hulika

Author Topic: Experts answer this: do noise suppressor pedals cuts your sustained notes??  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Zacchary_amadeus

• Forum Fanatic
Do noise gate/ noise suppressor pedals cut your sustained notes while playing???
With out using compressors??
I mean when you play a whole note and sustain its sound does the pedal reduce it??
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:45:04 PM by Zacchary_amadeus »
\"Why worry if you can pray\"

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
That will depend on your noise gate's threshold,so depending on your setting,it may cut of a note trail in a bad way.
"Join the darkside,we have cookies."

Offline Master At Arms

Also depends on the brand. ISP Decimators are awesome in this regard, especially the G String II.

M A
“Now I see that I will never find the light
Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel,
Consuming myself.” - Bruce Lee https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007963455307

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
Also depends on the brand. ISP Decimators are awesome in this regard, especially the G String II.

M A
Even the original ISP Decimator was awesome. I can only imagine how much more they improved since then. I had it in as first in line in my rack system to cut down the high gain hiss. I had it in a looper so it was not in the signal chain when not needed. It worked so well, it was as like it wasn't there at all except you the high gain hiss/noise is drastically reduced. There was no cutting of sustain at all. Anyway, back to the topic, it depends on the noise gate and how it is used. As mentioned, ISP makes an excellent one. Also as mentioned, depends on the threshold setting also. But if you have to crank the threshold knob to the point of cutting your sustain just to kill the noise, you might have other noise issues that you need to address first. My friend had a Boss NS-2. No matter what we tried, we had to turn up the threshold to kill the noise in his rig. But then his sustain suffered. Instead of trailing off naturally, it would cut off at the end. Then we decided to swap out the V1 preamp tube and bam... noise was brought down.

Offline Master At Arms

@Ubersam

Yep, the ISP stuff is tops in my books.

I'm always looking out for new gear and  became interested in the TC Electronic Sentry, that is until I saw this vid:

“Now I see that I will never find the light
Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel,
Consuming myself.” - Bruce Lee https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007963455307

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
@Ubersam

Yep, the ISP stuff is tops in my books.

I'm always looking out for new gear and  became interested in the TC Electronic Sentry, that is until I saw this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLcYhsPDvuE
Oh man, that was pretty bad, the Sentry, bad as in "not good". ISP still wins.

Offline jgmredor

Oh man, that was pretty bad, the Sentry, bad as in "not good". ISP still wins.

The Behringer effect perhaps?

BTT... used the MXR Smart Gate... there was some high end sparkle missing when I used it. Sustain loss is barely noticeable.

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Behringer effect perhaps?

BTT... used the MXR Smart Gate... there was some high end sparkle missing when I used it. Sustain loss is barely noticeable.

I used the Smart Gate on my an amps fx loop, at minimum. solid naman.

Offline Zacchary_amadeus

• Forum Fanatic
So isp decimator will be in my budget list next to boss ns2 lol..
Thanks for the infos guys.. Anyway recommend more noise suppressors.. How about
The mooer noise killer for cheapos??
\"Why worry if you can pray\"

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
So isp decimator will be in my budget list next to boss ns2 lol..
Thanks for the infos guys.. Anyway recommend more noise suppressors.. How about
The mooer noise killer for cheapos??

NS2 is more like the pussy of all noise supressors. cheapest stuff you can get is  MXR's smartgate it has its limits but it'll get the job done, but if you want real bang for the buck stuff,go for the ISP.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
The non-G-String ISP Decimator II is only a few $$ more than the smart gate ($134.99 vs $129.99 @ sweetwater.com). The only difference between the G-String and non-G-String is the dedicated in/out for the amp effect loop send/return. But the non-G-String can still be used in the efx loop.