hulika

Author Topic: Help regarding modes..  (Read 1513 times)

Offline zmazz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Help regarding modes..
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:27:45 AM »
this is really getting me confused.. lets say i got a progression in key of C that goes like Em-C-Am-F and i want to use the modes in Key of C. can i use the E phrygian mode in from Em-C, then Ionian mode from C-Am then lastly aelion mode from Am-F? I really need some enlightenment regarding this stuff.. HELP!

Offline toybitz

Re: Help regarding modes..
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 02:32:52 AM »
have you tried?
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline zmazz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 04:11:55 AM »
Nope not really, cuz thats just a sample progression. all i wanted to know is if thats the right way of incorporating modes in a given progression..

Offline toybitz

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 07:12:24 AM »
^ well, there's no really right way.  if you wanna conjure up the modes its ok.  if not, its still ok.

you're still using the same notes within the key of C anyways, only you're starting with a different root evertime you're referring to the modes.

I like your idea.  Very melodic.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline Erdy

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 04:38:50 PM »
Nope not really, cuz thats just a sample progression. all i wanted to know is if thats the right way of incorporating modes in a given progression..

Modes are actually the inversion of notes of the major scale.

Try this C Major Scale:

Notes:      C          D          E          F         G        A          B
Degree:    I           II         III        IV        V        VI        VII
Chords:    C          Dm       Em        F         G       Am        Bdim

Begin with the first degree chord (C), then start playing the notes of the C Major scale starting on the 1st degree (C) one octave up then down, then shift to the 2nd degree chord (Dm), then play the notes of the C Major Scale beginning on the second degree (D) up one octave then down, then shift again on the 3rd degree chord (Em) beginning on the 3rd degree note (E) play one octave up and down. Do the same process on the rest of the chords. You can hear how modes of the major scale works on a particular chord.

So if your progression starts with the Em chord, you can start your solo in the 3rd degree note (E) of the C major scale.

:-) Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:21:55 PM by Erdy »

Offline zmazz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 09:12:43 AM »

Try this C Major Scale:

Notes:      C          D          E          F         G        A          B
Degree:    I           II         III        IV        V        VI        VII
Chords:    C          Dm       Em        F         G       Am        Bm7

Begin with the first degree chord (C), then start playing the notes of the C Major scale starting on the 1st degree (C) one octave up then down, then shift to the 2nd degree chord (Dm), then play the notes of the C Major Scale beginning on the second degree (D) up one octave then down, then shift again on the 3rd degree chord (Em) beginning on the 3rd degree note (E) play one octave up and down. Do the same process on the rest of the chords. You can hear how modes of the major scale works on a particular chord.

So if your progression starts with the Em chord, you can start your solo in the 3rd degree note (E) of the C major scale.

is that the same as playing the E phrygian mode under Em chord?

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 10:31:39 AM »

Try this C Major Scale:

Degree:    I           ii           iii        IV         V        vi         vii°
Chords:    C          Dm       Em        F         G       Am        Bdiminished

DIMINISHED dapat yung vii, hindi minor7th

Offline Erdy

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 07:20:11 PM »

Try this C Major Scale:

Degree:    I           ii           iii        IV         V        vi         vii°
Chords:    C          Dm       Em        F         G       Am        Bdiminished

:-)

DIMINISHED dapat yung vii, hindi minor7th

Thanks Perf for the correction.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:23:01 PM by Erdy »

Offline Erdy

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 07:23:56 PM »

Try this C Major Scale:

Notes:      C          D          E          F         G        A          B
Degree:    I           II         III        IV        V        VI        VII
Chords:    C          Dm       Em        F         G       Am        Bm7

is that the same as playing the E phrygian mode under Em chord?

Yes!