hulika

Author Topic: "IT SUCKS" vs. "I DON'T LIKE IT"  (Read 7671 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
"IT SUCKS" vs. "I DON'T LIKE IT"
« on: August 14, 2007, 12:52:05 PM »
When is it right to say either?

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Re: "IT SUCKS" vs. "I DON'T LIKE IT"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:57:44 PM »
It's highly subjective, man. As for me, I'll say that a piece of equipment sucks when, according to my ears, I don't find it useable and it cannot be used by other people to create decent sounds. I'll say that I don't like it if it generally sounds good but doesn't perfectly fit my requirements.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 01:12:01 PM »
It's highly subjective, man. As for me, I'll say that a piece of equipment sucks when, according to my ears, I don't find it useable and it cannot be used by other people to create decent sounds. I'll say that I don't like it if it generally sounds good but doesn't perfectly fit my requirements.
korectamundo.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 02:13:52 PM »
denio metal rocker = "IT SUCKS"
behringer ultra metal = "I DON'T LIKE IT"

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 02:28:54 PM »
mehng, thats too complicated. its easier to say "it sucks because i dont like it." :lol:

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 02:44:27 PM »
Rather, "I don't like it because it sucks"

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »
a vacuum cleaner - "It sucks!"
brussel sprouts - "I don't like it."

[/joke]

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:00:45 PM »

[/joke]

Jenna Jameson =  she can really suck
   Gay Guys...... me don't likey
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:19 PM »

[/joke]

ayus :-D u made my day

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »
It sucks = most people say this pag ayaw yung tunog. Pero tone is very very subjective, for some: eric johnson's tone is reverb wash and larry carlton's is a wussy jazz rock tone while Steve vai's is oversaturated with gain. Pero if it really sounds like nothing but noise or doesn't even make a damn sound, it probably sucks. But still, it's very objective.

I don't like it = you can't find a use for it, or you just don't like how it sounds for you. It has its use, but none are with you

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
I can't really say what gear really sucks because I haven't really tried the gear that's supposed to be really good. But I do know when I like something or not.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 08:53:21 PM »

:lol:
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 10:11:39 PM »

[/joke]

hahahahahaha!!!  :lol: :lol:

jakobspiral

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »
This has been a big issue for me even since I was a kid.

I still hate the fact that humans would get offended by criticism. It's too tiring to actually have to find a polite way to voice my opinion. Usually I just keep my opinions to myself because I'm too lazy to have to add, "in my humble opinion", or "for me", or "i don't like", or any other phrase to my sentences just to be polite.

I mean, both "it sucks" and "i don't like it" mean exactly the same thing when understood in the context that it is a subjective opinion, relative to the speaker and can never be used objectively since opinions are relative and unmeasurable.

I hate it that most humans actually take an unmeasurable subjective opinion as something objective.

Why waste time having to add phrases like "in my humble opinion", or "for me", or "i don't like", or any other phrase when it's already a given that opinions are always subjective?

So if opinions are always subjective, why get angry when someone says, "you suck"?

Or, "digital sucks and amps are better"?

Or, "Christianity sucks"?

Or, etc.

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 03:25:25 AM »
there is a fine line between the two. if you are going to look at it in a general perspective, yes, they would mean the same.

although theyre both used to negate things, they do differ in the sense that:

a) When you say "I dont like it" it doesnt mean "it sucks".
e.g.  it (a peice of equipment) may have excellent qualities but it just doesnt seem to fit your taste.

b) "It sucks" means it doesnt do what its supposed to.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 04:36:45 AM »
...Why waste time having to add phrases like "in my humble opinion", or "for me", or "i don't like", or any other phrase when it's already a given that opinions are always subjective?
It is not alway easy to determine whether something communicated in writing is factual or just an opinion. The lack of audio visual cues (tone of voice, gestures, etc.) or familiarity with the intended audiences, makes it necessary for the writer to implement other methods of making their message clear. One of the ways a writer can avoid being misinterpreted is to indicate that an opinion is just that, an opinion.

So if opinions are always subjective, why get angry when someone says, "you suck"?
Such negative comments given to disparage or otherwise degrade another human being will no doubt be received with equal negativity, if not hostility. If someone put you down, would you give them a hug and thank them with sincere gratitude? Or would you feel more compelled to stand up for yourself?

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 08:28:47 AM »
...Why waste time having to add phrases like "in my humble opinion", or "for me", or "i don't like", or any other phrase when it's already a given that opinions are always subjective?
It is not alway easy to determine whether something communicated in writing is factual or just an opinion. The lack of audio visual cues (tone of voice, gestures, etc.) or familiarity with the intended audiences, makes it necessary for the writer to implement other methods of making their message clear. One of the ways a writer can avoid being misinterpreted is to indicate that an opinion is just that, an opinion.  Tumpak!

stupid question...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 08:35:54 AM »
I remember one time, a very gorgeous student approached me and asked "sir, is it possible to fail your subject ? ".

I said "I give you all the chances to pass my course, but it is still possible to fail if you truly, royally, SUCK.

She said "Sir....I suck"

WHOAh!

Good for you ! See you next sem !

Ay...OT pala hahaha.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:32 AM »
I remember one time, a very gorgeous student approached me and asked "sir, is it possible to fail your subject ? ".

I said "I give you all the chances to pass my course, but it is still possible to fail if you truly, royally, SUCK.

She said "Sir....I suck"

WHOAh!

Good for you ! See you next sem !

Ay...OT pala hahaha.

BUGOK! hahaha... :-D

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 08:50:26 AM »

[/joke]

jenna actually likes to suck.....i would like it if she sucked me
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 09:05:16 AM »
i think we all suck kasi we read this thread  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

jakobspiral

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 09:05:35 AM »
Quote from: ubersam
Such negative comments given to disparage or otherwise degrade another human being will no doubt be received with equal negativity, if not hostility. If someone put you down, would you give them a hug and thank them with sincere gratitude? Or would you feel more compelled to stand up for yourself?

If someone put me down, I'd simply ask why.

If they can give a smart answer, that would actually benefit me by adding to my knowledge. I'd love to hear Shinji Tanaka tell me that my guitar tone sucks. Then if he's kind enough to tell me why, then I would learn something I could've never found out on my own. He has golden ears, you know.

If they can't give me a smart answer, then I would deem them stupid and therefore their opinions are unworthy of my ears and time.

Either way, I win. So why get angry?

Quote from: bluenote
stupid question...

Why? :wink:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 09:35:53 AM »
Hey guys, please lessen the double-meaning "suck" talk. Let's keep it wholesome :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 09:40:03 AM »
This has been a big issue for me even since I was a kid.

I still hate the fact that humans would get offended by criticism. It's too tiring to actually have to find a polite way to voice my opinion. Usually I just keep my opinions to myself because I'm too lazy to have to add, "in my humble opinion", or "for me", or "i don't like", or any other phrase to my sentences just to be polite.

I mean, both "it sucks" and "i don't like it" mean exactly the same thing when understood in the context that it is a subjective opinion, relative to the speaker and can never be used objectively since opinions are relative and unmeasurable.

I hate it that most humans actually take an unmeasurable subjective opinion as something objective.

Why waste time having to add phrases like "in my humble opinion", or "for me", or "i don't like", or any other phrase when it's already a given that opinions are always subjective?

Or, "digital sucks and amps are better"?

Or, "Christianity sucks"?

Or, etc.

i dont think it's a waste of time to find better ways of stating one's opinion.  constructive criticism is most effective when communicated politely.  "it sucks" can probably be said among close friends without anyone taking offense because intentions and sincerity are well established (case to case basis pa rin, tread with care).  trust is key.  african americans address eachother using  the word "nigger" or "nigga"  and they do not take offense in that.  however, a caucasian will probably be summarily beaten to death doing the same thing.

we're not all close friends in a virtual community such as philmusic.  we don't know eachother's quirks, strengths, weaknesses etc. a mature individual with a well developed social and emotional intelligence  would probably not incite a lot of negative reactions from his/her statements.    

ubersam puts it quite nicely :)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 09:51:15 AM »
 :-D jakobspiral, i don't think you'd hear mr. tanaka use the words "you suck" (that's just my opinion,  :wink:).  he is one of the most corteous guys i know, and would probably bypass the whole "you suck" stage, ask you if you wanted him to help you find useful tones, and start twiddling with the POD or amp with your permission ;) may libre pang smile  :mrgreen:
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744