hulika

Author Topic: Invest in Cymbals or new kit?  (Read 4729 times)

Offline bassman88

Invest in Cymbals or new kit?
« on: September 16, 2007, 01:01:05 AM »
I have an old pearl target series with solar cymbals, ano kaya magandang ipanginvest? A new drum kit na maganda or palitan ko nalang lahat ng cymbals ko ng high end?

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Re: Invest in Cymbals or new kit?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 01:33:47 AM »
I was in a similar situation as this and this is what I thought about:

If you went with a new kit, you'll still be stuck with cymbals you don't want and eventually spending more since you bought the kit plus still needing better cymbals. Your return of investment on this route will take longer and a bigger bite on your pocket.

On the other hand if you went with better cymbals and adding a bit of upgrades like better heads and maybe some additional hardware to your current kit, you would appreciate the investment sooner. If eventually on the long run you muster funds and decide to spend on a new kit or you kit breaks down, you do have the option.

So to summate the cymbals was my call on this one. :wink:
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline bassman88

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:36:15 AM »
Thanks Akira, but iniisip ko rin, diba high end drum kits increase in value as time passes, so baka maging mas mahal na ung gus2 kong bilhin na kit in the near future? What are your comments on the pearl target series, mejo parang nabibitin kasi ako sa tunog niya.

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
..high end drum kits increase in value as time passes, so baka maging mas mahal na ung gus2 kong bilhin na kit in the near future?

I would have to disagree. I do not suggest you look at drums as artifacts that ages through time unless you intend to keep them in a glass jar and not actually use them. Drums are musical instruments that is probably one of the most rugged instruments out there since they are intended to be hit. They get scratched and exposed to different elements that are unavoidable thus maintaining a mint set is quite improbable.

Re. your current kit, maybe a new set of heads will bring new life to it. What are you currently using? What kind of genre do you play?

Offline stiknstone

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 10:21:48 AM »
I would prefer a Good High End cymbals..Bacause you can bring your cymbals @ gigs anytime if it needed.. in my experience most Cymbals in Bars are broken and some are missing..just my opinion..But its your Choice pa rin :-D

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »
Sabi mo nga, naka pearl target series ka na, and pearl has a hi-rep na long lasting talaga ang shell nya. you can't ask for more. Kaya i would suggest, cymbals na lang and kung may matira, mag-invest ka na rin sa heads just like akira said. Pwede ka siguro magpalit ng kit kung ang kit mo eh yung old school na mga fernando, lazer tsaka mitello na manipis ang shell. pero kung pearl or other branded, pang matagalan mga yan.
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline bassman88

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »
I'm using a pearl target series 12", 13", and 16" toms. 14" snare. Yeah, I'll do that, cymbals nalang talaga. I play funk rock and stuff, di ako professional like you guys haha! pero yun, yeah, a new set of heads nalang, kasi i wanted a 8" and a 10" tom sana kaya i was thinking of an upgrade, hirap maghanap ng nagbebenta ng iisang tom lang usually set benta nila.

Offline Schizophrenia

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Good option bro. For me mas mahalaga talaga mag invest on high end cymbals, kasi if you have low end you cannot do anything para mapaganda pa tunog or quality , meaning di mo sila pwede itono hehe. Sa drums, you can do (at least) something to make a good sounding drums by replacing your drum heads with a high end heads and tune them properly, besides these are also the "most abused" part of your set (i'm talking about the heads and cymbals) :)

Offline bassman88

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 05:47:33 PM »
In that case, uhm... Ano yung pinakapreferable hi-hats and crash for recording? I'm thinking A custom mastersound hi-hats vs. K custom session. Tapos for crash 16" crash naman basically either A custom or K custom dark crash. Pahingi naman ng opinion niyo, basically ang tugtugan ala incubus at redhot hehe..

And another question, gumaganda ba tunog ng cymbals over time? or pumapangit? hahaha newbie here, sorry! :P

Offline Schizophrenia

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 06:14:40 PM »
basically dipende po yan sa sound na hinahanap nyo, kung tunog red hot or incubus, you can check out their setup (Jose of incubus or Chad for RHCP) sa site ng sabian.

A's are brighter and more versatile than K's. mas maganda po siguro kung matry nyo yung hihats/crash mismo para makita nyo difference. Mahirap talaga mamili ng cymbals sa dami ng options.  :-D Sa mga websites po ng cymbals meron sample sound na pwede nyo marinig para at least meron kayo idea sa tunog ng cymbals na ino-offer nla.

Offline palolo_worm

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 06:35:04 PM »
tama, the only way to know which cymbals to buy is to hear it for yourself. wag mo muna tignan ung price. :) i have a friend na nagbebenta ng K constantinople hats (pinost ko dati), kasi ayaw niya tunog. although one of the most expensive hats ng zildjian, hindi pasok sa gusto niyang tunog. pero ako, gustong gusto ko. as in sobra. so in the end, ako bumili. ahahaha.

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
In that case, uhm... Ano yung pinakapreferable hi-hats and crash for recording? I'm thinking A custom mastersound hi-hats vs. K custom session. Tapos for crash 16" crash naman basically either A custom or K custom dark crash. Pahingi naman ng opinion niyo, basically ang tugtugan ala incubus at redhot hehe..

And another question, gumaganda ba tunog ng cymbals over time? or pumapangit? hahaha newbie here, sorry! :P

As we always say cymbals is of a personal preference. The best suggestion we can provide is for you to listen to prospective cymbals you are interested in in person.

With the aging process of cymbals, yes! Supposedly they do sound better over time, but once again this is on a preference value also, some like the aged sound, some don't.

Cymbals are your voice as a drummer, only you can tell which one's are for you.

I have created 3 threads that give personal cymbal perceptions, this maybe an opportunity to serve it's purpose:

CRASH description thread
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,47478.0.html

RIDE description thread
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,47477.0.html

HiHat description thread
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,47479.0.html

Goodluck! :wink:

Offline black_panther

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »
hi there, black panther here, man thats a nice question, but i think this will depend on your needs and what type of musician you are, if you are the gigging drummer, then i suggest you go for the cymbals and other stuffs you bring on gigs such as drum pedals and snares, yes its true that most bars has broken cymbals and someitmes worn out snare and beaten drum pedals, haha, kaya it would be better if you have those, well if you think naman most of your drumming will be spend at home then i suggest go for the drumset, im the former product manager of pearl drums and those target series are really ineted to be low end,to be honest i never made an order of those during my time with pearl...well thats just my opinion..in the end the decision will be up to you, you can always pm me for help..cheers man
SPL AUDIO MARKETING QUIAPO, MANILA
TEL#735-54-40
 HI-FI LOUNGE ALABANG FESTIVAL MALL  TEL#842-81-33  THE MUSIC SOURCE EDSA  TEL#376-4598/ 415-03-66

Offline bassman88

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 08:47:03 AM »
Thank black panther, napansin ko nga talaga na kahit anong gawin ko hindi ko makuha ung tunog na gusto ko sa target series. Pinagiisipan ko rin ulit, kasi the snare and hihat stands are rusted and not functioning well so if bibili pa ako ng replacements mapapalaki rin gastos ko. haha!

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 04:19:58 PM »
if you can make your bad kit sound good what more if you're in bars with good equipments plus your high end discs diba? 8-)

Offline black_panther

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 05:12:56 PM »
Thank black panther, napansin ko nga talaga na kahit anong gawin ko hindi ko makuha ung tunog na gusto ko sa target series. Pinagiisipan ko rin ulit, kasi the snare and hihat stands are rusted and not functioning well so if bibili pa ako ng replacements mapapalaki rin gastos ko. haha!

your welcome man, no problem, just pm me if you need help oki.. :wink:
TEL#735-54-40
 HI-FI LOUNGE ALABANG FESTIVAL MALL  TEL#842-81-33  THE MUSIC SOURCE EDSA  TEL#376-4598/ 415-03-66

Offline bassman88

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:25 PM »
So it's basically cymbals over drum kit, Masyado lang akong noob kaya di ko mapaganda tunog ng set ko. haha! This is a challenge i guess..

Offline black_panther

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 09:47:58 AM »
So it's basically cymbals over drum kit, Masyado lang akong noob kaya di ko mapaganda tunog ng set ko. haha! This is a challenge i guess..

well i suggest you takew your time deciding on that..take note that either the cymbals and the drums can be lifetime investment of yours.. :wink:
TEL#735-54-40

Offline BirjandBOGGS

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 11:10:32 PM »
kung ok pa naman yung old set mo siguro palitan mo na lang ng heads yung toms tapos konting linis. if your a Gigging drumer mas helpful yung may maganda kang set of cymbals, snare and pedal. i believe those are impt kasi hindi mo naman madadala yung buong kit.... :mrgreen:

Offline bassman88

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 11:13:32 PM »
Thanks guys, I invested on a Gretsch Catalina Maple fusion kit w/o cymbals, im using my old solar cymbal pack na muna for now. I'm using it for home recording kasi and im still learning drums pa, sa tingin ko mas ok ung investment na to since hindi ko pa alam anong tunog ng cymbals gusto ko. haha! thanks guys!

Offline toybitz

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 12:33:08 AM »
If you're comfortable with your kit..go for the cymbals.

I said "if" because in my case, I couldn't appreciate the old Pearl Forum, Target models because the toms are too deep and I find it hard to angle the toms to my liking.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline vdonati_fan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 01:06:19 AM »
that's a killer kit...and it should go with a killer set of cymbals...

since you're on a tight budget after purchasing the kit, it would be a good move for you to get affordable cymbals(you know where i'm getting at?)...look for black_panther again and ask for his killer Stagg cymbals...i'm positive that you'll love the sound it'd make plus it's very affordable.

HTH!
"Praise Him with drums and dancing...Praise Him with cymbals. Praise Him with loud cymbals."- Psalms 150:4-5

Offline sjon014

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 07:35:46 AM »
Catalinas and Solars don't mix bro.=) Ipon kaagad para sa, anything not Planet Z or Solar. :-D
Pinoydrums Lanyard - North distribution THIS SUNDAY, 2PM, TMS Alimall!
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,148425.msg1983008.html#msg1983008

Offline bassman88

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 10:34:06 AM »
Yeah, nasasayang nga yung tunog ng kit dahil ang pangit ng cymbal set haha! Stagg cymbals? Will it be a good investment in the long run?

Offline royalletones

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »
for me. invest ka sa cymbals.
since you already had a drumkit. ang kit may remedyo sa tunog nyan just replace only the drumheads. yung cymbals pag panget ang tunog di na pwedeng pagandahin pa. kahit ano pang gawin mo.
successful deal via meetups/shipping: rasta_gopz, Blood_saves, nuthead, yekoz, nuthead, beepbeep, akgm52192, ivanovich05, wipeout, mr.diddle, wax_static, sandythedrummer, peeves24, vhinming, shotsofredmist, zildjian07, jejunaidrmmr, thegreatone, markcasq