hulika

Author Topic: Jazz Cats' Idiosyncrasies..  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Jazz Cats' Idiosyncrasies..
« on: April 12, 2007, 09:04:10 PM »
peculiarities ng mood, temperament, attitude, pananamit, etc...meron ba nito?  :|

Thanks!

So Be It.

Offline katzenjammer

Re: Jazz Cats' Idiosyncrasies..
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:04:01 AM »
wore a beret, a goatee and a big fat axe.  :-D
It's not what you play, It's not how you play, It's who you are. - Aya Yuson

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 01:16:15 AM »
Have any of you ever stood quite near Koko Bermejo (Affinity drummer) in any of their gigs?

Man, that guy grunts a lot! And he grunts out loud, especially if you can hear him amidst all that fancy drumwork he does.

And so does Johnny A ..

I haven't really heard them talk about it, but I guess it's got something to do with meditation, breathing and energy release, or something to that effect.

On another note, some guitarists have developed this habit of singing along with their solos. Not the loud George-Benson-type of singing, but a more subtle, yet still audible, scat-type vocalization that apparently helps them with their phrasing.

You can hear this a lot in Kurt Rosenwinkel's albums, particularly the 'East Coast Love Affair' trio thing. If you listen closely, you can hear him distinctively humming along in the background while he's soloing ...  :-)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 01:29:10 AM by Deacon Blues »
"No static at all ..."

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 10:50:59 AM »
How do you get a jazz musician to have a million dollars?

Give him two million.

:-P
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
ang tanong ay " Nakakapanot ba ang Jazz?"  :-D
It's not what you play, It's not how you play, It's who you are. - Aya Yuson

Offline nicemusic

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 02:05:01 PM »

Bwahahaha ok banat mo sir ha... :lol::lol::lol:

Bakit may buhok naman si Dolf ah? :-D :-D :-D

Meron ba? :?

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 10:47:52 AM »
@Deac: On Koko's grunting, yes. It's part of their release. I've read several articles regarding proper breathing whenever you solo. In Brian Bromberg's Wood II album, I also hear him sing/hum his lines when he solos. I also have Coltrane's "Naima" clip from Youtube and I also hear his pianist hum his solos. The same goes with Oscar Peterson, too. I never heard NHOP do the same, though.

Humming while soloing will aid you translate your ideas better. We have to remember that we have to be one with our instruments to express ourselves better that's why wheh you read notes you also have to know at least to sing them.  :-)
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 04:29:44 PM »

Hindi naman 'ata... Pero kapag magaling ka talaga sa kama, makakalbo ka sa kasasabunot sa yo.  :wink:

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 11:10:04 PM »
 :-D

..ibang licks naman yan, Aya eh!

Di ba karamihan (kundi lahat) sa mga jazzer nag d-droga?

pero madami ding nag d-droga ang hindi naman jazzer :-D

So Be It.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 08:30:18 PM »
Have any of you ever stood quite near Koko Bermejo (Affinity drummer) in any of their gigs?

Man, that guy grunts a lot! And he grunts out loud, especially if you can hear him amidst all that fancy drumwork he does.

And so does Johnny A ..

I haven't really heard them talk about it, but I guess it's got something to do with meditation, breathing and energy release, or something to that effect.

On another note, some guitarists have developed this habit of singing along with their solos. Not the loud George-Benson-type of singing, but a more subtle, yet still audible, scat-type vocalization that apparently helps them with their phrasing.

You can hear this a lot in Kurt Rosenwinkel's albums, particularly the 'East Coast Love Affair' trio thing. If you listen closely, you can hear him distinctively humming along in the background while he's soloing ...  :-)

just as your breathing technique when you play a solo, kala mo i don't take notice, eh?  :-D

basta, with jazz, tone is in the bigote  :wink:

but as for indiosyncrasies, i've found that folks that love jazz (and the bestest musicians i've met, including deacon here)-

- are in "like" with gear, but are in love with the music
- have the wittiest and quirkiest sense of humor! playing wise and conversation wise. Like deacon breaking into the riff of europe's "the final countdown", in the middle of "sunny", or dolph asking me to harmonize with him the harmony lead of francis m's "kaleidescope world" in the middle of a jazz standard. too much fun, i heard the siren's of the jazz police outside...
- have the deepest and most profound insights in music and life itself
- laugh at the gayness of benson (hahahahahah!!!) i love you george, and i don't mean "boy"  :-D
- i still consider myself to be sitting in the jazz stroller wearing jazz nappies and sucking on a jazz pacifier. but when i feel the groove and solo, i salivate to the point that there have been quite a few times that i have been caught, erm... dribbling across the court to the point of "travelling", hahahahaha! 

off the top of my head...
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »

Also with keyboardists. Tom Jobim does this humming too.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 12:42:56 AM »
Johnny Alegre does make a lot of faces when he solos - oddly enough he refuses to acknowledge photographs of him showing him making those faces.

Another winner in the "mukha asim" contest while grooving is bassist Meong Pacana. I gotta dig up some of those old photos of him looking like a constipated bear while laying down awesomely phat walking bass lines with Buhay one of these days.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:12:33 AM by Jim Ayson »
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 12:45:11 AM »

- laugh at the gayness of benson (hahahahahah!!!) i love you george, and i don't mean "boy"  :-D

I had a front row seat to George Benson when he played at the Folk Arts Theater. I swear the dude wears mascara and eye liner. On Raimund Marasigan, ok. but not sure that goes with jazz.  :-D

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 12:59:10 AM »
Hey Jim!

Haven't seen you around for some time ..

Wow, talk about Benson and his 'mascarade'   :-D ... geez ..

Here's an interesting story from a friend who interviewed this local jazz artist for a feature story.

So, after a few minutes of chitchat, the magazine's crew tells my friend that the setup for the photo shoot is ready.

When she told the 'artist' to prep up for the shoot, the guy goes off into a corner and pulls out this flat, round thing from his pocket.

My friend said, "Damn! I thought he took out an iPod or some other music gizmo .. I was completely shocked when he opened it and put on mascara .."

It was hilarious, reading her text ..

So there ..

The secret to great jazz:

"Mag re-touch!!!"  :-D

"No static at all ..."

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 01:08:05 AM »
And of course you're going to tell us who this guy is...   :mrgreen:

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 01:10:38 AM »
Uhm ... maybe not.

I love lawsuit guitars, but not lawsuits ...  :-D
"No static at all ..."

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 09:17:24 PM »

^^^Sabihin mo na,bro.... Kahit clue na lang, sige na..!!? :-D
So Be It.

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 01:58:08 AM »
si keith jarret maingay din kapag nagsosolo :-)

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 10:27:45 AM »
Uhm ... maybe not.

I love lawsuit guitars, but not lawsuits ...  :-D

O, siya, siya... Aaminin ko na... It was me.

:-D :-P :lol:

O... sa mga hindi gumagamit ng utak diyan... biro lang yan. Inaako ko na lang, kawawa naman 'yang taong 'yan --- kung sino man 'yan --- kung pinagtsismisan pa natin dito.
c",)