hulika

Author Topic: WHAT IF UR SONG IS USED IN A TV COMMERCIAL?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline peminista

WHAT IF UR SONG IS USED IN A TV COMMERCIAL?
« on: February 24, 2005, 06:20:24 PM »
hey guys, i need ur opinion about this..
what if a major brand wants to use one of ur existing songs for their TV commercial and asks you to perform the song in radio tours etc... its like they're gonna make ur song the trademark song of that product..(parang ung sa coke commercial)..then you'll be asked also to promote the song sa TV and events..how much will you charge considering that you are an unsigned or indie artist?
"Di bale nang nabitin, kesa naman nagsawa"

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 06:23:46 PM »
ask for however much you think it's worth to you..

since you're unsigned, the record company has no cut. and since you're the songwriter, you get all the royalties..

this can be tricky, i would suggest getting a lawyer to help you read thru all the fine print before you sign anything.

but yeah MILK THEM FOR ALL THEY'VE GOT!

good luck! ;)

Offline julianesmiles

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 01:24:29 AM »
well, if you happen to know some known artists who's songs were put into this kind of sorts, i suggest you ask them too. so you'll have an idea how much will that be. if you're in it for the money , yeah you ask them a lot specisally if they wanna put like a signature song or something. But if you're an artist who has enough money then don't sell your song. it's holy.
freedom is just within you...........

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: WHAT IF UR SONG IS USED IN A TV COMMERCIAL?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 01:49:06 AM »
Quote from: peminista
what if a major brand wants to use one of ur existing songs for their TV commercial and asks you to perform the song in radio tours etc... its like they're gonna make ur song the trademark song of that product..(parang ung sa coke commercial)..then you'll be asked also to promote the song sa TV and events..how much will you charge considering that you are an unsigned or indie artist?

This could be really big bucks or at least more than you ever made doing gigs :) I don't suggest that you negotiate this with the ad agency alone. Get yourself a good manager or lawyer. Otherwise you are ripe pickings for getting ripped off.