hulika

Author Topic: Tips on how to learn jazz  (Read 23838 times)

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Tips on how to learn jazz
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 04:06:09 PM »
to learn jazz is to appreciate its form by heart first. like a growing person our taste changes as we grow old. most of us lahat galing sa rock kasi its one of the simplest forms of music and when i say simple it doesnt mean na pangit to or it is to be less concerned about.Me simple rock (punk
) me complex rock (prog) parehas din sa jazz, me simple (Smooth Jazz ..poste poste) at me komplikado (Fusion) swerte na kung we grow up with a Jazz environment para early training talaga.

one must not rush himself to learn this music form just to attain the skill we wish to obtain.

if one truly desires to learn jazz, he or she must endure the hardships of rigorous practice and disciplined musicaltraining (note reading...theories)

these are just facts that are we can consider pero naniniwala din ako na Jazz playing can be developed in a person sa pakikinig at paghanga sa isa sa pinaka mataas na antas ng musika.
life is like a $H!T sandwich. the more BREAD ya got...the less $H!T ya eat

visit our site: http://flickerfusion.multiply.com/ watch our video:

william251082

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 06:32:16 PM »
pratice at a slow but in the groove tempo, no weird rhythms first.
slow is the way to go

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 06:36:28 PM »
slow is the way to go
tama, wag madali, ika nga ni sir V, practice slow 1st...
fast pag kay ate amy :-D

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2007, 10:21:06 PM »
lets just say, you've taken the first step by immersing yourself with miles davis, coltrane, gillespie and parker, etc etc

i've only got one statement you sound take to heart...

"It dont mean a thing if you ain't got the swing"

As a former shredder myself, i had to dive into playing true rhythm when i dived into jazz. throw away your malmsteen/vai 16th note triplets (you can revisit them later...), you wont need them.

screw your paul gilbert vibrato (just for now)

and for your michael angelo batio raked sweep picked major and minor arpeggios... unless you can execute quartals with that technique ala coltrane and mccoy tyner, that too, you'll have to bury in your backyard.

swing slow, swing hard, think in halftime ALWAYS. your have to dump your scalar sequences and start learning how to target notes within the chord. welcome to the world of real harmony, and dealing with changes and navigating progressions.

bu the bottom line is... your lines have to swing. start there, and with dealing with your basic turnarounds, then you're on the right track.

secondly, find a great teacher. jazz's real tradition is the mentoring system. call it drunken master kung-fu, call it the old african way, call it whatever you want... but having a great mentor will save you many headaches.

then you can continue the jazz tradition... by breaking the rules after you have learnt them. you cant break something you do not understand/know.

:wink:

"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 12:54:24 PM »
^^^ 2 Thumbs up!  :-)
So Be It.

Offline pcalmaden

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 01:06:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice's, nga pla can you give me places kung san pwede makinig ng jazz bands, ung instrumental jazz po ha kung pwede on metro manila lng, as for the lesssons sa jazz, cant afford po eh,

5th manila jazz fest sa friday sa sofitel.  :-)

Sino naman po ang mga "jazz artists" na darating sa sofitel?
we also sell puto and other kakanin

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »
5TH Manila Jazzfest is over na dude. that was last month.

BAT PROJECT
UST JAZZ BAND
UP JAZZ ENSEMBLE
RADIOACTIVE SAGO PROJECT
SINO SIKAT?
JEWELMER JAZZ BAND
THE JAZZ VOLUNTEERS
BRASS MUNKEYS
THOMAS ENCHO AND THE JAZZ ANGELS

grabe super saya netong experience na to. i hope the 6th MANILA JAZZ FEST will be free again!!
life is like a $H!T sandwich. the more BREAD ya got...the less $H!T ya eat

visit our site: http://flickerfusion.multiply.com/ watch our video:

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2007, 04:51:25 PM »
lets just say, you've taken the first step by immersing yourself with miles davis, coltrane, gillespie and parker, etc etc

As a former shredder myself, i had to dive into playing true rhythm when i dived into jazz. throw away your malmsteen/vai 16th note triplets (you can revisit them later...), you wont need them.

and for your michael angelo batio raked sweep picked major and minor arpeggios... unless you can execute quartals with that technique ala coltrane and mccoy tyner, that too, you'll have to bury in your backyard.

swing slow, swing hard, think in halftime ALWAYS. your have to dump your scalar sequences and start learning how to target notes within the chord. welcome to the world of real harmony, and dealing with changes and navigating progressions.

bu the bottom line is... your lines have to swing. start there, and with dealing with your basic turnarounds, then you're on the right track.

secondly, find a great teacher. jazz's real tradition is the mentoring system. call it drunken master kung-fu, call it the old african way, call it whatever you want... but having a great mentor will save you many headaches.

then you can continue the jazz tradition... by breaking the rules after you have learnt them. you cant break something you do not understand/know.

very well said... amen to that... yes, you can start learning from traditional mentors, tapos after dismantle mo na, then make your own style and statement! :-D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:08:45 PM by jazhombie »

Offline pcalmaden

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2007, 06:03:36 PM »
5TH Manila Jazzfest is over na dude. that was last month.

BAT PROJECT
UST JAZZ BAND
UP JAZZ ENSEMBLE
RADIOACTIVE SAGO PROJECT
SINO SIKAT?
JEWELMER JAZZ BAND
THE JAZZ VOLUNTEERS
BRASS MUNKEYS
THOMAS ENCHO AND THE JAZZ ANGELS

grabe super saya netong experience na to. i hope the 6th MANILA JAZZ FEST will be free again!!

asteeg yan ah  :-)

sana nakasama din ang mga pinoy jazz greats like lakay,bobot mabalot, colby, romy k. romy posadas, mang abel etc...
we also sell puto and other kakanin

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 08:21:33 PM »

veru well said... amen to that... yes, you can start learning from traditional mentors, tapos after dismantle mo na, then make your own style and statement! :-D

now, that's what i dig about your voice! you have done an amazing job dismantling jazz, hombie. only few can do it as honest as you can, count me among a fellow dismantler  :-)

"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

william251082

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 06:16:46 PM »
slow is the way to go
tama, wag madali, ika nga ni sir V, practice slow 1st...
fast pag kay ate amy :-D

right! u're not really gonna learn anything by playing endless fast lines that u don't really understand.
i didn't really understand sir v before about playing slow, until now...

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2007, 01:52:11 PM »

psychic_sushi is my mentor   :-D  long time no see 'Ton
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 01:54:14 PM by rodney vidanes »
John 3:16

Pierrot

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 08:37:43 AM »
Jazz... it's not that i'm good at it already (i'm still learning) but to learn jazz you need to....

Read about jazz ( jazz books are hard to find here... it's either you go abroad or better yet, download ebooks  :lol:)

Listen to Jazz (listen intently... take note of each player's style and also take note of the differences of each type of jazz)

Play Jazz (this is the hard part specially if you are too young to have jazzaholic friends. if this is the case then you are probably  stuck (like me) with progheads(no offense.. i like prog too but, i wanna play jazz.. hehe), yngwie malmsteen worshippers, double peds fanatics and all those fast-paced action music lovers

:-P

LOL ^_^ yup maraming ganyan samin, not that i hate prog, si Petrucci nag jazz din eh, si yngwie .... iba na yun

william251082

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 07:18:41 AM »
They say there are four phases to knowledge (on NLP I think):

Unconcious incompetence: You don't know what you're doing wrong
Concious incompetence: You do know but still can't do it right
Concious competence: You start doing it right but have to think about it
Unconcious competence: You just do it, it's a part of you

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 07:56:16 AM »
They say there are four phases to knowledge (on NLP I think):

Unconcious incompetence: You don't know what you're doing wrong
Concious incompetence: You do know but still can't do it right
Concious competence: You start doing it right but have to think about it
Unconcious competence: You just do it, it's a part of you
nice :-D

Offline ibanezman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 04:08:02 PM »
correct, LISTEN  :-)

believe it or not i listen to jazz 16 hours a day, i'm just kinda hooked up with that lifestyle, masarap eh. so for me to learn jazz is to LISTEN!

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 04:38:36 PM »
i'm not really a great musician, much less as a jazz player, but someone told me to get all the resources that you can have and just immerse yourself in that - you can even listen to jazz in your sleep to have your subconcious mind learn. Jazz is very hard especially to those that aren't born with the gift of exceptional musicality, so you'll have to work hard.

It will be painful, but worth it.

william251082

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2007, 02:35:19 PM »
for me: i just listen, communicate and play when on the bandstand, nothingelse, i know i can only do what i can so i have to make the most out of it. i do the thinking about guide tones, cool licks, difficult stuffs etc. in my practice room.

note: this works for ME, if not for YOU then leave it. peace!

william251082

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2007, 09:51:51 PM »
A tip on how to learn jazz:

JUST DO IT!

Offline jeff_proX40

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2007, 01:45:13 AM »
Learn, unlearn and relearn like the old saying says.
Just let your music fill the empty spaces in you. It's all you have so take advantage of it. It's a gift!

Offline Grim

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2007, 09:34:03 PM »
i'm not really a great musician, much less as a jazz player, but someone told me to get all the resources that you can have and just immerse yourself in that - you can even listen to jazz in your sleep to have your subconcious mind learn. Jazz is very hard especially to those that aren't born with the gift of exceptional musicality, so you'll have to work hard.

It will be painful, but worth it.

SAKTO!!  :-D, music is hard to learn..... But no one said it was easy  :-D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:35:28 PM by Grim »
By reading this you have given me complete control of your mind for the time it took you to read this message.<br /><br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako

william251082

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2007, 10:43:57 PM »
1. Listen and internalize the music!
2. Watch concerts of good jazz players to get an idea how it's done.
3. Develop good sense of time!

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2007, 09:38:32 AM »
just let your playing or fingers do the talking... :lol:

william251082

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2007, 08:13:46 PM »
Keep an open mind!
You can learn from anyone who plays the instrument, whether he's a beginner or a freak of nature. :-D

william251082

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2007, 09:37:23 PM »
Detune your guitar then try to make music out of it.