hulika

Poll

Let's go back in time. Who do you think is the most over rated gutiarist up until now?

Slash
6 (42.9%)
Eric Clapton
2 (14.3%)
Jimi Hendrix
4 (28.6%)
SRV
2 (14.3%)
Jeff Beck
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Overrated "Legendary" Guitarists  (Read 28723 times)

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
Overrated "Legendary" Guitarists
« on: August 05, 2007, 03:31:12 AM »
Of all the "legendary" guitarists I've heard I think Carlos Santana is the most overrated. Sure he plays Spanish-flavored rock guitar but other than that there's not much you can hear, & most of the time his solos become long, drawn-out & boring. I know I'll draw flak from the Santana fans here, but I guess his playing style just isn't for me.

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Overrated "Legendary" Guitarists
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 05:58:39 AM »
music is highly opinionated.....you might not like his music but others might....and what u might like...others might not like.......... :-)

*EDITED: nag sorry na nga po ako sa baba eh patuloy parin kayo...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:35:29 AM by andrew_O_O »

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 06:08:18 AM »
keep opinions to yourself nalang

if we did that, then all of us would be quiet. *lol

+1 on santana, though i've never really dug him up, he's way too old for me. hehe

Offline toybitz

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 06:11:44 AM »
+ 2....

I wonder if he ever works on his rhythm guitar playing...

its like he's always waiting for his solo spot or doing short runs and sundots while the vox is singing...

I love his tone and guitar though.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 06:20:00 AM »

+1 on santana, though i've never really dug him up, he's way too old for me. hehe
di naman sa bigsabihin ko na wag mag opinions....wrong choice of words...parang pnaparating ko dapat is parang dont put musicians down bcuz of their music.....may mga magagalng naman na di msyado nakikita sa performances ang buong kagalingan dba?

good opinions nalang......nevertheless magaling rin naman sya dba....

*EDITED: sorry na po....disregard nyo nlang po post ko....di ko malagay sa words ung snasabi ko
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:37:37 AM by andrew_O_O »

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 06:44:34 AM »
Of all the "legendary" guitarists I've heard I think Carlos Santana is the most overrated. Sure he plays Spanish-flavored rock guitar but other than that there's not much you can hear, & most of the time his solos become long, drawn-out & boring. I know I'll draw flak from the Santana fans here, but I guess his playing style just isn't for me.

And what is the basis for someone being over-rated?  When his/her playing style is not what you dig?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 07:31:13 AM »
music is highly opinionated.....you might not like his music but others might....and what u might like...others might not like......keep opinions to yourself nalang.... :-)

E bakit pa tayo nag-forum? Labo.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »

di naman sa bigsabihin ko na wag mag opinions....wrong choice of words...parang pnaparating ko dapat is parang dont put musicians down bcuz of their music.....may mga magagalng naman na di msyado nakikita sa performances ang buong kagalingan dba?

good opinions nalang......nevertheless magaling rin naman sya dba...

By speaking out, we're not necessarily putting people down.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 07:36:08 AM »

And what is the basis for someone being over-rated?  When his/her playing style is not what you dig?

Not necessarily. I, for one, think that Carlos Santana's recent releases have not been up to par with what made him legendary in the first place. His playing now doesn't match the aggression and the sincerity that his playing before did. The fact that people still ascribe his former (lost, perhaps?) qualities to his current playing seems to me, an act of over-rating someone.

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 08:30:45 AM »
its John McLaughlin for me. i don't know but i just can't get his playing.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 09:05:17 AM »

Not necessarily. I, for one, think that Carlos Santana's recent releases have not been up to par with what made him legendary in the first place. His playing now doesn't match the aggression and the sincerity that his playing before did. The fact that people still ascribe his former (lost, perhaps?) qualities to his current playing seems to me, an act of over-rating someone.

+1

I'd tell people who feel that Carlos Santana is over-rated and plays "Spanish-flavored rock guitar" that they have yet to discover the REAL Carlos Santana.  These days he's playing in more of a pop vein.  But if you'd see him play Soul Sacrifice on a good day (like I did a few years back), I'm sure it'd still feel like church -- which is how he likes it.

But that's just me.   :-D

For me, maraming over-rated sa mga post-EVH/Satriani/Vai/Gilbert guitarists.  Or, yun na nga, I haven't really heard their good stuff.

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 09:16:42 AM »
Oo nga you guys should listen to old Santana albums... ako din dati akala ko ganun ganun lang sha pero nung narinig ko yung mga lumang albums nya na blown away ako grabe ang galing pala...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 09:29:57 AM »

+1

I'd tell people who feel that Carlos Santana is over-rated and plays "Spanish-flavored rock guitar" that they have yet to discover the REAL Carlos Santana.  These days he's playing in more of a pop vein.  But if you'd see him play Soul Sacrifice on a good day (like I did a few years back), I'm sure it'd still feel like church -- which is how he likes it.

For me, maraming over-rated sa mga post-EVH/Satriani/Vai/Gilbert guitarists.  Or, yun na nga, I haven't really heard their good stuff.

Diba? My most favorite Santana moment was his and his band's performance at Woodstock in 69. Sure, sure I only got to watch it on DVD but man, the attitude of his playing grabs me by the neck and whirls me around the room. I personally look for that aspect in a guitar player, and take note, it doesn't necessarily imply that he plays rock and roll.

Yeah, true. Sometimes he overdoes the speed thing. I still like the Mahavishnu Orchestra, though.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 09:48:23 AM »
Oo nga you guys should listen to old Santana albums... ako din dati akala ko ganun ganun lang sha pero nung narinig ko yung mga lumang albums nya na blown away ako grabe ang galing pala...

Yeah.  For me a REALLY REALLY GOOD player makes me forget about their instrument and their technique. They transcend being analyzed that way.  I just hear their emotion, story or message in the notes/music.  Santana, like, Blind Willie Johnson, Django, Bird, Coltrane, Evans, Powell, Trucks, and many gospel singers etc. give me that feeling. 

Offline oloc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 09:50:46 AM »

so what's santana's rating and where's that "RATING" list by the way?...

how can you say someone is over/under/just rated if there's no existing official rating?

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 09:53:58 AM »

John Mcluaghlin was advanced for his time... medyo cerebral na player kc sha kaya maraming d maka gets... not much blues in his playing. but if you really listen to him you can get some really interesting ideas from him... I really dig his playing kahit na mas inclined ako sa mga blues based na players natutunaw parin ako pag nakikinig ng inner mounting flame...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 10:54:02 AM »

+1

Diba? My most favorite Santana moment was his and his band's performance at Woodstock in 69. Sure, sure I only got to watch it on DVD but man, the attitude of his playing grabs me by the neck and whirls me around the room. I personally look for that aspect in a guitar player, and take note, it doesn't necessarily imply that he plays rock and roll.

Santana said once that he was on a pretty bad/weird LSD trip during that gig.  He said he actually thought his guitar's neck was a snake and he was wranglig with its neck!  Yikes! 

Well, some of the best music ever played/composed were of people dealing with their demons so...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 11:01:50 AM »

so what's santana's rating and where's that "RATING" list by the way?...

how can you say someone is over/under/just rated if there's no existing official rating?

hey man, for the sake of conversation lang naman to lahat. it's not an exact science.  :-)

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 11:59:33 AM »
mr. troll thread starter, i bet you havent heard of Love Devotion Surrender by Santana and McLaughlin

seriously, kid's nowadays, just theyve heard one or two songs(prolly recent flops) of an artist, they think they know and can generalize an artist with one word.

Offline oloc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 12:12:02 PM »

hey man, for the sake of conversation lang naman to lahat. it's not an exact science.  :-)

yeah ofcourse its not an exact science, im just curious if all these "over/under rated" threads have atleast the same basis. what if 1 guy says santana is underrated because the info he has tells him that santana is at the bottom of the rating list? and then another guy will come and say santana is overrated because the info he has says that santana is on top of the rating list? and then another will come and say santa is fairly rated because the "rating" he knows says that santana is somewhere in the middle... will the conversation be so healthy and beneficial to anyone?  or am i the only one who's not aware of some sort of 'accepted' rating?  :oops:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 12:31:58 PM »

yeah ofcourse its not an exact science, im just curious if all these "over/under rated" threads have atleast the same basis. what if 1 guy says santana is underrated because the info he has tells him that santana is at the bottom of the rating list? and then another guy will come and say santana is overrated because the info he has says that santana is on top of the rating list? and then another will come and say santa is fairly rated because the "rating" he knows says that santana is somewhere in the middle... will the conversation be so healthy and beneficial to anyone?  or am i the only one who's not aware of some sort of 'accepted' rating?  :oops:

awww... too bad you don't find value in this thread. 

i think some of us who bothered to post are trying to help by "correcting" possible misinformation or misconceptions about the artist (eg, Santana didn't just play "Spanish-flavored rock guitar") and open his ears to other ways to appreciate the artist. then maybe he'd have better overall appreciation for the artist. whether he changes his rating or not is not important.  it's not so much what each person's rating is than why he thinks they deserve that rating. 

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 02:03:10 PM »

awww... too bad you don't find value in this thread. 

i think some of us who bothered to post are trying to help by "correcting" possible misinformation or misconceptions about the artist (eg, Santana didn't just play "Spanish-flavored rock guitar") and open his ears to other ways to appreciate the artist. then maybe he'd have better overall appreciation for the artist. whether he changes his rating or not is not important.  it's not so much what each person's rating is than why he thinks they deserve that rating. 

+1

Plus, it's a given that we're actually talking about "perceived ratings" here, not some survey that  Guitar World or Guitar Player could have come up with.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 03:19:30 PM »

I was being sarcastic.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 03:41:51 PM »
Good Charlotte ?  :lol:

Offline buliwyf

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 03:59:20 PM »
aaaa! tama ba tong mga nababasa ko? John Mac and Carlos Santana overrated?

baka Smooth lang narinig nyo kay Santana? hehe.

Pero John Mac?! Overrated? C'mon :) Tell that to guys like Mattias Eklundh, S.Henderson, bass players like Jonas Hellborg. Heck, even Jeff Beck or Miles Davis. One of Miles' songs in Bitches Brew album is titled "John Mclaughlin." If Miles was still alive, I doubt he'll entitle a song "John Mayer"  :roll:

Sabagay, mejo mental music nila, not for everybody.