hulika

Author Topic: MAX RUFO's Custom Guitars & Basses w/ pics!  (Read 1242890 times)

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: MAX RUFO's Custom Guitars & Basses w/ pics!
« Reply #1250 on: May 04, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
I thought that Arie stayed away from custom building guitars not because he "can't" but just prefers to repair and restore?  I think Alex stated that in a post a few months back.

Great point on the diversity.  From what I've read/seen here in Philmusic:

Arie - repair, restoration, go to him with your high-end stuff
Jon - Pinoy "premium" custom-builder
Max - Value-priced custom-builder
Jun - not really sure what he does... I saw the stuff on his website and can't figure out if he has a niche of sorts

I'm just glad that there are more builders now.  Back when I was still in Manila, si Mang Rudy lang ang kilala ko.  He built me a guitar that I really liked.  I was amused that he used auto paint for the finish.  Hinabol pa ako ng aso sa may kanila when I came to pick it up.  He didn't know how to install EMGs though.  I told him that he needed to create a cavity for the battery and he asked why!  Nice guy though.  Medyo madalas nga lang na lasing.

Yes I agree Arie is the go to guy for restoration of vintage instruments yun talaga ang forte nya... Arie once made me a neck years ago and I was also around when he built a friend of mine (Soc) a semi acoustic bass guitar ala fodera style... Arie is hesitant to build custom guitars kc alam nya na may masasabi at masasabi parin ang mga tao sa sound ng guitara dahil wala talagang guarantee na magiging maganda yung tunog...

I also agree with the statement that not all luthiers are equal...

Do we really have to say that Max is not at par with the others?

This thread was started with the intention of promoting Mang Max's workshop, why does this person have to say negative things about him when this person have not experienced Max's service first hand?

Lateralis was trying to help Max out by starting this thread much like the way we were trying to help Jon before...

I havent tried out Max's service and have no plans to yet but I would encourage the others to go try out which luthier can satisfy thier needs best...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1251 on: May 04, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »
Its siimple.  STOP MAKING CLAIMS THAT ALL LOCAL LUTHIERS ARE EQUAL.  I do not agree to your claim.  Kayo ang crab mentality not I. 

YOU DON"T CALL DISCRIMINATING SOMEBODY"S WORK AS CRAB-MENTALITY?  What do you call this then?:
"Nope some are way way better than others." Came from you.

You don't agree pala e, WHY DO YOU KEEP POSTING HERE?
To promote YOUR high end gear? GET PULP OR FHM TO RUN A PAID ADVERTISEMENT THEN!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 08:28:38 PM by lateralis »

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1252 on: May 04, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »
So are we talking about skill or Max's Guitars?  Teka muna... baka gusto mo tanungin ko kay Robben Ford kung gagamitin niya gitara ni Mang Max.

No need to call Robben Ford, IKAW bida dito remember?

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1253 on: May 04, 2008, 08:46:35 PM »

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1254 on: May 04, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »
SINO ANG SABI MONG LOCAL LUTHIER ANG KA EQUAL NIYA? IKAW NAG CLAIM. IKAW MAGSABI

Did I say local luthiers are all equal IN ALL ASPECT?

Problem w/ you is, if you don't like what I posted, you ask for a claim W/O THINKING what I really wanted to say. YOU'RE MIND IS FOCUSED ON JUST ONE THING! THAT'S CLOSE-MINDEDNESS!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 09:58:08 PM by lateralis »

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1255 on: May 04, 2008, 09:34:14 PM »
Do we really have to say that Max is not at par with the others?

Agree.  I prefer to think that each builder has his own area of expertise driven by choice and/or stage in his evolution as a builder.  Everyone's cool from my perspective.  It's just like the Zendrive clone comparisons.  I don't care if the clones are close, uber close, uber-uber close to the ZD.  If they sound good, then they're good and should be valued for what they have to offer and it doesn't matter whether or not they're at par with the original.

Although ironically, while I believe that it's wrong to say that he's "not at par" with others, saying that "he's at par" with others is not entirely right as well.  The general statements are what's bugging you-know-who.

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1256 on: May 04, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »
Agree.  I prefer to think that each builder has his own area of expertise driven by choice and/or stage in his evolution as a builder.  Everyone's cool from my perspective.  It's just like the Zendrive clone comparisons.  I don't care if the clones are close, uber close, uber-uber close to the ZD.  If they sound good, then they're good and should be valued for what they have to offer and it doesn't matter whether or not they're at par with the original.

Although ironically, while I believe that it's wrong to say that he's "not at par" with others, saying that "he's at par" with others is not entirely right as well.  The general statements are what's bugging you-know-who.

Hahahaha Lord Voldemort!!!

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1257 on: May 04, 2008, 10:03:06 PM »

Very well said bro.

Problem is,  Firemodel ALWAYS has a problem w/ anything w/ regards to Max's guitars.

Crab-mentality DOES exists.

Offline rad_12

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1258 on: May 04, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »
chill lang sir lateralis. nakita ko nga yung gitara niya sa video,IMHO hindi naman kelangang magandang-maganda gitara mo kung branded yan. pero kung custom kahit mura pero yung craftmanship naman eh panalo ka san ka pa..ayaw mo ba nun may local luthiers na dito sa pinas with quality products.

"maganda nga di mo naman mapalabas yung gusto mong tunog so hindi ka rin masaya"

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1259 on: May 04, 2008, 10:38:12 PM »
Hahahaha Lord Voldemort!!!

He-who-must-not-be-named!   :-D

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1260 on: May 04, 2008, 11:06:48 PM »
chill lang sir lateralis. nakita ko nga yung gitara niya sa video,IMHO hindi naman kelangang magandang-maganda gitara mo kung branded yan. pero kung custom kahit mura pero yung craftmanship naman eh panalo ka san ka pa..ayaw mo ba nun may local luthiers na dito sa pinas with quality products.

"maganda nga di mo naman mapalabas yung gusto mong tunog so hindi ka rin masaya"

I bet Firemodel wouldn't be happy if Max gets known the world over.

Dito pa nga lang sa forum he (Firemodel) is already pulling him (Max) down.

CRAB-MENTALITY EXISTS.

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1261 on: May 04, 2008, 11:26:20 PM »
He-who-must-not-be-named!   :-D

Who? LORD Firemodel? Hahaha!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:42:29 AM by lateralis »

Offline rad_12

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1262 on: May 04, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
change topic tayo sir, tanong ko lang kasi by june or last week of may papagawa na ako kay mang max ng gitara kung halimbawa(sample lang) yung 15k ko may sukli pa ? baka kasi alangan na kung ganun lang budget ko bibili pa kasi ako ng amp. sample lang para at least my idea na ako first time papagawa kasi sa kanya.  :lol:

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1263 on: May 04, 2008, 11:37:45 PM »
its the wall street who defines what is overpriced. weheheh. It depends on the prime rate, which is eveluated every 22nd of the month. Thus your APR is 9.99% plus the prime rate but in no event will be less than 13.99%

lol

wamu?  :lol:

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1264 on: May 04, 2008, 11:39:09 PM »
change topic tayo sir, tanong ko lang kasi by june or last week of may papagawa na ako kay mang max ng gitara kung halimbawa(sample lang) yung 15k ko may sukli pa ? baka kasi alangan na kung ganun lang budget ko bibili pa kasi ako ng amp. sample lang para at least my idea na ako first time papagawa kasi sa kanya.  :lol:

I'm certain there is. Just ask for a discount bro. Very considerate si mang Max.

Offline rad_12

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1265 on: May 04, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »
thank you sir. post ko dito pag nakapaggawa na ako.  :-)

Offline rfe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1266 on: May 05, 2008, 12:08:04 AM »
All local luthiers are great... it's just sad to know that there are fellow local musicians pulling them down.

when you look it up in a thesaurus, the word great is not synonymous with the word equal.  i think that sir lateralis made that statement as a response to a forumite's not-so-good comment on an unnamed luthier's works in an effort to avoid any luthier bashing in this thread.  it's just sad that this statement was interpreted by other people negatively.

i agree that not all local luthiers are equal and some are, indeed, better than others, but i believe that all luthiers are great, and mang max is great in his own right.  he may not be the most experienced or skilled local luthier out there, but he still won the heart of many musicians because of his attitude towards his work and his customers.  he is a very humble person who is very passionate about his craft, and he admits that he still has so much to learn.  he may not be at par with the others, but someday i believe that he will be on top with the best of them.

peace!

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1267 on: May 05, 2008, 12:36:05 AM »
Does he use polyurethane or just the "regular" paint?

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1268 on: May 05, 2008, 01:44:03 AM »
when you look it up in a thesaurus, the word great is not synonymous with the word equal.  i think that sir lateralis made that statement as a response to a forumite's not-so-good comment on an unnamed luthier's works in an effort to avoid any luthier bashing in this thread.  it's just sad that this statement was interpreted by other people negatively.

i agree that not all local luthiers are equal and some are, indeed, better than others, but i believe that all luthiers are great, and mang max is great in his own right.  he may not be the most experienced or skilled local luthier out there, but he still won the heart of many musicians because of his attitude towards his work and his customers.  he is a very humble person who is very passionate about his craft, and he admits that he still has so much to learn.  he may not be at par with the others, but someday i believe that he will be on top with the best of them.

peace!

You hit it bro!

Too bad Firemodel DOESN'T understand what that means.

He's ALWAYS AGAINST MAX'S Work.

Offline markLAKANDULA

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1269 on: May 05, 2008, 03:49:52 AM »
hirap pag makitid...di maka intindi...PARE,kung di mo trip ung gawa ni MangMax...wag ka na lang magpost at manggulo sa thread na toh..parang pagkain lang yan eh..kanya kanyang taste yan... :-)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1270 on: May 05, 2008, 07:19:14 AM »
I bet Firemodel wouldn't be happy if Max gets known the world over.

Dito pa nga lang sa forum he (Firemodel) is already pulling him (Max) down.

CRAB-MENTALITY EXISTS.

As I already said before, I think Mang Max's Work now is even better than what was Mang Rudy's before.  I still think that based on the one model I have tried, it is great value for money. 

My intent is NOT to put down mang max but to give another opinion.  In terms of workmanship I have seen better from Ibanez Indonesia -- available at Audiophile, and Even Yamaha's AIR which is also made in Indonesia -- available at Perfect Pitch.  But thats just the workmanship portion.

But, at Mang Max's price point, its hard to beat the custom options available.  I do NOT think all local luthiers are great. (In such a grammatical context, you are putting them all on the same level.)  For example, if Mang Max's work was available in the time of Mang Rudy, I would not have gone to Mang Rudy and chosen Max's work even if Max would price higher than Rudy.

There is no crab mentality at work. 

PRSman,

The only reason that I am keen on general statements is because for me, and thats just me, I have seen better work than the hype but for the price -- its ok. 

Offline markLAKANDULA

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1271 on: May 05, 2008, 07:23:13 AM »
yap...its you,NOT us... :-D

kaya nga gusto ng mga tao dito custom eh...ayaw nila IBANEZ eeeeeeeeee.......

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1272 on: May 05, 2008, 08:07:14 AM »
just a little digression hehe.

what can you do with less than $200?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1273 on: May 05, 2008, 08:27:01 AM »
just a little digression hehe.

what can you do with less than $200?

you have to take 2 things into consideration: eddie didn't make the guitar parts from scratch, they were "B" parts. in this day and age, you would be hard pressed to build a guitar for less than 200 bucks because the body blank alone is gonna be pricier than they were in the 70s. maybe in the Philippines you could build something like it for less than what you would in the US but it just ain't feasible for someone to fly halfway around the world to prove a point now, wouldn't it?

IMO, i am surprised that this thread and all the talk about this Rufo guy is still going strong. i am curious - why do people care so much about what firemodel thinks? if you paid a certain price for Rufo's guitars, why do you give a d@mn about what other people say if you are happy with your purchase? seriously. either these people are looking for some kind of subconscious affirmation for their purchase OR they are just looking to initiate some sh#t which will most likely turn into a cyclical argument. eitherway, both intentions do not serve any constructive musical purpose so why keep it going? i propose to lock this thread because it is just about as annoying as a lingering fart that doesn't seem to want to go away.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline deadlifted

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1274 on: May 05, 2008, 09:29:11 AM »
Does he use polyurethane or just the "regular" paint?

balikan kita, tanong ko lang si mang max. :-)
proud owner of Max Rufo custom guitars. call (02) 4427908