hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 106114 times)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #475 on: October 22, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »

para sa akin, mas maaappreciate ko ang tube amps kapag cranked up siya, kumbaga mainit init yung tubes. solid states are better for home use, mkakakuha ka pa rin ng tone ng gusto mo without disturbing the neighborhood.

May small wattage na tube amps for bedroom use

Offline tanj

• Netizen Level
« Reply #476 on: November 30, 2013, 06:17:19 PM »
Mahirap and magastos ba guys ang magmaintain ng tube amp?

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #477 on: November 30, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
Mahirap and magastos ba guys ang magmaintain ng tube amp?

maintenance? no,

now the tube matching + tone search, that can get expensive

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #478 on: November 30, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »
The only difference which I had to actually adjust to when going from solid state to tube amps is the need for warm up and cool down periods. But even that is no biggie, unless you really really don't have the time to wait.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #479 on: February 12, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »
I wonder how the Blackstar ID series ranks vs. tube amps.
BLAH

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #480 on: February 12, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »

IMO lots of punch and many useable settings, pero parang kulang sa treble response in my experience.  :-)

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #481 on: February 12, 2014, 09:21:45 PM »

Went to a tone party and had it against a Mark V and EVH5153.

The two tube amps were great! Albeit, I realized I am satisfied with the ID60 already as it held great against them and dont need to spend more and more for a higher end amp. After that, I realized I wanted a 212 ID60.

ID60s lead tone is lutang na lutang and the whole amp shines at gig volumes and has ample treble.

Just my opinion.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:25:37 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #482 on: February 13, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
short answer: yes

There is a difference between 'better' and 'good enough.'

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #483 on: February 13, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »
short answer: yes

There is a difference between 'better' and 'good enough.'

If the comparison was a Randall RG head at Lazer/Blackstar ID60 vs a Laney Cub or Orange Tiny Terror or even a Mesa F-30 or the Transatlantic I tried, I'd go for the former amps. If we are talking about a Laney Ironheart vs. a Fender solid state, I will go for the Laney. If it was ZT CLub vs. a Vox AC30, Id go ZT. I think it will depend pa rin what models of A and B we are contrasting and for what purposes it will be used. Hard to stick a rule that Type A is always better than Type B. You really have to know what type of sound you want and for what you will use it for. Then you will define what is "better" for you.

For what it is worth, I love JamUp Pro and will play it over other an Fender twin any day. Again conditions and factors. :)

Pretty sure a lot will disagree but sharing my 2 cents.:)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:54:19 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #484 on: February 13, 2014, 10:11:52 PM »
You believe that a zt club is better than a vox ac30?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:33:20 PM by royc »

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #485 on: February 13, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
You believe that a zt club is better than a vox ac30?

For high gain pedals and amplfying the way I want it too, yes. I experienced the AC30 with the pedal of my choice and it didnt get the sound or thump I want from it.

Again, that is for me bud. From your questioning, Im sure you it is not the same for you.

But if it makes you feel good to know that the AC30 is a better amp than the ZT for your playing and what sound you are after, by all means. :) it is your tone any way and where you intend to take it!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:28:32 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #486 on: February 13, 2014, 10:32:58 PM »
For high gain pedals and amplfying the way I want it too, yes. I experienced the AC30 with the pedal of my choice and it didnt get the sound or thump I want from it.

Again, that is for me bud. From your questioning, Im sure you it is not the same for you.

But if it makes you feel good to know that the AC30 is a better amp than the ZT for your playing and what sound you are after, by all means. :) it is your tone any way and where you intend to take it!

I normally respect another guitarists opinion of tone. I'm just surprised with your selection of a zt club over an ac30 coz I never heard a zt club demo that I liked. Do you have one that I can listen to?

zt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxR0aaCKL4A

ac30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_599974&feature=iv&src_vid=Ec4EBa8VSps&v=xx2laaFBvt0

An amp should sound good on its own. Perhaps your pedal combination does not jive well with an ac30.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:40:36 PM by royc »

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #487 on: February 13, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
I normally respect another guitarists opinion of tone. I'm just surprised with your selection of a zt club over an ac30 coz I never heard a zt club demo that I liked. Do you have one that I can listen to?

zt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxR0aaCKL4A

ac30

An amp should sound good on its own. Perhaps your pedal combination does not jive well with an ac30.

I think your last sentence answers your question as to why I think it is better. Add to that the thump i am looking for. I had the AC30 for an hour or two in a band setting and I didnt like it. Too bright an influence to my pedals. Lacked the character I was going for along with my pedal which was a Wampler Triple Wreck. I believe I recommended the AC30 to that guy din and who to buy from and that was after he told me what type of tone he was going for in an amp. You really have to know the goals behind the purchase in order to get closer what is "better" to that guy.

Dont get me wrong the TW will sound good on the AC30 to the satisfaction of most but i still was looking for something else. Again "better" will be different due to the goal intended.

It is okay if you don't respect my opinion on tone though. Don't mind it at all.

An amp should sound good on its own and my Blackstar ID60 great on its own when I played it as compared to the AC30 when I played it on its own. Hinting purposes again.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:59:47 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #488 on: February 13, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »
But in general, a cheap solidstate will be eaten by a budget tube amp.
Ex. Ss Marshall MG10 vs. Vox  AC4TV

How would you rate a Marshall VS8080 parekoy?
Sent from my ME172V using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #489 on: February 13, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »

I think your last sentence answers your question as to why I think it is better. Add to that the thump i am looking for. I had the AC30 for an hour or two in a band setting and I didnt like it. Too bright an influence to my pedals. Lacked the character I was going for along with my pedal which was a Wampler Triple Wreck. I believe I recommended the AC30 to that guy din and who to buy from and that was after he told me what type of tone he was going for in an amp. You really have to know the goals behind the purchase in order to get closer what is "better" to that guy.

Dont get me wrong the TW will sound good on the AC30 to the satisfaction of most but i still was looking for something else. Again "better" will be different due to the goal intended.

It is okay if you don't respect my opinion on tone though. Don't mind it at all.

Ok I got it. You did not like the ac30 in combination with your pedals. That can happen in any amp and I am glad it worked well with the zt club. In your original comment I thought it was a standalone zt vs ac30. Peace.

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #490 on: February 13, 2014, 11:03:09 PM »
Ok I got it. You did not like the ac30 in combination with your pedals. That can happen in any amp and I am glad it worked well with the zt club. In your original comment I thought it was a standalone zt vs ac30. Peace.

No harm done royc. All of us have tone quests and I had a good share of mine over the years as well trying various tube and non tube amps. It really depends from which of the breed against which of the other breed you are comparing to arrive at a decision. But it is never a generality that breed A is always better than breed B for me. Playing through them gear personally to compare does help.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:05:19 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #491 on: February 13, 2014, 11:24:40 PM »
If the comparison was a Randall RG head at Lazer/Blackstar ID60 vs a Laney Cub or Orange Tiny Terror or even a Mesa F-30 or the Transatlantic I tried, I'd go for the former amps. If we are talking about a Laney Ironheart vs. a Fender solid state, I will go for the Laney. If it was ZT CLub vs. a Vox AC30, Id go ZT. I think it will depend pa rin what models of A and B we are contrasting and for what purposes it will be used. Hard to stick a rule that Type A is always better than Type B. You really have to know what type of sound you want and for what you will use it for. Then you will define what is "better" for you.

For what it is worth, I love JamUp Pro and will play it over other an Fender twin any day. Again conditions and factors. :)

Pretty sure a lot will disagree but sharing my 2 cents.:)

Yes yes, you certainly have a point. But I made my comment with the assumption that we were comparing similar types/genres of amps.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #492 on: February 14, 2014, 12:17:48 AM »
Bri, try my AC30 :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #493 on: February 14, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »

Sure man! :) pagdating ng EVH mo tone party tayo dalhin ko board ko :)

By the way for what it is worth, the best high gain amp that I tried was a Diezel. Herbert ata yun. Just saying for the sake of discussion.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:43:11 AM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline jacobsarinas

« Reply #494 on: February 15, 2014, 06:45:44 AM »

Pasingit sir ian!

Will have my ac30c2 today! Hehehe  :-D nag try ako once, di ko napigilan bumili :))
Blessed by the LORD, the KING!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #495 on: February 15, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »
Here's a quick A/B of a Vox Valvetronix vs. a Vox AC30CC1. Sorry for the sloppy playing. I recorded this in one minute. LOL.

Pasingit sir ian!

Will have my ac30c2 today! Hehehe  :-D nag try ako once, di ko napigilan bumili :))

Good job :)

"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline johnny00

« Reply #496 on: February 15, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
tunog utot ung pangalawa sir  :lol: oh baka dahil sa recording lang.

ano po ba ung tube amp dun, ung una o pangalawa. :?

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #497 on: February 15, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
Here's a quick A/B of a Vox Valvetronix vs. a Vox AC30CC1. Sorry for the sloppy playing. I recorded this in one minute. LOL.

Good job :)

I like A better! May VT50 ka pala. Hehe!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #498 on: February 15, 2014, 10:17:12 PM »
I like A better! May VT50 ka pala. Hehe!

Haha. Sa brother ko yung VT50. Pinacheck lang nya sa akin, bagong bili lang from the Classifieds e. Sakto magkasama sila ng AC30 so ni-record ko na rin. Di naman ako complete tone snob, haha! Peavey Vypyr 30 ang practice amp ko para simple lang ang setup pero full rig pa rin during gigs.

What about the others? Which sounds better, the first or the second?

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #499 on: February 15, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
Sure man! :) pagdating ng EVH mo tone party tayo dalhin ko board ko :)

By the way for what it is worth, the best high gain amp that I tried was a Diezel. Herbert ata yun. Just saying for the sake of discussion.

You have to try a Diezel VH4. Oh man, it's sounds REALLY, REALLY pissed when cranked but it can do so much more than ultra high gain sounds.