hulika

Author Topic: Guitarists' view on Emo music  (Read 71862 times)

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Guitarists' view on Emo music
« Reply #300 on: February 08, 2008, 09:47:17 PM »
keida: we are officially invisible.

Offline IncX

« Reply #301 on: February 08, 2008, 10:38:22 PM »
4 me emo sucks...puro ingay,puro sigaw puro strum..wlang guitar solo wlang keyboard solo bass and drum solo...in short wlang skills..lgi nlng drop c..un lng skill nla...peace out!!!hehehe :-D

*lol*

we have now a new criteria in defining a good song:

keyboard solos, guitar solos, bass solos, drum solos.

are you sure you are not on those emo kids? because i have a feeling you only hate it because its uso and you seem to be the type who would hate anything thats uso.

check out the link:

http://www.yourscenesucks.com/

and check out "brootal kid"

fits you perfectly :) xep that you go for instrumental wanking.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:44:04 PM by IncX »

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #302 on: February 08, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »
4 me emo sucks...puro ingay,puro sigaw puro strum..wlang guitar solo wlang keyboard solo bass and drum solo...in short wlang skills..lgi nlng drop c..un lng skill nla...peace out!!!hehehe :-D

a skill is a skill. and you sir, lack the skill to TROLL properly. you fail.

Offline keida

« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
keida: we are officially invisible.

ahahaha, damn right.

fail

we're playing with singapore's magnicide tomorrow night!
yung mga yun puro sigaw, walang guitar solo, walang keyboard solo, bas and drum solo, though naka drop D.
grindcore eh.  :-D

need a photographer? check my work: http://xkeidax.deviantart.com http://flickr.com/photos/xkeidax
-to see with eyes unclouded by hate -

Offline tanj

• Netizen Level
« Reply #304 on: February 08, 2008, 11:20:21 PM »
For me i believe emo is not a genre,it still falls in between alt-rock-punk music.about sa porma naman( skinny jeans,hair do etc),parehas lang naman cla nun porma nung punks era pinasikat ng the ramones,sex pistols etc...anyways it's still music so there should be no discrimation there. :-D

Offline pr3ach2all

• Veteran Member
« Reply #305 on: February 09, 2008, 10:31:26 AM »

diba old punk bands didnt have solos either? diba puro strum rin lang sila? but you cannot argue that they have no skill. therefore, you cannot argue that emo(whether the ones today or the one before) have no skill.

and besides, skill isnt just measured on soloing. it's like saying reggae bands are not skilled since you rarely hear them have a guitar solo.  :|

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2008, 11:32:34 AM »
Nominees for thread of the year 2008!
1. Guitarists' view on Emo music thread
2. Perfect Pitch SM Megamall Thread

hehehe!

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »
For me i believe emo is not a genre,it still falls in between alt-rock-punk music.about sa porma naman( skinny jeans,hair do etc),parehas lang naman cla nun porma nung punks era pinasikat ng the ramones,sex pistols etc...anyways it's still music so there should be no discrimation there. :-D

emo is from hardcore punk. the emo youre talking about is MALL emo.

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2008, 09:40:59 PM »
emo is from hardcore punk. the emo youre talking about is MALL emo.
Emo came from (it's the "buzzword" if you will) the term "Emotional Hardcore". It was pioneered by bands such as Rites of Spring which started using acoustic guitars, more "sung" vocals and more melodic passages in their songs. Iba talaga ang emo dati sa emo ngayon.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #309 on: February 10, 2008, 12:17:31 AM »
and they both suck right? or emo before didn't suck so bad, and emo now suck so bad?

rock before (elvis) was good... rock now is still good.
metal before (sabbath) was good...metal now is still good.

"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline killjom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #310 on: February 10, 2008, 09:28:20 PM »
napansin ko lang ha.. sa mga mainstream emo.. may weight requirement..  :-D  :-D hahahahaha!!  :-D  :-D
Fear neither fire nor blood.

Offline jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2008, 10:49:51 PM »
fave emo bands ko: the promise ring and rites of spring

rites of spring: mellow HC sound.. great, great! later joined with ian mckaye to form the superband fugazi.. fave song ko yung deeper than inside..

the promise ring: super poppy, reminds me of the pixies.. fave songs ko yung best looking boys, electric pink at the deep south.. we usually cover tpr songs too kasi ok tugtugin.. :-)

kaeda and pangkee, you are not invisible hehe.. :-D
geeesh

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #312 on: February 11, 2008, 09:38:21 AM »
EMO! haha
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »

:lol:

Offline vinz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2008, 10:14:48 AM »
^^^No offense...this kids have no idea on what they are doing  :-D

and yes EMO ang GREEN DAY!!! hahahahaha :-D

Offline keida

« Reply #315 on: February 11, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »
jeeezuskrayst.  :-o
need a photographer? check my work: http://xkeidax.deviantart.com http://flickr.com/photos/xkeidax
-to see with eyes unclouded by hate -

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #316 on: February 11, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »
and they both suck right? or emo before didn't suck so bad, and emo now suck so bad?

rock before (elvis) was good... rock now is still good.
metal before (sabbath) was good...metal now is still good.

well during the 80s, emo was more manly than most metal bands (*cough cinderella cough*) thats for sure. its not the question of whether a band sucks or not. there are pretty technical post hardcore outfits today. and back then emo had amazing dynamic songwriting. just because a band doesnt do 4 finger tapping, legato, super fast picking, whammy bar tricks or what not doesnt mean they suck. technical ability is not the lone standard of a good band. unfortunately, some think that way and songwriting and composition gets pushed in the background.

INCX mentioned once that metal bands in the 90s (nu metal) became really aggressive but  their riffs are so simple, most songs became peoples' first guitar songs (eg my first summer by the deftones). now, metal bands rely more on chops and "going back to the roots" BUT they lost a lot of aggression which was prominent before. they became "pussified" versions of either slayer, metallica or other 80s heavy metal bands.

arent you the least bit annoyed at how... pansy trivium sound? i mean, ive been weaned on metal acts like slayer and their contemporaries and listening to them back and forth... well. trivium suck. (just an example)

the same would go for emo. i think it would be right to say that emo was waay more emotional in the early 90s. and the bands really got what it was all about. there were SMARTER bands back then.

maybe you just think that emo sucks because you dont listen to/appreciate it. as they say, everyone has different tastes in music. some tastes just suck i guess.

blue cheese to a frenchman may taste amazing but to a pinoy, he may pass it as some rotten dairy by-product.

i have to apolgize if i appear to adamant to defend whats left of what emo was. its a good thing we opted to call it something else as the word "emo" has been, shall we say in metal-speak, skinned, gutted, butt-feckt and burned.

Offline hardcore misery

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »
BOSS MetalZone II / GTX-BOSTON HeavyMetal 100 OVERKILL MOD
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,71925.0.html

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #318 on: February 11, 2008, 12:38:19 PM »
EMO=???????????????????? wala lang emo lang  :evil: emo=jollibee :-D
AMMK!!!

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #319 on: February 11, 2008, 12:39:37 PM »
^^^ dont you have anything better to say?

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #320 on: February 11, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »
well during the 80s, emo was more manly than most metal bands (*cough cinderella cough*) thats for sure.

and perhaps twisted sister because of the girly name? i'd pick cinderalla any time over any emo band.

its not the question of whether a band sucks or not. there are pretty technical post hardcore outfits today. and back then emo had amazing dynamic songwriting. just because a band doesnt do 4 finger tapping, legato, super fast picking, whammy bar tricks or what not doesnt mean they suck. technical ability is not the lone standard of a good band. unfortunately, some think that way and songwriting and composition gets pushed in the background.

thing is, they both suck in those categories. you know why? because they have become irrelevant. good music stay relevant, e.g. ozzy's crazy train, megadeth's holy wars.

INCX mentioned once that metal bands in the 90s (nu metal) became really aggressive but  their riffs are so simple, most songs became peoples' first guitar songs (eg my first summer by the deftones).

deftones is not metal.

but they're probably one of the new non-metal dudes i listen to... fave song: 7 words.

now, metal bands rely more on chops and "going back to the roots" BUT they lost a lot of aggression which was prominent before. they became "pussified" versions of either slayer, metallica or other 80s heavy metal bands. arent you the least bit annoyed at how... pansy trivium sound? i mean, ive been weaned on metal acts like slayer and their contemporaries and listening to them back and forth... well. trivium suck. (just an example)

so lamb of god and children of bodom are pussies?

the same would go for emo. i think it would be right to say that emo was waay more emotional in the early 90s. and the bands really got what it was all about. there were SMARTER bands back then.

back then = past

maybe you just think that emo sucks because you dont listen to/appreciate it. as they say, everyone has different tastes in music. some tastes just suck i guess.

emo sucks, be it "back then" or now.

blue cheese to a frenchman may taste amazing but to a pinoy, he may pass it as some rotten dairy by-product.

it's probably partly because we don't eat it here too often. emo music has been flooding the airwaves, people still don't get used to it...can't stand it still. it's not even like people got tired of it, they sucked right from the beginning.

i have to apolgize if i appear to adamant to defend whats left of what emo was. its a good thing we opted to call it something else as the word "emo" has been, shall we say in metal-speak, skinned, gutted, butt-feckt and burned.

emo was = past.

try defending emo now, not the past.

and try explaining why people can't discuss emo now, and not discuss their fashion. because that is very indicative how sucky ass the "music" is.

"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline IncX

« Reply #321 on: February 11, 2008, 08:21:59 PM »
i just had to butt in

crazy train and holy wars relevant today? *lol*

ok, for the sake of argument, they are not bad songs (a bit cheesy with the lyrics), but i certainly wouldn't write anything like that in this day and age... and they are what i call "beginner metal" songs... the kind of metal that would impress you when you are still new to the genre. again, im not saying they are bad songs... its just, mr. crowley (although honestly, i like ozzy a lot better with sabbath) and hangar 18 are better examples coming from those bands.

and yes, children of bodom and lamb of god just dont hold a candle to a band like slayer. i dont care how much kerry king's solos are off key and stuff, but these "chops heavy, so-called-metal" bands nowadays just dont do the E scale right.

you listen to them and still call yourself metal? Ok, so maybe you are because those bands still have more 'metal' in them than anything else... but just because one thing is metal, doesnt mean its good. any genre of music whether underground, unsigned or mainstream are bound to have crap representatives to their name.

listen to monstrosity, suffocation, terrorizer, cannibal corpse (i only like one album, the Bleeding), deicide, krisiun, necrophagist - cmon, you know these bands too man!

... and then listen to lamb of god and children of bodom (so ok, children of bodom have the chops... but they are like pop cradle of filth to me - as if COF wasnt pop enough already ... and the only good thing with lamb of god is that i saw their bassist using Warwick).

im a big fan of metal myself, but lets not close in other forms of music... so metal has the riffs... but emo whether past or present definitely have the lyrics.

for the record i hated kupaw metal more than pop emo. the latter just smeared the name of metal... mall emo, i couldnt care less...

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 08:26:46 PM by IncX »

Offline korniks

« Reply #322 on: February 11, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »
ok sana emo kaso daming nag eemo-emohan e. feel na feel, one side buhok tapos wala naman palang alam. nangyari na dati yun d2 sa pinas, nung 97 umusbong ulet mga punks, pero dami na naman mga boploks na di naman naiintindihan ang prinsipyo ng punks, ang nagcla-claim na punks sila. bumaho tuloy. gaya ngaun bumaho na emo dahil sa mga emongers orcers...

sensya na , eto po ay pananaw ko lang...

peace! mabuhay kaung mga totoong musikero.

Offline posera!!

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #323 on: February 11, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »
ok sana emo kaso daming nag eemo-emohan e. feel na feel, one side buhok tapos wala naman palang alam. nangyari na dati yun d2 sa pinas, nung 97 umusbong ulet mga punks, pero dami na naman mga boploks na di naman naiintindihan ang prinsipyo ng punks, ang nagcla-claim na punks sila. bumaho tuloy. gaya ngaun bumaho na emo dahil sa mga emongers orcers...

sensya na , eto po ay pananaw ko lang...

peace! mabuhay kaung mga totoong musikero.

nag laganap na ang mga POSERO/POSERA hehe :-D
Oh abandoned hearts with a battle cry we move to You we surrender
oh lead us forth oh Lord for now is the time to show out Your love we're moving forward we'll wait no more
because Your spirit is strong Your spirit is strong

Offline IncX

« Reply #324 on: February 11, 2008, 09:24:22 PM »

tip:

there is more to metal than the pages of guitar world. as a matter of fact, guitar world doesn't have any idea of what metal is nowadays.

-*-

after saying that... i guess there is more to emo than what you see on MTV. i dont know since im not an expert with punk, hardcore and emo ...

just stop watching TV and try to discover things for yourself.

-*-

end of sermon