hulika

Author Topic: describe jazz in ur own word/s...  (Read 17236 times)

Offline jazhombie

describe jazz in ur own word/s...
« on: April 12, 2007, 08:31:04 PM »
i just want to hear from fellow philmusicians and gurus.. jazz? what is jazz music?in ur own words?

mine is:

- freedom of speech
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:32:19 PM by jazhombie »

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: describe jazz in ur own word/s...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 08:46:33 PM »
i just want to hear from fellow philmusicians and gurus.. jazz? what is jazz music?in ur own words?

mine is:

- freedom of speech

:lol: Hahaha! I thought about the word freedom before I opened this thread!

- Intellectual Freedom.

Hindi kasi pang masa ang jazz, at talagang bibilang ng panahon ang isang musikero bago maturingan na tunay na Jazzer :|
So Be It.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 08:57:55 PM »
Louis Armstrong's famous reply on the definition of Jazz, "If you've got to ask, you'll never know." He at least implying that jazz is knowable, though not necessarily explainable in words.  :-D

But for me,  Jazz is the highest form of music.  :-)
It's not what you play, It's not how you play, It's who you are. - Aya Yuson

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 11:20:29 PM »

i always found a quote from Homer Simpson funny...

"jazz musicians! ... phew... they make it up as they go along! i can do that too (hums a tune of mary had a little lamb)"

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 01:26:50 AM »
Back in the late 80s when CDs were still quite rare, there was this CD rental place in Teacher's Village near Claret that I used to patronize, since they had a pretty good jazz collection.

So, one lazy afternoon, I was there, trying out some previously-unheard CDs, among them, an old Miles quintet album (with Coltrane and Adderley).

So, there I was soaking up those solos blasting through the speakers when a teenage girl - rummaging through the pop litter nearby - casually remarked, "Ay! Pang-matanda ... "  :-D

Had I been a tad more ill-tempered, I swear she'd turn 'Blue in Green' ...  :-D

So there, a kid's words - not mine ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:43:56 AM »
Back in the late 80s when CDs were still quite rare, there was this CD rental place in Teacher's Village near Claret that I used to patronize, since they had a pretty good jazz collection.

So, one lazy afternoon, I was there, trying out some previously-unheard CDs, among them, an old Miles quintet album (with Coltrane and Adderley).

So, there I was soaking up those solos blasting through the speakers when a teenage girl - rummaging through the pop litter nearby - casually remarked, "Ay! Pang-matanda ... "  :-D

Had I been a tad more ill-tempered, I swear she'd turn 'Blue in Green' ...  :-D

So there, a kid's words - not mine ..

i always believed that jazz... as in the essence and soul of it cannot be expressed by words, but rather thru age and experience mixed with consciousness of what's going on around you.

i hear ppl misuse the word jazz all the time... like "pare, jazzer yan" just because the kid can play complex polyrhythms, or "i love jazz music" when truth is, the stuff that person referred to was pop played in "lounge" clubs. or that guy who listens to jaco and victor wooten and then claim that the only music that's "real" is jazz... man, i find those kinds the worst as far as being a jazz poser is concerned.

i for one, appreciate some jazz music, but being 26 and having certain limited experiences musically and maybe philosophically, i  have reached the point where i know i haven't grasped the true meaning and soul of jazz yet.

maybe someday i will ... and maybe i can find the words to not make me sound full of...

in other words, i agree with the kid... you understand jazz with age (pangmatanda nga, hehehe) ... but you can learn how to appreciate it regardless of age, social stature, sex and mind i say, financial status...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 01:46:09 AM by IncX »

radiostationexp

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 08:31:42 AM »
breaking boundaries.... :-D

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »
Simple lang...

It sucks.

:-P
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline nicemusic

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 02:15:44 PM »
Jazz is not hip hop...

Hip hop is not jazz...

But i read somewhere that Joe Zawinul was the first to sample hiphop/rap back beat...

now i dont really know... :?

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »
Jazz is not hip hop...

Hip hop is not jazz...

But i read somewhere that Joe Zawinul was the first to sample hiphop/rap back beat...

now i dont really know... :?
try to listen to soulive./. i think their strong rythmic and approach is more on hip hop, but the solo parts are jazz based..

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 07:36:24 PM »
jazz rocks

Offline FullofEbak

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 12:32:43 AM »
i guess it gets relative...  :? if freedom is the essence of jazz, then maybe its a never-ending search for new and innovative techniques and sounds? if a player or musician made songs that would be classified as jazz, however sorta still sounded the same with all his/her songs, does it have the essence of jazz? maybe ...it reflects more the individual artist than the type of music s/he makes.

breaking boundaries.... :-D

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 05:17:48 AM »
jazz is when you spill water on the floor and justify that it was done purposely. hehehehe

:-D
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »
Jazz is...

Individuality

Definition

Shape

Color

Sound

A fine painting

A luxurious gown

A well-tailored suit

Vintage wine

Fine dine food

A kaleidoscope

Honesty

Love

Hate

Joy

Anger

Freedom

Bondage

Meaning

Epiphany

Happiness

Elation

Bliss

A smooth drive on a wide road

The seasons

Me

You

:-D
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline FullofEbak

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »
i heard in a vince carter interview asked if he wasnt a pro-bball player, what would he be doing? he said "jazz musician''.

jazz is watching vince carters moves!

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 11:19:02 PM »
Mahirap nga tong tanong na 'to kasi kahit anong definitions ang ibigay natin, applicable pa din sa kahit anong genre ng music..

The question now is "What is the essence of Jazz that makes it different from other style of music?"

Is it the music, or the musician who plays it?  :|
So Be It.

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 11:55:59 PM »
i think mga sirs, ang tanong ko kasi about jazz in our 'own definitions'-- kasi as musicians we have unique approaches when it comes to music, how we perceive things too... similar din sa tanong ko, your answers kasi din will reflect your personality...  :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 11:57:26 PM by jazhombie »

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 12:29:22 AM »
uuhuuyy! sina- psycho mo kami ha?! :-D

joke lang, hehehe!
So Be It.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 09:17:05 PM »
being in the moment... and capturing it  :-)

i've always felt that jazz, and blues, where the best musical vehicles that capture the "here and now".

i love bebop, i admit that i cannot relate to it, and neither can any of you unless you lived in that era. but i appreciate it's historical significance, and have learnt alot from how the musicians of that time captured the moment they were in. how jazz evolved into a faster form of music,  as things did speed up then. then how it became modal, and complex, then tok up a different shape and form into fusion, then mellowed down to be airwave friendly. it's all about being in the present moment, shifting with the paradigm. and i'm enjoying the newer guys that bring new things to the table.

i also like to think that jazz and rock are both brother's in arms, as they both like to "stick it to the man", and enjoy danger. jazz just happens to be the more refined and smarter brother  :wink: jazz is about taking chances at the spur of the moment, and celebrating your individuality. your personal interpretation of today's politics, rendered in jazz, is valid.

rock in the face of danger, assumes the stance of the juggernaut. emotionally unbridalled, destroying everything in it's path. whereas, jazz, can be likened to the spartan king leonidas. Not afraid, but in a state of heightened awareness (when confronted with complex changes!)

jazz eloquently expresses pain. i recall reading marshall mcluhan talking about how pain influences a society, a pain that is inflicted by change. just by scanning the evolution of jazz, and its historical significance at it's point in time, makes it life's fitting soundtrack. i like to think that the first group of people who flinch and moan upon the pain that change brings in, are the artists. And i like to think that it's the jazz guys that surf that pain with coolness  :wink:
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 09:47:28 PM »

joke lang, hehehe!
  :-Dhehehe, believe me i'm a psycho too(sometimes it's literal)... :-D

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 09:48:59 PM »

joke lang, hehehe!

:-D...di ka naman siguro tulad ni Charlie Parker na nag b-bonfire sa loob ng kuwarto, tapos maglalakad ng hubo't hubad !?! :lol:
So Be It.

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 09:59:14 PM »

joke lang, hehehe!

:-D...di ka naman siguro tulad ni Charlie Parker na nag b-bonfire sa loob ng kuwarto, tapos maglalakad ng hubo't hubad !?! :lol:
mahirap n magsalita dito sa forum, hehehe... basta malapit lapit din jan sa nbanggit mo,hehehe... ndi lng sa pag bonfire!!! :-D :-D :-D

Offline pyong_2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 10:00:40 PM »
the enemy of classical.... :-P
GDBLZ

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 10:08:19 PM »
classical jazz--
-- flight of the bumble bee :-D

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 10:12:36 PM by jazhombie »

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 11:57:59 AM »
Oi ha! Hindi magkalaban ang Classical and Jazz!  :-)
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro