hulika

Author Topic: Attn: Musicians - what do you think of busking?  (Read 7212 times)

Offline pinoypiper

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Attn: Musicians - what do you think of busking?
« on: October 13, 2004, 04:57:50 PM »
as performance artists... what do Filipino musicians think of busking?

busking is a perfectly honorable way for musicians to earn money... why it is not practiced here... I don't know... (well actually I have some ideas but I want to hear what you guys have to say)... kadalasan mga bulag lang ang gumagawa nito... but i honestly think quality of busking will be better if sighted muscians got involved.

ngayon magpapasko na, meron ba sa inyong interesado mag-busking sa mall to earn some extra Pesos? strictly busking lang... no TF!

for those who do not have that word in your dictionary this is what it means:  

busker (bus?k?r) noun
A street musician or public entertainer, especially one who solicits money during a performance.... busking is what a busker does.

Cheers/Roy
E'en Do bait Spair Nocht
www.pinoypiper.com

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 05:23:31 PM »
There's probably one reason why busking isn't often done here --- in the Philippines, every place has piped in music. It's quite irritating actually - because you can never find peace of quiet in any place, even shopping malls and all fast food outlets have some radio blaring... some places even have amps and speakers to play the music outside if you're sitting in tables in the sidewalk (a lot of places do this because of the indoor smoking ban). I love music but a lot of the music being piped in is crap... (well not to my taste) And they always play it LOUD.

Anyway, it seems that busking (which in itself is a good idea) will compete with all that built in noise pollution from the piped in and piped out music.

Offline 430nmtune

busking
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 03:14:05 PM »
Do it in the parks and places where there is less ambient noise. People are more receptive and relaxed in park settings and are more inclined to toss in a few pesos or so. Busking can get good money overseas but probably not so much in the Philippines. So it is better done for the sake of playing and enjoyment.  Then if we are free of the monetary expectation. we avoid getting frustrated. I guess it will be a very nice activity for the artist and the audience. For some it is not a way to make a living but a way of life.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 01:20:12 AM »
surefire way to hone your skills on working at the audience 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline candyapplered

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 09:32:10 PM »
i remember asking one acoustic band to rehearse in this resto, actually on the al fresco tables. some people enjoyed the music, requested some songs. even if we didn't make money out of that jam, at least we made some people happy.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 11:54:14 PM »
WELL START IT AND MAKE IT A TREND..!!!! i wanna see you guys do it .  para pag uwi ko me mapakinggan naman ako na mga talents. kakabuwiset na yung mga talentless na nakakakuha ng airplay...it works two ways, enjoyment sa listeners at magandang training ground ito nung musicians... both benefits..
Music is art in sound...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 11:56:58 PM »
Baka sa bus puwede?  Bus-king kamo eh.  :lol: (Runs and hides dahil sa kakornihan).

Offline pinoypiper

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 02:17:20 PM »
I was practicing at the baywalk once, not really busking, but my instrument case was open so I guess they thought I was. A couple of tourists actually put in a total of 30 pesos in there. there was a couple there doing a pre-nup photo session that also included me in a couple of shots.

I think the best places to busk would be high traffic tourist areas. us fellow pinoys just watch and listen and very few even bother show their appreciation by dropping a few bucks.
E'en Do bait Spair Nocht
www.pinoypiper.com

Offline renz_sui

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »
Baka hingan tayo ng tax ni aling Gloria at tabuyin ng mga MMDA. hahahahaha. Masakit makumpiskahan ng gamit lalu na yung pedal board mo na pinagipunan ng ilang taon.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 10:13:47 AM »
I've done it sa Greenbelt, sa UP, Washington DC, and Old Town, Virginia. I want to do it more but there are really few places, like above, that will appreciate what I play.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »
try baywalk like what pinoypiper did. tamang tama ang busking sayo delta. you can even bring a friend para may variety yung tunog.
Surf's Up!

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 10:39:20 AM »
i'd like to try it. mahiyain nga lang ako. di ko kaya ng walang band to hide behind.

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 11:49:07 AM »
back in college, i remember a friend of mine told me that MTV caught Dimebag doing this...Nobody recognized him at first cause he was palying the blues, and so on till he started to shred...then narecognize na sya...I don't know if this true though... :roll:
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 12:26:46 PM »
Quote from: glassjaw_jc
try baywalk like what pinoypiper did. tamang tama ang busking sayo delta. you can even bring a friend para may variety yung tunog.

the shiny "owner-type" resonator gtr will surely attract the crowds. then i gotta be able to actually play to keep them and get spare change. :-)

for places like these, don't you need to get a permit?

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 12:54:49 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim

the shiny "owner-type" resonator gtr will surely attract the crowds. then i gotta be able to actually play to keep them and get spare change. :-)

no need, you just pick a place and start playing. nonood ako kung itutuloy mo :)
Surf's Up!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 01:09:01 PM »

no need, you just pick a place and start playing. nonood ako kung itutuloy mo :)

tnx... pero not much of a busk if there's an email and txt invite/announcement, would it? lol!  :-)

seriously though, maybe we can add to the Pinoy Blues Club projects itong pag-busk.  lahat ng gusto mag-busk would converge on a designated area for a certain period. after a few hours, pwede mag-share ng experience, tips, compare notes, etc. to enhance yung skills ng lahat overall.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 01:31:16 PM »
good idea! i'm all for it!

i always equate busking with blues anyway.
Surf's Up!

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 08:19:33 PM »
theoretically i've buskd then! haha
there was one time i was so into my mini amp that i brought i everywhere with my guitar. And one time I was with my mini amp (which was hanging on my back butt pocket) and my goldtop walking around shangrila while i was waiting for someone. Tapos I tried putting a cap in front of me tapos may nagbigay rin hahhaa . I got 60+ bucks for less than an hour i think.

Wait hindi ba sha illegal?!?! Cuz if its not.... BUSKING NA TOH!! haha

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »
also a nice way to promote your cd's :)

like what this guy did (in japan)

doh!!!

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 09:13:57 PM »
saan kaya sha naka plug??

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 09:15:31 PM »
sa yellow amp to his left side.

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 10:48:54 PM »
sakto... that's a crate taxi series amp
doh!!!

Offline spyderman

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 10:32:23 AM »
busking na to pre!!!! masaya yan. pero mas ok sana kung may kasama kang vocalist....

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
ok kaya yang taxi mini amp?

mas ok kaya ito (tagal ko na gusto kumuha nito):
http://www.roland.com/products/en/Micro-CUBE/index.html

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 12:23:59 PM »
ok kaya yang taxi mini amp?

mas ok kaya ito (tagal ko na gusto kumuha nito):
http://www.roland.com/products/en/Micro-CUBE/index.html

ok yung tunog nung taxi amp. mejo pricey nga lang nasa PHP10k or more ata yung 15w amp
doh!!!