hulika

Author Topic: how is YOUR studio desk?  (Read 6008 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
how is YOUR studio desk?
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:17:34 PM »
Just to interject a bit of non-gear talk and humor (at least I thought it was pretty funny the way my brother's face changed when he saw the desk today), I would like to ask how clean you really keep your studio desk. I am a pretty tidy fellow but when rewiring stuff is required, or some kind of major rearranging of equipment is unavoidable, my studio looks like a paper bomb went off. Here is a pic snapped by my sister. Pardon the mess, it is really not this messy all the time:)

ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: how is YOUR studio desk?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:28:22 PM »
Is that a Rhodes Suitcase in the far corner? <drool>
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline geetar_geek79

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:30:03 PM »
We have the same heater, lol! :lol:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 01:00:01 PM »
@Kit, yes it is. Good eye! Not very many people who don't play keys know, or even care about things like the Rhodes. I got it in pretty good condition and just had to do a bit of maintenance on the hammers and the pads, otherwise, she plays really well. My uncle, a Bossa Nova fan, is attached to this thing whenever he comes over to play or record some of his own stuff.

@guitargeek: yah. ang init sa heater na yun especially nowadays! wooh! normally, merong pot of water sa itaas para mag humidify sa studio kase naka store yung mga acoustic ko in the same place.

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 08:21:47 PM »
wow! a rhodes!

now im curious how it looks like when its all tidy and full on!
pics! :)

Offline spazzkid

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 08:29:22 PM »
my home studio more or less looks makalat as well with all the wires hanging out. kaso mas konti gamit ko at wala akong rhodes. heheheh.

Offline Thechief

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 08:55:21 PM »
haha..kahit malayo yung rhodes eh parang yun yung una mong mapapansin... astiiiggg... di pa ako nakakakita ng ganyan sa personal.. san ba may nakadisplay na ganyan dito sa pinas?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 01:02:28 AM »
I thought I knew a lot of different processors, but what's that processor with the blue knobs, abyss?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 01:08:20 AM »
wow! a rhodes!

now im curious how it looks like when its all tidy and full on!
pics! :)

i will try and post more pics when I get them. bago ko lang na nakuha yung raxxess rack cabinet kase yung old one ko ran out of space. naka score ako ng bagong piece of gear, a Manley Passive EQ from a studio going out of business, and medyo malaki so kelangan ko ng bagong rack to house it. i try and keep my gear minimal and I have never owned an outboard EQ of my own so it was a nice add on.

@Kit: the one on top or the one on the bottom in the rack? the item in the rack that has bluish things on it is just a rack CD player. the rest of my stereo stuff - an old Sansui AU-770 Integrated amp and a Sansui CA-3000 preamp - is going to go directly under it. i have never upgraded my audio listening stuff to the "Pro Logic" stuff available nowadays because I grew up with analog gear and like the stereo sound much better. my stereo equipment is actually older than me by 3 or 4 years.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 01:12:13 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 01:37:03 AM »
The "processor" is on top of a box which itself is on top of your desk at about 3 o'clock in the pic. It looks to me like a stereo processor since it seems to have duplicated left and right channel controls. Either that or that's the largest slot-loading twin CD player I've seen in a long time... and with blue knobs, too!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 01:53:21 AM »
syet kainngit mga kagamitan ni kapatid...

(me write to santa)" Dear Santa, pagkaloob nyo din sakin mga ganyang kagamitan para sa aking pambahay na recording setup. nagpakabait naman ako ngayong taon na to pramis. nagmamahal jepoy"
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 07:56:23 AM »
The "processor" is on top of a box which itself is on top of your desk at about 3 o'clock in the pic. It looks to me like a stereo processor since it seems to have duplicated left and right channel controls. Either that or that's the largest slot-loading twin CD player I've seen in a long time... and with blue knobs, too!

Haha...nah, that isn't a Cd player. The one with the greenish lookin' knobs is a Crane Song STC-8 which is actually a stereo compressor. The one close to it on the left is one of my UA LA-2A. I am in the processor of replacing its tubes.

@jepoy: simple naman yung mga gear pre, nothing flashy. hilig ako na mag shop sa mga used classifieds at flea markets. kung hindi naman available na used, kayod ng kayod sa sideline projects para makapag reinvest ako into something na magamit ko for the long haul kase hindi ako hilig sa constant upgrades. maraming tao na hindi gusto na mag maintain sa old gear like the Rhodes so, kung meron kang skills sa electronics, oks na naman, if it needs maintenance and oyu know where to get the parts. Ang problema lang noon since wala akong auto back then nag rent ako ng U-Haul pickup truck para mag pickup sa piano na yun. My god, ang bigat...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 08:08:56 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 09:01:30 AM »
wow.

dahil ang ganda ng gamit.

wow.

dahil ang gulo.  (im not the one to cast the first stone though hehe)

nice, abyss.  :-D

« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 09:02:36 AM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 09:22:37 AM »
lol. salamat starfugger. try ng try ako na hindi magulo pero for some reason yung kalat magsisimula without my noticing sometimes. so before i know it - bam! still, try ng try ako para mag clean every so often. i was rearranging everything in the rack when my brother saw the mess...the look on his face was pretty funny when he said,"Alam ko na magulo usually dito pero, man, this is the worst na nakita ko! Saan ang mga aso? Dandun ba sa ilalim ng kalat?"

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 01:50:23 PM »
I call my desk "the black hole of... stuff". It seems to attract everything from screws to pens to plastic ties, flashllights, a growing stack of cd's/dvd's from Future Music/SoS and Emu, and numerous flyers from Yellow Cab/Pizza Hut/Domino's - what is it about music and pizza? (There's even a small figure of the Jollibee Darth Vader sitting on top of my monitor.)  :oops:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 02:42:24 PM »
hahaha - I can relate! It IS a black hole of stuff, and I can also relate to the Future Music and Sos stuff since I love reading those two magazines and using their freebies. Pero hindi flyers ang nagkalat lately sa desk ko, its Post-It notes :-P

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 02:57:25 PM »
uu nga no... laging may pizza involve  pag may recording ngayon ko lang napansin yun ah
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 01:27:22 AM »
uu nga no... laging may pizza involve  pag may recording ngayon ko lang napansin yun ah

pizza nga - adik ako sa Pizza Hut.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 04:06:57 PM »
Currently rebuilding mine.  I wanna use two sets of monitors and gotta buy new rack rails.  Also need a quiet box for the PC.  Damn I hate wood and how much it costs nowadays. I just built my bass traps and diffusers and the wood prices freaked me out.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 12:42:47 AM »
Currently rebuilding mine.  I wanna use two sets of monitors and gotta buy new rack rails.  Also need a quiet box for the PC.  Damn I hate wood and how much it costs nowadays. I just built my bass traps and diffusers and the wood prices freaked me out.

yeah, real wood costs quite a lot. yun nga na i am thinking about using MDF as a substitute if the cost of 3/4 plywood costs a ton still.

Offline geetar_geek79

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 05:47:25 AM »
Here's mine.  Inayos ko muna hehe.  Dont mind the door, it's just a back door and I still have other means to enter and exit my room...  besides the windows. :-D  Gotta set your priorities ya know, extra door or space for gear, hehe.  My "studio" is also my entertainment system, game center, etc.  and thanks to Intel Core  2 Duo for that. :-D  Kayang-kaya pa naman dahil I'm not doing intensive recordings yet.  I'm using dual monitor set up as well.  Isa sa TV (the big one), isa for other things like net surfing.  Gamit ko yung KRK sa tracking/mixing lang.  Kapag naglalaro ako ng Half-Life 2 yung sorround na Logitech speakers ginagamit ko (couldn't fit in the pic).  First time ko rin makagamit ng XP Media Center and I'm loving it.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 06:59:49 AM »
woooooh! ang sarap ng LCD screen.

Offline geetar_geek79

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 08:24:54 AM »
 :-D

TV ko talaga yan, kinabit ko lang sa PC.

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 12:49:13 PM »
wooow! sarap! haha

question: u have both the monitors and also logitech speakers. How do u switch to which ever u want to use? How do you turn off the other set of speakers and just use the other one? Can u use both simultaneously??

Offline geetar_geek79

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 01:10:22 PM »
wooow! sarap! haha

question: u have both the monitors and also logitech speakers. How do u switch to which ever u want to use? How do you turn off the other set of speakers and just use the other one? Can u use both simultaneously??

dalawa yung soundcard ng pc ko.  isa yung creative (came with the pc), tapos yung firewire interface ko na mackie (soundcard din kase turing ng pc dito).  nakakabit yung monitors sa mackie, yung logitech sa creative na soundcard.  turn on ko lang yung mackie kapag magrerecord ako then nagsi-switch na yung pc ng soundcard.  then turn off ko kung mag-i-internet lang ako or games at lilipat ulit yung pc sa creative.  mas priority niya yung mackie kesa sa creative.  kung hindi siya automatically mag-switch, punta lang ako sa audio properties nung pc tapos palit ng sound device.  :-)