hulika

Author Topic: harp players: suzuki harmonicas now available  (Read 7600 times)

Offline masterwindu

• Netizen Level
harp players: suzuki harmonicas now available
« on: September 21, 2007, 08:39:17 AM »

as an update to my previous thread (months ago..hehehe), suzuki harmonicas are now available at jb music stores.  :-D

three models are currently available, all with plastic combs: easy rider (not sure how much), folkmaster (p400+) and bluesmaster (p1000+)

i was expecting more on the quality of workmanship on the folkmaster. still, its said to play well and stay in tune for a long time. same is said for many other suzuki harps coz of strong reeds.

was hoping the promaster or chromatix series to be available. 'special order' daw. and we all know what that means.  :cry: anyway, the bluesmaster looks really promising.

sam

Offline 430nmtune

Re: harp players: suzuki harmonicas now available
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:55:38 AM »
Although I haven't tried both "Folkmaster' and 'Bluesmaster' models, I do think they are good. I have tried the 'Harpmaster' and 'Promaster' and now there is a new model the 'Firebreath'(wooden comb, counter part ng New Marine band ng Hohner). Lasang 'metal' ang promaster. OK lang kung 'pucker' playing ang style.

Offline serpentboy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 11:02:39 PM »
 :mrgreen:

Yehey... this is good news to all pinoy blues harp players... sana sumunod na rin yung mga harp mics and amps...  (yung di gaanong mahal hehe...)

Keep on wailin'!!!

Blues rules!!!

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »
Mukhang napa ka konti ng harmonica enthusiast dito sa 'pinas. Kaya bihira ang availability ng harps at harp mics.

@Masterwindu:
anong balita sa mic building mo?

Offline bahaw

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:15:31 AM »
I tried the folkmaster, it was quite ok for a beginner like me trying to appreciate the basics.  i did learn a few tunes with it, but can't draw 2nd hole however I try and I had a hard time playing single notes.  I wanted to progress quicker and don't want to be discouraged so i bought a lee oskar :-D  From time to time i go back and play the folkmaster and try to play tunes i learned from my lee oskar.  Its still hard the first time, but as I went along, I got to play single notes and 2nd hole draw eventually.  I guess the lee oskar taught me the techniques and the folkmaster pushes me to refine them.  As for the tone, the lee oskar is far better and has the volume.

Off topic: I am trying to find a harmonica teacher, do you know anyone?  Or a group/club where I can learn few tricks?

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 03:26:46 PM »
How did the Lee Oskar teach you the techniques? Is it also richter tuned?

I don't know of any club here in manila but maybe deltaslim can help hook up with some harp players. I heard Tomcat may be interested in teaching.

I tried the folkmaster, it was quite ok for a beginner like me trying to appreciate the basics.  i did learn a few tunes with it, but can't draw 2nd hole however I try and I had a hard time playing single notes.  I wanted to progress quicker and don't want to be discouraged so i bought a lee oskar :-D  From time to time i go back and play the folkmaster and try to play tunes i learned from my lee oskar.  Its still hard the first time, but as I went along, I got to play single notes and 2nd hole draw eventually.  I guess the lee oskar taught me the techniques and the folkmaster pushes me to refine them.  As for the tone, the lee oskar is far better and has the volume.

Off topic: I am trying to find a harmonica teacher, do you know anyone?  Or a group/club where I can learn few tricks?

Offline masterwindu

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:04:27 AM »
bahaw: i have the same impression with lee oskars. they're reaaally easy to play. very responsive to bending.

430nmtune: frustrating due to lack of parts locally. this was my last project: (OT, sorry mods..)

sadly, the element i scavenged from another mic simply.."died". haven't touched it since.

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 09:45:28 AM »
Masterwindu:
Wicked! That mic looks like it'll give the blues blaster a kickin'. Saan mo nakuha yung body ng mic? Ano yung element na ginamit mo?
What is your opinion on Hering harps?
Do you teach?

Bahaw:
Naka hanap ka na ng teacher?
Patay na lahat ng 'teachers' ko. hehehe I try to learn from old blues harp recordings. Kay hanggang ngayon struggling pa rin. The best talaga yung may 'live' teacher.  Ask masterwindu.

Offline bahaw

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 04:30:59 PM »
yes, as masterwindu said, its easier to play with lee oskars, the holes are separated just alright between each other whereas in folkmaster they are near each other, thus I was not learning single notes playing very well.

As for bending, as I said, I'm still learning, but I've done bending on lee oskars, haven't tried with folkmaster yet. :-D

Yeah, Tomcat will be a nice teacher, I've seen him play in a blueskrieg gig, actually he got me inspired in learning harmonica. :-D

Offline bahaw

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »
Bahaw:
Naka hanap ka na ng teacher?
Patay na lahat ng 'teachers' ko. hehehe I try to learn from old blues harp recordings. Kay hanggang ngayon struggling pa rin. The best talaga yung may 'live' teacher.  Ask masterwindu.

Ala pa ako titser e  :cry: Baka pede tayo turuan ni masterwindu :roll:

Offline masterwindu

• Netizen Level
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 07:41:13 AM »

430nmtune:
The body is a Rexona cap, stole the grille from one of my mom’s vitamin bottles. It’s a childproof cap. hehehe. :-D Took the element of an old Phonotrix tape recorder mic.
I haven’t had the chance to try out a Hering harp. Been drooling over pix (net) of their chromatics for years… Hope they become available locally.

Bahaw:
We’re in the same boat. Struggling parin ako with bending especially with high tuned harps. Like 430nmtune, I also play it by ear. I listen then try to copy.
The closest thing I’ve had to a “live teacher” is you tube. My newest “teacher” is a great harp player named Adam Gussow. GALING!!! Search mo. Daming techniques that you can learn.

Offline aquafire

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
Adam Gussow rocks! In a blues kind of way. hehehe. He is also a good writer.I got a copy  of his 'Satan's Apprentice' (not demonic. Its the name of his mentor.) It is a story of his personal blues journey.
@Masterwindu
Thanks for the info. You play chrom as well?
@Bahaw:
Hanap ka nang blus back up trax. Marami pero usually for guitar. OK parin.

Offline bahaw

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 04:36:42 AM »
Yeah Adam Gussow Rocks! (or blows? no no no pangit pakinggan). I'm also subscribed to his youtube vids. :-D

Ok back to orig topic, I hope we get more brands other than suzuki so we have choices and comparison of what's best for us players.

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 10:53:40 AM »
Rocks and WAILS man! Keep on wailing..
Buti na lang available na ang Suzuki ang mahal kasi ng hohner.
Merong Hero from China pero napakahirap gamitin. Ironically maraming beginners dito nag simula.

Offline masterwindu

• Netizen Level
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 09:52:45 AM »

Aquafire: yep. i TRY to play chrom. (hirap eh) hehe.

i really do wish more harmonica brands would be made available locally. kahit chinese brands basta good quality like Huang.

Offline serpentboy

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 10:55:18 PM »
hello blues brudahs!

Got a Folkmaster from JB last week, yun lang kasi ma-afford ko hehehe...

The verdict: I agree with "bahaw", it's a bit difficult to draw single notes from the FMaster. And it doesn't sound as good as the Special20. My cheapo "Parrot" harp even sounds better and it's easier to play.

Maybe I should have bought the Bluesmaster....

But for 400+ php, I guess it's okay. And it's available in all keys!  :mrgreen:

BTW, nice rexona i-mic masterwindu!

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 12:36:13 PM »
@Masterwindu.
Got chrom but cant really play it. Huangs are nice but sometimes needs some tweaking.  I think Swan is a better chinese brand(also cheaper).

@Serpentboy:
Do they sell it individually or they also have sets (mas mura)?

Offline serpentboy

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 10:12:15 AM »
@430nmtune - Not sure if they sell it by sets. They do sell individually though. P480+ each (Folkmaster).

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 06:56:45 PM »
@Serpentboy:
Subukan ko muna yung C harp. Kung ok baka pati na A, D, F

Offline whitey

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 04:21:43 PM »
If you are looking for very good free lessons check out Jason Ricci. This guy can play and has a great site. Also have a listen to his band "Jason Ricci & New Blood".

BTW:  I am also selling one of my mics. It is a Nady VHM-7 Bushman Torpedo that has been modified. It now has a volume control and a new element, great for harp players. Its virtually brand new. Used this mic only a couple of times. Will post a picture in the very near future. P8,000.00 or nearest offer.

Call 09178446454 for more info

Offline serpentboy

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 10:14:38 AM »
Check this out mga bros!

Star Wars blues harp by Darth Vader:
http://starwars.yahoo.com/videos/darth-vader-plays-the-blues

Offline tonnakpil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 03:40:11 PM »
Hi pasingit po.  :-)

Been playing the harp for quite some time now. I got the Bb folkmaster last month. Adjusted the reeds a little bit esp on the 1 and 2 hole draws.

It's an OK harp. Medyo bitin lang yung tunog ng 2 hole draw (ie. mahina, compared to my other harps). Anybody got the Bb Bluesmaster? Any feedback?

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 04:08:02 PM »
I got the Folkmaster as well Bb. It didn't need adjustment. This model is very easy to bend but maybe due to that kaya rin madali mag bend ng konti at na pa flat ang 2 draw at 1 draw.
Mas malakas ng konti ang bluesmaster. Wala naman problema kung ampped ka.

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 08:48:50 AM »
Kumusta na yung Folkmaster nyo? Nasubukan mo ba yung Hering Delta? Malakas at mas matibay yung reeds sa Folkmaster. Medyo mas pricey konti.
Hi pasingit po.  :-)

Been playing the harp for quite some time now. I got the Bb folkmaster last month. Adjusted the reeds a little bit esp on the 1 and 2 hole draws.

It's an OK harp. Medyo bitin lang yung tunog ng 2 hole draw (ie. mahina, compared to my other harps). Anybody got the Bb Bluesmaster? Any feedback?

Offline tonnakpil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »
Kumusta na yung Folkmaster nyo? Nasubukan mo ba yung Hering Delta? Malakas at mas matibay yung reeds sa Folkmaster. Medyo mas pricey konti.

To be honest the Folkmaster is still not working for me, its just sitting around my room for two reasons. One, na-O-OC ako kasi hindi pantay pantay yung tunog (volume) nung reeds. Two, we seldom play blues in E.  :-)

I was planning to loosen up all the reeds a little bit, but still haven't found the time. I hope that works. Sayang kasi yung 400++. 

I just discovered that the Bb harp has a really good notes in it - very bluesy (IMO), especially is you blow on the 1-2-3 holes which produces a Cm chord. If I find a very nice Bb harp, I'm sure it'll be my favorite harp.  :wink:

San nakakabili nung Hering Delta, bro?