hulika

Author Topic: The Jean-Luc Ponty / American Idol Connection  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Jean-Luc Ponty / American Idol Connection
« on: January 28, 2007, 01:56:53 PM »
Chette got me turned on to American Idol (I never watched a single episode before) with season 6 by downloading the first four episodes (auditions in various US cities) which I found hilarious, so now I'm hooked. However what really shocked me was finding out through Wikipedia that the judge Randy Jackson is actually the same Randy Jackson who played bass with violinist Jean-Luc Ponty's band!!!

I can imagine him saying "Hey Jean-Luc, you dawg!!! Dude, that was dope."

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Re: The Jean-Luc Ponty / American Idol Connection
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:55:45 PM »
Yup! I didn't realize that at first, 'til I saw a Bass Player issue with him on the cover - with that infamous 'American Idol' blurb of course ..

So much for musical evolution ..  :roll:

I've never seen a single episode of AI either, but I knew his name sounded distinctly familiar.

And I'm not sure which Luc Ponty albums he played on, but the ones that I remember more were the ones with Ralphe Armstrong on bass.

So much for dandy Randy ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 12:06:26 AM »
well i also watch am idol because of the back up band which can cover all the songs interpreted by the contestants, including "the whipping post" (allman brothers - which bo bice sang) right down to the guitar and organ licks...
also magaling ang sound engineering lalo na when finals na...

yup that randy jackson item came out of left field... he he
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:22:32 AM »
So, noy, which albums did Randy play on na nga?

You're the big Ponty fan, diba?  :-D

Which reminds me, I have to dig up that tune, 'The Art of Happiness'
"No static at all ..."

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:48:23 AM »
here, prepare and be shocked and raise your brows
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:53rn283t058a~T4

art of happiness

Am - D

Am   Eb7  D7 Db7 CM7 B7 Bb7
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 01:03:51 AM »
Wow! 'Nuff said .. the guy's obviously paid his dues .. whew!
"No static at all ..."

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 09:40:47 AM »
ei .

Yup am more familiar with Armstrong's work than Jackson's. I think he may have been with the group where Jamie Glasier was on guitar.

Or perhaps, the later works like Tchokola.

But it's still the EGOCENTRIC album for me (which includes Art of Hapiness, Puppet's Dance, etc. ) and ENIGMATIC VOYAGE (OR ocean?) with Daryl Stuermer and HOLDSWORTH!!! :-D

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 12:24:03 PM »
Chette got me turned on to American Idol (I never watched a single episode before) with season 6 by downloading the first four episodes (auditions in various US cities) which I found hilarious, so now I'm hooked.

Same with you Jim, I never watched AI before. That changed last week when I saw the elims har har har... it seems to me that these common Americans don't even know if they have an iota of singing talent.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 08:31:34 AM »
well i also watch am idol because of the back up band which can cover all the songs interpreted by the contestants, including "the whipping post" (allman brothers - which bo bice sang) right down to the guitar and organ licks...
also magaling ang sound engineering lalo na when finals na...

yup that randy jackson item came out of left field... he he

Are they as good as the house band in Rockstar Supernova? That's the last musical reality show I followed. The houseband really kills (1000% times better than the Tommy Lee band)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 08:34:48 AM »
And I'm not sure which Luc Ponty albums he played on, but the ones that I remember more were the ones with Ralphe Armstrong on bass.

So much for dandy Randy ..

Yep the album I really liked was "Jean Luc Ponty: LIVE" and that featured a Ralphe Armstrong bass solo. Jackson says his first band out of college was with Billy Cobham, so apparently he does have fusion chops.

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 01:15:53 PM »
Jim,

Didn't he play bass for Al Dimeola also? Parang I remember him playing bass for the Splendido Hotel album.  I am not sure but if I am correct, he is a really good bassist.  He has this distinctive sound and is  very loose in his playing.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 01:22:21 PM »
both bands sa AM IDOL and Rockstar are both !@#$%^ good its just that sa AM IDOL they cover are lot of styles, whereas sa Rockstar talagang rock at its finest. saka puro session/studio musicians sila.  but sa rockstar the singers sing with the band and that's why talagang feel na feel nila. sa AM IDOL naman its just the singer in front and the band stays at the back kasi nga naman its a singing contest.

I remember when Tommy Lee sat in and jammed, talagang naiba ang tunog, its really his forte, although okay din yung drummer na si Nate Morton.

back to topic naman. "Aurora" was my favorite duon sa live album (70's).

Offline working stiff

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 01:34:37 PM »
I recall Randy Jackson namedropping Journey when he commented on a contestant's performance. Ryan Seacrest keeps ribbing Randy Jackson for that habit of namedropping the artists and bands he played with whenever he evaluates the contestants.

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 01:51:13 PM »
I recall Randy Jackson namedropping Journey when he commented on a contestant's performance. Ryan Seacrest keeps ribbing Randy Jackson for that habit of namedropping the artists and bands he played with whenever he evaluates the contestants.

ei.

Parang si Mr. C. with Philippine Idol eh?  :-D

If you saw the Rite of Strings DVD, JLP played a solo spot there titled Eulogy to Oscar Romero where he uses delay and a string section patch. Isn't that number titled 'No Strings Attached' in the JLP Live Album?

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 04:36:56 PM »

Huhh! Randy played for Steve Perry, Jonathan Cain and Neil Schon? Jazz to rock!!!
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 07:06:24 PM »
i first saw his name sa guitar player ads ng dean markley

Offline Rock_Fusion

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 12:31:53 AM »

Huhh! Randy played for Steve Perry, Jonathan Cain and Neil Schon? Jazz to rock!!!

Yup, pink shirts and leather pants and all...