hulika

Author Topic: The mystery of the crossroads  (Read 4516 times)

Offline bans11

• Philmusicus Noobitus
The mystery of the crossroads
« on: June 02, 2007, 07:10:01 AM »
Do you believe that Robert Johnson really sold his soul to the devil :evil: in crossroad in Misissipi, just to be a good Blues guitarist? or it's just a myth.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 12:03:00 PM by Jim Ayson »

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The mistery of the crossroads
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 07:27:29 AM »
sabi ni BB king "it's just a myth"

"you don't need to go to the crossroads to sell your soul to the devil. there are demons all around us!(BB King chuckles). But there are a lot of angels on earth too!"
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 08:32:45 AM »
heheeheh, here goes again..exciting talaga tong myth nato..kaka intriga..pati tuloy ako, malapit nadala..everybody says na its a myth, kahit nga ung first na nag manage ke RJ nag sabi sa isang article dati..me sinasabi daw si RJ about ung song na "Hellhound on my trail", and something when he look sa bass drum ang name daw ni RJ andun kasama na engraved name, ung nasa mga burol..creepy kaso i think its a myth..

pero, dig this...

kurt cobain, janis joplin, jimi hendrix, robert johnson all died at the age of 27..
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 09:15:12 AM »
sabi ni BB king "it's just a myth"

"you don't need to go to the crossroads to sell your soul to the devil. there are demons all around us!(BB King chuckles). But there are a lot of angels on earth too!"

+1

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »
Actually Delta Slim sold his soul at the crossroads of Kamias and EDSA....

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline bans11

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 10:19:12 AM »
heheeheh, here goes again..exciting talaga tong myth nato..kaka intriga..pati tuloy ako, malapit nadala..everybody says na its a myth, kahit nga ung first na nag manage ke RJ nag sabi sa isang article dati..me sinasabi daw si RJ about ung song na "Hellhound on my trail", and something when he look sa bass drum ang name daw ni RJ andun kasama na engraved name, ung nasa mga burol..creepy kaso i think its a myth..

pero, dig this...

kurt cobain, janis joplin, jimi hendrix, robert johnson all died at the age of 27..

isama mo na rin si bratt nowell ng sublime, sila ang 27 club

Offline ponky26

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 10:22:44 AM »
  :-D   try ko nga din para gumaling ako tulad ni Sir Joric hehe..  lapit lang ng kamias oh

joke peace  :-D

SRV died on August 27..  

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »
hahahhh..to sum it all up..

27 ang number dapat ni jim carey, d 23..wakekekke!
i dunno..baka nga..hehehe..creepy!

for those who still cant get enough..
this is a nice read..jejejejej!

http://www.thebluehighway.com/crsrds1.html

http://www.thebluehighway.com/crsrds2.html

http://www.purplebeech.com/blues/?bcsi_scan_9667378BE52D6621=0

« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 01:43:38 PM by joshnerez »
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline brianb

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 01:51:37 PM »
Do you believe that Robert Johnson really sold his soul to the devil :evil: in crossroad in Misissipi, just to be a good Blues guitarist? or it's just a myth.

Sinisiraan lang sya ng ibang guitarists that were jealous of his technique. Same as what other violinists did to Paganini.

Offline bans11

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 02:30:49 PM »
I think si Son House ang nagpasimuno ng tsismis nato, hindi kasi nila maaccept, na in a short months nawala si RB sa eksena, eh daig pa silang mga veteran sa pagtugtog. ina-under estimate kasi nila yung talent nung mama, siguro na challenge, kaya practice to the maxx ang ginawa nya, yun nga lang mga nagmukhang mga grade school ang mga ditractors nya, at nagsituluan ang mga laway ng mapakinggan ang paghataw nya ng gitara. :evil:

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 09:32:57 PM »
sir, i believe this tuning described is just open tunings. Baka may nagturo lang kay Master Robert ng mga open tunings na ginamit niya  :-D

Tapos nainggit yung teacher niyang si Son House

Offline musguit2

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »
'MYSTERY"
77 GRECO Les Paul Standard, Ibanez AG75 jazz, Aria Pro II SG600/MatsmKu.

"I PLUCK THEREFORE I AM." rto/2006

Offline backdoor_man

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 12:39:18 AM »
ey, myth or no myth, whoever sold his soul to the devil would definitely still be playin til now. sino nga kaya?! :?
http://backdoorbluescafe.multiply.com
"LAY DOWN MORE SORROWS" Another Night Of Soul-Stirring Blues Music@Backdoor Blues Cafe Oct.4 (Saturday)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The mystery of the crossroads
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't help it - I just had to correct the spelling of "mystery".  :roll:
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 10:15:51 AM »
Actually Delta Slim sold his soul at the crossroads of Kamias and EDSA....

Actually, Jim, it's at the corner of Quezon Ave and West Ave... kaya nga "Delta" me e.  ;-)

Haha... ang corny ko.  :-D

I'm not one of them...  but let me just add this. 

RJ only borrowed that 'legend' for himself.  Another Johnson (Tommy) before him was alleged to have also sold his soul and that made him kyna famous, at least all around Mississippi, which was a huge deal back in the days of pony express.  Then Peetie Wheatsraw went so far as to dub himself as the "Devil's Son In Law" and sold a lot of records.  See, RJ was smart to use an old trick...  The 'legend' is true cuz--as a marketing trick--it works.  ;-)

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 03:06:22 PM »

I'm not one of them...  but let me just add this. 

RJ only borrowed that 'legend' for himself.  Another Johnson (Tommy) before him was alleged to have also sold his soul and that made him kyna famous, at least all around Mississippi, which was a huge deal back in the days of pony express.  Then Peetie Wheatsraw went so far as to dub himself as the "Devil's Son In Law" and sold a lot of records.  See, RJ was smart to use an old trick...  The 'legend' is true cuz--as a marketing trick--it works.  ;-)

hehehehe..boss joric, grabeh din yan ah..wakekekeke!
so Peetie Wheatsraw was alledgedly claiming..wahahaahah! kala ko kasi
medyo ok ung myth kasi meaning those days ung mga slaves believed on the
supernatural..but i didnt fall on the gimmick, but it helps the curiosity and intrigue..

hehehe, gaya nung movie sa cinemax ung all about musicians, selling out exchanged
for his soul..hehehehehe! ang myth talaga..

:roll:

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 05:15:24 AM »
naisip ko ito nong nagstart pa lng ako magitara.....crossroads ung sa may labas ng bahay namen.....

labas ka before 12am dala mo gitara mo tapos may lalapit daw sa iyo, itotono ang gitara mo...then voila!  instant ultimate guitarist ka na.....

black sabbath also have an album we sold our souls for rock and roll :-D

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »
"kurt cobain, janis joplin, jimi hendrix, robert johnson all died at the age of 27.."
 Shannon Hoon of blind melons also died at the age of 27...
X-DW user...SPAUN convert!

Offline foom

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 07:39:46 PM »
teka, teka. malapit na akong mag-27. tsk tsk...
HEHEHE
end is near. learn to swim.

Offline ysabella

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 08:37:08 AM »
pero bakit maraming na pa puzzle sa playing style ni robert johnson..they said as if there are two guitarist daw on his songs..like playing rhythym and lead at the same time....its impossible daw doing that in his own time..

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 01:46:31 PM »
pero bakit maraming na pa puzzle sa playing style ni robert johnson..they said as if there are two guitarist daw on his songs..like playing rhythym and lead at the same time....its impossible daw doing that in his own time..
[/quote

not if you're a bottleneck guitarist from the Delta or ragtime artist from Piedmont...  that was THE style.  RJ was just one of many who played like 2 gtrs at once.

Offline ysabella

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »
[/quote

not if you're a bottleneck guitarist from the Delta or ragtime artist from Piedmont...  that was THE style.  RJ was just one of many who played like 2 gtrs at once.

so its not a mystery pala sir delta..akala ko pa naman totoong he sold his soul...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 12:39:50 PM »
i was referring to the style of sounding like 2 gtrsts playing at once.  that was more the norm rather than the exception then. bluesmen were trying to provide entertainment and dance music so that parang full band ang tunog.