hulika

Author Topic: Boutique Pedal Review: Matchless Hot Box -- Not for the financially challenged  (Read 74412 times)

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Boutique Pedal Review: Matchless Hot Box -- Not for the financially challeng
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2006, 12:52:08 AM »
ang tindi ni pareng Joric.. bluesman nga sya pero kung makipag-away, METAL! hupaw huhupaw! :lol:

ahehehe! Oo nga, atapang-atao! :-D

Yan ang schoolmate!
"Manalo, matalo, Bugbog kayo!" - Notre DAme vs. PCHS '92 NMMAA Basketball Championship :-D
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Boutique Pedal Review: Matchless Hot Box -- Not for the financially challeng
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2006, 12:59:43 AM »
Interesting Topic and good / hostile responses :-D

Being the original owner of this Hot Box, All the things Alex found out from this pedal is all with hands on experience of the pedal .

Cloning this pedal will not do justice and be an  insult to Mark Sampson (former head honcho of MATCHLESS) if your not using the same parts quality  and then blame and decide it's [gooey brown stuff] and "not sulit."

The observer / user has a big big part in the outcome of the review.

The sum of all parts is always the difference.

Isn't it obvious that the SOVtek tube , because of inferior quality made the HOT BOX sound [gooey brown stuff], hindi sulit. While installing a great tube brought out the full potential of the HOT BOX.

Matchless is such a respected amp maker, so much that people resurrected it from bankruptcy.
All the parts are truly hi quality, except for the tubes installed when they sell it. It's an option of the owner to install hi quality tubes in his gear.

This pedal is in the VOX tone territory. I used this with my Fender amps and dramatically changed my amp tone.

It's a great pedal, would want the latest version with a true bypass by either Matchless or Bad Cat. At 400.00 dollars, it's worth every cent.

You do get what you pay for this time around. :-D

Matchless makes some pretty top notch stuff. Personally, I would love to get my hands on a Matchless combo - any one of them - IF I could only find them. I can't even find one used!
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Chito

« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2006, 02:04:43 AM »
Abyss, here's a link to where you could get some Matchless. I personally know the owner of the store who also happens to  be a well known gigging guitar player here in Ottawa. The Matchless should be great gigging amps! But would I carry a $4,000 amp to gigs? Probably not.

http://www.retrotownmusic.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=81&osCsid=ee9ebc3f15558ab5a7c98151a458fecf
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 04:51:09 AM by Chito »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2006, 02:28:54 AM »
Chito, thanks much! I've always liked Matchless amps as well as Fenders for the clean sounds they can do. Rest assured, this thing isn't go to go anywhere outside of a studio:)
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline markflo

i never liked matchless...don't ask me why coz i don't know...i tried a couple of 'em...wala lang...it's just not for me i guess...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline alkohol

« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2006, 03:01:59 AM »
easy lang, dude 8-)

i happen to think that the most important component in the tone chain is the player himself --

+100000000

but in oas himself is the worst component of his chain  :-D
"the more I learn, the more I see how dumb I am

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2006, 05:02:51 AM »
easy lang, dude 8-)

i happen to think that the most important component in the tone chain is the player himself --

+100000000

+100000000

He might not even be included in his own chain  :-D

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2006, 05:23:57 AM »
ang tindi ni pareng Joric.. bluesman nga sya pero kung makipag-away, METAL! hupaw huhupaw! :lol:

haha, si daddy is also a toughie!   he's BAAAADDDD like Jessie James  :wink:

Offline markflo

« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2006, 05:42:06 AM »
easy lang, dude 8-)

+100000000

OMG! OAS IS NOT TRUE BYPASS!!! EEEEEEW.....
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
OT lang tayo..
OAS,
baka me luma kang gear na hindi mo na ginagamit at gusto mo nang itapon..puwede bang ma auction at yung proceeds ibibigay sa bahay ampunan??? joke or no joke..pero SERIOUS ako..  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #160 on: December 03, 2006, 06:58:14 AM »
baka naman kwentong barbero lang tong thread na to... hehehe...  :-D

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Glassjaw,

Putting in NOS 12ax7s in the Hot Box would bump the price to a probable US$550-600 which most of the people on this forum would make an issue against I and others who buy it which for a lot of people is at least a Peavey Classic 20 amp.

But to be fair to Matchless, if you actually required NOS 12ax7s they would install upon request but you have to be prepared to buy for the upcharge.  In fact, they wired this Hot Box for 220volts specially made for Sopwith.

In the end, regardless if it came with a pair of NOS tubes or not, Matchless designed it so that it will be sensitive to the tubes you put in.  Hindi na kailangan magpaMOD kahit kanino dahil ikaw ang magEXPERIMENTO.  By the way, it also sounded better with a China 12at7 instead of a Sovtek 12ax7 but really shines with NOS. 

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #162 on: December 03, 2006, 01:10:30 PM »
Well... I still think that it's an absurd idea. If you're after the highest quality, you'd put in high quality products from the screw to the casing. If the price really reaches that much, then so be it. They're boutique anyway. People will buy it for what it is.

Anyway, I guess puyat na yung designer when he was thinking of what tube to put in. He just grabbed a tube in his drawer and tada!  :-D

I read the reviews at harmony-central. It seems that this item is very picky with gear. If that's the case and because you still have to shell out money to get it right, personally, it's not worth the $400 price tag. I'd rather buy it a $650, if that'll be the price with top notch parts, and be happy with it from day 1.
Surf's Up!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
By the way, it also sounded better with a China 12at7 instead of a Sovtek 12ax7 but really shines with NOS. 
..well the Sovtek 12ax7 is like the cheapest and reliable tube....sounds like cardboard though. But I bet it doesn't have to be a NOS to get a nice tone from it. You can those new Tung-sols, Mullards, or even the new JJs.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pahirit naman, o....

Gaya nga ng sabi ng isa kong kaibigan...

Wala yan sa pana, nasa indian.

c",)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline orangedreg_2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2006, 02:43:53 PM »

Yan ang schoolmate!
"Manalo, matalo, Bugbog kayo!" - Notre DAme vs. PCHS '92 NMMAA Basketball Championship :-D

sir SDMF .. Damer din po ba kayo?
gear:
Standard standfan (all stock)
Nokia 3210 (modified blue backlight) Monoblock chair (all stock) Kyowa oventoaster Meque DVD Player (all original)

Offline orangedreg_2

• Veteran Member
Not for the financially challenged but definitely for the musically challenged.  :-D :-D

gear:
Nokia 3210 (modified blue backlight) Monoblock chair (all stock) Kyowa oventoaster Meque DVD Player (all original)

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2006, 02:54:42 PM »

Yan ang schoolmate!

sir SDMF .. Damer din po ba kayo?

Yup, batch 94 ako.
Ikaw?
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline orangedreg_2

• Veteran Member
ser.. 96 ako...
gear:

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
ser.. 96 ako...

Ayos, nagpang-abot pala tayo. E di naabutan mo ung HomeBoiz at Minor Threat dun? :-D
Ika nga ni Mr De Luna noon "Kayong mga HUMBOYS ah!!" :-D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 03:07:58 PM by SDMF »

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #170 on: December 03, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »
Pahirit naman, o....

Gaya nga ng sabi ng isa kong kaibigan...

Wala yan sa pana, nasa indian.

c",)

brader aya, sinubukan ko na ang hirit na yan...it didnt work...peace! :mrgreen:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #171 on: December 03, 2006, 04:29:27 PM »
mga dude, stomp box...gitara or amp na mahal...materyal lang yan e.

hypocrito naman ako na sabihin kong mura ang mga gitara ko, at taas pa din ang bandila ko for RJ gtrs. the days of my raon strat modded with an almasega neck from RJ are gone.

d ako mayaman, at kung ano man na binili ko na items, mahal at ano man..pinaghirapan ko din naman yun, d ako nagbuburn ng pera.those gitars and amps will be put into good use naman.

at the end of the day though, ano ang mas importante? materyal na bagay or yung respeto ng tao na binibigay sayo ng tao dahil marunong kang makisama?

i know i had my fill of that....and i hate myself for stooping down to that level. so what now? i know ive changed brader alex, can you say the same for yourself.

i read the chronicles of oas dude. you have established a pattern.and it pisses a lot of people not because youve intrigued them with your reviews of expensive gear...nawala na sa mix ang reviews...it's about the way na namemersonal ka na sa mga ka forumites mo.

ganito yun. you make a review. somebody makes kontra pero IMHO. then you make kontra din, with matching " what gives you the right?".

for example. i made a comment about tone being in the hands not the gear. then i remember na sinabi mo " so kaya mo bang patunugin ng distorted ang mga kamay mo?" or something like that.

no, no...ive made my peace..and ive said i dont want to fight anymore. to each his own.live and let live ika nga sa tenets..

but please be more sensible with your posts alex. people know how wealthy you are..you've said enough of that.we also know that joric and me can run rings around you with our guitar playing. same as robie, abyss, phil, mark flo, blue buddha.....chito, nathan manansala...as in lahat na.

i would listen to a product reviewer  who can actually play...regardless if he can afford the gear or not.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #172 on: December 03, 2006, 04:31:38 PM »
question lang.... why would matchless put an "inferior" pre-amp tube if they're using "high quality" parts?

doesn't make sense to me

Amp makers, whether large manufacturers or boutique, will generally ship their stuff off with current production, par for the course, cheaper tubes for several reasons:

1. Tubes are considered a "consumable" item. Even properly used, they will eventually wear out and die over time, just like strings on a guitar, tires on a car, batteries in a gadget, strings on a tennis racket. Just as you would likely not find "best of its kind" consumables installed in/on these items when you buy them brand new, you'll typically not find the best tubes in your amp/pedal unless you specifically request it and you are willing to pay for it. It allows the makers to keep costs down and reasonable for the consumer.

2. Again like in the above-mentioned items, consumer preference  for the utility of these consumables is very subjective. For some, basta it works, ok na. Others are more "picky"....

3. ….and the picky ones vary a great deal in their opinions on what sounds “best”. This is so because there are very real differences in how these consumables – in this case, tubes – perform.  So the manufacturer just puts something in there that works so that the consumer is sure that the device is in proper operating condition.

That said, Matchless amps fall generally into that category of  gear that is as simple as it can be: simple circuits, minimal effects, minimum bells and whistles, very responsive to the quality of the consumable tube components – in short, very much like the old time gear. It sounds like the Hot Box is no exception. The downside is that to get the most out of the gear, you are stuck with some pretty heftily priced consumables. The upside to that, however, is that you are rewarded with seriously yummy performance that is directly proportional to the commitment you put into it – technique, knowing how to “play the amp”, tubes, and otherwise. It’s really something to contemplate – is all the trouble worth the tone?

Only you can answer that, and the answers will all be different given one’s particular circumstances and tolerance for pain.

Anong sabi ni deltaslim noon? – “….kanya kanya lang ‘yun….” Hehehe.  :-D

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2006, 04:49:56 PM »
How long did you own your amps before you changed the tubes? How long have you owned your guitars before you changed your pickups? How long have you had your car before you changed your tires?

Longer than day 1 I suppose. That's because they work just right for the item. Will you change your tire after buying your car brand new? Do you see ferraris with ordinary tires?

The hot box is supposed to offer a signature sound. You can't offer that if you're expecting your consumers to change a part right away. They can and will probably change the tubes, but normally, after they have used the item extensively and just want's to experiment.

When you're offering a boutique item, you're not offering it for cheap. They're boutique! It is expected of them to be expensive.
Surf's Up!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2006, 05:51:04 PM »

hehe... pre, basta bluesman malakas ang survival instinct at lalaban kung kailangan.  ok na kaibigan (sa hirap at ginhawa) pero masamang kaaway. tignan mo nangyari kay robert johnson, nilason! tapos si keith richards, nanghampas ng rabid fan on-stage!  haha...

oas should be man enough to take as much as he is giving.