hulika

Author Topic: -> tRiViAs AbOuT gUiTaRs & GuItArIsTs <-  (Read 46092 times)

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
-> tRiViAs AbOuT gUiTaRs & GuItArIsTs <-
« on: June 30, 2007, 12:36:42 AM »
post any trivias/facts about guitars and your favorite guitarist..  :-)

lemme start..

Slash was born in England, his father was white while his mom is black. After his parents divorced, her mom took him to USA where he attended Beverly Hills High School at the same time as fellow guitarist Lenny Kravitz!  :-D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: -> tRiViAs AbOuT gUiTaRs & GuItArIsTs <-
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 12:43:18 AM »
Lenny Kravitz is half-white, half-jewish. His ex-wife is Lisa Bonet (of The Cosby's fame) and he owns a reputable studio in the Bahamas that is frequently booked by groups like The Rolling Stones and Sting.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 12:49:56 AM »
nice! heheh!

Q.what does jimmy hendrix, kurt cobain and jim morrisson(dunno if he plays guitar though..) have in common?

A.they're all left-handed, all died on drug related incident and died at the age of 27!

GOD! im 26, i still have one more year and im not even famous!! LOLZ!  :lol:

Chito

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 12:50:11 AM »
Eric Clapton is actually half-Canadian. His father was a soldier from Montreal.

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 12:58:46 AM »
Jimi Hendrix could play with either hand. His father, Al Hendrix was responsible for this because he wanted Jimi to play "normally" (right handed). Jimi would always practice leftee but quickly switched hands and strummed away when his father was around.
Spread the Sound of the South!!!
facebook.com/christerisulat
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline wrathster

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:00:11 AM »
"In January 1948, Paul was injured in a near-fatal automobile accident in Oklahoma, which shattered his right arm and elbow. Doctors told Paul that there was no way for them to rebuild his elbow in a way that would let him regain movement, and that his arm would remain in whatever position they placed it in permanently. Paul then instructed the surgeons to set his arm at an angle that would allow him to cradle and pick the guitar."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul
King of Pain

Chito

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 02:26:45 AM »
Here's something about Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi

When Tony Iommi used to work in a factory of some kind, his job was to pass hunks of metal to someone who used a machine to punch holes in the metal or cut it up or something like that... One day when the other guy didn't turn up, Tony tried to use the machine and cut the ends off his fingers - he took the bits to hospital where they said they couldn't do anything for him. The possibility that he would not ever play guitar again was very real. Tony may have tried switching to playing right handed, but it wasn't working out. Then a friend of his gave him a Django Rheinhardt album. This was a gypsy guitarist who only had two fingers. This inspired Tony to go home and repair his fingers with molten plastic from an old washing-up liquid bottle, in true Blue Peter spirit. He had to do so because playing without the ends of his fingers was too painful.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 08:26:21 AM »
si phil mahilig sa skateboards

si stratman di lang mahilig sa strat...meron din syang les paul na mas madalas nyang gamitin kesa sa strat. meron din sya dati pRS na binenta....

sa akin....pero trinade ko din sa strat :-P

si rondalla rockstar.....daming strat nyan...ang boutique rondalla nya ay wireless.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 08:50:29 AM »
nice! heheh!

Q.what does jimmy hendrix, kurt cobain and jim morrisson(dunno if he plays guitar though..) have in common?

A.they're all left-handed, all died on drug related incident and died at the age of 27!

May poster ako nyan! Mga namatay at 27. Dagdag mo pa si Janis Joplin, Brian Jones, Robert Johnson and (wala sa poster to)Rico Yan. Haha

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 09:39:37 AM »
nice! heheh!

May poster ako nyan! Mga namatay at 27. Dagdag mo pa si Janis Joplin, Brian Jones, Robert Johnson and (wala sa poster to)Rico Yan. Haha

hahaaha!  :-D

Offline juan sinko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »
What if hindi namatay sina Dimebag Darrel, Randy Rhodes, at Cliff Burton. siguro mga sikat Pa rin Until now.   
JUAN SINKO UPPERS CLUB<br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako <br />Upping is not a crime

Offline orion

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 11:16:15 AM »
At the age of 16, Jimi was thrown out of school -apparently for holding the hand of a white girl in class - and he played rock'n'roll in teenage bands before voluntarily joining the army at 17.

After 14 months as a paratrooper, learning a lot about falling and flying, he suffered an injury and was discharged. He decided to enter the music field.

It's either "Less is More" or "Less is Bore"

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »
At the age of 16, Jimi was thrown out of school -apparently for holding the hand of a white girl in class - and he played rock'n'roll in teenage bands before voluntarily joining the army at 17.

After 14 months as a paratrooper, learning a lot about falling and flying, he suffered an injury and was discharged. He decided to enter the music field.

I'd like to clear this out.

Jimi's first guitar was a white Zupro Ozark, (right handed strung leftee). The first song Jimi Played from start to finish was "Tall Cool One" by the Fabulous Wailers. Jimi's First gig was in the basement of the Temple De Hirsch Sinai, a Seattle synagogue. After the first set, he got thrown out of the band for his "wild playing" His first significant band would be the Velvetones.

Years later when Jimi became famous and began mythologizing his past to gullible reporters he told a fantastic tale of how he had been "kicked out" of Garfield High by racist teachers after he'd been discovered holding hands with a white girlfriend in a study hall.

Truth of the matter is: On his junior year, it was obvious that he was not going to graduate. Despite warnings from school officials that he would be expelled if he skipped class again, Jimi failed to show up. At the end of October 1960, he was officially taken off the ranks of Garfield students. His school files showed his reason for leaving was a "work refferal", but he had no other job other than as gutar player in the band The Rocking Kings.

On May 2, 1961, Jimi was arrested for riding a stolen car, spent a day in jail for that first offense and four days later was arrested again for riding another stolen car. The Seattle PD was criticized that time for overactive prosecution of black males. Jimi faced up to five years in prison for his criminal charges. With his court date looming,  he considered joining the armed forces since prosecutors often accept a stint in the service as a ple bargain. Jimi attempted to join the Air Force, but was not accepted because he did not have the "physical capacity to endure the g-forces of an aircraft". The more likely reason was that he was a black man. His next choice was the army, and was enlisted in the 101st Airborne Division.

On May 16, 1961 he was charged with a 2 year sentence that would be suspended on the condition that Jimi join the army. He was scheduled to train on May 29, to Fort Ord, California. After months of training, he wanted to go out of the army. He couln't quit the army immediately because a prison term would await him if he went AWOL.

On April 2, 1962 he reported to the base hospital that he had a serious, intimate problem and needed to speak to the base psychiatrist. Jimi told an outrageous tale of how he had developed homosexual tendencies and began fantasizing about his bunkmates. In a move that was in all likelihood original, he was caught masturbating in the barracks. He claimed that he was in love with his squadmates. These fabricated admissions represented a desperate gambit; if they failed to get him discharged, Jimi faced being ostracized by his peers. No soldier wanted to be known as a quitter or gay in the homophobic army. On May 14 1962, Capt. John Halbert discharged Jimi off the army because of his "Homosexual Tendencies". Jimi always told a story on how on his 26th leap out of an airlplane, he broke an ankle and hurt his back. The army records do not show any records of any injury. After being dismissed in the army, he continued his pursuit of music.

So, those are the facts of how Jimi got dropped out of highschool. He did not voluntarily join the army, instead he chose to join the army to escape a prison sentence. He was also discharged off the army not because of an injury, instead he made a false claim of having homosexual tendencies, so that he would be discharged and not fight in the real war.
Spread the Sound of the South!!!
facebook.com/christerisulat
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline torturedphlip

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 12:45:21 PM »
tears in heaven ni eric clapton ay nagawa sa kadahilanang ang anak nia ay namatay dahil nasagasaan ng kotse...that was his tribute to his son..

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 01:02:22 PM »
Di ba nahulog mula sa apartment nila?

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 12:19:34 AM »
Di ba nahulog mula sa apartment nila?

honga! nahulog sa building.. heres the story behind the famous song courtesy of wikipedia! hehehe!

"Tears in Heaven" is a heartfelt ballad written and performed by Eric Clapton about the pain he felt following the 1991 death of his four-year-old son, Conor, who fell from a 53rd-story window in his mother's New York City condominium. By all accounts, the death was simply a tragic accident, and Clapton was distraught for months afterwards.

Co-written by Clapton and Will Jennings, the song was initially featured on the soundtrack to the film Rush, and it won three Grammy awards for Song of the Year, Record of the Year and Male Pop Vocal Performance in 1993. It was also included on Clapton's Grammy award-winning album, Unplugged. It is #353 on Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs.

"Eric and I were engaged to write a song for a movie called Rush. We wrote a song called 'Help Me Up' for the end of the movie... then Eric saw another place in the movie for a song and he said to me, 'I want to write a song about my boy.' Eric had the first verse of the song written, which, to me, is all the song, but he wanted me to write the rest of the verse lines and the release ('Time can bring you down, time can bend your knees...'), even though I told him that it was so personal he should write everything himself. He told me that he had admired the work I did with Steve Winwood and finally there was nothing else but to do as he requested, despite the sensitivity of the subject. This is a song so personal and so sad that it is unique in my experience of writing songs." – Will Jennings

Clapton stopped playing it in 2004, as well as the song "My Father's Eyes."

"I didn't feel the loss anymore, which is so much a part of performing those songs. I really have to connect with the feelings that were there when I wrote them. They're kind of gone and I really don't want them to come back, particularly. My life is different now. They probably just need a rest and maybe I'll introduce them for a much more detached point of view."

:-D :-D :-D

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 01:10:39 AM »
stevie ray vaughan doesn't know how to ride a horse, even though he's a texan and wears a cowboy hat.

his brother jimmie vaughan was in a band called the chessmen w/c included doyle bramhall, acclaimed songwriter partner to SRV and father to doyle bramhall II, solo artist and session guitarists to roger waters and clapton..

while he was in the chessmen he opened for the jimi hendrix experience. while he was a great fan of the experience, the chessmen opted not to play their hendrix covers in respect to the headlining act. they instead played their cream cover songs.

very impressed by jimmie vaughan's tone and control of feedback...hendrix traded his wah pedal for vaughan's vox wah pedal, plus $40. jimi also gave jimmie the jackethe was wearing that particular show in texas...which jimmie later handed down to stevie.

later on, jimmie vaughan found himself in a band called the texas storm where in the famed singer janis joplin discovered him and took her under her wing to teach vaughan the lessons of excess andthe rockstar lifestyle.

this led to an incident where texas storm first showcase in the whisky ago-go resulted in a failed attempt to get signed to a record label.......afterwards vaughan quit rock and roll, and decided to play blues exclusively.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 01:19:34 AM »
Also, Jimmie Vaughan had a cameo appearance in the 80's Jerry Lee Lewis' biopic "Great Balls of Fire" as Jerry Lee's (Dennis Quaid) backup guitarist.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 02:08:47 AM »
Eric Johnson played the chorusey clean guitar parts for "Sailin'" by Christopher Cross in the studio.  Notice it sounds like "When The Sun Meets The Sky"?

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 02:14:55 AM »
Eric Johnson played the chorusey clean guitar parts for "Sailin'" by Christopher Cross in the studio.  Notice it sounds like "When The Sun Meets The Sky"?

Yep. And so did C. Cross played the backing vox in EJ's Venus Isle. :-)

Eto naman (accdg. to Wikipedia), Eric Clapton grew up in the belief that his mother was his sister, and that his grandparents were his parents. :|
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 02:23:34 AM »
Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit is actually a jazz guitar player.

Keith Richard has quit drugs.

The measurement from 12th fret to the nut should be equal to the length from the 12th fret to the saddle of the G-string. 

Gibson sued Gotoh for making Kluson-copy machineheads but later on subcon'ed them.

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 02:27:49 AM »
David Gilmore was a commercial model before joining Pink Floyd.He filled in for Syd Barret, singer/songwriter of the band who was suffering from severe psychosis.Now that's a big shoe to fill.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 02:48:40 AM by alroyT »

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 02:45:05 AM »
Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit is actually a jazz guitar player.

Keith Richard has quit drugs.

The measurement from 12th fret to the nut should be equal to the length from the 12th fret to the saddle of the G-string. 

Gibson sued Gotoh for making Kluson-copy machineheads but later on subcon'ed them.

i didnt know that wes borland was a jazz guitar player! heheh!

Offline BlackDiamond

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 02:47:49 AM »
Dave "The Snake" Sabo and Jon Bongiovi are childhood friends.  :-D

Slash auditioned for Poison but didn't get the gig.

and

George Lynch is getting older!  :-D
This forumite is a different person:
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?action=profile;u=43394
I'm not him! HMMP!

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 03:00:57 AM »
guys alam nyo ba exact make nung gitara ni brian may? alam ko personalize nya ung hardware nun eh.. but i dont know the exact brand of the guitar..  :?