hulika

Author Topic: In your own opinion, How important is stage performance to you?  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
well as long as, musical performance wont affect it...

i just seem to notice that the guitarists moves like a tree.. and the other one moves like a twig, and it dosen't look nice... my band looks boring on stage...

Offline crouchdash

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: In your own opinion, How important is stage performance to you?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 01:13:40 AM »
IMHO Stage performance id really important, I made a thread dun sa bassplace regarding bass dance. Kasi lalo na ang mga bassist konti na lang tutubuan na ng dahon sa stage. I have a schoolmate dati who told me na during personal practice kailangan mo ng mastery of the songs na pondo nyo. Kapag time na for band rehersal dun nya naman pina practice kung ano gagawin nya sa stage. Kwento nya kung hindi mo papractisin yung wildness sa stage habang rehersal pag actual mo ginawa the performance will suffer.
If you wanna kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel..."On your knees boy!"

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 01:18:32 AM »
For me, it matters.  The music biz is part of the entertainment industry.  Of course as musicians, it's given that our musical skills should be in good form.  Performance is also about entertainment, so it's always nice to leave a lasting impression to our audience.

Personally, I still want to keep things real.  I mean, how a musician acts or behaves on stage must be natural; from the heart.  I kinda despise musicians who are so image-conscious, trying to do cute things on stage, just to be cool.  Sometimes, the theatrics and antics are too much, perhaps to the point of covering up the musical inabilities.  I hope you get what I mean...

Speaking of impressions, I always keep in mind that for every gig or performance, there's always somebody out there who will be watching us for the very first time.  That's why we should always be up to our game, 100%.  Who knows, you might inspire somebody in the audience, like a kid saying, "I want to become a great drummer like you!"  That would be a great feeling, if we get to inspire somebody in a positive way.
 8-)

Offline greysky

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 03:50:02 AM »
sobrang important yan for me!
ayoko ng "TUOD" na members
kasi nakakadala ng audience yung moves ng banda
basta dont make it in the point na muka na kyong trying hard
ibagay din sana naten  :-D
"If you can't accept losing, you can't win!"

Offline y2jae21

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 04:09:55 AM »
sa eraserheads and pupil naman walang gumagalaw, iconic parin

Offline greysky

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 04:17:06 AM »
sa eraserheads and pupil naman walang gumagalaw, iconic parin

sikat na yan eh so kahit anong gawin nila sa stage wala silang pake
kasi kilala na sila eh  :lol:
"If you can't accept losing, you can't win!"

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 08:20:09 AM »

i just seem to notice that the guitarists moves like a tree.. and the other one moves like a twig, and it dosen't look nice... my band looks boring on stage...

isipin mo na lang dreamtheater kayo bro  :-D boring din sila panoorin pero hayup pakinggan

Offline iyhan

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 10:31:41 AM »
oo nga.. hehe..  :-D

Offline franco

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 10:52:17 AM »
as long as it doesn't affect the way you play your music then it's ok. baka naman headbang ka ng headbang or talon ka ng talon while playing your instrument biglang mawala ka sa tiyempo nakaka-"pawis hiya" yun!! music comes before pa-pogi IMHO, so kung feeling mo mukha kayong poste habang tumutugtog isipin mo na lng ham yan :-D
if you can't join them, beat them!

Offline cavsdieagram

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 12:07:33 PM »
cgro it depends din sa genre or type ng music nyo...mamaya love song tinutugtog nyo tapos humeheadbang ka...ahehe :-D

kylangan sympre ang stage performance para mabuhay din ung mga audience...
basta check lang baka wala na sa tempo or iba na ung part na ginagawa mo...

hmmmm. kapag nafeel mo nnmn ung music eh, sasabayan mo nlng...

Masarap maghelicopter!!! :-D
"Drums ay buhay" -bord

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 01:25:31 PM »

isipin mo na lang dreamtheater kayo bro  :-D boring din sila panoorin pero hayup pakinggan

ngek... hehe....

but there are still some audience who still cant get enough overall performance... like were doing our best to get maintain clean playing and still they want us to give them somersaults and jack knifes during gigs.. haayy.. its hard to please the audience nowadays...

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 01:48:07 PM »
e di kuha kayo ng dancers  :-D

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 04:20:57 PM »
for me its very important..

its like your recital, mas matindi lang yung critisizm
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 04:25:45 PM »
stage and musical performances are BOTH important and a balance between the two should be aimed.

musical performance should be given vital importance - you dont obsess about it, but cmon, please make it a point to play your instrument right. thats the reason why i hate a lot of these new bands... you call them, emo or something... a lot of them have this "pretend to be angry" posturing and get up onstage spitting and throwing equipment around, while they play songs that have a maximum of 3 chords. i find those bands pretentious and inferior. they are better stage artists than they are musicians. it doesnt take skill to throw equipment around like you are kurt cobain and it doesnt make you unique either. Pete Townshend has been there before.

at the same time, i also hate these really technical bands who are so uptight and hell boring to watch. yes, yes, they play perfectly and their chops are sharp enough to cut a dimensional hole, but cmon, if i want perfect, id buy a recorded version of whatever it is they are playing. they have to at least loosen up and let the audience have fun. these bands are better locked in a studio.

of course, there are excemptions (JAZZ isnt an excemption. ive seen jaco perform, also that priest bassist and man, those guys make me wanna dance), like classical music or opera. they have their versions of stage performances which is very different from rock and pop.

as for eraserheads and pupil being iconic - cmon, pupil is iconic? ... i only went to watch an e-heads show once... and after that i just listened to their songs on the radio. its not really worth it to go and watch 4 guys just standing ... although, i believe if i were to watch them now (if they still existed), id be very busy watching buddy zabala's bass lines rather than their actual performance.

one more thing... it doesnt take big actions and crazy headbanging to have a good stage show. i watched the pearl jam acoustic set on (i think it was '94) ... they were just sitting, but it is one of the best musical performance ive seen. im not a fan of pearl jam, but i really wish i could have seen that show in real life.

its all about honesty and having fun. ironically, that is STAGE PERFORMANCE.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:28:09 PM by IncX »

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »
I agree with what Bro Drumster said. Performing artists should make an effort to project the message of their music through body language/dancing while on stage.Nevertheless, there shouldn't be any compromise between playing clean and making an impression. As stated, it should come out naturally.

I also agree with InX except on his assertion with regards to Jazz musicians. I view Jazz as music for listening. Although I was bored when I saw one of Diana Krall's performance on dvd, I still think that its acceptable for jazz musicians not to bother about making stage acts
because they focus their minds on improvisation. :-)

And by the way, I've seen one of Jaco Pastorious' performances on dvd - he was dancing like a drunken kungfu master while doing his solo - but I find his playing kinda sloppy. :|

Well, its just my opinion. :wink:

PEACE
So Be It.

Offline cymor

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 05:25:16 PM »
uhmm mga sir...

I saw this crazy stage performances by system of a down(ung old version)

Their Guitarist always run to anywhere not including outside of the stage... while performing..siya ung pinaka "baliw" haha...sorry for the term....ah! may head bangs din xa! :-D

Their Vocalist always dances...spins...and doing "air guitar" :-D

Their bassist always do headbangs...with matching haba ng balbas ang high socks pa un...

The drummer...well, not really a show off...pero lagi xang naka topless...MACHO PAPA! :mrgreen:

here...i have a sample of their performances...theyre just funny and whacky for me..yet their songs are really amazing(for me)

Needles by SOAD -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZCCMLLceM
Sugar by SOAD--->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23_CIzfrUJY
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:18:57 PM by cymor »
"No crab shall witness my downfall for I will always be victorious" - aaroncymor

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 07:38:21 PM »
For the drummer, you really can't much do anything other than beating the kit like a caveman or swaying to the groove.

pero staying in groove is another thing....meron mga ibang members na tama ang ginagawa sa rhythm, mali naman ang timing ng sayaw nila. lalo na sa pagtalon. sakit rin ito ng mga vocals. asa 3rd count biglang tatalon.
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline cavsdieagram

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 09:22:20 PM »
uhmm mga sir...

I saw this crazy stage performances by system of a down(ung old version)

Their Guitarist always run to anywhere not including outside of the stage... while performing..siya ung pinaka "baliw" haha...sorry for the term....ah! may head bangs din xa! :-D

Their Vocalist always dances...spins...and doing "air guitar" :-D

Their bassist always do headbangs...with matching haba ng balbas ang high socks pa un...

The drummer...well, not really a show off...pero lagi xang naka topless...MACHO PAPA! :mrgreen:

here...i have a sample of their performances...theyre just funny and whacky for me..yet their songs are really amazing(for me)

Needles by SOAD -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZCCMLLceM
Sugar by SOAD--->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23_CIzfrUJY

hmmmmmmmm gusto mo nang nagpupush up?takbo ng takbo?naglalagay ng bra sa ulo?naka kapa? lead guitarist ng killswitch engage si ADAM D. ahaha un ang entertainment or tlgang makulit lang sya...ahaha :-D :lol: drummer si joey jordison gusto ko maghelicopter...yeah
"Drums ay buhay" -bord

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 01:23:24 AM »
one more thing... it doesnt take big actions and crazy headbanging to have a good stage show. i watched the pearl jam acoustic set on (i think it was '94) ... they were just sitting, but it is one of the best musical performance ive seen. im not a fan of pearl jam, but i really wish i could have seen that show in real life.

I very much agree with this!

I've seen that Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged performance (in fact I have a few videos of it in my hard drive).  Yes they were sitted almost the whole time.  But you can just feel the music they were playing.  It's genuine.  It's coming from the heart.   8-)

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 11:28:39 AM »

I very much agree with this!

I've seen that Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged performance (in fact I have a few videos of it in my hard drive).  Yes they were sitted almost the whole time.  But you can just feel the music they were playing.  It's genuine.  It's coming from the heart.   8-)

aha... i never thought of that...

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 01:51:23 PM »
Yup, projecting your aura to the audience by making them feel what you play can make up for the poste style....
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline mampupunit

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 03:03:06 PM »
para saken kelangan din mag adapt.

shempre kung maingay tugtugan niyo... ok lang magwala ka as long as galeng nga sa puso at d ka nawawala sa metro.

kung mahina naman ang tugtugan dapat relax ka lang din.

minsan kase mali ang tingin sa stage performance eh. ewan ko lang.
pumikit ka na lang nang hindi mo maramdaman...

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »
Yup, projecting your aura to the audience by making them feel what you play can make up for the poste style....

and thats where BammBamm didn't get what i meant...

stage performance ISN'T LIMITED to doing that "rockstar running around the stage and headbanging like a maniac" thing... as a matter of fact, i actually find that kind of "performance" fake these days ... those kids doing those crazy things claiming they feel the music and stuff when all they wanted to achieve is shocking ppl and being "cool" in the process.

as i have said, performance is about connecting with the audience, and having fun. believe it or not, you can connect with the audience if you just look into each and everyone of their eyes while you perform.

i agree with BamBam, that when jaco is drunk, he is sloppy. and also, more often than not, i'd rather listen to jazz at home rather than go out of my way to watch it live...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:46:58 PM by IncX »

Offline sonnaqs

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 06:23:33 AM »

as for me stage movements/performance is a plus...

nkakabilib ung mga may kayang gumalaw pero nakakatugtog parin ng malinis..

well yeah it depends on the music you play syempre...

but what if u can play flawless and express the music thru movements on stage dba? mas astig yun...

that way mas madadala nyo rin ung audience, mas feel nila ang music...

and i think that's our main goal as musicians, is not really to be so concerned with technicalities, or too flashy with the moves, but to express the music we play..

that's my point of view po.. ^_^
"never let the music die down!!"
\m/ ^__^ \m/