hulika

Author Topic: Need advice for my Les Paul guitar  (Read 4963 times)

Offline nandiecarl

• Netizen Level
Need advice for my Les Paul guitar
« on: May 26, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »
hi Philmusic bros, just want to ask for advice regarding my LP guitar..it seemed that I cannot achieve full potential on playing this because of its twisted neck.. Do you have simple remedies/ DIY solution to eliminate this problem? By the way, the angle of twist is somewhat 8-10 degrees away from the player..Im from Cavite and ive read that the great Luthiers here on Phil is at Manila area. Any chance you have same problem with mine? Kaninong Luthier kau nagpagawa? how much it cost for repair? i think this is categorized as major repair, isnt it? pls help po.. thanks..Im planning to let it go if hindi na mdadala sa repair or it will damage me mga 3-4k.. benta ko nlg ng palugi..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:05:09 AM by nandiecarl »

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Need advice for my Les Paul guitar
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
hi Philmusic bros, just want to ask for advice regarding my LP guitar..it seemed that I cannot achieve full potential on playing this because of its twisted neck.. Do you have simple remedies/ DIY solution to eliminate this problem? By the way, the angle of twist is somewhat 8-10 degrees away from the player..Im from Cavite and ive read that the great Luthiers here on Phil is at Manila area. Any chance you have same problem with mine? Kaninong Luthier kau nagpagawa? how much it cost for repair? i think this is categorized as major repair, isnt it? pla help po.. thanks..Im planning to let it go if hindi na mdadala sa repair or it will damage me mga 3-4k.. benta ko nlg ng palugi..

neck warp? better go to your local luthier to fix the prob. btw, it's a hit or miss.
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline nandiecarl

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:04:06 AM »
neck warp? better go to your local luthier to fix the prob. btw, it's a hit or miss.

Twisted neck sir rowley, yung warp dba is prang bowed xa or hump? mas malala ata yung twisted..ive tried setting the truss rod pero wlang effect, medyo tight na nga kaya d ko na tinuloy bka magsnap ang fretboard..sinu maiirecommend nyu sir for this type of repair job? pahingi ng rin ng mga WORKING contact numbers nila..thanks po..

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »
bro dalaw ka na ng mga luthiers. ask them. ask more than 1 luthier.

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
What les paul is that?  :mrgreen:

Baka kelangan ng neck reset, since you mentioned it is angles away from the player. The type of repair and cost is always best answered by a luthier of course.
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »
Twisted neck sir rowley, yung warp dba is prang bowed xa or hump? mas malala ata yung twisted..ive tried setting the truss rod pero wlang effect, medyo tight na nga kaya d ko na tinuloy bka magsnap ang fretboard..sinu maiirecommend nyu sir for this type of repair job? pahingi ng rin ng mga WORKING contact numbers nila..thanks po..

bow. brook, cup, kink, cup and twist are types of wood warping. anyway, checkout mike sison, kevs and arie. imo, that would be an expensive fix.
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline joel_marcelo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
Gibson ba yan?

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
pics para ma asses...

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline nandiecarl

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 09:58:53 PM »
bro dalaw ka na ng mga luthiers. ask them. ask more than 1 luthier.

thanks sir, cge try ko po..tga cavite pa kasi ako, medyo malalayu yung luthiers sa manila. need ko tlga tym for it, may work din kasi every weekdays..

Offline nandiecarl

• Netizen Level
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
What les paul is that?  :mrgreen:

Baka kelangan ng neck reset, since you mentioned it is angles away from the player. The type of repair and cost is always best answered by a luthier of course.

sir nickson, it is an epiphone les paul guitar..it was made at daewoo china 2005 model..pwde ba mneck reset khit hindi nkabolt-on? wla akong idea maxado sa guitar repaira and details..but s there an estimated cost for repair? 1-2k? 3k up?

Offline nandiecarl

• Netizen Level
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »
bow. brook, cup, kink, cup and twist are types of wood warping. anyway, checkout mike sison, kevs and arie. imo, that would be an expensive fix.

hi sir rowley, thanks sa replies..now i get it, dami plang kinds of wood warping in genral..btw, nkapagparepair na rin po ba kayu ng neck warps sa gtra nyu? magkano po nagastos nyu? sa isip ko nga kung aabutin ng 3-4k, benta ko nlg ng palugi tlga..time din concern ko,malayu kasi ako sa manila..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:19:54 AM by nandiecarl »

Offline nandiecarl

• Netizen Level
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 10:11:44 PM »
Gibson ba yan?

sir joel, epiphone po..but it is kinda old, 2005 model made in daewoo china but bought at Japan..

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »
Twisted neck is hard to fix.. and for that level of guitar, not worth it. Id recommend you just sell it and buy a new one. That guitar will still be great for a beginner.

Offline nandiecarl

• Netizen Level
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »
Twisted neck is hard to fix.. and for that level of guitar, not worth it. Id recommend you just sell it and buy a new one. That guitar will still be great for a beginner.

hi sir vhunter, is that true? hmmp..sad to say nasasayangan din ako sa guitar..may bibili pba nito?? ngkaexperience npo ba kau nito?

Offline jeba_03

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »
Fretboard levelling and refret. Cost 8k max if other issues should arise. Note: inlays will be sanded together with the fretboard, which may affect the glossy finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. -BM

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
hi sir vhunter, is that true? hmmp..sad to say nasasayangan din ako sa guitar..may bibili pba nito?? ngkaexperience npo ba kau nito?

Take vhunter's advice like a manifesto. LOL. He knows what he speaks of.  :-D

Regarding sa sale mo, yes pero be honest with the condition of the guitar. Warped neck, twisted, wrong angle, if that's a set neck, they'd rip the neck off the pocket and do stuff to the neck. Expensive stuff and probably not worth the trouble.

Pero, gaya nga ng nasabi ko... it is best assessed by a luthier. Price and scope of repair, just ask for a quote. Meron dito thread ng contact numbers ng mga luthiers. Di lang ako magaling maghanap.
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline nandiecarl

• Netizen Level
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 07:34:11 PM »
guys thanks sa advices..mahal din pala, but i'll make a visit muna sa luthier..mga atleast 2 sila, kung pareho lng assessment nla sa guitar ko doon na ako mgdedecide..may pics sana ako, but hindi ko alam mag-upload..nkablock din yung photobucket sa company nmin..

Offline mustangtony

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »
 Nandiecarl

Try mo si Max Rudo. I had Max make me a custom twisted neck for my custom guitar. One of my favorite necks among my guitars. It took Max 4 months to finish the neck for me. Naka tatlong trials yata cya before he was able to make one that does not revert to a straight neck. Ang swerte mo naman...meron ka nang twisted neck!

Offline nandiecarl

• Netizen Level
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 01:07:24 PM »
Nandiecarl

Try mo si Max Rudo. I had Max make me a custom twisted neck for my custom guitar. One of my favorite necks among my guitars. It took Max 4 months to finish the neck for me. Naka tatlong trials yata cya before he was able to make one that does not revert to a straight neck. Ang swerte mo naman...meron ka nang twisted neck!

hi sir mustangtony, sa inyu ba yung custom strat na nsa FB page ni sir max rufo custom guitars? yung violet at may 30degrees twisted neck? ganun na ganun yung twisted neck ng lp ko..pero d maxadong natwisted from the last fret down to first fret and headstock..sakin is ngtwist ata starting from the 7th or 6th fret..ive read that twisted necks are ok sa bass kasi hindi ka nagbabarre chords unlike sa guitars..may you tell us sa advantage ng twisted neck sa guitars?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:10:15 PM by nandiecarl »

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 03:18:08 PM »
Nan, Its never really happened... but i figure if you fix it you'll spend 8k. You can probably get a better guitar without those problems in the 16-20k area in the forums. Plus theres the issue that if ever you sell it in the future  you'll have to disclose the repair.. which won't increase the value, just reduce it. So even if you sell your guitar for 4k, parang you have a budget of 12k for a new guitar. Add another 4k and you're in used PRS SE territory. Much better guitars than an epiphone.

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 05:51:02 PM »
Kung twisted neck, most probably papalitan ang fretboard ng ebony/ kamagong.

Sent from my Avaya phone using Tapatalk 2
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline mustangtony

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 08:32:56 AM »
Nandie

It all started several years ago when my G&L Asat became my most comfortable guitar. Then I discovered its neck was twisted. When I had the neck replaced, it was not as comfortable. Several years later, i got hold of a document featuring US basses with twisted necks. So I had Max do one for me as an experiment. You are right, the violet colored guitar with a 30 deegree twist is mine.

Twisted neck follows the hand movement. Assume your  fret hand is on the first fret and move it up (closer to your body) to the 21st fret. Observe your fretting hand as it moves up. You will notice that your hand will twist somewhat as it moves closer to your body. This makes the hand movement follow closely its natural tendency...hence minimal strain or stress.

Max can give you experienced advice on your Epi. But my feeling......the neck will have to be replaced.

Offline nandiecarl

• Netizen Level
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 03:26:38 PM »
pics para ma asses...

guys eto pla ung pics.
Pacenxa, medyo malabo ung pagkakakuha..

I'm not sure kung tama ung angle ngpagkashots ko..

Pls. advise kung twisted nga tong issue.
Thanks pala sa mga advices. By the way, i've sold this already.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »
guys eto pla ung pics.
Pacenxa, medyo malabo ung pagkakakuha..

I'm not sure kung tama ung angle ngpagkashots ko..

Pls. advise kung twisted nga tong issue.
Thanks pala sa mga advices. By the way, i've sold this already.

holy moly..macheck ko nga mga guitars ko sa ganitong issue..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 12:30:02 AM »
Aray!  Even if the pics are small and the distance is a bit far, the second to the last pic shows how bad a neck warp you are looking at.

Mukhang mapapamahal ka sa pagayos niyan.  Does the warp affect your playing (I know, I know - stupid question to ask.  Naisip ko lang na James Jamerson's Precision Bass was said to be warped as well yet he still got things done!  Anyway....). If it does, better sell it at full disclosure and at a full disclosure price.  Baka may makikinabang pa diyan.

Of course, you could part it out to cut your losses.  Malay mo, someone has an Epi LP with a sound neck but with a bukbuk/anay infested body.  Or maybe there is some mad-scientist luthier out there who never backs off from a challenge (provided okay ang presyo).

Lastly, you could do this:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Solid-Mahogany-Carved-Top-Kit-with-Highly-Figured-Flamed-Maple-Top_p_1994.html

Sell the rest of the stuff and keep the neck.  It's a bit of a stretch but hey - malay mo?