hulika

Author Topic: Eric Perlas is the man.  (Read 7337 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Eric Perlas is the man.
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:52:45 AM »
I just heard his work with Out Of Body Special.  His mixes practically piss on a lot of other mixes.  It is quite weird though that a guy who is known for his works with metal bands has nailed the right tone for a groove-hop/acid jazz/funk band like The Out Of Body Special.

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Eric Perlas is the man.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 12:48:02 PM »
very good!

wag mo problemahin ang problema, hayaan mong problema mamroblema sayo!!!!!

Pag ang lason ba na-expire lason parin?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 12:53:26 PM »
hahahahhaa!!! tone is in the balls!!!!

sakit ng tyan ko sa katatawa hahahahhahahahaha
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:58:17 PM »
Why is there no love for Tower Of Doom in this forum?  They record bands for a good price and most go home happy.  But everything is always gonna be imperfect.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »
Why is there no love for Tower Of Doom in this forum?  They record bands for a good price and most go home happy.  But everything is always gonna be imperfect.

.hmmmmmm labo yata statement mo

your the one who always brag about tone, amps, etc etc right? you even called angee's work crap right?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 01:08:53 PM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 01:09:27 PM »
2 words:

1) Move
2) On
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 01:15:04 PM »
oo nga naman skunky move on.. :-D
wag mo problemahin ang problema, hayaan mong problema mamroblema sayo!!!!!

Pag ang lason ba na-expire lason parin?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 01:18:29 PM »
oo nga jepoy! move on!

ikaw din mohawk move on ka na!

punta ka pa ng studio! walang bantay dun!

(sabay sigaw) ZAIDO! PULIS !PANGKALAWAKAN KA! hindi ka dapat dito!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 01:30:40 PM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 01:44:41 PM »
.hmmmmmm labo yata statement mo

your the one who always brag about tone, amps, etc etc right? you even called angee's work crap right?

I said Jorel's tone on Kjwan was crap.  Doesn't mean because I was displeased by one of Angee's works doesn't mean I should dis him as a whole.  Why don't you use the search function and look for my comments on Perf's tone on Francism's Freeman 2, Cynthia Alexander, Eraserheads and Cheese?  Ano ang common denominator nila?

Hey, I love Brendan O Brien and Bob Ludwig, but I honestly think they mushed up the tone (hence crappy-sounding) on Incubus' Light Grenades.  It's the same perspective.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 01:48:05 PM »

Malabo ba ito?  Hindi ba may kasabihan, "Mixes are never finished, only abandoned..."?  Ano ang malabo doon?   Do you think all mixes are perfect?  So why are all of the classic recordings being remixed at one point before it goes through re-mastering?

It seems everybody is putting their shields up again.

Oh BTW, I haven't met Eric Perlas personally pero napaka fafable niya pala hehehe...  :-D

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 01:52:24 PM »
oo nga naman skunky move on.. :-D

I have moved on from dissing to praising.    :-D

Offline supacow

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 02:59:26 PM »
Tower of Doom has produced a lot of great bands, namely from ateneo.

Correct me if im wrong here pero i think dalawa sa mga credentials ni eric na kilala ko ay Boyelroy at Plane divides.

His work there is just top notch. lalo na yung Plane divides, al though Metal is not my cup of tea. husay pa din!

Never new Tower of Doom gumawa ng Out of body special. tuwang tuwa ako dun sa kanta nila ngayon na pinapatugtog sa radyo eh.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:16:06 PM by supacow »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 03:10:35 PM »
Eric did Plane Divides the Sky? Their demo passed through my hands a few years ago... material was good, very raw during that stage but I already saw potential in that group.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline supacow

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 03:15:39 PM »
Eric did Plane Divides the Sky? Their demo passed through my hands a few years ago... material was good, very raw during that stage but I already saw potential in that group.

i think so. first album i think, panic in the skies ba yung title? di ko na matandaan eh. hehe

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 03:17:04 PM »
sa tower of doom rin nirecord yung ep ng friend ko na drummer ng april morning skies. pinarinig niya sakin yung mga songs nila galing nung nag mix. di ko lang sure kung yang eric ang nag mix pero for sure tower of doom nirecord and ginto daw ang rates diyan sa tower of doom hehehe namulubi daw sila eh

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 03:46:36 PM »

One can diss is ways without offending, in the same way, one can praise without meaning it. It's all in the delivery. I'm all for an open discussion on things as long as it doesn't get personal and fur starts flying (I'm usually the one who cleans up the mess  :| ).

Anyway, skunkyfunk is free to contribute his thoughts, and however controversial it may be at times, we should all be mature enough to respond in kind. Let's put the past behind us and learn from our mistakes. (Incredibly cliched, I know, but it's an effect from hearing Papaya by Urzsula Dudjiak from our neighbor's radio over and over and over... aaarrrggghhhh!!!)
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 04:27:22 PM »
I just heard his work with Out Of Body Special.  His mixes practically piss on a lot of other mixes.  It is quite weird though that a guy who is known for his works with metal bands has nailed the right tone for a groove-hop/acid jazz/funk band like The Out Of Body Special.

i've heard eric's work with reggae mistress and it is definitely broadcast quality.  i'm not very familiar with his equipment but his drum sounds were quite impressive that i even emailed to ask him about his technique. overall the reggae mistress recording was a little overcompressed for my taste but definitely up there with other commercial releases.  i have yet to hear his metal stuff but im guessing theyre just as good, if not better.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline supacow

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 04:33:20 PM »
i've heard eric's work with reggae mistress and it is definitely broadcast quality.  i'm not very familiar with his equipment but his drum sounds were quite impressive that i even emailed to ask him about his technique. overall the reggae mistress recording was a little overcompressed for my taste but definitely up there with other commercial releases.  i have yet to hear his metal stuff but im guessing theyre just as good, if not better.

If im not mistaken, he's a member of Cog, a metal band, You can check that out. I would assume Cog recorded in Tower of Doom. And also the other one i mentioned which was Plane Divides!

Don't know about bands aside from that. :) ma-ispatan nga reggae Mistress, husay nila live eh, haven't heard them on radio yet though.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 04:38:45 PM »
eto yung band ng friend ko na drummer na nag record sa tower of doom. take note walang metronome na sinundan sa drums hehehe

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14176879

ayan tower of doom ni record pero internet streaming quality yan., syempre iba parin tunog sa cd.

not a fan of their genre rin hehehe pro bilib ako sa quality ng recording nila saka dun sa friend ko drummer alam ko 19 yrd old lan siya panis ako hehehe
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 04:42:42 PM by bugoy »

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 10:25:53 PM »
Malabo ba ito?  Hindi ba may kasabihan, "Mixes are never finished, only abandoned..."?  Ano ang malabo doon?   Do you think all mixes are perfect?  So why are all of the classic recordings being remixed at one point before it goes through re-mastering?

It seems everybody is putting their shields up again.

Oh BTW, I haven't met Eric Perlas personally pero napaka fafable niya pala hehehe...  :-D

i agree. an artist's work is never really finished, but at some point, the work has to be done... it's at that point that the artist can already live with it's imperfections.

i'm very happy that you're now taking that route, my friend. there really is a fine line between dissing and sharing constructive criticism, and depending on which perspective you're coming from, it's very difficult to tell which is which.

well, everybody's gonna need to loosen up a bit...
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline deedee91874

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 10:00:53 PM »
OT ata pero when you say broadcast quality does that mean na my airplay siya sa radio stations at tv?

kasi had some of my works broadcasted and played over radio and tv pero can't really compare it sa mga profesional studios like the ones that you guys have here. heard na songs recorded at tracks, starfugger and tower of doom panis na panis ako. IM BEING HONEST KAYA I TRY TO READ AND IMPROVE via reading here sa forum at tambay sa tracks studio

so ang point ko eh is hindi kaya medyo mahirap ma determine kung ano ang broadcast quality standard ng radio and tv ngayon?

some of my work

datus tribe, dondi ong, [sausage] zamora
can be heard here
http://ratskarad.multiply.com/music

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 01:21:29 AM »
@dodjie ... i second marvin's comment.  i appreciate your posotive rmarks bout a fellow pinoy engineer (pinoy si eric diba?) :)

i don't mean to hijack your thread, pero here are a couple of local engineers im inclined to call THE MAN as well:

angee rozul - shempre pa ... i really love his soundstaging ... the way the elements of his mix are found in the right places ... the warmth of his sound.  alam naman natin na walang taong 100% ang batting average and i admit that there are some angee mixes that i appreciate less than others, but overall his sound amazes me more often than not.

shinji tanaka - shempre pa.  listen to the apo album.  you could hear shinji's mixes BREATHE.  if anything his mixes sound tall and open.  another thing, he captures amazing, and i mean AMAZING drum sounds from the get go.  oh my lord, listen to that kick track! (ang GANDA talaga).  his raw tracks are wonderfully recorded.  i've watched him work in the studio and he's definitely full of ideas... very very creative.  he has this certain instinct of knowing what a song calls for.

OT ata pero when you say broadcast quality does that mean na my airplay siya sa radio stations at tv?

kasi had some of my works broadcasted and played over radio and tv pero can't really compare it sa mga profesional studios like the ones that you guys have here. heard na songs recorded at tracks, starfugger and tower of doom panis na panis ako. IM BEING HONEST KAYA I TRY TO READ AND IMPROVE via reading here sa forum at tambay sa tracks studio

so ang point ko eh is hindi kaya medyo mahirap ma determine kung ano ang broadcast quality standard ng radio and tv ngayon?

some of my work

datus tribe, dondi ong, [sausage] zamora
can be heard here
http://ratskarad.multiply.com/music

hi deedee.  sa akin broadcast quality means being at par or coming close to the quality of most songs being currently aired or commercially released :)  that includes criteria such clarity and overall plesantness of a mix. 
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 03:43:11 AM »
His mixes practically piss on a lot of other mixes. 

Oh lord, here we go again - I am getting front seat for this one! Sa'n na yung popcorn?! Sa'n na yung beer?!?!
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 07:13:39 AM »
eto popcorn ko abyss kaso madami butter ok lang?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 08:50:59 AM »
eto popcorn ko abyss kaso madami butter ok lang?

oks na yun...ako ang magdala ng Red Horse:)
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!