hulika

Author Topic: Guitar vs. Amp budget ratio  (Read 5599 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Guitar vs. Amp budget ratio
« on: March 20, 2007, 07:52:19 AM »
In another forum I saw someone say, "Buy a decent guitar and spend the rest of your money on the best amp you can find." 

Para may purchase parity (at walang bukingang ng budget), let's translate that into ratio or percentages.  Ilang percent for guitar, ilang percent for amp? For now, assume you're only buying 1 guitar and 1 amp only, no effects.  Ako siguro...

30% - guitar
70% - amp

I might be wrong but I think this would illuminate what people theorize to be the major contributor to tone. Unless, they're buying guitars more for its looks and collectibility (or pang-yabang).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:21:42 AM by deltaslim »

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Guitar vs. Amp budget ratio
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:12:49 AM »
20% amp
80% guitar... cguro yan ang over all ratio na na spent ko sa buong buhay ko.

although i really do rely sa amp for my over all tone. pero VERY satisfied pa naman ako sa blues deville, (although not mine, halos ako lang ang gumagamit) for the meantime... so no reason to buy another amp... unless kung talgang kinakati ako.
what i currently own are just cheapo practice amps isa sa bahay isa sa praktisan at isang nakatago lang.

yung mga guitars na na own ko from the past upto now, iba iba sila, iba ang feel, ang connection iba rin ang na p play ko in a particular guitar, not just because of its tone but because of its over all feel and appearance...

mas mahalaga sa kin yung amp pero mas napupunta ang pera ko sa guitar dahil satisfied ako sa ginagamit ko at no need to buy another one sa panahong ito. not unless magbago talga upside down ang tone preference ko.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:19:29 AM by rainierito »

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 08:42:15 AM »
9% guitar
90% amps
1% effects

Amps are cool, but chicks don't dig them.  I find that for the average Pinoy, amps are unsung heroes in the signal chain.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:48:42 AM »
50% guitars
25% amps
25% stomp boxes.

2 good guitars, 1 gigging amp, a lot of stompboxes.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:52:27 AM »
pero i'd spend that 25% i spent for stompboxes on a 3 channel amp with solo boost if i could find someone to help me carry it to 4 song/1 set gigs too.

maybe i should stop playing those gigs. :lol:

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 09:05:17 AM »
Hmmm let me see, this will happen rarely for me but in case I'm in this situation I'd probably end up with the following:

50% for the guitar (a telecaster hopefully)
33% for the amp (an old yamaha or roland solidstate)
and I still have 17% of my fund left which will end as a couple of stombox or just 1 and a tuner.

I will only be able to bring my guitar and and accessories during gigs, no amps. I guess thats the pragmatist in me going about the possible expenditure. I'd always be spending more on the guitar than the amp since realistically, I can't lug an amp around with me so might as well shoot for the best guitar I can afford  :-)
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 09:09:28 AM »
I think my fun is in upsetting those ratios and trying to get get more bang for the buck...

Nevertheless, sticking to the parameters of deltaslim's question (1 guitar, 1 amp, no pedals), and considering my favorite guitar and amp, approximately 50%-50%.

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:12:29 AM »
I think my fun is in upsetting those ratios and trying to get get more bang for the buck...

Nevertheless, sticking to the parameters of deltaslim's question (1 guitar, 1 amp, no pedals), and considering my favorite guitar and amp, approximately 50%-50%.

+1
let's stick to the topic guitar amp ratio lang po

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 09:19:55 AM »

+1
let's stick to the topic guitar amp ratio lang po

Right on. Nevertheless, I'd still spend the way I described without the pedals. And I still wouldn't bring an amp to a gig  :-D
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 09:36:27 AM »
80% basses (and some guitars)
20% amps
Surf's Up!

Offline soulfeather

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 10:25:03 AM »
30% on Guitar
70% on Amps

Stock Pickups and a Good Guitar Amp and setting..... nice clean bluesy tone... :-D

Offline oloc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »
hirap sumakay sa thread ni sir deltaslim, all my guitars /amps/ effects are acquired free of charge so far. or i made them myself.

pero syempre may GAS parin kahit maraming libre, so:

50% guitar (fender MIA sana. wala pa ko strat eh)
50% amp   (fender amp din )

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 10:33:47 AM »
Now that I've discovered that amps DO sound different (and that tube amps exhibit this character even more so than SS amps) the ratio for me would be

60% amps
15% guitar (as I'm satisfied with what I have)
25% pedals
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 10:42:13 AM »
ideally sana

60 guitar
30 amp
10 effects

for practical and realistic reasons

70 guitars
10 amps (more often than not people dont bring amps to gigs thats why most people dont spend much on amp the let the venues and touring companies take care of it)
20 effects

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 10:48:03 AM »
i just want a Fender Standard Stratocaster & a Laney VC30 212. ano ba ratio nun? 40 guitar & 60 amp?
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 10:52:56 AM »
95% amps
5% guitars

...but nowadays I am trying to upgrade my guitars .....since I am happy with my amps.

...but after I compete my guitar collection ......I will also upgrade my amps.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 12:07:57 PM »
basing on my current rig, i'd say around 45% on guitars, 30% on effects and 25% on amps. that will change though (i'm planning to buy a new gigging tube amp this year) :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline bendedbeam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 03:45:06 PM »
50% - guitar
50% - amp

I think both equally contributes to tone...
---------------------------------
It's not the guitar's fault...

Offline IncX

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 03:58:53 PM »

ive said this in the bass place, and i think it would also apply here:

a bass (or guitar) affects your playing more than it affects your sound ... the sound is really dependent on the amp (and effects of course, but thats already being specific).

so if you find a so and so guitar that makes you play the way you want to, then lucky you, you just have the chance to splurge on your sound - the amp, i mean.

IMO, sound is:

guitar - 30% (unlike basses, guitars are usually just a choice between single coil and humbuckers)
amp - 70%

and playability is:

guitar - 95%
amp - 5% (you cant play well, if your amp makes buzzing noises, right?)

as for tone... hehehe, joke lang... baka mapunta na naman to sa fingers vs. budget.

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 04:03:55 PM »
Effects - 60% hahahaha kasi kontento nako sa mga guitar ko
AMP- 30%
guitar - 10%
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 04:55:20 PM »
...but after I compete my guitar collection ......I will also upgrade my amps.

I'm telling you, it's a friggin nuclear arms race!

Chito

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 04:58:55 PM »
50% amp
25% guitar
25% effects

Offline Dzec

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 06:11:48 PM »
40% guitar
35% efx
25% amp

peace :-D

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »
50% amp, 50% guitar

exactly the reason why I'm spending $$$ on a speaker that will cost as much as my much-maligned amp :lol:  although tutol si veggie hehe...

also, with the perfect amp, you won't need dirt pedals... except for those modulation pedals of course and the fuzz variety :-D

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »
i spend more on guitars than amps.. except if it's a Vox. i'm willing to pay uberbucks for beautiful sounding Vox amps.

I've spent more on Vox amps than some guitars i've owned.

but the ratio of the cost is mostly 50/50.

i.e if i paid $1000 for the guitar (PRS), chances are i paid $1000 for the amp (Vox AC30) too.