hulika

Author Topic: Local wood for guitar body  (Read 130872 times)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Local wood for guitar body
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »
Bro if you think their website is something, you should see the warehouse! Nakaka depress kasi I can't buy them all :cry:  shoulda bought that African blackwood set when they offered it to me at half price! I'm such an idiot.  :roll:
 the kit wizard will drive you crazy The options are mind blowing.

Now I miss their sales, when they sell the sub par woods by the pound regardless of species and part. :cry:
And they have lots of rejects becuase of a few minor flaws.  Thank God For their high standards, otherwise a bottom feeder like me can only watch and drool. :cry: :cry:

Let's get these local woods going!

hay...if and when i get the chance to visit the US, i won't pass on the chance to visit their warehouse and purchase wood and other stuff.   :-D

On that note, here's something interesting and frustrating. :-)

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/127194-wood-shopping.html
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/127702-group-buy-honduran-mahogany-spanish-cedar.html

sana may ganyan din dito.  :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
hay...if and when i get the chance to visit the US, i won't pass on the chance to visit their warehouse and purchase wood and other stuff.   :-D

Your wish is my command.  :-D

Anybody intrested in a Group buy of African Mahogany and Walnut?

sizes are 22x14x2 inches and 30x4x3 inches. S2S.

Estimated price Php 500.00 each (I'm still negotiating with the supplier) for the final quote.

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »

I'm sure somewhere here in Manila there is a stash of wood planks from old houses.  I fantasize that there is this old rickety house about to be demolished that once belonged to a rich guy, and he used rosewood and Honduran mahogany for his fixtures.  

It's out there boys, we just have to look for it.

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »
Your wish is my command.  :-D

Estimated price Php 500.00 each (I'm still negotiating with the supplier) for the final quote.

I'm listening.  What kind of African mahogany?  What kind of walnut?  How close are they to quarter sawn? Pics would be nice
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:09:19 PM by jbarot »

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »
@jbarot
I still owe you some pics of some of my woods.  :wink: I'll have plenty of time tom.

My Dad makes furnitures as his hobby. So I've experience hunting different kinds of wood here in manila. Most of them are based on VISMIN but have a small warehouse here. And most of the have very limited stocks. I remember theres one in pasig near ortigas extension ( a small gate with a huge warehouse). The other one is in valenzuela (which I think its gone), they mostly sell illegal kinds of wood.

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »

Okay. You have my attention. I assume there will be a minimum for the group buy. Kindly PM details when final :-)
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »
@jbarot
I still owe you some pics of some of my woods.  :wink: I'll have plenty of time tom.

My Dad makes furnitures as his hobby. So I've experience hunting different kinds of wood here in manila. Most of them are based on VISMIN but have a small warehouse here. And most of the have very limited stocks. I remember theres one in pasig near ortigas extension ( a small gate with a huge warehouse). The other one is in valenzuela (which I think its gone), they mostly sell illegal kinds of wood.

do you know where in ortigas?  do they accommodate walkins?

thanks for this info :-)

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »
@jbarot

Wait. I live near there. PM Sent!
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »
Wait. I live near there. PM Sent!

@free2rock
Oops my bad. PM sent

with regard to the african mahogany. Here are some pics from the supplier in CDO.

my dad always alway wants me to intruduce myself as a representative of our comapany and ask if I can purcahse a small amount for samples. Most of the wood suppliers here in our country will never sell their stocks in small amounts, and dont expect them to cut a specific size unless your going to buy the whole lot. Good thing my dad has a registered company (small one :-D) which we use in purchasing wood for his hobby. 

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »
The one near ortigas is by appointment (I think). Last time I was there was 3-4 years ago.

Thank God I remember the site.
http://www.idewood.com/index.php?pid=8 <===Their wharehouse is in pasig.

Do I smell a fieldtrip? :lol:

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »

^jbarot WASsing :-D :-D :-D
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
cooool!

for instrument grade we're looking for straight grained.  the wavey figure is nice and all but its not stable enough to withstand all the string tension.  see if you can negotiate/handpick the straight grained ones

i do smell a fieldtrip :evil:

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2011, 06:07:46 PM »
cooool!

for instrument grade we're looking for straight grained.  the wavey figure is nice and all but its not stable enough to withstand all the string tension.  see if you can negotiate/handpick the straight grained ones

i do smell a fieldtrip :evil:

Ok. I'll ask them tom.

The philippine rosewood that I stated before is identical to the ones in the site. I'll ask my dad's contact in pasig to schedule our mini fieldtrip. I guess free2rock is also intrested in going.  :mrgreen:

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
The one near ortigas is by appointment (I think). Last time I was there was 3-4 years ago.

Thank God I remember the site.
http://www.idewood.com/index.php?pid=8 <===Their wharehouse is in pasig.

Do I smell a fieldtrip? :lol:

philippine rosewood!  curious..very curious.  :-D

based on their site, looks like their main office is in Makati. 

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2011, 06:23:15 PM »
philippine rosewood!  curious..very curious.  :-D

based on their site, looks like their main office is in Makati.  

Yup but their warehouse is in pasig area. They told me that philippine rosewoods are mainly use as floorings for boats and kitchenware. I'll try to post some pics of it tom.

Offline alex_kayat

« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2011, 06:32:33 PM »
isama nyo ko dyan sa fieldtrip !  :mrgreen:

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »

^jbarot WASsing :-D :-D :-D

sorry for the delay.  had to clean the keyboard.  drooled all over it :lol:

there is no such thing as philippine rosewood.  like philippine mahogany it does not exist.  trust me i checked.

i'm really interested in the plantation mahogany.  its honduran mahogany man!  if we should get mahogany i suggest that this is the one we get.

count me in for the field trip
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:41:41 PM by jbarot »

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
@jbarot.
- I'll arrange an appointment with the sales person Sir Jun. Next saturday would be great.  :-D

@alex_kayat
- sure.  :-)

Offline alex_kayat

« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2011, 06:47:48 PM »
How much profit sa pang plant ng mahogany or narra? Also how long does it take to grow for producing lumber?

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2011, 06:51:30 PM »
How much profit sa pang plant ng mahogany or narra? Also how long does it take to grow for producing lumber?

a long time.  for instrument grade the log should be at least a 2 meters in diameter.  if this works out i don't know where to put the stash without my wife noticing!  hehehehe

Offline alex_kayat

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »
a long time.  for instrument grade the log should be at least a 2 meters in diameter.  if this works out i don't know where to put the stash without my wife noticing!  hehehehe

Naku bka, nde kna abutin ang pag harvest. Mango nalang pala itatanim ko  :-D

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »
nice thread. since tropical naman ang bansa natin, i'm sure malaki ang potential natin for wood with good tonal characteristics. sana lang wag nating tangkilikin yung mga illegal na pagputol ng mga puno at pag-ubos sa kagubatan.
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »
there is no such thing as philippine rosewood.  like philippine mahogany it does not exist.  trust me i checked.

then what would you call the rosewood mentioned in the website bro?  indian rosewood perhaps?

buti malapit lang yung warehouse!  not in a far-flung province!   :-D

Offline haxo55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2011, 11:56:16 PM »

gusto ko yan ah, pwede na rin pang project guitar no? hehe
:D
Quote from: Philmusic.com
News:
oh yeah, our search engine is powered by Chuck Norris as well

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2011, 12:45:56 AM »
then what would you call the rosewood mentioned in the website bro?  indian rosewood perhaps?

buti malapit lang yung warehouse!  not in a far-flung province!   :-D

I believe it not an indian rosewood. My strat fretboard has a different grain pattern and if it is I'm one hell of a lucky guy for having an 8ft board. :-D

I wasn't able to took pictures of some of my woods live I have as promised. But thankfully I saw some scraps of the said P. Rosewood on my wife's desk (she use it as paperweight :-D).

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:47:23 AM by redballs17 »