hulika

Author Topic: ADAT to S/PDIF (?)  (Read 1232 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
ADAT to S/PDIF (?)
« on: November 11, 2006, 01:47:48 AM »
I'm looking at one of those Behringer Ultragain A/D boxes (notwithstanding the Delta 1010 I just purchased tho).

I'm kinda sold on Behringer audio equipment (okay...not counting the guitar stuff).

Now...the output of this baby is ADAT. How do I practically (and in the Philippine setting) interface this to my PC ? Are there converters fom ADAT to S/PDIF available around ?

Answer not urgent tho...I just want to keep it in the back of my mind for that time when I either upgrade or take on a new set-up.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: ADAT to S/PDIF (?)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 02:41:08 AM »
ADAT is an optical protocol developed by Alesis for it's ADAT multitrack digital recorders. The idea was to use the common Toslink optical media to send 8 channels of multiplexed audio data over an optical fiber. S/PDIF , OTOH, is 2-channel stereo format that can be delivered either via optical (Toslink fiber-optics) or electrical (RCA coax). The 2 formats are mutually exclusive even though you can use the same optical cable (w/c was originally developed for S/PDIF) with both.

In the case of the Delta 1010, both the full 19" rack 1010 and LT versions only use coax (or electrical) s/pdif, not optical. The ADA8000 will serve no purpose with your system. If you have a other soundcards with ADAT inputs, then the ADA8000 can and will provide you with an additional 8 analog I/O. Examples of audio interfaces with ADAT optical ports are the Emu 1820 and 1212, the M-Audio FW 1814, Creamware Pulsar/Scope, Echo Layla, and many more. Some mixers also output to ADAT, notably the Yamaha 02R and 01V, Korg 168RC, and Soundcraft Digital 328.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Direk

Re: ADAT to S/PDIF (?)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 12:40:16 PM »
Now...the output of this baby is ADAT. How do I practically (and in the Philippine setting) interface this to my PC ? Are there converters fom ADAT to S/PDIF available around ?

Keeping ADAT all the way to another ADAT ready interface gives you the benefit of an optical interface because there is no ground connection, no chance for coupling ground noise between the two units. Also conversion from one interface to another invites an impedance mismatch that causes reflections of the signal in the cable, introducing jitter in the data stream.

Direk
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 04:46:21 PM by Direk »