hulika

Author Topic: Best guitar cable  (Read 7478 times)

Offline opencoke

Best guitar cable
« on: October 03, 2014, 11:46:48 PM »
Anong pinakamagandang guitar cable/instrument cable na nagamit nyo sa gitara? At bakit?
Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Best guitar cable
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 12:48:44 AM »
Planet waves. Dahil mura
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 01:13:03 AM »
Armor Golds for me cuz it's robust and got just the right capacitance (33pf)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:16:16 AM by cacophony »

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 01:24:53 AM »
May tatlo akong na-sample na nagustuhan ko  :-) Here are my personal thoughts on the three:

1. Klotz
Pros: Easy handling and soldering, excellent shielding and noise performance, pretty good capacitance rating.
Cons: A bit too light, soft outer jacket, might not be as heavy-duty as other cables
Exp: Bought a 5 meter length of blue Klotz cable and Neutrik plugs from Audiophile sometime ago, and had them build the cable in-store. Some problems with the soldering made the sound dull, but became clearer after I fixed the connections myself. I have since split the cable into two smaller ones, and use them with my multieffects rig.

2. Canare
Pros: Excellent shielding and noise performance (copper braid shielding), apparently heavy-duty, comes in different colors!
Cons: Stiff compared to other cables, slightly high capacitance according to my research, a little hard to solder
Exp: I'm currently OOTC right now, and needed a cable to use with the guitar I currently have here with me, so I went to the electronics district in the city, and picked up Neutrik plugs, shrink tubing, and a 5 meter length of red Canare cable. Since I didn't have my tools with me, it was slightly tougher to get clean solder joints and to test connections properly, but after some trial and error, I got a working cable that looked and sounded good!

3. Mogami
Pros: Excellent shielding and noise performance, good capacitance rating, good balance of ease of handling and durability
Cons: None so far
Exp: The first time I got the chance to go to Tokyo's Akihabara district, I took the chance to tour the electronics stores and found that a lot of the components we consider unobtanium even in the best local stores like Alexan and Deeco were being sold in tiangge-like places - imagine buying NOS vacuum tubes and brand-name parts in Raon! I bought Neutrik plugs as usual, along with a 5 meter length of Mogami cable in black. When I got back home I went to work on building the cable as soon as I could. It's now my main guitar-to-pedalboard cable back in the Philippines.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:34:52 AM by lolwat »

Offline geda

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 07:27:25 AM »
Klotz blue cable hi-Z & neutrik plugs. Bought @ Audiophile,  15 meters & 10 meters, free install & solder from their tech. I has been thru many gigs & up to now still strong, no signal loss, clear & flat response from guitar to amp.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »
*best* is subjective.

The best for me is a Sommer cable with Neutrik plugs.

Basically get a cable that will provide a flat unaltered response.
Stay away from cable brands that claims to enhance your sound.
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 11:44:59 AM »
if you compare a cheap cable to a middle level cable. there will be a significant difference

if you compare middle level cable to high end cable. the difference may be small. and that small difference can be a deal breaker to some...depends na on your ear.

now if you compare different cables of the same level, some might differ in certain ways, a little more this and less than that, and then some will have a little more of this and less of that..

the best way is to try and try, if you have friends who'll be willing to let you test theirs then better. it all lessens the chance of you buying something you don't like.

sometimes you'll like something because you hear something that others can't hear. if this is the case just stick to what you like. 

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline opencoke

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 05:05:23 PM »
if you compare a cheap cable to a middle level cable. there will be a significant difference

if you compare middle level cable to high end cable. the difference may be small. and that small difference can be a deal breaker to some...depends na on your ear.

now if you compare different cables of the same level, some might differ in certain ways, a little more this and less than that, and then some will have a little more of this and less of that..

the best way is to try and try, if you have friends who'll be willing to let you test theirs then better. it all lessens the chance of you buying something you don't like.

sometimes you'll like something because you hear something that others can't hear. if this is the case just stick to what you like.
I agree with this.

Nagtatanong lang po kung ano na yung nagamit nyong best para sa inyo :)

Is surelock brand a midrange brand? that's the only branded cable i had before.
Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
I've go through a bunch of cables and imho I enjoy lava and evidence audio the best.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »
I agree with this.

Nagtatanong lang po kung ano na yung nagamit nyong best para sa inyo :)

Is surelock brand a midrange brand? that's the only branded cable i had before.

uhmm.. i dont' want to say 'the best.' pero so far i'm liking my Asterope cables over my George Ls, Lava, Di Marzio, hindi ko na maalala yung iba.

I'm temporarily  in another state right now and left all of them. to keep my fingers from itching, i bought a small amp and a Divine Noise cable. medyo gusto ko din siya but i haven't compared it to my other cables and amps. i was able to compare the Divine to the Lava Magma (tama ba) mas trip ko yung divine, i don't think its Gil Divine's flagship model but its good for me. kung wala yung 2, i'd put my money on lava.

Offline HappyCoolers

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 12:39:47 AM »
Lava Cables for me... Signal quality and durability  :-D

Offline vhershekinahfaith

• Netizen Level
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 04:44:45 AM »
Lava cables. Crystal clear. Like my Lava Soar and Vintage Tweed. Di ka manghihinayang sa pera mo.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »
Planet waves with switch  :-D

Offline soundhole8

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »
Planet Waves for me.
Medyo disappointed ako sa durability ng Lava.
Yung Lava Clear Connect ko dati hindi na gumagana, as in no signal coming out of it.
Inisip ko baka may maluwag lang sa Plug nya, e hindi ko naman mabuksan yung Plug, parang wala naman kasing bukasan. O baka hindi lang ako marunong magbukas?? :eek: hehe
Anyway, ginawa ko tinanggal ko na lang yung PLugs by cutting the Cable. Tapos I replaced the plugs and soldered it.
Ayun gumana na.
May naka experience na rin ba sa inyo nito??
O malas ko lang at ako lang naka experience?  :-(

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
Planet Waves for me.
Medyo disappointed ako sa durability ng Lava.
Yung Lava Clear Connect ko dati hindi na gumagana, as in no signal coming out of it.
Inisip ko baka may maluwag lang sa Plug nya, e hindi ko naman mabuksan yung Plug, parang wala naman kasing bukasan. O baka hindi lang ako marunong magbukas?? :eek: hehe
Anyway, ginawa ko tinanggal ko na lang yung PLugs by cutting the Cable. Tapos I replaced the plugs and soldered it.
Ayun gumana na.
May naka experience na rin ba sa inyo nito??
O malas ko lang at ako lang naka experience?  :-(

Yup, happened to my Clear Connect (orange) before. I ended up cutting out the plug and soldering a new one (Neutrik), but then the sound dramatically changed, became a bit dull. Had to get a new GH plug as used by Lava, and the hi feqs were back. Made me realize back then that plugs also play a huge role on the overall tone.

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
Yup, happened to my Clear Connect (orange) before. I ended up cutting out the plug and soldering a new one (Neutrik), but then the sound dramatically changed, became a bit dull. Had to get a new GH plug as used by Lava, and the hi feqs were back. Made me realize back then that plugs also play a huge role on the overall tone.

made in china na daw yun neutrik
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 05:40:33 PM »

oh wow! now that's one big statement, tell me sir, what plugs are else available in our market? Neutrik lang ang alam kong tumatagal eh that's why i used it, at san available?
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 07:39:38 PM »
oh wow! now that's one big statement, tell me sir, what plugs are else available in our market? Neutrik lang ang alam kong tumatagal eh that's why i used it, at san available?

Yep. I knew how my Clear Connect sounded straight to the amp kaya nung pinalitan ko ng Neutrik (from audiophile), narinig ko talaga na nag-iba.
I'm not saying Audiophile's neutriks (silver) are bad, mas nagusutuhan ko lang talaga yung brightness ng tone ng lava cable with the GH. I'm still tempted to try out their Neutrik Silent plugs, kaso wala pa akong cable na bumibigay sa ngayon. Haha!

There used to be Amphenol plugs at In-Tune which I liked very much, I like them better than the silver Neutriks, actually. Kaso hindi na yata sila nag didistribute ng Amphenol, parang Quantum na ang plugs nila. Haven't tried those yet. Kamukha ng Neutrik.

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 11:57:19 PM »
Yep. I knew how my Clear Connect sounded straight to the amp kaya nung pinalitan ko ng Neutrik (from audiophile), narinig ko talaga na nag-iba.
I'm not saying Audiophile's neutriks (silver) are bad, mas nagusutuhan ko lang talaga yung brightness ng tone ng lava cable with the GH. I'm still tempted to try out their Neutrik Silent plugs, kaso wala pa akong cable na bumibigay sa ngayon. Haha!

There used to be Amphenol plugs at In-Tune which I liked very much, I like them better than the silver Neutriks, actually. Kaso hindi na yata sila nag didistribute ng Amphenol, parang Quantum na ang plugs nila. Haven't tried those yet. Kamukha ng Neutrik.

i wonder how Neutrik Silent differs to it's brother which is the regular plug, the Silent has gold-plated tips however the regular ones his brother has chrome. wanted to try that too and same thing di pa bumibigay PL plugs ko kaya di pa ako nagpapalit, ahahah!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:58:10 AM by david_leyson »
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 09:41:19 AM »
i wonder how Neutrik Silent differs to it's brother which is the regular plug, the Silent has gold-plated tips however the it's brother has chrome. wanted to try that to and same thing di pa bumibigay PL plugs ko kaya di pa ako nagpapalit, ahahah!

Curious din talaga ako, mukhang yung Silent plugs nila ang talagang maganda eh. May kamahalan lang. :)

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 05:13:13 AM »
Evidence Forte.

Well, I have'nt tried it but I hope it's the best because its what I'm about to buy. heheheh :)

Offline J R M

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »
Lava ELC at Mogami

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 06:31:53 AM »
I'm guessing you already invested in a good amp, otherwise you may not hear the difference. My current favorite in the 1k to 1.5k price range is the colored klotz cable. It has been with me for more than 5 years.

Offline ayofish

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 09:41:16 AM »
Monster cable. I am still using the first one I got back in 2004.
"Practice makes perfect, But no one is perfect so why practice? Because practice makes masters and experts!!!!"