hulika

Author Topic: USB and Firewire Mixers  (Read 24614 times)

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
Re: USB and Firewire Mixers
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2007, 11:34:48 PM »
same here.  when i do musical scorin, i notice that the external drives used for the video files are usb2.  guess it works with a properly setup work station.

btw, audio doesn't have as high bandwidth requirements like video - unless maybe you're workin with 64bit 192KHz audio.

:-) :-) :-)

...my Roland VariOS is connected to my USB2 port right now and the Roland is recognized as a drive and I transfer wave files for processing with the VariOS. ..

OT:  sir kitc, how's the roland variOS?  does it work like a sampler?
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2007, 11:54:01 PM »
regarding video editing / video transfer....

USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 cant really transfer the exact pixel size of a video at 720X480 or 720x540 that is captured on DV Tape. Yes i agree that its fast but video quality wise will not pass an tv airing broadcast or into dvd. Before USB was developed to be a part of a camcorder... IEEE 1394 (firewire) was  created and perfected to capture what analog video to digital converters can do also.

So in conclusion.... QUALITY WISE... Go with firewire.

cool!  didn't know bout that re:video capture.  always wondered kasi why the home video stuff i try to capture always looks so grainy.  guess i should use a firewire cable from now on.  really does look grainy when watchin our home videos on a bravia.  hehe.

tnx sir jepoy.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2007, 12:01:07 AM »

cool!  didn't know bout that re:video capture.  always wondered kasi why the home video stuff i try to capture always looks so grainy.  guess i should use a firewire cable from now on.  really does look grainy when watchin our home videos on a bravia.  hehe.

tnx sir jepoy.

hehehe np bro. my profession isnt really an audio engineer. ive been working with videos for 10+ years already with major tv stations and as a freelance.

i only use usb video capture if for VCD's only but with SVCD and DVD's i capture them thru 1394
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2007, 11:51:06 AM »
same here.  when i do musical scorin, i notice that the external drives used for the video files are usb2.  guess it works with a properly setup work station.

btw, audio doesn't have as high bandwidth requirements like video - unless maybe you're workin with 64bit 192KHz audio.

That's what I mean by continuous bandwidth. The 480 Mbps for USB2 and 400 Mbps for firewire usually reflect burst speeds unlike continuous sustained bandwidth which is critical for video and high samplerate multitrack audio. Firewire can consistently deliver packets of data because it does some sort of bus mastering and deloads the cpu from working on the data freeing it to work with the video stream; this is the main problem with any form of usb - cpu loading. Video, especially video streaming, has the highest "strain factor" of any form of data processing on a computer.

...my Roland VariOS is connected to my USB2 port right now and the Roland is recognized as a drive and I transfer wave files for processing with the VariOS. ..

OT:  sir kitc, how's the roland variOS?  does it work like a sampler?

It's sort of like a sampler but it works using Rolands VariPhrase technology. Sort of like a vocoder and yet not. I can't explain it in detail since I just got the unit and I'm still trying to make sense of how it manipulates wave files. Most likely will fool around with it more during the holy week when I have more time.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2007, 01:35:47 PM »
...Firewire can consistently deliver packets of data because it does some sort of bus mastering and deloads the cpu from working on the data freeing it to work with the video stream; this is the main problem with any form of usb - cpu loading...

will there be a difference, bandwidth-wise,  with respect to the firewire bein directly on the motherboard, by-passin the pci bus, or whether it's gonna be usin the pci bus, like on pci cards?  i'm not sure kasi if understand this correctly, pero the pci bus does have its limitations when loaded with different devices.

....It's sort of like a sampler but it works using Rolands VariPhrase technology. Sort of like a vocoder and yet not. I can't explain it in detail since I just got the unit and I'm still trying to make sense of how it manipulates wave files. Most likely will fool around with it more during the holy week when I have more time...

nice!  must be great for sound design stuff.

tnx sir kitc!

Offline redcomet_m

« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2007, 02:14:44 PM »
aaa, so it does work well with audio :D

since like what jepoy and Kit reiterated, video needs consistency in bandwidth and usb2 sad to say fails on this part.

Its frustraiting though that DAW manufacturers knows the limit of the usb port and i cant see the friggin point for makin usb1.1 based controllers when its not really delivering what it says it could. And to make matters worst, they charge high for it. Haynako

Anyway, anybody heard  eSATA? i hope the big names explore on this port, and if, IF they succeed in utilizing this on their current line, this might bring firewire-based devices down. And i mean "plummetting" down :D

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2007, 03:20:43 PM »
eSATA for Audio Hardwares?

Maybe for external harddrives...

haaaaaaaaayy technology!!

Offline guitarer7

• Netizen Level
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2007, 04:54:06 AM »
Phonic released new generation helixboard FW with the postfix “MKII”. There are quite a number of interesting modifications of this release. For 18FW, a new heat sink replaces the previous model's fan, so you'll get even quieter operation. Also MKII model's effects are now selectable pre/post. Pre/post switch for swapping streaming input channels to computer from pre low cut, EQ to post EQ, post channel fader.

Would be this new feature can record the insert, EQ and effects to your streaming while tracking? To some, this might not be necessary and useful but this would be a cool feature to some home recording hobbyist.

Sir Hunter,

Where did you buy your Phonic? locally ba or got it from the net? how much? thnks...

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2007, 09:56:01 PM »
Sir Hunter,

Where did you buy your Phonic? locally ba or got it from the net? how much? thnks...

I bought it from Bangkok
Let your ears teach your fingers.  :wink:

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2007, 10:08:21 PM »
Sir Hunter,

I bought it from Bangkok

Bro... how was your phonic firewire? dami ko kasing nabasang review na may humming daw eh. do you also get the same problem?

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2007, 10:32:16 PM »
Bro... how was your phonic firewire? dami ko kasing nabasang review na may humming daw eh. do you also get the same problem?
No I don't experience any humming at all. When I first setup my Phonic I run a cable from the body of the mixer to my common ground wire. I haven't tested without ground wire though, maybe that's the cause of the hum. Here's the sample clip using Phonic helixboard I posted in other post.

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,38263.0.html

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »
nice... at first mas gs2 ko nga din bilhin yan coz mas fogi ang itsura and its cheaper pero nabili na na agad ng friend ko alesis ko sa US eh.

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2007, 11:12:35 PM »
I'm recommending Phonic to a friend and he's considering to buy one. If I need more tracks we can daisy chain the 2 mixers. I think the Alesis can do the same.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2007, 12:25:07 AM »
I'm recommending Phonic to a friend and he's considering to buy one. If I need more tracks we can daisy chain the 2 mixers. I think the Alesis can do the same.

daisy chain using the other firewire slot on the mixer?

Offline Agent_So

• Veteran Member
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2007, 12:38:15 AM »
i think what he mean sir is submix.... i dont know kung tama term ko sa iniisip ko! ahahahha
Solemn Harmony Studio
Blk-1, Lot-7, Diamond St., Silverhomes Classic, Perpetual Village 7, Bacoor, Cavite. CELL: 0915-492-2800 (Premier,Peavey,Hartke,Mackie,JBL,Shure,DBX,Zoom)

Offline neil_squadron

• Veteran Member
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2007, 12:40:15 AM »

kung alesis hanap mo,try mo pakukuha sa singapore

bagasakan din dun ang alesis dun

we got our alesis 8mm firewire for sumwhere bet 16-19 k,peso converted..sumbody said
its 33k here..

i got mine for less than 10k

alesis multimix 8 firewire
less than 10k????!!!!!

is that a firewire  or usb???

brand new or 2nd hand

16k is brand new..kuha nmn sa singapore

we didnt knw thrs a less than 10k na firewire alesis multimix

sayang nga nmn kng meron ngang less than 10k
contact: 0905 5546913; ym: neil_squadron81<br />subzeroefx.multiply.com;neil_squadron08@yahoo.com<br />FS/FT :  http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,137191.0.html

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2007, 12:44:45 AM »

we got our alesis 8mm firewire for sumwhere bet 16-19 k,peso converted..sumbody said
its 33k here..

less than 10k????!!!!!

brand new or 2nd hand

brand new bro yung alesis 16 ko naman less than 20k firewire lahat

Offline neil_squadron

• Veteran Member
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2007, 12:48:47 AM »
I heard so much about this Alesis USB mixer in this forums.  is it then a better option for straters like me.  kung kunin ko sa US ng mga 12K, then it is OK.  is it better than the other entry level soultions like M-Audio, EMU and behringer?  I want to get started and record my guitar tracks and vocals. is this for me?

and even if I get the 4 channel mixer, can i record more tracks than 4 with the software bundle?  I heard it should be as simple as assigning the mic input to the channel in the PC.

please guide a beginer like me.

Mr. KitC, I think you are the GURU here

go for the firewire instead of usb

sa firewire 8mm,u can record 8 trcks simultaneuosly sa software mo
via firewire

thu,maraming option

u can get a mixer lang
then hook it up to a pci based interface like delta 1010lt bla bla
to acquire multi tracking

at marami pa!!!!

contact: 0905 5546913; ym: neil_squadron81<br />subzeroefx.multiply.com;neil_squadron08@yahoo.com<br />FS/FT :  http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,137191.0.html

Offline neil_squadron

• Veteran Member
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2007, 12:52:34 AM »

its 33k here..

less than 10k????!!!!!

brand new or 2nd hand

brand new bro yung alesis 16 ko naman less than 20k firewire lahat

COME AGaIN bro,hnd ko nagets yng post mo
medyo nalito ko..xenxa na

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2007, 01:02:42 AM »
i mean mas mura yung kinukuhanan ko...

Alesis Multimix 8   Firewire -  P  9,500.00
Alesis Multimix 16 Firewire -  P19,000.00

all brand new

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2007, 08:37:46 AM »
daisy chain using the other firewire slot on the mixer?

Phonic has got two firewire port to allow you for daisy chaining. I think Multimix puede rin.

Offline neil_squadron

• Veteran Member
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2007, 10:26:24 AM »

all brand new

bro bka pede mo i share kng san ka nakakakuha ng murang alesis na firewire
hehehe

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2007, 12:39:46 PM »

all brand new

bro bka pede mo i share kng san ka nakakakuha ng murang alesis na firewire
hehehe

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,34395.0.html - check this out

Offline smarty

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2007, 04:35:19 PM »
pansin ko lang, phonic and alesis both uses cubase LE, me iba pa bang software na compatible para dito?

tnx

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2007, 07:30:36 PM »
pansin ko lang, phonic and alesis both uses cubase LE, me iba pa bang software na compatible para dito?

tnx

Practically any DAW software will work with these, it's the mixer's drivers that are important. Cubase LE is only part of the free bundled software.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire