hulika

Author Topic: Brian Setzer?  (Read 4367 times)

Offline bluejem

• Forum Fanatic
Brian Setzer?
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »
Brian Setzer,what kind of Genre is his music,what can you say about his playing,skills,arranging,music making?

I`ll start,IMHO I consider his music to be rockabiliy/jazz.He can play really good,jazzy lines and so on.His altered chords are really amazing and arranges them very well for his music.I still can remember his version of sleepwalk,so far my favorite.And next is Larry Carlton`s sleepwalk.
I can say Brian Setzer is 1 hell of a guitar player,arranger,composer and an artist in his own way.

What about you guys?

Share your views...thanks,PEACE :-D
\"My philosophy is: if the product is right, the price is right and you treat your customers the way you want to be treated, the word-of-mouth is faster than <br />the speed of sound!\"<br />(Words from Bill Lawrence)

Offline brianb

Re: Brian Setzer?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 02:12:47 PM »
I liked Setzer in the Stray Cats. "Stray Cat Strut" was one of the first songs I learned on guitar (chords only) waaaay back in the mid 80s. But beyond his work there, and a cameo on The Nanny, I have no clue as to what he's been doing lately.

radiostationexp

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 02:26:57 PM »
I think he's been leading the Brian Setzer Orchestra for some years now. Tipo 'yatang 40's big band ang setup.

Yeah! I remember the Stray Cats! Grade school pa ako 'nun.  :-D

Rockabilly/ jazz din ang best description ko sa style of music niya.

Whenever I hear the guitar solo of "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets naiisip ko kaagad na malamang naging influence ito kay Brian Setzer. Iba rin trip nito eh. When his contemporaries where getting into tapping and sweeping, he chose to "look to the past" kung baga.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
BSO!!! me loves!

Offline catherine_wheel

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 04:08:31 PM »
he's really a good guitar player. I noticed his performance at woodstock 99. parang wala lang.

Offline bluejem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 12:16:32 PM »
I liked Setzer in the Stray Cats. "Stray Cat Strut" was one of the first songs I learned on guitar (chords only) waaaay back in the mid 80s. But beyond his work there, and a cameo on The Nanny, I have no clue as to what he's been doing lately.

Ahm,he had a dvd concert live in Japan I think 3 or 4 years ago.And as usual he was amazing.
\"My philosophy is: if the product is right, the price is right and you treat your customers the way you want to be treated, the word-of-mouth is faster than <br />the speed of sound!\"<br />(Words from Bill Lawrence)

Offline Dudley

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:58:25 PM »
the BSO rocks man, i've heard their Woodstock '99 set and he was great on guitar...and a great showman at that.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 05:02:16 AM »
hmmmmm

stray cats and brian setzer orchestra......great bands with no compromise approach! commercially viable pa!

great chops----bluesy and swingy....rockabilly and jazz influenced.

great guitar named after him.....

great voice

makapag laglag panty na itsura...laglag boxers na din ahahay!

hhhhhhmmmmmmmm......................if you think about it....this guys has it all!and he's still alive!

hendrix? dead...satriani and vai....cant sing, no looks.

oh yeah there's john mayer.....but he has a lot of detractors....setzer has no enemies--everybody likes him and his music.

brian setzer has it all dudes.. 8-)
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 10:47:31 PM »
bad boy of rockabilly-jazz.. one of my fave in rockabilly-style, i like his punk attitude.. :-D

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 11:13:16 PM »
whats with the "what kind of genre"  :? if its good its good...

anyway pareng brian is one of my all time faves, got me greasing (brylcreem) my hair and wearing leather to high school dances...

i dunno about jazz, there are far more cats who are truly jazz players, brian sort of walks the line but stops short of actually crossing it... i read that he studied a lot of jazz players though prior to starting bso (freddie green?)

astig talaga natural na natural nga mag gitara, bso is a bit too hokey for me sometimes but its still fun

rumble in brighton is a great punky rockabilly song, may archtop feedback pa :-o
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 02:51:58 AM »
brian setzer is on a league of his own...  a notch above Harry Connick in the crooning dept. also.  galing yung Japan concert, "Hawaii Five O" for the opening tapos yung "Mystery Train" with just him the bass player saka yung drummer standing up on a bare kit. they really pulled all the stops on this number. yun nga lang he has this recognizable licks which pop up occasionally on some songs.  he also did "Boddhisattava" for the soundtrack on that Jim Carrey movie "Me Myself and Irene".  lately he looks totally bloated...
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 08:58:12 AM »
Setzer is awesome!

I've read somewhere that he was jazz trained and a fluent sight-reader. Methinks he is ultra-talented, has great chops. I dig the rockabilly thang, and how he meshes jazz lines and country with his stuff, while keeping it very musical. THAt is challenging, and he surely has the talent to pull it off.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 09:17:46 AM »
hmmmmm

stray cats and brian setzer orchestra......great bands with no compromise approach! commercially viable pa!

great chops----bluesy and swingy....rockabilly and jazz influenced.

great guitar named after him.....

great voice

makapag laglag panty na itsura...laglag boxers na din ahahay!

hhhhhhmmmmmmmm......................if you think about it....this guys has it all!and he's still alive!

ditto.

funny coz yesterday I put the Stray Cats CD on during lunch and my 5yo boy couldn't help moving to the beat. So I "educated" him a little bit about Brian and the Cats.

that '99 Woodstock set is AMAZING! Sweet sounding guitar. Busy but musical. And his bass player is a MONSTER on acoustic upright.

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 10:57:37 AM »
setzer is the complete package.  great guitarist, singer, songwriter, and showman.

i actually like his BSO output more than his Stray Cats stuff, but that's just me.

blustringah

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 11:18:07 PM »
mismo momis talaga yan cat na yan!

Offline bans11

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 06:34:23 PM »
Talagang pure Rockabilly rock si Brian Setzer, ang tema ng music nya ay tulad ng kay Elvis nung nag record sya sa SUN STUDIO nung 1955. most of his guitar licks ay very similar to Scotty Moore, (elvis lead guitarist) big influence din sya ni Eddie Cochran na ginampanan nya sa La Bamba. pati looks ay similarity sila and his Gretsch 6120 guitar. nung nag matured na sya temang big band na ang dating nya. pinagsama-sama nya ang boogie, swing, rock and roll. he stood the test of time, and for many many years, he will rock this world! sana mag concert sya sa pinas, ng masuot ko ang leather jacket ko kahit sobrang inet!

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 11:59:40 PM »
I saw Brian Setzer live at the Warfield theater in San Francisco round the time he was putting up his big band in the late 90's... that's a BIGGG band, a 17-piece horn heavy orchestra. His sound is pretty unique, he's stuck in the 50's rockabilly era with his Eddie Cochran hairdo and big fat Gretsch guitars, but his band is a swing band. So it's really Neo-swing with rockabilly guitar, neither here nor there. Their big hit was "Jump Jive and Wail" or something that was played in a Gap commercial.

This was a period when the neo-swing bands were coming out like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, and lahat ng mga daddies diyan :) So he put the band together at the right time. Swing was a scene, the couples would come to the concert dressed up in 30's clothes and dance the lindy hop (there were no chairs). Those girls were  real cute made up like that.

I wonder where this neo-swing scene is now. It had jazz roots but was very dancable.
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline cky

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

of course it's brian setzer (and his orchestra), man i want to reply....

the BSO awakened the jazz, blues, boogie, swing, rockabilly in me...not to mention, made me buy my first hollowbody with bigsby... :-D

i want to form a band like the BSO, but who you gonna call, kids from drum and bugle? though masayang turuan sila, hirap nun... :mrgreen:

Offline marv9

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 01:43:25 PM »
malupet to! trip na trip ko yung style nya even nung stray cat days pa 8-)

Offline rennaov

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »
Brian's too cool for school.  I dont know if its only me, but he's the type of player that when you look at his hands, you can see and feel that its sound, skill, and speed developed from years of playing, it doesn't look very cold and schooled, its like he's really going for it.  His music gets you going and going.  Awesome player.  Cant get enough of his rendition of caravan.  Rumble in brighton is murderous.
I see traces, fragments of God shared in the form of human talent...

Offline Harpoon

• Netizen Level
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 05:23:38 AM »
wow. brian setzer and stray cats.. their music was a really big influence sa banda namin noon with my brothers (i play drums by the way). i remember back then, tumugtog kami sa battle of the bands sa UST noong 1991 that was sponsored by RJ radio and San Miguel Beer. I think we played nine lives, and another stray cats tune that icant remember the title. Being a 12 yr old kid then, I was so nervous coz most of the other bands played alot of the more heavy, loud, metal rock that blew the audiences away. We felt really out of place but we didn't care nd just played our hearts out.... We didn't win by the way (The Wall aka The Youth won that night), but it was a great, memorable experience for me. Some people even approached us, and told us that it was cool we played stray cats tunes. Ah...Good times.

I could categorize brian setzer orchestra's music as rockabilly swing but as chuck sabbath says, its not important what genre it is as long as its good and you enjoy it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:47:26 AM by Harpoon »

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
I'm giving all the stars for Mr. Setzer's take on Sleepwalk. Very, very sweet.  :-D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:17:03 AM by nancy brew »
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline yetsky

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 08:31:40 AM »
I'm giving all the stars for the Mr. Setzer's take on Sleepwalk. Very, very sweet.  :-D

mismo to!

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 04:01:27 AM »
ako lang ba nakakapansin na hawig sila ni paul mcartney ?