hulika

Author Topic: Local wood for guitar body  (Read 130885 times)

Offline AhVia_Musicom

Re: Local wood for guitar body
« Reply #325 on: February 28, 2011, 11:34:29 PM »
:-D   <------------

hehehehehehe! im just a PM away

@ JB will make a trip to the saw mill before we go together para sure muna ako kung saan tayo mag papa resaw nung wood mo,

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #326 on: February 28, 2011, 11:42:47 PM »
@AhVia

Nice pines you got there bro. Might drop by to your place this week.

now we know a place that has a jointer for those blanks hehehehehe
14 inch bandsaw na lang

@Jb

I saw a shop on my way to work that has huge power tools. Will try to ask them tom.  :-D

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2011, 05:09:22 AM »
those Phil RW planks look like the real deal.  tho i wouldn't use them for acoustic guitar back and sides, they would look pretty good as fingerboard wood.  those pine blanks have pretty good grain pattern too!  :-D

actually yamaha used toog for back and sides in the early 70s then they switched to laminates.  i don't know why they stopped using them, but i suspect its reason is economics rather than TONE.  (i'm beginning to hate this word hehehe).  i think the taptone is similar to maple (its as heavy as maple tho more porous), but you'll never know until it becomes a guitar.  we'll find out  :-D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:07:33 AM by jbarot »

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #328 on: March 01, 2011, 08:55:13 AM »
actually yamaha used toog for back and sides in the early 70s then they switched to laminates.  i don't know why they stopped using them, but i suspect its reason is economics rather than TONE.  (i'm beginning to hate this word hehehe).  i think the taptone is similar to maple (its as heavy as maple tho more porous), but you'll never know until it becomes a guitar.  we'll find out  :-D

violin makers also use philippine rosewood as FB  hehehehehe

Redballs! sige puntahan natin tapos dalhin natin si JB dun, txt mo lang ako pag gusto mo pumunta sa shop

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #329 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »
Saan banda ito?  Sana may drum sander din

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #330 on: March 01, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »
violin makers also use philippine rosewood as FB  hehehehehe

Redballs! sige puntahan natin tapos dalhin natin si JB dun, txt mo lang ako pag gusto mo pumunta sa shop

Bad news guys,

Went to batasan area a while ago, too bad the shop I saw yesterday was still closed. I've talked to someone there and he said that their bandsaw is underpowered for hardwoods. :-(

Anyways like, AhVia said, there's lots of shop in the area.  :-D

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #331 on: March 01, 2011, 08:33:57 PM »
@AhVia

Nice pines you got there bro. Might drop by to your place this week.

@Jb

I saw a shop on my way to work that has huge power tools. Will try to ask them tom.  :-D

Daming mga power tools ngayon. Just make don't get those China ones.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #332 on: March 01, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »
Daming mga power tools ngayon. Just make don't get those China ones.

i wish marami paring MIJ, MIA, or euro made tools unfortunately even the newer makita's yes makita not the lower end maktecs are MIC, to name a few others, dewalt, grizzly, hitachi, even other american tool companies nag MIC narin chambahan lang atsaka not all MIC tools are crap may magaganda din mag perform depende rin minsan yan sa gumagamit, pero as much as possible i buy MIJ tools but a have a whole arsenal of tested and proven MIC tools too

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #333 on: March 01, 2011, 11:09:10 PM »
hehehehehehe! im just a PM away

i'll get in touch with you tomorrow as well.  :-D
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #334 on: March 01, 2011, 11:17:19 PM »
i'll get in touch with you tomorrow as well.  :-D

you know how to reach me hehehehehehe

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #335 on: March 02, 2011, 01:03:18 AM »
TOOLS
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #336 on: March 02, 2011, 05:33:12 AM »

i wish marami paring MIJ, MIA, or euro made tools unfortunately even the newer makita's yes makita not the lower end maktecs are MIC, to name a few others, dewalt, grizzly, hitachi, even other american tool companies nag MIC narin chambahan lang atsaka not all MIC tools are crap may magaganda din mag perform depende rin minsan yan sa gumagamit, pero as much as possible i buy MIJ tools but a have a whole arsenal of tested and proven MIC tools too

There are al lot of 2nd hand tools nowadays, mostly surplus dealers are selling them. In Bulacan alone each time I travel I I see about 4 shops that sell surplus tools from Japan and Australia.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #337 on: March 02, 2011, 05:34:22 AM »

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #338 on: March 02, 2011, 06:42:02 AM »

almost everything now is made in china.  my porter cable router and laminate trimmer are made in mexico.
i think made in china power tools are ok, but one thing i am picky about are my router bits and blades.  since they're the ones that are in contact with the workpiece they have to be sharp and of good quality.  nothing worse than a blunt bit.  it ruins your wood and may even cause injuries

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #339 on: March 02, 2011, 08:40:51 AM »
There are al lot of 2nd hand tools nowadays, mostly surplus dealers are selling them. In Bulacan alone each time I travel I I see about 4 shops that sell surplus tools from Japan and Australia.

those surplus from aussie land is also china made most of the time ryobi, ozito etc...

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #340 on: March 02, 2011, 08:45:41 AM »
almost everything now is made in china.  my porter cable router and laminate trimmer are made in mexico.
i think made in china power tools are ok, but one thing i am picky about are my router bits and blades.  since they're the ones that are in contact with the workpiece they have to be sharp and of good quality.  nothing worse than a blunt bit.  it ruins your wood and may even cause injuries

agree! my band saw blades are MIA and German made hehehehehe my router bits are also good quality tried using china bits before its tear out city

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #341 on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »
I recently busted my hand drill which is made in japan. It has been with us for more than a decade, so I decided to retire it and purchase a new one. For home use I decided to go with the same brand but MIC. Although my old one feels more powerful and sturdy, I don’t have any regrets on buying the MIC. It still serves its purpose.

In our country its hard to ignore MIC products especially if your on a budget or it would just be for home use. The only assurance that you’ll get a good one is to remain on branded products. As long as it has a warranty and service center, your on the safe zone.  Just be careful on imitations.

+1 on buying quality bits.

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #342 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
Another thing I do is that I dedicate certain tools for certain tasks only.  Like my tools for fretting, they never do anything else.   There are other saws and files for other things.  It's kind of costly but to me it's more practical in the long run, and for fretting, everything has to be in accurate shape.

Same with my hand planes, some are used for general shaving but some are dedicated to a few jobs only.  That's why I have lots of them hehehehe.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:04:00 PM by jbarot »

Offline quaternotetriplet

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2011, 12:25:45 PM »
wala bang sample builds dyan.. medyo OT
h

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #344 on: March 02, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »
wala bang sample builds dyan.. medyo OT
I'm currently building a 7 string hollow body.  It's been sitting on my table for weeks now, because I was either not in the mood to work with it or I would rather spend time with my family. 
I just got frets from miko so there's no excuse form me to not to work on it.  So all I need to do is to fret it, figure out the bridge placement, French polish it and put electronics and string it up.  Hehehe!  I really should finish it.
I put up a thread here, it's somewhere in this forum.  I should really update it. :-D

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »
I'm currently building a 7 string hollow body.  It's been sitting on my table for weeks now, because I was either not in the mood to work with it or I would rather spend time with my family. 
I just got frets from miko so there's no excuse form me to not to work on it.  So all I need to do is to fret it, figure out the bridge placement, French polish it and put electronics and string it up.  Hehehe!  I really should finish it.
I put up a thread here, it's somewhere in this forum.  I should really update it. :-D

I'm watching Jbarot's build. I could use tips here.

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #346 on: March 05, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »

JB eric found a sash factory that will resaw the toog for us he had his resawn already might take the trip this monday need to have the pine pass thru the jointer, baka next month bili narin ako nang jointer and a bigger bandsaw for resawing para less hassle, regarding the drum sander will need to ask somebody if he will be kind enough to let us use his drum sander

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #347 on: March 05, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »
mga master, kailangan nyo po ba ng sung-il & wilkinson parts? :-D
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #348 on: March 05, 2011, 11:02:47 PM »
JB eric found a sash factory that will resaw the toog for us he had his resawn already might take the trip this monday need to have the pine pass thru the jointer, baka next month bili narin ako nang jointer and a bigger bandsaw for resawing para less hassle, regarding the drum sander will need to ask somebody if he will be kind enough to let us use his drum sander

Its just 10 mins away from sandigan bayan. I'll PM you the map tom.  :-)

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #349 on: March 05, 2011, 11:07:01 PM »
mga master, kailangan nyo po ba ng sung-il & wilkinson parts? :-D

PM sent  :-D