hulika

Author Topic: BAMFX "$10k collector's amp" Tubescreamer mod...  (Read 31357 times)

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
BAMFX "$10k collector's amp" Tubescreamer mod...
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:07:12 AM »
... or more like, "aping the pedal that apes the amp"....

being a big fan of carlton and ford (both their playing and tones), I've always been curious about the pedals that claim to emulate their coveted dumble tones.

yes, there's a whole heap of them, but I feel that the two most noteworthy are the hermidaaudio zendrive (which ford packs with around himself when he doesnt wanna lug his rig, there are pics on the hermidaaudio site of him using one into red knob fender amps)  and the pricier jettergear gain stage red, which is a pretty swell sounding box with a nice pricetag.

and looky who comes to save the day! BAMF comes up with his own! (I kinda helped with the pestering, but all pogi points go to him of course).... check out the clips for your own comparison... three versions of "help the poor"

jettergear gain stage red (from the website)
http://www.jettergear.com/assets/audio/gsrRon_1.mp3

zendrive (from the site, scott lerner)
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/zen/ZenHelpPoor.MP3

bamfx "$10k amp" ts7 mod (yours truly on the elegee custom, ts7 into a fender stage amp)
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6155759

i'm just touching the tip of the iceberg her4e on the eq and gain, theres a wider sweep for both frequencies... but of course, the classic dumble "chirp" is present

oh, and the mod doesn't have an official name! maybe we can help him brainstorm...
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: BAMFX "$10k collector's amp" Tubescreamer mod...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:09:57 AM »
oh, and i'm pretty sure that the mod would work great in all tubescreamers and variants thereof....

Ron Kirn

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:18:54 AM »
Sorry, BAMF and Anton. Not even close.

It still sounds like a hopped-up tubescreamer.... mids with truncated highs and lows.  Your version needs its high mids opened up to get that snarl plus relaxing the highs and lows to have them present but not overbearing.

It's a good sound, but it's not a Dumble.

Offline micsis

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:34:01 AM »
Anton,

I like what i heard! nice tone and playing of course.
I'm standing on a ROCK and my name is on the ROLL

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 12:36:14 AM »
Sorry, BAMF and Anton. Not even close.

It still sounds like a hopped-up tubescreamer.... mids with truncated highs and lows.  Your version needs its high mids opened up to get that snarl plus relaxing the highs and lows to have them present but not overbearing.

It's a good sound, but it's not a Dumble.

Thanks Perf!

Will work on it for sure, I'll pester him much more   :wink: i was thinking about the eq on it too, you hit the nail on the head with the description, muchas gracias!

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:38:56 AM »
Anton,

I like what i heard! nice tone and playing of course.

thanks mike!

the mod still needs work i guess... that where bamf needs to do his magic.

Ron Kirn

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 01:04:25 AM »
Hey man, nice playing... And as always, great tone. Well, sir perf is kinda right, it's not too dumble-y (adjective? hehe) Not enough highs and upper mids, but nice mids nonetheless. This is the robben ford style track from bluesjamtracks isn't it? Hehe i also have this and when i heard it i really thought it sounded like "Help The Poor" from "Talk to your daughter"  :-D

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 01:27:00 AM »
anton,

first off, why not use an actual d*mble soundclip as your reference?  right now you're trying make a pedal that copies a pedal that copies a d*mble amp. (if you get what i mean. hehe!)

second, and more importantly, i think one of the "failures" of most pedals attempting to cop the d*mble sound is that they can get close to the sound, but not to the "feel" of a d*mble.  that said, who among us has actually tried a dumble anyway to make the proper comparision, no?  regardless, many have described the feel of an ODS as rather immediate, and can go from clean to overdriven simply by changing picking attack.  i think if this aspect can be captured, then you will definitely be on to something.

lastly, one oft overlooked aspect is the clean sound of the dumble which in a pedal format is quite impossible to incorporate (since when you bypass the pedal, the clean you get is that of the amp used).  i suppose this one can be tackled in terms of the 2nd matter i raised, wherein the clean portion (of the clean to mean via picking attack aspect) will have the characteristic d*mble clean sound when the pedal is on.  again, if this is achievable, it would be an improvement over many d*mble-type pedals.

my two cents.

i hope this isn't confusing.  it's late and my mind is cloudy.

cheers.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 01:27:18 AM »
Actually, I had to leave before they were fully done with recording, but I noticed that the TS7's tone knob was still at 12 o clock. Which means, there was still lots of room for more highs. And we recorded "dry" with absolutely no hint of reverb, unlike the two soundclips of the other pedals. We even dried out the room ambience with acoustic gobos. So the goal was to bring out the true sound of the pedal without making it sound too "live".

When sushi and I work together, the soldering iron follows where Anton's tone wants to go. Or at least that's how I strive to do it :D .

More upper mids...hmmm...I can do that :D. That involves just one capacitor change. But maybe we can explore going to the dime on the tone kn
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 02:10:34 AM by BAMF »
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 01:42:10 AM »
anton,

first off, why not use an actual d*mble soundclip as your reference?  right now you're trying make a pedal that copies a pedal that copies a d*mble amp. (if you get what i mean. hehe!)

second, and more importantly, i think one of the "failures" of most pedals attempting to cop the d*mble sound is that they can get close to the sound, but not to the "feel" of a d*mble.  that said, who among us has actually tried a dumble anyway to make the proper comparision, no?  regardless, many have described the feel of an ODS as rather immediate, and can go from clean to overdriven simply by changing picking attack.  i think if this aspect can be captured, then you will definitely be on to something.

lastly, one oft overlooked aspect is the clean sound of the dumble which in a pedal format is quite impossible to incorporate (since when you bypass the pedal, the clean you get is that of the amp used).  i suppose this one can be tackled in terms of the 2nd matter i raised, wherein the clean portion (of the clean to mean via picking attack aspect) will have the characteristic d*mble clean sound when the pedal is on.  again, if this is achievable, it would be an improvement over many d*mble-type pedals.

my two cents.

i hope this isn't confusing.  it's late and my mind is cloudy.

cheers.

Personally, I don't have a tonal reference for a Dumble. All I'm after is Anton's seal of approval (hehehe). You can say the music I listen to does not involve a Dumble e :D . Mostly walls of Marshalls :D

All I can hear when doodling with these mods is that the pedal sounds like a trumpet. The dynamics are just trumpet-ey, or horn-ey,  with the pick attack being mitigated, followed by a build up. Rounded attack, kumbaga. And the way it reacts to the strength of the pick attack and even pick angle...iba. Parang me maliit na "wah" between the pick attack and the build-up. I love it.

It doesn't suit all my preferences tho', I'd still go for the "sushi" sound when playing with the geeks. But maybe for solos...one pedal wearing this mod would be great on my pedalboard.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 01:49:51 AM by BAMF »

Offline Targa_midbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 02:48:08 AM »
You can say the music I listen to does not involve a Dumble e :D . Mostly walls of Marshalls :D
Apir tayo jan jobet! :-D
paano mapipigil ang isang damdamin
kung ang sinisigaw, ikaw ang lahat sa ahakin!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 07:41:31 AM »
BAMF -  good comments from perf and jack, which should help you fine tune it (esp. re the upper mids)...

having said that, and having owned a Zendrive for a while, i would just say that it sounds pretty good and that i've gotten somewhat similar tones from the Zendrive.  or more accurately, i can make the Zendrive sound like on your clip. 

on whether it actually sounds EXACTLY like a Zendrive, or even a Dumble, is hard to say cuz of many variables.  for one, i haven't really owned or played a Dumble. but i'm sure i can find a bunch of people who'll say that the Zendrive does not exactly sound like the Dambol either so... 

i guess there's no harm in marketing it as a Dumble-in-a-box if you actually try to reference a Dumble amp, not just the pedal that is supposed to emulate it.  otherwise, it's "Anton's dream Dambol tone-in-a-box" - which is still saying a lot...  :-D

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 08:41:10 AM »
Hey man, nice playing... And as always, great tone. Well, sir perf is kinda right, it's not too dumble-y (adjective? hehe) Not enough highs and upper mids, but nice mids nonetheless. This is the robben ford style track from bluesjamtracks isn't it? Hehe i also have this and when i heard it i really thought it sounded like "Help The Poor" from "Talk to your daughter"  :-D

thanks man.

yup, its a bt i took from somewhere, and its got the help the poor progression.

i've thought about the upper mids... bamf was right, tone knob at 12 o'clock, i should've dimed it... more on that later

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 08:49:49 AM »
:wink:
cheers.

hahaha! not confusing at all! all of the sudden its dawning onto my how lofting the goal maybe, but i'm optimistic that with alittle tweak here and there, it can be "approached", as in all truthfulness, no pedal can totally cop an amp.

methinks that emulators, such as  the zendrive and the gsr, produce more of a facsimile of that dumble tone, and perhaps nail most of that tone their eq.

thanks for the encouragement, and for the pointers. bamf and i shall convene tonight  :-)

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 08:54:20 AM »
BAMF -  good comments from perf and jack, which should help you fine tune it (esp. re the upper mids)...

having said that, and having owned a Zendrive for a while, i would just say that it sounds pretty good and that i've gotten somewhat similar tones from the Zendrive.  or more accurately, i can make the Zendrive sound like on your clip. 

on whether it actually sounds EXACTLY like a Zendrive, or even a Dumble, is hard to say cuz of many variables.  for one, i haven't really owned or played a Dumble. but i'm sure i can find a bunch of people who'll say that the Zendrive does not exactly sound like the Dambol either so... 

i guess there's no harm in marketing it as a Dumble-in-a-box if you actually try to reference a Dumble amp, not just the pedal that is supposed to emulate it.  otherwise, it's "Anton's dream Dambol tone-in-a-box" - which is still saying a lot...  :-D

thanks for the input  :-) i guess we're gonna have to live with the robben ford and larry carlton clips if we're gonna be referencing da dambol.

i'm still very happy with the ts7 mod, if its approaching the territory of the zen as you stated, then i'm optimistic it can be reached  :wink:

Ron Kirn

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 09:30:56 AM »
scalarizer na yan!

OT: sir, bamf un PM ko nga about scalarizer.
EXN PEDALBOARDS AND CASES http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,76364.0.html09173208410 / YM: exnpedalboards / skype: exn_pedalboards / fb: exnpedalboards / multiply: exnpedalboards

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 09:42:15 AM »
i'm still very happy with the ts7 mod, if its approaching the territory of the zen as you stated, then i'm optimistic it can be reached  :wink:

as you should... 

i hope this cures your curreng Zendrive GAS.  i think the incremental tone difference is not justified by the cost.  but that's just me...  although, in fairness, i did A/B the Zendrive w/ various ODs and know whereof i speak.  ;-)

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
brother anton, why not share to us that BT?
sarap lagyan ng guitar lines  :-D

BTW, im not really familiar with  Dumble... pero nice tone you got there!  :wink:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 08:21:17 PM »
I guess everyone has been wanting a "Dumble in a pedal" eons ago... Never been made yet.  Maybe your best bet would still be  a Twin Reverb and something...

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »
While on break, I broke open the TS7 again and following your advise, I lowered the value of that "treble killer" cap.

Then to top it off, I wired a switch that can disable the Tube Screamer "Treble killer", in a sort of "treble killer killer" :D

Can't wait till Anton comes and finds all the EQ options now available on the TS7.

What do we call it ? The Dumble-dorr mod ? :D

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 08:38:41 PM »
What they say is that one of the closest mods to get a Dumble sound is with the older Boogies.  Fenders are way too clean for that but maybe a little OD might help mimic that.  But Dumbles have  a very *unspeakable* richness that every owner says and brags about.  I dunno.  I need a Dumble to find out.  I know someone who modded his Mesa Boogie SOB to sound like a Dumble daw, and heard it... I was like "ok... so that's how a Dumble sounds???  :|"

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 09:09:32 PM »
Maybe you can make a Dumble pedal sound like this:

:-D

Offline r_lozano

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 09:24:36 PM »
Nasa 12 o clock pa lang ang tone knob dun?

I don't mind if it doesn't sound like a Dumble amp,  but I'm already convinced with the sound clip.

Sir BAMF magkano ang mod? Pila ako!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »
heres the video of fafa anton's sound clip

good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline RonnieA

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 10:33:23 PM »
Hi Anton and Fafa Jobet,

Im in the process of fasting right now (one meal a day lang ako). so you can imagine nothing's going thru my brain right now. (excpet the word of God- :-D). But seeing the thread, I couldnt help but listen to what you guys are tweaking on....Ito lang ang masasabi ko....

When you have nothing in your head and subject it to a tonal experience, I must say that Im totally awed with Anton's playing--a true Master of the six string ( that of an Elgee custom--minsan pahimas ah?  :-D). I love the Robben Ford vibe in it. As for Dumbles, I've heard of it before but sorry to say that Ihave not imersed myself into it. But-excellent tone Anton! Kudos to you!

Fafa Jobet--sorry at hindi ko pa na-test drive yung OD. As in (pramis!) The holidays and my parents arrival ( for the month of Dec.) has totally took my time off guitar playing. Pramis ko ulit--I will get to it once I have the time and post a review of the humble V-shock pedal.  To you my friend and Master Tweeker---hanep and lufet mo pa rin Fafa!!!

God Bless!
  RonnieA