hulika

Author Topic: The semi hollow/hollowbody/jazzbox thread  (Read 254287 times)

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The semi hollow/hollowbody/jazzbox thread
« Reply #700 on: October 23, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »
i think theres a fine line between warm and muddy/blurry. muddy is when you rolled off your tone knob. maybe try the guitar on a different amp, better yet ab it with another semi hollow

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #701 on: October 24, 2012, 02:22:42 AM »
Here's a demo of an Epiphone ES-335.  This one I think is on the bright side, and so were a couple of 335's I've tested.  Sheraton ii is on a more mellow/refined side.  Depends din siguro sa picking used.  I used fingers in this video  :idea:

Apologies for the sabit and overbends, hehe.

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #702 on: October 24, 2012, 02:28:56 AM »
i think theres a fine line between warm and muddy/blurry. muddy is when you rolled off your tone knob. maybe try the guitar on a different amp, better yet ab it with another semi hollow

erwin, i know what you mean. but judging how he used the term 'blurred' which is a term attributed to vision than of hearing, i felt he meant the common complain of those without much experience with hollowbodies - that they sound 'ngongo', perhaps because they are used to the common strat or a les paul sound, which compared to how hollowbodies generally sound like, can be considered 'bright'.

ive heard this several times with some fellas complaining they couldnt get the sound they want out of an artcore or a epiphone hollowbody. and almost always, there wasnt anything wrong with it. they just didnt know it should that way.

ps. your hollowbody is laminated or carved top? yummy!

Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #703 on: October 24, 2012, 10:37:51 AM »
if you came from single coils, yeah dont expect the bells and chimes here hehe. little pickup roll can help you adjust better. dimarzio bluesbucker, unbuckers, mismatched coils or dummy coil, p90s.

its carved top bro. and a weight weenie too. held it yesterday and im psyched. its ready for finishing
as much as i wanted a laminated top, i didnt want to deal with my vacuum press anymore. and i think the biggest problem is bending the sides which should be reserved for luthiers whose forte are acoustics.

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #704 on: October 24, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
if you came from single coils, yeah dont expect the bells and chimes here hehe. little pickup roll can help you adjust better. dimarzio bluesbucker, unbuckers, mismatched coils or dummy coil, p90s.

its carved top bro. and a weight weenie too. held it yesterday and im psyched. its ready for finishing
as much as i wanted a laminated top, i didnt want to deal with my vacuum press anymore. and i think the biggest problem is bending the sides which should be reserved for luthiers whose forte are acoustics.

cant complain with the carved top! ala benedetto! :D
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline zhej

« Reply #705 on: October 26, 2012, 02:58:42 AM »
sir can you help me with this?

I have an af75 artcore. Im really satisfied with how does it sound,my main problem is i can't reach that 16'th fret and play it very nice,so im thinking about a double cutaway like an ES 335 copy,then theres someone offering me this epiphone dot studio and im still thinking of it.

Can anyone share their thoughts bout this? Maybe its better if you have tried this both guitars.
Im like a 'blues' guy,but frustrated to study jazz.
Tnx.
Let Go and Let GOD.

Offline giftmones

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #706 on: October 27, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »
Thanks mga sir.
Nagstart ako sa strat lol hindi ko makuha yung. swabeng tunog na pagstrum mo malinaw tone
I thought may problema es335 royale ko haha. Ganun pala talaga

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #707 on: October 27, 2012, 08:49:18 PM »
sir can you help me with this?

I have an af75 artcore. Im really satisfied with how does it sound,my main problem is i can't reach that 16'th fret and play it very nice,so im thinking about a double cutaway like an ES 335 copy,then theres someone offering me this epiphone dot studio and im still thinking of it.

Can anyone share their thoughts bout this? Maybe its better if you have tried this both guitars.
Im like a 'blues' guy,but frustrated to study jazz.
Tnx.

i did have an AF75 (tor) before and if you cant play the 16th fret and you badly want and need to, then its the wrong guitar for you. a blues player you are? it would be beneficial to note that Clapton does use a 335 from time to time and it seems to work for him. so there. i think its time to get that guitar that works for you.

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #708 on: October 29, 2012, 12:08:13 AM »
i did have an AF75 (tor) before and if you cant play the 16th fret and you badly want and need to, then its the wrong guitar for you. a blues player you are? it would be beneficial to note that Clapton does use a 335 from time to time and it seems to work for him. so there. i think its time to get that guitar that works for you.

i agree..

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #709 on: October 29, 2012, 05:13:15 AM »
I like using hollowbodies with lesser distortion. If possible almost none. The clean muddied tone is the mojo!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline strat62

« Reply #710 on: October 31, 2012, 07:34:27 AM »
1968 Gibson ES175

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 07:36:31 AM by strat62 »

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #711 on: October 31, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
^ :razz: :razz: :razz:
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline jeo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #712 on: November 01, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
1968 Gibson ES175

WOW  :drool: pati yung strings bumagay  :-D
>Use your ears, dont worry about the hype!>"Not everything that counts can be measured and not everything you can measure counts">TECHNIQUE is in the FINGERS & TONE is more in the GEAR>HIYAW, if you didnt get it, its your problem not mine>killed ur killer

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #713 on: November 01, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »
Finally!
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” - J.S. Bach

Music Furniture

Offline johnbrown

« Reply #714 on: November 01, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »

Offline scofield

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #715 on: November 01, 2012, 02:44:45 PM »

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
« Reply #716 on: November 02, 2012, 04:21:30 AM »
EASILY THE BEST MOUTH-WATERING POSTS IN PHILMUSIC. Strat62, do you gig with this? Would luv to hear her bop and swing.

1968 Gibson ES175

Offline semihollowcarlo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #717 on: November 23, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »
Yo Sirs! Pasali ako. It's been a month since I got this guitar and I'm lovin' every bit of it considering I've been a Strat person. My Ibanez AF75.  :-D

Offline lifestory08

• Netizen Level
« Reply #718 on: January 08, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
hi mga Sir :)

tagal ko na guSto mgpoSt ng guitar ko kaSo diko alam pano
my guitar iS a greg bennett la Salle jz3

modified ko n yung wiringS at pickup
neck pup-volume pot-preamp-volume pot-output jack
i'm trying to get a Single coil tone from a humbucker
check nyo na lang hindi po ako jazzero

hehehe

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151327879558704
jerson

Offline yearling

« Reply #719 on: January 08, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »
join lng po mga sir...hehe... :wave:
For my reference: jaded214,bryanskee, bh, peterpunks, ryanditmital, cokeandjahsmoke, lindtaylor, BrianLP, Moncseb, yeyeh, gunslinger13, wannabeguitarist, MarkV, Kurtseth, turiguiliano, Johnny_jackhammer, Ramnem, Upfront, edgarthewalrus, Lost_Keith

Offline addict

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #720 on: January 08, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »
Here's mine brothers..

:-D

Offline appleseed

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #721 on: January 08, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »
WOW  :drool: pati yung strings bumagay  :-D
wahaha

Offline lordpogi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #722 on: January 09, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »
anyone using addario 11's on their 335's? any feedback? im just worried the tension might be too much for the neck..
ibanez 2010 s570 white / aria ta50 wine red
keeley katana
marshall mg30fx gfx 1

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #723 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:29 PM »
Ive used 12 to 14 flatwounds on a 335 type guitar. It can handle it. Just set it up properly. I miss the tone of those 14s. Its just too one trick pony though

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #724 on: January 09, 2013, 09:31:55 PM »