hulika

Author Topic: Is an original electric guitar matters than local?  (Read 123853 times)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Is an original electric guitar matters than local?
« Reply #425 on: December 22, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »
Nope.  I am not saying that I am the only one who can pick a good suhr but you have to pick out a good one.  The suhr guys can.

so the other official dealers cannot?

I have not lost anything even as a guitarist.  Sorry I am NOT a musician yet as you claim to be.
well then you have something to look into for 2010

Am I suppose the musician as some kind of badge thing?  Man, I'd rather be myself.
like some of us here? and yet you want to say we shouldnt be? Goodluck..

when you do actually have your own songs, defining it through how you execute it + the tone it generates..then i would listen..

there is no doubt about how good the craft of the guitars you own, but when it comes to perspectives and being and individual guitar player? you're a bigot..
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:16:15 PM by bryanarzaga »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #426 on: December 22, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »
so the other official dealers cannot?

(the only reason na pinakiusapan ko ang Suhr Factory guys is because they get to hear all their suhrs that come out.  I hate doing this but this is a series of personal email correspondence to me:
"Some guitars do stand out more than others, so it's really hard to guarantee that another guitar will be just like that Modern you just got. We really won't know how a guitar will sound until we put one together. We'll try our best, but as you know, no two guitars are quite the same. What kind of a Classic did you have in mind?"

("The issue here is that every guitar is made to order and we are over 5 months backordered. I'm not sure how we can proceed on this one as we'll take one order from a dealer and then ship that particular guitar to the dealer when it is completed."

and finally after several months...

"Hi Alex,I think this is the one you want. It just got finished a few days ago and it has the nitro-cellulose lacquer without the aging process. It's one of the new Vintage Series guitars we introduced this year. It really resonates beautifully. All of the guitars are great but this one does have that extra little mojo happening")

This is a case where you'd just have to play a bunch at a dealer that has 'em in stock and pick out the one you like the most.

like some of us here? and yet you want to say we shouldnt be?

(Oh no... you can be yourself but be aware of the possible risks.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:15:12 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #427 on: December 22, 2009, 08:25:07 PM »

dude we freakin know that, that's why its never even best to buy online for guitars that have that price tag it requires alot of scrutiny and doesnt fall to a credit of how good the top is, this is a ever looping explanation..

read the email, im sure you have or printed it?! its all there!

We really won't know how a guitar will sound until we put one together.

We'll try our best, but as you know, no two guitars are quite the same.

and who said one can already tell that the guitar is good sounding just before its even finished??? jeez fairytale land

there's no arguing on the quality level of the guitars Alex, i have tried and test them at daves(suhr dealer), the plek made every part of the neck consistent in fretting, now which one is good sounding? that's why try em in store before buying it

Also in closing for me, Alex thanks for the email posts because reading through it..just proves alot..all this time, about personal preferences, about you aswell

This is the thread of the year for 2009
  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:47:18 PM by bryanarzaga »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #428 on: December 23, 2009, 12:03:15 AM »
after all that discussion...i somehow fail to see the unique discussion topic. in essence, what was being thrown around for argument was a set of obvious assumptions? (ie. you'll never know how a guitar sounds until it is done - duh)

i do have one comment about this lovely quote though: Am I suppose the musician as some kind of badge thing?  Man, I'd rather be myself. Supposed to be some kind of badge? Uh, yeah. How else would someone have the intuition to tell good tone apart from bad tone as a result of playing, gigging or scr#wing around on the guitar? Now you don't have to be a world class virtuoso, that wasn't the point, but you do have to be able to play to have some kind of validity to declaring "tone requirements." This is only logical. Hell, a plumber can have tone requirements, my grandmother can have tone requirements, the guy selling sago can have tone requirements....but that doesn't mean that I'd weigh their understanding and intuition of tone more than someone who actually plays and might know what they are talking about in a more meaningful way.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #429 on: December 23, 2009, 12:06:15 AM »
I think the point is even if you try to spec something out, not even the suhr guys can definitely tell you how good it will be until its strung.  And its true that no two guitars are alike but dont disregard the statement "All of the guitars are great but this one does have that extra little mojo happening" which you seem to easily gloss over.  I never sought to inquire what mojo meant and I do agree it has mojo and so does my close luthier friend who is not easily impressed by anything.  So that says something about our ability to agree on a minimum standard for a great sounding guitar.

I technically bought a guitar blind which goes to show that I really don't need to spec it out as long as you can trust the guys choosing for you and that you are purely after tone.  Unfortunately, you cannot spec out tone.  As another famous friend once told me, ultimately only God knows how to create tone.  I am just fortunate enough to get his blessings along the way.  No other way to explain.  I and my luthier friend have discussed this and there is not pattern.  All we do agree on is its the magic of the wood.  As to how that piece of wood becomes magical, we leave that up to God.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #430 on: December 23, 2009, 12:15:19 AM »
after all that discussion...i somehow fail to see the unique discussion topic. in essence, what was being thrown around for argument was a set of obvious assumptions? (ie. you'll never know how a guitar sounds until it is done - duh)

i do have one comment about this lovely quote though: Am I suppose the musician as some kind of badge thing?  Man, I'd rather be myself. Supposed to be some kind of badge? Uh, yeah. How else would someone have the intuition to tell good tone apart from bad tone as a result of playing, gigging or scr#wing around on the guitar? Now you don't have to be a world class virtuoso, that wasn't the point, but you do have to be able to play to have some kind of validity to declaring "tone requirements." This is only logical. Hell, a plumber can have tone requirements, my grandmother can have tone requirements, the guy selling sago can have tone requirements....but that doesn't mean that I'd weigh their understanding and intuition of tone more than someone who actually plays and might know what they are talking about in a more meaningful way.

Well thats why I specified a specific recording and sorry to burst your bubble, you don't have to be a musician to know what good tone is.  Just in the same way there are so called musicians who have bad tone.  "The audience is listening..."  Or the other possibility is, I am a musician and nobody wants to admit that.  Whatever it is, being a musician is just a word that people throw around to make themselves feel better.  If other musicians who are technically more proficient than a lot of people in this forum AND more successful commercially can recognize the Baker#55 as  truly something special that says something about the insecurities of people who need the musician's badge.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #431 on: December 23, 2009, 12:51:04 AM »
Whatever it is, being a musician is just a word that people throw around to make themselves feel better.  
-really? lots of golden nuggets in this phrase so i ain't even gonna touch it.

If other musicians who are technically more proficient than a lot of people in this forum AND more successful commercially can recognize the Baker#55 as  truly something special that says something about the insecurities of people who need the musician's badge.
quite the leap from the original statement i suggested. so now, if one isn't proficient and commercially successful they can't recognize the merit of an instrument despite being able to play decently because they have an innate insecurity? you aren't a metaphysics professor are you? please note that these weren't parameters of my original statement and neither was insecurity as a factor so let's stick to the original issue at hand. i explicitly said you didn't need to be a virtuoso to be able to have insight into tone but you do have to at least play decently to have a good and significant understanding of whatever opinion you are trying to push.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:00:50 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #432 on: December 23, 2009, 12:54:52 AM »

lol i like what you added there abbys, i'm done i saw the builders answers and have been smiling since i woke up and lol'ed  alot..

This is the thread of the year for 2009

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #433 on: December 23, 2009, 12:58:30 AM »
quite the leap from the original statement i suggested. so now, if one isn't proficient and commercially successful they can't recognize the merit of an instrument despite being able to play decently because they have an innate insecurity?

like what was posted before...Lady Gaga knows tone.. :lol:

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #434 on: December 23, 2009, 01:23:12 AM »
so an original electric guitars matters than local...  8-)

Ok na guys. I-close na ang thread. hehe.

this is too epic for a thread to close. 3 years and running.  :lol:
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #435 on: December 23, 2009, 01:27:58 AM »
As to how that piece of wood becomes magical, we leave that up to God.

as to how it becomes so hyped, we leave that up to consumerism and the almighty interwebz.
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline giftmones

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #436 on: December 23, 2009, 01:36:06 AM »
 :-) :-D

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #437 on: December 23, 2009, 01:49:05 AM »
What you own, owns you.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2009, 02:00:21 AM »
as to how it becomes so hyped, we leave that up to consumerism and the almighty interwebz.
nah. it only becomes hyped because "musicians" apparently is a null and useless term that occupies the same niche as colonial practices in modern society, largely redundant in practical use, thrown around with no regard for proper application and subjectively relative to actual skill. we cling to such pieces of wood like guitars because we have an inherent insecurity that prevents us from knowing what the hell we are talking about, and the only remedial condition is to be extremely proficient and commercially successful where one is able to gargle with Cristal, wipe muddy shoes on stacks of Benjamins and use copious amounts of diamonds to adorn teeth (grillz). if you have access to all of these...you might, no, you should, be able to have some kind of informed opinion about music. afterall, you got money, a brain to form an idea (no matter how rationally convoluted) and a functional auditory system, the primary requirements of having an opinion of significance and extreme clarity for musical appreciation, so, ultimately, who the hell really cares if you aren't able to actually use the instrument that you've got?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 03:19:16 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #439 on: December 23, 2009, 02:21:04 AM »
nah. it only becomes hyped because "musicians" apparently is a null and useless term that occupies the same niche as colonial practices in modern society, largely redundant in practical use, thrown around with no regard for proper application and subjectively relative to actual skill. we cling to such pieces of wood like guitars because we have an inherent insecurity that prevents us from knowing what the hell we are talking about, and the only remedial condition is to be extremely proficient and commercially successful where one is able to gargle with Cristal, wipe muddy shoes on stacks of Benjamins and use copious amounts of diamonds to adorn teeth (grillz). if you have access to all of these...you might, no, you should, be able to have some kind of informed opinion about music. afterall, you got money, a brain to form idea (no matter how rationally convoluted) and a functional auditory system, the primary requirements of having an opinion of significance and extreme clarity for musical appreciation, so, ultimately, who the hell really cares if you aren't able to actually use the instrument that you've got?

hahaha! i love it man.
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #440 on: December 23, 2009, 07:09:37 AM »
pag lasing na, madalas wala ng pakialam nakikinig sa nadidinig...

self preference leads to self contentment  :lol:

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #441 on: December 23, 2009, 07:09:56 AM »
I think the point is even if you try to spec something out, not even the suhr guys can definitely tell you how good it will be until its strung.  And its true that no two guitars are alike but dont disregard the statement "All of the guitars are great but this one does have that extra little mojo happening" which you seem to easily gloss over.  I never sought to inquire what mojo meant and I do agree it has mojo and so does my close luthier friend who is not easily impressed by anything.  So that says something about our ability to agree on a minimum standard for a great sounding guitar.

whattt??? if a luthier friend who is not easily impressed concides with your thinking on a specific guitar then IT IS WHAT IT IS????

i am also not impressed easily, and my luthier friend too.. that says something... oh, my friend aint easily impressed too.. and he can play.. oh, my world famous guitarist friend who uses "other" guitar and is easily impressed is sucky, and his tone preference sucks.. oh, my other friend has other tone preference as you are, too bad his minimum is [gooey brown stuff]..
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline screamingguitars

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #442 on: December 23, 2009, 07:20:32 AM »
Thread of the year indeed ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:..Lets just rock and roll brothers!

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #443 on: December 23, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »
sino ba kasing bumuhay dito??  :lol: :lol: :lol:
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

[This signature has been blocked in accordance to RA No. 10175]

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #444 on: December 23, 2009, 08:15:14 AM »
sino ba kasing bumuhay dito??  :lol: :lol: :lol:

backread ka sir makikita mo hehehheeh

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #445 on: December 23, 2009, 10:16:45 AM »
whattt??? if a luthier friend who is not easily impressed concides with your thinking on a specific guitar then IT IS WHAT IT IS????

i am also not impressed easily, and my luthier friend too.. that says something... oh, my friend aint easily impressed too.. and he can play.. oh, my world famous guitarist friend who uses "other" guitar and is easily impressed is sucky, and his tone preference sucks.. oh, my other friend has other tone preference as you are, too bad his minimum is [gooey brown stuff]..

Well what matters is that my luthier friend has more credibility in guitar selection than you... sa hirit mo lang mukhang level 1 ka palang sa guitar selection.  Just my opinion though I can prove it.  Just bring your guitar and lets compare versus my guitars.

Offline pangalan

• Veteran Member
« Reply #446 on: December 23, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
Well what matters is that my luthier friend has more credibility in guitar selection than you... sa hirit mo lang mukhang level 1 ka palang sa guitar selection.  Just my opinion though I can prove it.  Just bring your guitar and lets compare versus my guitars.
oh man...

Offline orangeogre

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #447 on: December 23, 2009, 10:42:54 AM »
Let's get ready to rrrrruuuummmbbbblllleeee!!!!  :mrgreen:

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #448 on: December 23, 2009, 10:53:04 AM »
Well what matters is that my luthier friend has more credibility in guitar selection than you... sa hirit mo lang mukhang level 1 ka palang sa guitar selection.  Just my opinion though I can prove it.  Just bring your guitar and lets compare versus my guitars.

yes i'm level 1 but level 100 people does not tell the things you do :-D

plus, my post is a sarcasm and you dint get that.. i know my guitar selection doesn't really matter, because i choose my guitar according to my preference. whether you like what i choose or not, dont care :-D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:56:53 AM by pitongjerome »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #449 on: December 23, 2009, 10:56:17 AM »
yes i'm level 1 but level 100 people does not tell the things you do :-D

yes pero ito ang issue na dapat natin i-tanong: is an level 100 person matters than level 1 person?