much as they want.

Law of supply and demand. Those who have the money buying something that is longer to manufacture.

What's your point? This has nothing to do with whether tube amps sound better than a solid state.

Offline rrmode1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »

"Minute" differences? Aren't we going a little overboard with our adjectives here? :lol:

Offline mikebled

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
What's your point? This has nothing to do with whether tube amps sound better than a solid state.

Agree. Let's stick to the topic please.

Offline IncX

« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »
im usually happy when i see a Peavey Bandit in a rehearsal room ... it is a good amp to get you started with. i wish they'd make a bigger version of it though. it just cant seem to compete with a loud drummer.

same thing with a zt lunchbox, i like it just like i like a peavey bandit, but its 8 inch speaker cant handle bass.

a zt club, now, that is something i have never tried.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2013, 07:23:21 PM »

Hah Hah Hah Hah... I suggest you listen and play thru more tube amps before making statements like these.  Truth is: people who cannot afford just sour grape.