hulika

Author Topic: Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Mustang/Jagstang/offset waist guitar thread!  (Read 902571 times)

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Mustang/Jagstang/offset waist guitar thread!
« Reply #4875 on: May 09, 2015, 02:33:09 PM »
Três Marias

"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4876 on: May 11, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
My VM Jazzmaster is been with me for a month. I love how it looks, but I found myself falling out of love with this JM.  :oops:

Ok pa naman, but I'm using my old strat most of the time. I don't know what to upgrade on my JM or is it worth it to upgrade. Anyway have to spend much time with this JM before I decide to give up on this.  :-(  :-(  :-(
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:12:08 PM by NTM »
"Accomplishing the impossible is all about seeing the invisible."

- Sun Stand Still

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4877 on: May 11, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
It's not for everyone. Get a Mexican offset na lang.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4878 on: May 15, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
going through my old photobucket uploads... Throwback Fridays!

^Eto sana si "EVE" yung custom offset project.. :)

(My offset Peak period-- had two Jaguar HH's ) I wonder when it will happen again..
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:20:42 AM by gandydancer123 »
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4879 on: May 15, 2015, 10:28:25 AM »
Três Marias

damn, when will crescendo have another of them firebirds on sale..

sweet collection!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4880 on: May 15, 2015, 12:03:48 PM »
damn, when will crescendo have another of them firebirds on sale..

sweet collection!

thanks.

i think crescendo does not have any firebird left in stock. and it is hard to find any on the web since this guitar was on a production run for only 1 year (2011-2012).
but if i'm not mistaken, a certain seller here (freedomtom) is selling one. forgot to check his price though.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4881 on: May 15, 2015, 12:23:22 PM »
^ uy good investment din! .... you could probably slap on a pretty sweet premium  :wink: if you decide to resell..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4882 on: May 18, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
it is raining japanese fender jaguars at the classifieds. 4 if i'm not mistaken.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4883 on: May 21, 2015, 03:14:29 AM »
Belated NGD. I finally got in touch with the guys who make guitars for Bacchus. They started distributing guitars locally under the name Riverhead. My best friend and I picked from the first batch of Filipino-made Jazzmasters. Priced higher than Squier, but lower than Fender Mexico. Here's some pictures and a review:

Here's my initial assessment for the Philippine-made Riverhead Jazzmaster from Freedom Music.

The neck on mine is a slightly beefier modern C (although my best friend's Riverhead JM has a soft-v, so it might vary from guitar to guitar) and has a really nice satin finish. Headstock is a vintage-accurate JM shape with Kluson-style tuners and the truss rod adjust is at the heel like a good vintage Jazzy.

Body shape is really close to FMIC spec and only varies in terms of screw placement and possibly the roundovers around the lead circuit's volume and tone controls. It is possible to get US/MIM/Squier Mascis pickguards to fit if you're willing to make new screw holes. I'm also a bit iffy about the neck pocket as it's a good 2mm shallower than the typical FMIC route. If they did a shallower pocket for break angle, I'd understand but I think an angled neck pocket would be a better option and wouldn't have you cranking the bridge up off the thimbles. IIRC the finish is lacquer.

Hardware is basically what you'd find on a Squier, but slightly better quality. No stamp or lock on the tailpiece, but the one I got floats smoothly and stays in tune. Doesn't snag like the trem units on the RJ Mustang copy or some Squiers. Bridge is a bit heavier than I expected, but the tooling for the height screws is a bit loose and needs a bit of nail polish to prevent slippage. Also worth nothing that the screw heads on the pickups are a bit too large. Significantly larger than most Jazz Bass/Jazzmaster screw heads and could be a bit problematic when lowering pickup height. It was an issue for me but YMMV.

The plastics on this thing are okay, but I still get iffy about people who don't match the colors of the trem tip to the pickup covers. Covers and switch tip are a nice cream color but the trem tip is stark white. Minor issue with the font size on the knobs. Right color, but that font size is huge. I thought the guard was photo tort at first, but upon closer inspection I found that it was real tort, albeit a very thin layer. Not vintage accurate though, it's black/white/tort instead of mint/black/mint/tort.

Haven't opened this thing up yet, but as far as electronics go that's where I find the most issues. No problems with noise, but the tone control on the lead circuit is absolutely useless. I think they used the wrong taper pot on the tone knob, so it only really rolls off your tone when you're close to zero. Minor issue since pots are easy to replace.

I set mine up with a heavy set of strings for B-b baritone tuning and plugged it into my gigging rig. Was definitely not disappointed. The pickups are surprisingly good sounding JM pickups. I mean, I wouldn't replace them if I wasn't looking for a specific bridge pickup sound. I'll probably end up keeping the neck pickup. Great example of how decent JM pickups should sound.

Will be recording demos when I'm free. What else do you want me to cover?
Offset guitars for life.

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4884 on: May 21, 2015, 03:37:59 AM »
Congrats with the NGD.  It looks like a TVL Jazz, save for the BnB neck and the pilot switch. Are those witch hats for knob controls?  They do look snazzy, for sure.

Vintage radius on those babies, right?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:40:04 AM by Deadwing »

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4885 on: May 21, 2015, 06:53:04 AM »
Id hit it.Who is selling them locally?

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4886 on: May 21, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »

did riverhead intentionally installed the bridge upside-down?

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4887 on: May 21, 2015, 09:21:29 AM »
good modders platform.. mga 8-10k?
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4888 on: May 21, 2015, 11:09:27 AM »
did riverhead intentionally installed the bridge upside-down?

Same here.. yun din napansin ko..  :)

@treblinkalovescene

Where can I find these guitars? Do they also make Strats, Teles etc? If so I would be interested! Congrats on your NGD! Well built guitar! Kaka-miss din mag offset.. hehe

- Sun Stand Still

Offline juan_alderete

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4889 on: May 21, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
ayos finally hehe, their basses are good looking too hehe  :drool:

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4890 on: May 21, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
Not a modding platform. Solid guitar siya through and through. Makes the Squiers look like a joke and I love the Squiers at that rate. 20k++ siya. Not too expensive. I install my bridges backwards to make intonation easier. Freedom Music sells them and yes, they have Telecasters.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:37:33 AM by treblinkalovescene »
Offset guitars for life.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4891 on: May 21, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »
Congrats with the NGD.  It looks like a TVL Jazz, save for the BnB neck and the pilot switch. Are those witch hats for knob controls?  They do look snazzy, for sure.

Vintage radius on those babies, right?
Hats are from an old amp of mine. It's a 9.5".
Offset guitars for life.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4892 on: May 21, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
Not a modding platform. Solid guitar siya through and through. Makes the Squiers look like a joke and I love the Squiers at that rate. 20k++ siya. Not too expensive. I install my bridges backwards to make intonation easier. Freedom Music sells them and yes, they have Telecasters.

nice! and that made in the Philippines stamped plate makes it all worth the cash... at least you know filipino workers are benefiting from your money..

good to hear its pretty solid...

more power sa Bacchus Pinas..and may many more international factories pop up in our shores..
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:46:30 AM by gandydancer123 »
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4893 on: May 21, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »
Hindi lang yun e, it's surprisingly good.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4894 on: May 21, 2015, 12:44:54 PM »
Hindi lang yun e, it's surprisingly good.
better get this initial batch..yours is 101...
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4895 on: May 21, 2015, 05:30:45 PM »

Wow.. Tinignan ko list ng mga gitara nila, saw a white blonde telecaster, kaka-tempt. Gusto ko ma-try and compare it to Squire Classic Vibe series.  :-D

- Sun Stand Still

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4896 on: May 22, 2015, 02:41:02 AM »

Here's a clean demo I did with all the positions on the guitar. All clean except for the rhythm circuit overdub which had chorus, delay, and reverb.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline juan_alderete

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4897 on: May 22, 2015, 06:10:13 PM »
NGD CIJ JM,. I like this a lot, bonded with it right away unlike my previous jag, will put 65 pickups in the future or something less shrill and more bite, the stocks are ok for now i guess :wave:, also my ears bled first time I plugged it in, yun pala my stomps setting is set for a dark sounding humbucker guitar haha, a little tweaking ok na ulit, also surprisingly the bridge is ok for me now, hehe the nail polish trick worked like a charm, also taped the post halfway for more stability, still moves but limited space na para no chance to slip.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4898 on: May 22, 2015, 07:24:04 PM »
NGD CIJ JM,. I like this a lot, bonded with it right away unlike my previous jag, will put 65 pickups in the future or something less shrill and more bite, the stocks are ok for now i guess :wave:, also my ears bled first time I plugged it in, yun pala my stomps setting is set for a dark sounding humbucker guitar haha, a little tweaking ok na ulit, also surprisingly the bridge is ok for me now, hehe the nail polish trick worked like a charm, also taped the post halfway for more stability, still moves but limited space na para no chance to slip.

Sounds like you need an Antiquity I set
Offset guitars for life.

Offline juan_alderete

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4899 on: May 22, 2015, 08:09:25 PM »
Sounds like you need an Antiquity I set

yup yun din nabasa ko, hehe, might get that too, so tempting kasi ng price ng 65 set, :money: