hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 106120 times)

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2013, 07:42:54 PM »
Truth is, just like any consumer products, if people are willing to spend a fortune for minute differences in "perceived quality" then companies can jack up the prices as much as they want.

Law of supply and demand. Those who have the money buying something that is longer to manufacture.

Haha. If thinking that way makes you happy, then so be it. Just so you know, a lot of great players w/ great tone play/ played through tube amps. I don't think players like SRV and Eric Johnson went all through that hassle just for "minute differences".
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:22:32 PM by paul_sigua »

Offline rrmode1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2013, 07:55:09 PM »
 :nosebleed:
Hah Hah Hah Hah... I suggest you listen and play thru more tube amps before making statements like these.  Truth is: people who cannot afford just sour grape.

+1

Hell I can't even afford boutique tube amps and I agree with you  :lol:

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2013, 10:23:03 PM »
Hah Hah Hah Hah... I suggest you listen and play thru more tube amps before making statements like these.  Truth is: people who cannot afford just sour grape.

much as i disagree with a lot of Alex's opinions most of the time, he has a point on this one. you should probably suspend your judgment until you could play with a lot of amplifiers of different makes and types, and in every situation possible.

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2013, 10:25:47 PM »
Is tube amps matters more than solid state?
Offset guitars for life.

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2013, 04:41:23 AM »

Not all :lol:

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2013, 05:43:06 AM »
Not all :lol:

I stand corrected... please insert the word MOST before the word people.

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #206 on: October 04, 2013, 05:52:07 AM »

Ingat na kuya Alex, baka ma-quote ka na naman tas ilagay sa sig. LOL.

Goin' back to topic. Have you ever owned a solid state amp, kuya Alex?
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2013, 05:57:25 AM »

It still depends on which group of people you're pertaining to, not unless you're using "MOST" as a collective term in a global scale :)

sorry for the OT replies, bored lang ako sa trabaho. di sapat manood ng UFC fights pampaalis ng antok :lol:

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »

Dude, music stores here have dedicated rooms to test amps at ear splitting levels. Any amp. Sorry to tell you that some megabuck tube amps sound crap (Egnater comes to mind first). Some amps are very choosy with guitars. And then there are SS like the Line6 Spider that will blow away your cliched Dual Rectifier.

Money is not (yet) a real issue. I have spent so much more on photography than anything I have ever spent on music. Always go for the bigger ROI. Tube amps don't give me money LOL!
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2013, 06:49:51 AM »
Yuck... digital
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »
Egnater is not really a "megabuck" amp, is it?

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2013, 06:56:48 AM »
Egnater is not really a "megabuck" amp, is it?

I don't think so. But of course it's a matter of perspective.

Eto so-so lang siguro...

LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »
Dude, music stores here have dedicated rooms to test amps at ear splitting levels. Any amp. Sorry to tell you that some megabuck tube amps sound crap (Egnater comes to mind first). Some amps are very choosy with guitars. And then there are SS like the Line6 Spider that will blow away your cliched Dual Rectifier.

Money is not (yet) a real issue. I have spent so much more on photography than anything I have ever spent on music. Always go for the bigger ROI. Tube amps don't give me money LOL!

^ Lol OMG... hahah go spend time with a dual rec and a spider first. Im sorry but the spider is a JOKE OF AN AMPLIFIER. Its great for noodling around at home but no way would I bring a spider on stage. The dual rec is a LEGENDARY AMP... and while its not one of the best... its been the default amp of choice just because its so versatile, reliable and generally good sounding. The Dual Rec, is up there with the Twin reverb, deluxe reverb, super reverb, Jcm800, DSL, Plexis and all the other "STANDARDS".

And to be completely honest, the chances of a transtube on stage are way higher than a spider. LOL
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:05:25 AM by vhunter »

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2013, 07:05:12 AM »
^ Lol OMG... hahah go spend time with a dual rec and a spider first. Im sorry but the spider is a JOKE OF AN AMPLIFIER. Its great for noodling around at home but no way would I bring a spider on stage. The dual rec is a LEGENDARY AMP... and while its not one of the best... its been the default amp of choice just because its so versatile, reliable and generally good sounding. The Dual Rec, is up there with the Twin reverb, deluxe reverb, super reverb, Jcm800, DSL, Plexis and all the other "STANDARDS".

I agree.  100%.   :-P

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2013, 07:08:23 AM »
This thread just inspired me to bring out the Shiva tomorrow. Now thats an INSPIRING amp.

c u at craft

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #215 on: October 04, 2013, 07:18:45 AM »
This thread just inspired me to bring out the Shiva tomorrow. Now thats an INSPIRING amp.

c u at craft

LOL!  Nice to see you back here, bro.  Tagal mo nawala.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #216 on: October 04, 2013, 07:37:46 AM »

And to be completely honest, the chances of a transtube on stage are way higher than a spider. LOL

At least it can sound like a Marshall unlike the dual rec nyahaha!!! Even my former bandmates Behringer 100W head and 4x12 cab is indistinguishable from a Marshall and it's only $700.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:40:48 AM by dtmateo »

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #217 on: October 04, 2013, 07:40:08 AM »
At least it can sound like a Marshall unlike the dual rec nyahaha!!!

As long as an amp can sound like a Marshall, it's a killer amp already!!!  LOL!   :lol:

Offline ponky26

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #218 on: October 04, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
Egnater tube amps sounded crap?

i was eyeing for a Tweaker 15 lately.

sorry OT  :-D

based on  MY exposure to these type of amps, i still go for Tube Amps over Solid state.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2013, 07:41:51 AM »

As long as an amp can sound like a Marshall, it's a killer amp already!!!  LOL!   :lol:

Well yes :)

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2013, 07:43:32 AM »
Never really liked the sound of a dual rec. Sounds too gritty.

Offline IncX

« Reply #221 on: October 04, 2013, 07:46:39 AM »

someone just lost his tone credibility.

-*-

for someone who claims to spend that much money on photography, you surely have low quality videos.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #222 on: October 04, 2013, 07:53:26 AM »

someone just lost his tone credibility.

-*-

for someone who claims to spend that much money on photography, you surely have low quality videos.

I said photos not videos or you're just dumb?

Eat your words: http://flickr.com/dtmateojr

Offline IncX

« Reply #223 on: October 04, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »
I said photos not videos or you're just dumb?

Eat your words: http://flickr.com/dtmateojr

oh sorry, i was just assuming that good cameras always have a decent video option. yours were celphone quality. you did a pretty good representation of the line 6 tone though

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #224 on: October 04, 2013, 07:59:19 AM »
Line6 Spider will blow away  Dual Rec?

LOL.
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!