hulika

Author Topic: Guitarists' view on Emo music  (Read 71961 times)

Offline rad_12

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Guitarists' view on Emo music
« Reply #425 on: March 15, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »
ang cute nila...ang cute nilang pag-untugin  :evil:

joke lang  :lol:

Offline snob_you

« Reply #426 on: March 16, 2008, 01:01:43 AM »
pero tingnan niyo mga sir yung shoutout nya sa friendster niya, pinapahiwatig niya na ayaw njiya sa posers. haha. nakakatawa talaga.hehehe

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #427 on: March 16, 2008, 07:16:29 AM »
eehem ehem. back on topic.

why the bigotry on gays tho. are you guys(/haters) homophobes or something? because thats more sissy than being gay.

again, from a guitarist's point of view, plus the original incarnation of emo in mind (1984-1997) its almost always about dynamic songwriting. sad to say lyrics today have since degraded although guitar skills have been improving.

but still, i dont sense anything emotional about "emo" today. call me stuck in the past but believe me. emo in the 90s was a totally different genre than what everyone in this board assumes it to be. to those who actually took time to go to the links i mentioned, i commend you for being open minded. to those who didnt, i also commend you for standing up for what you listen to...

i just dont like the fact that people are now placing genres upon themselves.
 "emo ako" "metal ako" "hip hop ako". punk can pass though since the label is older than the genre. my answer?

paken sheets. CLASSICAL AKO. palag? yeah! im so BACH. HORNS UP! (and trumpets)

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #428 on: March 16, 2008, 07:33:11 AM »
TO METALHEADS:

did you know that the drummer of UNEARTH and THE RED CHORD came from a 90s screamo band called hassan i sabbah?

and the drummer for a life once lost came from this band:

feature=related

awesome drummer... who are ya callin gay now huh?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 01:30:47 PM by paengkee »

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #429 on: March 16, 2008, 10:19:04 AM »
did you know that the drummer of UNEARTH and THE RED CHORD came from a 90s screamo band called NEIL PERRY?

they have seen the light :-D

Offline r0nd0gg

« Reply #430 on: March 16, 2008, 10:58:48 AM »
ok naman emo... pero kung 10 emo bands sa isang gabi parang isang banda lang ang tumugtog.

Offline keida

« Reply #431 on: March 16, 2008, 12:49:22 PM »
recently i had some conversations with friends who, you could safely say, were the more prominent figures in the scene during the mid to late 90's.

for (sort of) old-timers like me, emo will always be the promise ring, the get up kids, texas is the reason, jimmy eat world, jawbox, braid, sensefield, hey mercedes, eliott and the like. then came the likes of grade which defined a turining point in the sound from an indie rock/college rock to a more melodic HC tune.
then when powerviolence became all the rage, some co opted a more moody/screamy vocals to counter the gazillion beats per minute growling that came to define powerviolence. emoviolence was again, a joke term which got lost in the translation and now is known as screamo.

--

my bestfriend's 2 younger sisters had a band and they invited mo to go to this production they were playing. they were quite good considering they're 16 and 18 yeas old and their band had much to improve. but lo and behold, 80% of the bands on the lineup were TYPECAST COVER BANDS.

yup, you read that right.
one band after another.
almost the same songs.
all these kids looked the same

im not a typecast fan but i enjoy their music once in a while and i think they are really good. but to be in a situation where you see all these highschool kids play was unbrarable.  :lol: we could actually guess what type of music they would play by the way they dressed. and hearing the intro of another minute til ten for the nth time would drive us nuts.

but because the reality is that emo/indierock came from a scene that relied on mailorder distros, writing actual letters, grassroots level communication, and hard to get by zines, it didn't reach the mainstream that quick.
although people consider 2002 as the year emo "broke", early attempts by major labels releasing jimmy eat world, jawbox and the like failed and subsequently they got dropped from the labels.

myspace and the internet helped it boom in recent years and the word "emo", still considered by many as a four letter word, became the next big marketing tag.

so it's understandable that a lot of kids nowadays have a shallow understanding  of the genre, especially the mall variety.
need a photographer? check my work: http://xkeidax.deviantart.com http://flickr.com/photos/xkeidax
-to see with eyes unclouded by hate -

Offline siLimHan

« Reply #432 on: March 16, 2008, 01:26:05 PM »
mga emo music kasi...
pagdating sa guitarist....
ang galing nila gumawa ng music resolution....
kaya pag narinig niyo ung kanta ng typecast dati...
nung 3 palang sila...
may parang naglelead kahit wala silang lead...
may sumasabay pa na rhythm.... :mrgreen:
tumugtog nalang ng tumugtog.....

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #433 on: March 16, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »
they have seen the light :-D

no actually, justin graves told me he moved to another state and he was invited to play in a metalcore band called a life once lost.

the drummer for unearth and the red chord still played in another screamo band after hassan i sabbah at the same time he joined the former. once napunta siya sa red chord and started touring he eventually phased out of the band because their label wouldnt approve of such a band.

seen the light? sold out is more like it.

Offline bongraider

« Reply #434 on: March 18, 2008, 11:19:06 AM »
the drummer for unearth and the red chord still played in another screamo band after hassan i sabbah at the same time he joined the former. once napunta siya sa red chord and started touring he eventually phased out of the band because their label wouldnt approve of such a band.

seen the light? sold out is more like it.

si mike justian ba tinutukoy mo? that guy is one sick drummer. in the case of drummers, they rarely attach themselves to a particular scene/genre. drums/percussion is considered a genre-spanning discipline. you can do african polyrhythms in metal, etc. and most of drummers just like banging on drums, not so much into makeup and whining i guess. justian plays with just shorts and a tank top so would you call him a scenester? drumming for him is a passion. whether screamo or grindcore.

and paeng, for one i think you're missing the point the emo haters here are driving at. they aren't mad at the early screamo/emo what have you. they just dont like what emo has become. and you have to face that. emo is now all about the image, the scene and the affiliation. i have mucho respect for sunny day real estate, texas is the reason, promise ring, etc but emo nowadays has become a commodity. it's like a politically correct license to suck at life.

Offline keida

« Reply #435 on: March 18, 2008, 11:31:05 AM »
it's like a politically correct license to suck at life.

one of the best views ive ever read here  :lol:
this made my day!
need a photographer? check my work: http://xkeidax.deviantart.com http://flickr.com/photos/xkeidax
-to see with eyes unclouded by hate -

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #436 on: March 18, 2008, 11:34:07 AM »
"we're bringing you true metal. you won't have to hear anything from a whiny little b-i-t-c-h about a girl breaking his heart. fcuk the emo trend we're bringing you metal!" -- SHADOWS FALL

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #437 on: March 18, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »
Quote from: bongraider
and paeng, for one i think you're missing the point the emo haters here are driving at. they aren't mad at the early screamo/emo what have you. they just dont like what emo has become. and you have to face that. emo is now all about the image, the scene and the affiliation. i have mucho respect for sunny day real estate, texas is the reason, promise ring, etc but emo nowadays has become a commodity. it's like a politically correct license to suck at life.

+ :-)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 02:55:39 PM by joshnerez »
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline studiowan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #438 on: March 18, 2008, 05:16:59 PM »
si mike justian ba tinutukoy mo? that guy is one sick drummer. in the case of drummers, they rarely attach themselves to a particular scene/genre. drums/percussion is considered a genre-spanning discipline. you can do african polyrhythms in metal, etc. and most of drummers just like banging on drums, not so much into makeup and whining i guess. justian plays with just shorts and a tank top so would you call him a scenester? drumming for him is a passion. whether screamo or grindcore.

MISMO... nawala na kc yung integrity kc na-overated at nauso kahit ako mismo di ko din maintindihan kung bket naging ganun all of a sudden lahat n ng banda ganun ang tunog and pati itsura...ako yung mga kabanda ko matagal ko na kilala even nung 3piece pa lang cla ganun na itsura nila,kaya inakala ng mga kids ganun ang itsura ng emo...maraming mis conception wala naman sa itsura yan eh...music pa din ang importante kaso di na mapipigilan marami kase mas gusto pang pumorma kesa tumugtog...dati me sinagot na kmi interview about emo kc nga nata-tag kmi as emo which is wala namang problema samin eversince basta kami gusto lang naming tumogtog at gumawa ng kanta...pero sa totoo lang malayo pa kami dun sa totoong mga emong banda...hindi lang naman porke nabasted ka n or broken hearted emo na yun...emotional nga eh, pwedeng galit ka,masaya or malungkot...or pwede ding positive na kanta yung tipong makaka inpire ka ng tao...ngayon kc puro hinagpis aba! puro iyakan...he he sa totoo lang di applicable sting pinoy kung isasabuhay mo ang pagiging emo...kasi sanay tayo sa hirap eh at mas me tiyaga tayo, matiisin kung anung meron pinagtatyagan...unlike sa mga western countries na madali ang way of living kaya di cla sanay sa problema...eniwey ang point ko lang FU__k the TREND music comes first...sencia na O.T

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #439 on: March 18, 2008, 08:26:15 PM »
"we're bringing you true metal. you won't have to hear anything from a whiny little b-i-t-c-h about a girl breaking his heart. fcuk the emo trend we're bringing you metal!" -- SHADOWS FALL

hehehe! nice...

emo is kidstuff...
makunteto ka sa abot kaya mo, 20% sa gamit, 80% sa gumagamit
strange looking guitar collection  http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,80255.0.html

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #440 on: March 18, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »
yes, EMO is kidstuff. like NEW WAVE, HEAVY METAL, GRUNGE, HIPPIES, BEATNICKS, or PUNK during our younger days.. so, i don't find anything wrong with it.. like the things that i mentioned, it will pass but will be remembered.

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #441 on: March 18, 2008, 09:30:56 PM »
yes, EMO is kidstuff. like NEW WAVE, HEAVY METAL, GRUNGE, HIPPIES, BEATNICKS, or PUNK during our younger days.. so, i don't find anything wrong with it.. like the things that i mentioned, it will pass but will be remembered.

true!!!  thats really true.... :-D

try imagining the emo bands today when they get old... they still sing like that... hehehehe!

when they get old, they will still wear black eye lashes... hehehe! actualy i cant imagine it... hehehe

peace!!
strange looking guitar collection  http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,80255.0.html

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #442 on: March 19, 2008, 08:55:28 AM »

myspace and the internet helped it boom in recent years and the word "emo", still considered by many as a four letter word, became the next big marketing tag.

so it's understandable that a lot of kids nowadays have a shallow understanding  of the genre, especially the mall variety.

the internet helped the word get out. teens and kids got themselves associated na. they found people that were also "hurt" like them. people that they could find "security" and "belongingness" because with that label or word "emo"(which is actually a genry), they knew they were not alone.

before emo came out(when i mean came out i mean, got vandalized and got misinterpreted while being popularized) i was already deppressed and whiny but after a few years i grew out of it. most people will grow out of it eventually naman. we don't have to hate them or judge them in my opinion. they can't be whiny and they can't wear eyeliner way into their sixties. thats just plain F'ed up... :-D

lets just let them be. kahet nakakaasar ang mga poser na mga iba. if apihin naten sila lalakas lang ang puersa nila kasi they will have more reasons to be depressed and the cycle repeats itself.

dont worry after a while mawawala na rin ang trend and those that remain will be considered the real ones and the ones that are not posers.hahahah

as for the guitars, maganda naman ang mga progression at riff minsan. nakaka uta lang kung for one night puro ganun ang tugtugen...haaaaaaaay

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #443 on: March 19, 2008, 04:36:11 PM »
as for the guitars, maganda naman ang mga progression at riff minsan. nakaka uta lang kung for one night puro ganun ang tugtugen...haaaaaaaay

hehehe! may experience ako... like for one night... nakatugtug kami sa isang production na puro emo pala... kami lang ang metal... hehehe!! halos pareparehas yung tunog nila and puro bata... as in...

Offline Kipling241

« Reply #444 on: March 19, 2008, 09:19:20 PM »
up for you, sir! tiyak na mabebenta agad to! wow!  :-D
Fnord.

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #445 on: March 19, 2008, 11:35:39 PM »

Psssst!

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #446 on: March 19, 2008, 11:40:33 PM »

Thanks, bro. Bili na!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:06:40 AM by chromeknive »

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #447 on: March 20, 2008, 10:23:55 AM »
emo = whine whine whine. every song is about the same " wawa naman ako" crap.

at sino ba talaga ang authority para magsabi kung alin ang emo at alin ang hindi? yung artist ba? yung die hard fans? the minority? the majority? the aliens?

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #448 on: March 20, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »
EMO=immature people

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #449 on: March 20, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »