hulika

Author Topic: Boutique Pedal Review: Matchless Hot Box -- Not for the financially challenged  (Read 74392 times)

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Deltaslim,

So, have you heard the Matchless Hot Box with a Brimar 12at7 instead of a Sovtek 12ax7?  If not, Ok ka rin magAssess -- virtual sound ka parang modeler. Heh Heh.  I dont care if you dont like it.  I am just saying it was a major difference and wala ka sa position to say na hindi major dahil hindi mo naman narinig and pagkakaiba.  Gusto mo pa kausapin mo ang dalawang tao sa banda mo na parehong nakarinig ng epekto ng tube swap.  Tinulungan pa nga nila ako magassess at mamili.  The Matchless Hot Box sounds like a Matchless Hot Box, wala naman ditong attempt to make it a 100% Vox AC30.  

Do you think doing a sound demonstration to you is worthwhile?  It ain't kasi sasabihin mo naman na kanya kanya lang iyan.  If you read the thread, I never claimed that the Matchless Hot Box is the best sounding overdrive pedal in the world and I even cautioned people that there are solid state overdrives that also sound good.  I am just giving kudos to this Matchless design which you disagree with which is fine by me.

Me put down 3rd world Pinoys? Tayo nga ang na-put down ni Oloc as a joke.  

Also, maski na may RJ sa Singapore, hindi ka pa rin bibili doon dahil kung dito hindi ka nga bumili, doon pa?  Ang tanong ko lang sa iyo kung pareho lang lahat iyan bakit mo pinakawalan ang RJ na ginamit mo kung talagang maganda iyon?  At kung talagang maganda ang RJ bakit wala kang RJ ngayon na mas kilala ka na?  As you said, its the guitarist that matters pero hindi ka naman naka RJ ngayon.  Hindi ito tsismis kundi tanong lang.

• Forum Fanatic
Abyss,

I am not for GMA myself and I wish she was out to the point that I am willing to have Noli as president.

There was a complaint by the ADB that there is massive brain drain in the Philippines.  And I for one dont think so because I said that it helps develop the most capable Filipinos and hoping when they come back here they become world class professionals and leaders and instill pride back to Filipinos who are not as talented.  They way I see it, you and the rest who go abroad to work are the new middle class that this country needs to survive and develop.  So cheers to your success abroad....

Just my 4 centavos...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Boutique Pedal Review: Matchless Hot Box -- Not for the financially challeng
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2006, 01:10:56 PM »
Abyss,

I am not for GMA myself and I wish she was out to the point that I am willing to have Noli as president.

There was a complaint by the ADB that there is massive brain drain in the Philippines.  And I for one dont think so because I said that it helps develop the most capable Filipinos and hoping when they come back here they become world class professionals and leaders and instill pride back to Filipinos who are not as talented.  They way I see it, you and the rest who go abroad to work are the new middle class that this country needs to survive and develop.  So cheers to your success abroad....

Just my 4 centavos...

I always wondered about the upper class since they usually get schooled abroad anyway, and in Europe mostly. What do they do for the country other than go back, run their filthy rich family business and lock everyone else's progress out of the loop? I have some relatives that went to school in Europe (Sorbonne and Gottingen) and went back home to do work in the hospital and academic settings but I've since lost touch with them so I can't say exactly how much they've applied into their work to make things better somehow. I guess as middle class people you try and instigate change where you can if you have the ability to do so but, as with most things at home, change is hard to sell to the higher ups who control the movement of money. Haayyyyyy....ang buhay...buti na lang merong mga tone party at beer.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline oloc

• Veteran Member
Re: Boutique Pedal Review: Matchless Hot Box -- Not for the financially challeng
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2006, 01:14:26 PM »
So Oloc,

Cant you take a joke?  Nagjoke ka na Third World dito, eh nagjoke ako which you took seriously.  So, when was the last time you paid taxes to the Philippine government?

ofcourse i can take a joke. this thread is a big joke to start with... i dont know anyone who takes you seriously here in this forum oas. as far as i know, you're the biggest joke here.

sabi nga nila sa kabilang thread, it would somehow be a bit lonely here without you.

joke joke joke!!!    :wink:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2006, 01:17:21 PM »
I'm starting to believe Marx. Not his thesis but his analysis of things.

And it makes me see...the poor are a necessity for any capitalist society to survive. And if there are no more poor people with zero egos and will wash some richer man's ass for peanuts, they will let the immigrants in who will. :D.

That's why Jesus himself said "the poor shall always be with us". They are a structural necessity for any free market economy.

Think about it.

Teka...bat ba tayo napunta sa ganun ?
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2006, 01:26:43 PM »
i'd play an RJ. they're pretty good these days. pero i'd scrape of the decal and put on a "fender" sticker. :-D

its an image thing. besides, if the guys at yupangco see me playing something other than a fender, they'd terminate my contract.

hah! i kill me! :-D :-D :-D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2006, 01:29:23 PM »
I'm starting to believe Marx. Not his thesis but his analysis of things.

And it makes me see...the poor are a necessity for any capitalist society to survive. And if there are no more poor people with zero egos and will wash some richer man's ass for peanuts, they will let the immigrants in who will. :D.

That's why Jesus himself said "the poor shall always be with us". They are a structural necessity for any free market economy.

Think about it.

Teka...bat ba tayo napunta sa ganun ?

Hahah...yun nga! Yeah, I admire the theory of the communist government pero it is idealistic, at best. It is a model that does not exist in reality due to limitations of the needs for an economy, for one. Even the Chinese version of Communism includes a capitalist component to it further illustrating that Capitalism is a necessity to promote a trade flow. Oh well, the way I see things, there ought to be a "pakikisama" frame of mind between those that are in a position of power at home to usher progress by ultilizing the best our country has to offer intellectually, and in the labor market - specialize and treat the country as a whole, not as fragments of seriously stratified rich and poor people, you know? Everyone has a role to contribute to make things better, I think, even if seriously bulok ka - you must be good at something other than inuman at palaging matulog..lol.

Offline eders19

« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2006, 02:04:37 PM »
o naging pulitika  na ang usapan hahaha!

while we could say that we would do things differently if we were president, we could never give an actual forecast of what we  would or wouldn't do till we are actually there...

people  can keep saying that politicians are like the devil, they are still human just like us which therefore implies that, just  like them, we are subject to their shortcomings  and sins as well...

but till then, let's shake our fists hard and rant hahahaha :-D
with or without you...

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2006, 02:19:26 PM »
oas,

Filipinos outside the philippines never try fit into whatever country their in. and not one decent Filipino pretends to be a first world citizen.

wherever we are, the place fits with us. no pretensions atleast from us... the whole world loves us, we cant do anything with that.........

Ganda naman ng sinabi mo, and I have to agree. 8-)

Sa experience ko dito sa tate, yung discrmination among different races or color of your skin, lalo na sa financial status kung mayaman or mahirap mas malala talaga sa Asian countries kaysa dito sa West. When I get together with my Asian friends, each of us have to admit na ganyan talaga sa Asia like China, Pakistan, India at sa atin sa Philippines.

Ang isa sa napatunayan ko dito sa West, kapag MATALINO ka yuyuko sayo mga tao kahit anong panget ng itsura or kulay mo.
(Modesty aside ha, Pucha! pero pogi ako. :-D complete package ba, hehehe! :-D)

When I went for a 2 week vacation in the Phil last July, one of my friends told me one the best compliments I ever heard. When I was away, he said that the Cingular managers told them this:

"When Mike speaks up, everybody shuts the [strawberry] up and listen! When this guy starts to talk, he really goes down to every technical details that everybody will back off.  So you'll know that he knows what he's talking about."

Kaya yan ang nagustuhan ko dito sa labas, basta may pinag-aralan at masipag mayroong nararating. :mrgreen:

Hahaha! Si SDMF pogi! Pogarts! Musta na ang New Orleans, man? Balita daw grabe na ang crime ngayon:( ..........

Nyahaha! :-D
Okay naman dito, medyo tumataas nga raw sabi ng officemate ko. Siguro sign yan na nakaka-recover na ang New Orleans, baka nagbabalikan na ung mga itim.  :-P
Malamang tataas lalo crime rate dito hanggang Feb, panu malapit Mardi Gras na ulit. :evil:
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

• Forum Fanatic
Oloc,

I know quite a number of people who take me seriously and that just shows you don't know a lot.

But I am glad to be of some entertainment value to people with hurt egos with fixed mind sets and I am glad also to be of service to people who are humble enough to want to learn.  Either way, happy naman tayo lahat...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Deltaslim,

So, have you heard the Matchless Hot Box with a Brimar 12at7 instead of a Sovtek 12ax7?  If not, Ok ka rin magAssess -- virtual sound ka parang modeler. Heh Heh.  I dont care if you dont like it.  I am just saying it was a major difference and wala ka sa position to say na hindi major dahil hindi mo naman narinig and pagkakaiba.  Gusto mo pa kausapin mo ang dalawang tao sa banda mo na parehong nakarinig ng epekto ng tube swap.  Tinulungan pa nga nila ako magassess at mamili.  The Matchless Hot Box sounds like a Matchless Hot Box, wala naman ditong attempt to make it a 100% Vox AC30.  

Do you think doing a sound demonstration to you is worthwhile?  It ain't kasi sasabihin mo naman na kanya kanya lang iyan.  If you read the thread, I never claimed that the Matchless Hot Box is the best sounding overdrive pedal in the world and I even cautioned people that there are solid state overdrives that also sound good.  I am just giving kudos to this Matchless design which you disagree with which is fine by me.

Me put down 3rd world Pinoys? Tayo nga ang na-put down ni Oloc as a joke.  

Also, maski na may RJ sa Singapore, hindi ka pa rin bibili doon dahil kung dito hindi ka nga bumili, doon pa?  Ang tanong ko lang sa iyo kung pareho lang lahat iyan bakit mo pinakawalan ang RJ na ginamit mo kung talagang maganda iyon?  At kung talagang maganda ang RJ bakit wala kang RJ ngayon na mas kilala ka na?  As you said, its the guitarist that matters pero hindi ka naman naka RJ ngayon.  Hindi ito tsismis kundi tanong lang.

anak ng tupa - ano daw??? and dami mong dada pero wala ka pa ring punto!  you just repeat what you already said without digesting what people say! hindi ka ba marunong magbasa??? why are you still talking about tube change when i already said several times that what i don't like about the Hot Box has nothing to do with tubes?  and what are you going on about RJ?  kaaway mo ba si RJ?  take your beef w/ RJ in his store, not here. if only you didn't have selective memory, you would know why i had to retire and give up my RJ gtr as a gift to a nephew. but what do i care -- you are famous for making ignorant assumptions.

don't try to divert the issue by saying that your point is that tube swaps make a difference.  that's so lame.  in any case, you don't need to convince me about the effect of tube swaps.  i'm not saying i'm THE expert on tubes, pero kumpara sa yo, "wala ka sa position mag-assess" no!  (how does a dose of your own medicine feel?)

tama ka, hindi worthwhile kung magpa-sound demonstration IKAW.  kasi kahit ano opinyon ng iba, iinsist mo pa rin ang iyo eh, ikaw pa rin ang tama.  and i quote you: "sasabihin mo naman na kanya kanya lang iyan." only someone who believes his own opinion is the only one that matters can say such a stupid thing.  feeling omniscient ka talaga eh no?   

haaay naku... dami mo pera pang gear, magtabi ka naman pambili ng konting common sense at netiquette, pwede???

• Forum Fanatic
Deltaslim,

Ang galing mo nga mag attribute sa circuit design pero hindi mo naman napalitan and tube so how would you know which change was because of the tube and what remained the same as the circuit?  Again, I think you are a virtual modeler of some sort.  So, this question na lang, what would a Brimar 12at7 do to my Matchless Hot Box's sound? 

Good, you can borrow your RJ guitar from you nephew anytime and play it on gigs.  Supposing its not around anymore, why dont you go out and buy a new RJ guitar that sounds great instead of buying a used Epiphone SG and selling it again later in less than a month?

Offline oloc

• Veteran Member
Oloc,

I know quite a number of people who take me seriously and that just shows you don't know a lot.

and the joke never ends.... hahahahaha!!!! this is really a nice joke. LOL!

anak ng tupa - ano daw??? and dami mong dada pero wala ka pa ring punto!  you just repeat what you already said without digesting what people say! hindi ka ba marunong magbasa??? ....

....feeling omniscient ka talaga eh no?  

haaay naku... dami mo pera pang gear, magtabi ka naman pambili ng konting common sense at netiquette, pwede???

sir deltaslim, now its my time to remind you to take it easy... look sir oh, joke joke mode na nga si oas... quite a number of people take him seriously daw...  :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 07:37:54 PM by oloc »

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2006, 07:16:09 PM »
uhmmm... sometimes guys with the best gear do suck eggs...  :-D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Deltaslim,

Ang galing mo nga mag attribute sa circuit design pero hindi mo naman napalitan and tube so how would you know which change was because of the tube and what remained the same as the circuit?  Again, I think you are a virtual modeler of some sort.  So, this question na lang, what would a Brimar 12at7 do to my Matchless Hot Box's sound? 

By asking that question you proved my point that you still have a lot to learn about stuff you are bragging you have knowledge on.  Heto ang clue: aralin mo and difference ng 12at7 and 12ax7. Regardlesss of brands, you will know what impact the swap will make.  The most basic concepts you should know first about preamp tubes: gain and transconductance. Research mo muna yan, ok?  

Me a virtual modeller? Maybe my experience in buying and testing hundreds of preamp and output in dozens of amps over the years count for something?   At one point my tube stash amounted to what your Diezel Herbert is worth!!!  Ikaw pa nga ang virtual modeller e: you have one experience changing preamp tubes and suddenly pass yourself off as a tone messiah preaching gospel from your pulpit/pedestal.  Mag try ka muna ng marami at mas matagal para masabi mo na may experience and knowledge ka talaga.  Virtual modeller daw.... tsk tsk...  look who's talking...

Good, you can borrow your RJ guitar from you nephew anytime and play it on gigs.  Supposing its not around anymore, why dont you go out and buy a new RJ guitar that sounds great instead of buying a used Epiphone SG and selling it again later in less than a month?

Still talking about RJ, I see.  Ang kulit, di ko talaga ma-gets and point mo!

Unlike you, but like most people, I don't have money to burn and have to sell stuff to buy new stuff.  And since you like repeating that question like a broken record, let's turn the tables...  If I were to judge YOU on your own acquisitions, I'd say why not sell all your gear if their main function is to be a trophy to brag about (eg thread, "1st Diezel Herbert in the Philippines") and impress your financial capacity on the "have nots" (eg thread, "Not for the financially challenged").  Judging from your posts, it doesn't seem like music-making is high in your priority.  Kung di thread title, sa first paragraph pa lang pera at access na agad ang pinaguusapan eh.

Offline jayzZEe

« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2006, 08:04:59 PM »
and the saga continues.... :mrgreen:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2006, 08:30:02 PM »
and the saga continues.... :mrgreen:

di ba? Grabe meng...i just know these 2 things: i like to play music and I have used enough tubes, in enough amps (mainstream and not) to know that swapping, rebiasing, or even undervolting the thing will produce different sounds. I've only owned 2 solid state amps: a Randall RG100H (Dime's amp of choice in Pantera) and an early gen Line 6 Vetta head which is cool in its own right. I don't care about how much I've spent on gear, or how much I will continue to spend until I am fed up, throw everything to the wind and become a monk! The bottom line is: I like playing guitar (or other instruments); I really like it a lot and it ain't cool to belittle people if they can't afford stuff. If they can play, or at least are enthusiastic about playing music then, we are cool:)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Oloc,

But I am glad to be of some entertainment value to people with hurt egos with fixed mind sets and I am glad also to be of service to people who are humble enough to want to learn.  Either way, happy naman tayo lahat...

Man you don't have to be a sacrificial lamb, you know.  The people here wanna learn, it's just that, they want you to talk their language.

For the longest time I used to post on the Harmony Central forums, which I guess is 98% responsible for my GAS afflictions, and in all honesty, I feel it is a much better learning place than the Pinoy forums, save for the rudeness of some of the HC forum members.  Pinoys are way too balat-sibuyas, so a little segway might work when you express something.  

You may save 10 minutes dissing someone's gear choices by being a straight shooter, but in the end, being a bit kind spending 10 more minutes with some sweet talking and side-stepping works much better.  Why?  Because at least they know you care.  By being a straight-shooter, the instantaneous reaction converges to desentment.  Consider being in the recording business.  How do you tell a client that his guitar set-up sucks?  How do you tell a client to use the studio amp instead of his crappy Digitech RP6?  If I had that attitude I should be out of business now.  

Oo nga pala.  YOU'RE NOT THE [pineapple] IN PERSON THE WAY PEOPLE KNOW YOU HERE.  Maybe this is all part of your Paquito Diaz antics.  :-P

• Forum Fanatic
Deltaslim,

So, anong effect ng Brimar 12at7 versus the stock Sovtek 12ax7 sa tunog ng Matchless ko given your experience, wealth of knowledge and US$4,000 worth of tubes?  You better be specific because the Brimar is already installed.  You claim its the circuit that you don't like about the Hot Box, so what has the Brimar done to the circuit? Describe to me the sound of my Hot Box now with the Brimar?

Wala akong intent to be a tone messiah.  Bansag mo iyan sa akin. Since you had collected many tubes, ano na pala ang tube amp mo ngayon?  Maybe I will just call you the tube messiah.

My point is since the last time you gave your RJ guitar to your nephew, you have never bought yourself another RJ guitar despite your good experience with it. Why is that?  Ginamit mo na nga sa commercial recording di ba? 

Offline sopwith

« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2006, 11:51:45 PM »
Interesting Topic and good / hostile responses :-D

Being the original owner of this Hot Box, All the things Alex found out from this pedal is all with hands on experience of the pedal .

Cloning this pedal will not do justice and be an  insult to Mark Sampson (former head honcho of MATCHLESS) if your not using the same parts quality  and then blame and decide it's [gooey brown stuff] and "not sulit."

The observer / user has a big big part in the outcome of the review.

The sum of all parts is always the difference.

Isn't it obvious that the SOVtek tube , because of inferior quality made the HOT BOX sound [gooey brown stuff], hindi sulit. While installing a great tube brought out the full potential of the HOT BOX.

Matchless is such a respected amp maker, so much that people resurrected it from bankruptcy.
All the parts are truly hi quality, except for the tubes installed when they sell it. It's an option of the owner to install hi quality tubes in his gear.

This pedal is in the VOX tone territory. I used this with my Fender amps and dramatically changed my amp tone.

It's a great pedal, would want the latest version with a true bypass by either Matchless or Bad Cat. At 400.00 dollars, it's worth every cent.

You do get what you pay for this time around. :-D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 11:56:22 PM by sopwith »

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2006, 12:21:57 AM »
question lang.... why would matchless put an "inferior" pre-amp tube if they're using "high quality" parts?

doesn't make sense to me
Surf's Up!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2006, 12:30:29 AM »
ang tindi ni pareng Joric.. bluesman nga sya pero kung makipag-away, METAL! hupaw huhupaw! :lol:
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2006, 12:32:17 AM »
question lang.... why would matchless put an "inferior" pre-amp tube if they're using "high quality" parts?

doesn't make sense to me

Yeah, And why buy it at such price and spend more in changing parts?

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
Just like the Budda Phatman. Harmony Central rave review, not to the pedal stock but to the mod done for the pedal. Why would i spend more mod money for an already expensive bowteek gear?

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
Ung tube pedals ng Damage Control mukang nde nako makapag pigil. gas. :-D
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary