hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 106069 times)

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #500 on: February 15, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »
What about the others? Which sounds better, the first or the second?

the 1st sounds better. coz obviously...it's the ac30.  :-D
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #501 on: February 15, 2014, 10:49:26 PM »
the 1st sounds better. coz obviously...it's the ac30.  :-D

LOL. Well, there are only two choices anyway so it's almost a no-brainer. I tried to tweak the VT50's EQ to bring its sound closer to that of the AC30's Top Boost, but it just wasn't possible. I was able to lower the AC30's volume to match the VT50's because I added a Power Scaling circuit to it. The AC30 had better dynamic response compared to the VT50 especially when playing semi-cranked.

But to be fair to the VT50, it's a pretty good practice amp. It won't be able to do a 100% legit AC30 sound but at least it has other drive types and built-in effects.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #502 on: February 16, 2014, 07:04:07 AM »
Sino ang maraming amps dyan? i'm interested in a recorded amp blind test. Not same levels, but with amps set to their sweet spots. I believe I prefer tube amps, but I know the amps in all the demos I heard so far so I could be biased.

Sent from
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:21:44 AM by royc »

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #503 on: February 16, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »
LOL. Well, there are only two choices anyway so it's almost a no-brainer. I tried to tweak the VT50's EQ to bring its sound closer to that of the AC30's Top Boost, but it just wasn't possible. I was able to lower the AC30's volume to match the VT50's because I added a Power Scaling circuit to it. The AC30 had better dynamic response compared to the VT50 especially when playing semi-cranked.

But to be fair to the VT50, it's a pretty good practice amp. It won't be able to do a 100% legit AC30 sound but at least it has other drive types and built-in effects.

yep, the vox vt series are good amps for practice. i owned a vox vt-40+ before and it produced decent enough sound. but compared to my vox ac30c2, it's just no contest.  :)
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #504 on: February 16, 2014, 02:25:43 PM »
pag nakagamit kana ng tube amp di kana babalik sa solid state yun lang masasabi ko
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #505 on: February 17, 2014, 03:48:35 AM »
pag nakagamit kana ng tube amp di kana babalik sa solid state yun lang masasabi ko

sobrang totoo.

lalo na kapag nakatagpo ka ng magandang luma na amp. yung kumakanta at sumisipol at chimey na sobrang sweet eh kahit ano pang gitara or pedal ilagay mo ang effect eh parang nabubuhay ang patay.

dang!

iinggatan mo pa to the max!

Offline techbp

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #506 on: February 17, 2014, 09:21:27 AM »

this is true,...

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #507 on: February 20, 2014, 06:12:50 AM »
Di ko alam kung anong technical term dun sa "goma feel" ng de-tubo... "semento feel" ang ss (in general ha)

Pero itong blackstar id ko, pwedeng mag-goma, semento, aspalto feel.....:P

haha sorry for the analogy.
BLAH

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #508 on: February 21, 2014, 08:00:50 AM »
Di ko alam kung anong technical term dun sa "goma feel" ng de-tubo... "semento feel" ang ss (in general ha)

parang nasa construction ka ah
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #509 on: February 21, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
parang nasa construction ka ah

naisip ko vulcanizing shop.  :lol:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #510 on: February 21, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »

The bowteek term for "goma feel" is "organic" or "breathing" tone. For "semento feel," it's called "sterile."
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #511 on: February 23, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »

yes
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #512 on: February 23, 2014, 08:12:11 PM »
It's a matter of preference. Napaka-habang discussion ito maski sa ibang forum. If we're talking accuracy, punch and power solid state class D ako. But if we're talking the "malambing" or sweet sound, which may sometimes to others, less fatiguing sa ears, hands down, tube amp ako. And depende din sa design ng tube and solid state amp. A poorly designed tube amp (SET or PP) can sometimes sound pangit vs an el cheapo but properly designed S/S amp.

Offline KMG

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #513 on: February 24, 2014, 12:08:48 AM »
Listen to these recordings & try to estimate when sounds tube & when SS
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/files/projects/jcm800mv/fet/lnd150/head/samples/reamp/Fet_vs_Tube.zip
Legend:
SX_Y
X - track
Y - preamp
SX_YG - only guitar track without mix

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #514 on: February 24, 2014, 02:59:02 AM »
Any other boutique solid state amp maker (not modeling/profiling amps) out there that is worth its salt aside  from Pritchard? Makes me wonder why boutique amp builders concentrate in tubes if there's any contest between the two at all.

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #515 on: February 24, 2014, 07:53:29 AM »
Makes me wonder why boutique amp builders concentrate in tubes if there's any contest between the two at all.

Yun kasi ang mabenta, because yun ang preference ng karamihan.

Offline fretzburner

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #516 on: February 24, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »
Majority of guitar players first used solidstate amps and end up on tube amps.But technology is always evolving.
"It's not just the game of notes,it's the sound inside your soul"

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #517 on: February 24, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »
Yun kasi ang mabenta, because yun ang preference ng karamihan.

Bakit yun ang preference ng karamihan?

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #518 on: February 24, 2014, 09:35:49 AM »
Bakit yun ang preference ng karamihan?

Usually tubes kasi, mas "warm" sounding. Less fatuiging to the ears. Mas-smooth ang highs. Plus AFAIK, the distortion that is introduced by the tube amps (3rd harmonics ata) ay maganda sa ating pandinig.

Basically there are 4 types of tubes currently inplemented nowadays that i know. Tube buffer, hybrid (tube preamp & S/S amp), SET (Single Ended triode) and PP (Push Pull).

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #519 on: February 24, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »
Listen to these recordings & try to estimate when sounds tube & when SS
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/files/projects/jcm800mv/fet/lnd150/head/samples/reamp/Fet_vs_Tube.zip
Legend:
SX_Y
X - track
Y - preamp
SX_YG - only guitar track without mix

I believe that the clips are comparing a solid state preamp vs a tube preamp. It is not an amp comparison, if I understand it correctly.

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #520 on: February 24, 2014, 10:17:14 AM »
I believe in technology and so far, SS is coming close to the sound of tube amps. There are current recordings that make the difference almost indistinguishable. However, there is one aspect of tube amps that technology is not able to come close to yet and that is the "feel" of a tube amp. The sag and responsiveness of a tube amp, even those with SS rectifiers, is still something that is missing in SS amps.

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #521 on: February 24, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »
I believe in technology and so far, SS is coming close to the sound of tube amps. There are current recordings that make the difference almost indistinguishable. However, there is one aspect of tube amps that technology is not able to come close to yet and that is the "feel" of a tube amp. The sag and responsiveness of a tube amp, even those with SS rectifiers, is still something that is missing in SS amps.

Yes. Some companies sell their S/S amps as tube sounding. But there are also companies that veer away from the typical "tube amp sound" and market their amplifiers as dynamic, close to reality description.

I personally think, electric guitars specifically, really need to use tube amps because electric guitars doesn't have a sound on it's own without an amplifier. I mean one cannot play an electric guitar without an amp. This i'm not sure pero since the electric guitar was first used, tube amp na ang kaparehas niya. So tayo, as listeners, would want to hear the electric guitars sa tube amps because "that's the way they sound" for us.

Ako, as a 2 channel hobbyist, i tried to listen to fast music (80's music specifically) using SET amp. Parang hindi ako nababagayan. Pero sa S/S amp, mas-lively siya and masbagay.

Parang turntable and cd comparison for me.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #522 on: February 24, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »
 of course lahat ng amps noon tube pa. yun ang technology noon at yun ang pinagbasehan ng halos lahat.

Offline KMG

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #523 on: February 24, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »
I believe that the clips are comparing a solid state preamp vs a tube preamp. It is not an amp comparison, if I understand it correctly.
Both preamps was recorded via transformer coupled 5W fet poweramp.
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/fetpa_en.html
However, there is one aspect of tube amps that technology is not able to come close to yet and that is the "feel" of a tube amp.
All customers of my devices note that them has the same "feel" as tube prototypes.
Maybe small difference in "tone colouring", but "structure of sound", dynamics are the same.
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/jcm800fetLnd150_en.html

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #524 on: February 24, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »
Both preamps was recorded via transformer coupled 5W fet poweramp.
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/fetpa_en.htmlAll customers of my devices note that them has the same "feel" as tube prototypes.
Maybe small difference in "tone colouring", but "structure of sound", dynamics are the same.
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/jcm800fetLnd150_en.html

Are you the Russian designer? Cool! My friend, Joel of Cycfi, is a believer of FETs. Here is his comment on my article on guitar amps:

"Nice blog, Roy! As usual! I think the reason why tube amps appear to be louder is because they are actually rated lower than the actual power --there's a bigger power margin. Unlike SS amps. BTW, you should note too that FET amps (compared to BJTs) sound closer to Tubes and some actually sound very tube-ey. "

http://royconguitars.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-guitar-amplifier.html

I will tell him that you are a member of philmusic. He is also an electronics geek.