hulika

Author Topic: Blues Brothers (Belushi and Aykroyd)  (Read 2198 times)

Offline supacow

• Veteran Member
Blues Brothers (Belushi and Aykroyd)
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:46:13 AM »
Hi peeps. Does anybody know this group?

I just watched the original Blues Brothers movie and i found it really really great.

Good blues tunes and music and performances.

post namna kayo ng insights nyo sa Blues Brothers!!

I just want to know more about them :)

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Blues Brothers (Belushi and Aykroyd)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
there were 2 movies made about the blues brothers. si Dan Aykroyd at si John Belushi were part of the original saturday night live cast back in the 70's. This movie was based on some of the skits they did at saturday night live. in the same way as Wayne's World also started sa Saturday Night Live.  they can sing alright pero don't forget other artists contributed via appearing in the movie and also in the soundtrack album. I liked both movies kasi matindi talaga yung mga featured songs and also very funny yun partnership ni Belushi at Aykroyd. good stuff.

also yung backup band ng blues brothers ay mga matitindi rin na session players although meron din ugaling musikero ba...

my favorite part in the first movie is where they go to this fine dining resto and antagonize the people there.

Belushi died a couple of years later, and John Goodman stepped in for the second movie.

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 01:51:45 PM »
Yep, this was a great band -- one of the original blues/r&b showbands conceptualized in the 70's as part of the SNL features.

The first version of this band had really crack players in it -- almost a who's who of the Stax/Volt studio cats from the late 50's-60's -- among them:

• Steve Cropper - seminal rhythm gutarist from Booker T. & the MG's, Telecaster monster
• Donald "Duck" Dunn - seminal bass player from Booker T. & the MG's, P. Bass monster
• Steve Jordan - Drums, currently Clapton's drummer on his "bluesey" world tour
• Matt "Guitar" Murphy - tasty blues guitar player
• A bunch of guys from the Memphis Horns

They put an outstanding "tribute" album out as a first release called "Briefcase Full Of Blues". The big top 40 hit off that album was a re-do of "Soul Man". Pick it up if you can. Much better than the movies and all the other succeeding material combined. We cover a bunch of those tunes in the band I play in.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 02:07:43 PM »
"crack players"  ha ha ha > think jay leno. 

I love Steve Cropper's playing. (Knock on wood - grabe)one of a kind. kahit hinde pa siya mag lead. busog but unobtrusive. they don't play like this anymore. same for Matt Murphy.

well the movies were a bit short on substance, but the music featured in it is.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 04:20:03 PM »
I liked the part where they're playing "Rawhide(?)" and the audience were throwing bottles at them. I was so "amused" by their antics and cult status I even bought a Blue Brothers T-shirt from Chicago! I also watched a mini-show by look-alikes in Universal Studios void(0);
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 04:22:25 PM »
I liked the part where they're playing "Rawhide(?)" and the audience were throwing bottles at them. I was so "amused" by their antics and cult status I even bought a Blue Brothers T-shirt from Chicago! I also watched a mini-show by look-alikes in Universal Studios  8-)
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »

I love Steve Cropper's playing. (Knock on wood - grabe)one of a kind. kahit hinde pa siya mag lead. busog but unobtrusive. they don't play like this anymore. same for Matt Murphy.

You got it. Something so fundamentally sound and complete about Cropper's approach to guitar playing -- his rhythmic sense, voicings, riffs, and "sundot-sundot" really hold a song together and drives the band. A complete rarity these days. The only other guys I can think of who do this are themselves relative "old fogeys" -- Keith Richards, Amos Garrett, and Robbie Robertson (of The Band). They play to the song and make whoever they're playing with sound better, regardless of instrument. Masters of ensemble playing.

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 07:36:46 PM »
BB is it Steve doin the solo for song Green Onions? I just love the solo on that song. 

The Blues is the Roots, everything else is the Fruits.-Willie Dixon

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 07:48:45 PM »
Yup -- he on guitar and Booker T. on the keys. So very tasty.

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 07:55:56 PM »
The two movies also featured Blues cats like, John Lee Hooker, Ray Charles, BB King etc.

The Blues is the Roots, everything else is the Fruits.-Willie Dixon

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 11:09:13 PM »
You got it. Something so fundamentally sound and complete about Cropper's approach to guitar playing -- his rhythmic sense, voicings, riffs, and "sundot-sundot" really hold a song together and drives the band. A complete rarity these days. The only other guys I can think of who do this are themselves relative "old fogeys" -- Keith Richards, Amos Garrett, and Robbie Robertson (of The Band). They play to the song and make whoever they're playing with sound better, regardless of instrument. Masters of ensemble playing.

... well, you forgot another 'old fogey' ensemble player you could add to that list... YOU!

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 01:58:39 AM »
Was Amos Garrett the guy who did that very tasty solo on Maria Muldaur's 'Midnight at the Oasis?' ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 02:26:16 AM »
Was Amos Garrett the guy who did that very tasty solo on Maria Muldaur's 'Midnight at the Oasis?' ..

Yep that was him alright...

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 05:49:34 PM »
Do you think the Louisiana Gator Boys will ever get back together again?  :lol:
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera