hulika

Author Topic: Local wood for guitar body  (Read 130891 times)

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Local wood for guitar body
« Reply #400 on: March 11, 2011, 10:27:07 AM »
^ nice. tapusin na yaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn.....  :-D
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #401 on: March 11, 2011, 11:02:33 AM »
a strat im working on unfortunately the owner nag karoon nang financial trouble may neck narin eto, nakiusap kung pwede halt muna ang trabaho

this tele paint nalang, completo na to neck, and all the hardwares might sparay it next week (Hopefully)

very nice looking bodies!  are both of these pine?  :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #402 on: March 11, 2011, 11:03:13 AM »

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #403 on: March 11, 2011, 11:07:15 AM »
pine yan maxi.  unless miko has some secret mystery tonewood stash that he's hiding from us... :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #404 on: March 11, 2011, 11:16:13 AM »
pine yan maxi.  unless miko has some secret mystery tonewood stash that he's hiding from us... :-D

yung grains kasi nung strat is very similar to ash kaya ako nagtanong.  me wants an ash body!  :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #405 on: March 11, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
daming QS sa US you can order it, dito saatin chambahan, taga cebu ka naman bro diba? ask troy he can probably help you acquire some QS neck blank, even soft maple is hard hehehehe

hindi ako taga-Cebu bro.  taga-Manila ako.   :-D

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #406 on: March 11, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »
@maxi
- yup its ash.  :-D

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #407 on: March 11, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »
yung grains kasi nung strat is very similar to ash kaya ako nagtanong.  me wants an ash body!  :-D

Yesterday when I was looking in eBay I saw an ash body blank with nobody bidding, staring bid was at $20 and there was 6 minutes left.  I should have chimed you in.  I don't know how much the shipping is and if they even ship here, but for twenty bucks and even if the shipping is at fifty, I think you'll still be up ahead.

Next time I'll let you know when I see something interesting.

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #408 on: March 11, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »
@maxi
- yup its ash.  :-D

I was wrong on pine, right on miko having a secret stash :lol:

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #409 on: March 11, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »
I was wrong on pine, right on miko having a secret stash :lol:

:lol:

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #410 on: March 11, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
@maxi
- yup its ash.  :-D

thanks bro!  is that strat for you?  how light is it?  :-)

Yesterday when I was looking in eBay I saw an ash body blank with nobody bidding, staring bid was at $20 and there was 6 minutes left.  I should have chimed you in.  I don't know how much the shipping is and if they even ship here, but for twenty bucks and even if the shipping is at fifty, I think you'll still be up ahead.

Next time I'll let you know when I see something interesting.

that's a bit risky for me bro since i wouldn't know the quality of the ash body until it arrives here.  i want my ash to be light, if possible as light as pine.  but thanks for checking eBay!  i think i can talk to Ahvia if he has more ash in his stash.  :-)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:28:56 PM by maxi_musikero »

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #411 on: March 11, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »

Nope. I wish it was mine though.  :lol:

With regards to the weight, I think it’s lighter than the average strat bodies. He told me that he’s  very particular in choosing the lightest ash he can possibly find.

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #412 on: March 11, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
mga woodsman !  :-D
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #413 on: March 11, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »

that's a bit risky for me bro since i wouldn't know the quality of the ash body until it arrives here.  i want my ash to be light, if possible as light as pine.  but thanks for checking eBay!  i think i can talk to Ahvia if he has more ash in his stash.  :-)

may naaamoy ako.............cough*strat*cough :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #414 on: March 11, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »
may naaamoy ako.............cough*strat*cough :-D

mali ang naamoy mo pare.  :lol:

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #415 on: March 11, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
Miko I can make the trip next Wednesday.  It's been a very busy week.  Let's make the sked  :-)

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #416 on: March 11, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
mali ang naamoy mo pare.  :lol:

hahaha...........defensive  :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #417 on: March 11, 2011, 04:16:35 PM »
a strat im working on unfortunately the owner nag karoon nang financial trouble may neck narin eto, nakiusap kung pwede halt muna ang trabaho

this tele paint nalang, completo na to neck, and all the hardwares might sparay it next week (Hopefully)

when will you start the finishing process for these babies bro?  can't wait to see them!  :-D

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2011, 12:55:09 AM »
:-)

@free2rock -D sya actually medyo chunky

@maxi - my wood selection nowadays are the lighter the better as for the tele its abit on the heavy side dati kasi d ako mabusisi sa weight pero ngayon thats one of the first thing i check ( strat weights a tad light though) not too light sakto lang, the finish on the tele will be butterscotch blonde, butterscotch or white blonde  or basta dyan dyan sa mga kulay na yan, sa strat naman natural it would be a crime to put color or tint with a grain like that hehehhehehe, will check kung may available na board na 14in wide by 2in thick will let you know para pwede kang mag 1pc body a 2x14x10 board will set you back at around 5000-6000 pesos thats good for around 6 strat or tele body blanks tapos may sobra pang konti

@JB -  nah no secret stash, those are just ash veneers over birch plywood body, im a believer of plywood guitars like most of the great sounding vintage jap guitars na mga ply hehehehehehe joke lang ash yan its no secret just forgot to mention it hehehehehehehe

@redballs - pareng erik na mention ko pala na mahilig na ako sa light bodies ,the kalantas i have right now is really light and i have a board that just rings and sustains everywhere, set mo kung kailan natin uumpisahan yung tele mo hehehehe alam mo naman na welcome ka to use my small "shop"

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2011, 01:02:27 AM »
@maxi - my wood selection nowadays are the lighter the better as for the tele its abit on the heavy side dati kasi d ako mabusisi sa weight pero ngayon thats one of the first thing i check ( strat weights a tad light though) not too light sakto lang, the finish on the tele will be butterscotch blonde, butterscotch or white blonde  or basta dyan dyan sa mga kulay na yan, sa strat naman natural it would be a crime to put color or tint with a grain like that hehehhehehe, will check kung may available na board na 14in wide by 2in thick will let you know para pwede kang mag 1pc body a 2x14x10 board will set you back at around 5000-6000 pesos thats good for around 6 strat or tele body blanks tapos may sobra pang konti

that's great man!  1-piece ash is the way to go!  you might want to check Gil Yaron's 50s strat build.  his sunburst over ash body is just killer.  lutang pa rin ang grain ng wood.

isang guitar lang naman kailangan ko.  let's talk via text na lang.  i'll contact you on Sunday (may event kasi si kumander bukas lol).  :-D

@JB -  nah no secret stash, those are just ash veneers over birch plywood body, im a believer of plywood guitars like most of the great sounding vintage jap guitars na mga ply hehehehehehe joke lang ash yan its no secret just forgot to mention it hehehehehehehe

kinabahan ako dito.  buti na lang binawi sa huli.  :lol:

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #420 on: March 12, 2011, 01:16:36 AM »
that's great man!  1-piece ash is the way to go!  you might want to check Gil Yaron's 50s strat build.  his sunburst over ash body is just killer.  lutang pa rin ang grain ng wood.

isang guitar lang naman kailangan ko.  let's talk via text na lang.  i'll contact you on Sunday (may event kasi si kumander bukas lol).  :-D

kinabahan ako dito.  buti na lang binawi sa huli.  :lol:

hehehehe Gil is my biggest influence, d ko kaya sabayan ang detail nya but sya ang benchmark na gusto kong maabot someday hahahaha libre mangarap basta saakin hobby lang to pantangal lang nang stress d ko hanap buhay to and ayaw ko din nang pressure, minsan pag na sestress ako pag my time pumupunta lang ako sa shop tapos gagawa nang d ko nanamamalayan na gabi na pala masarap gawing hobby just look at JB kaya idol ko din yan hehehehehe

regarding ply d nga daming magagandang tunog na ply as long as d mo alam na ply ok lang but the moment na malaman mo usually nawawalan ka na nang gana like a friend of mine nag dala nang ibanez rg 380 mij saakin nilaliman ko yung bridge pickup cavity when i was routing nagulat ako kasi pulbo  yung kahoy usually kasi parang maliliit na curls so nacurious ako later on na realize ko para syang MDF or particle board ayaw ko na sana sabihin sa owner but i did disappointed sya sabi ko nga sakanya eh hangat naibibigay naman yung tone na gusto mo d na nag mamatter kung ano ang kahoy hehehe pampalubag loob lang bagsak kasi mukha, meron din sinangla sa tatay ko fender japan 1pc maple neck ply yung body ambigat hahahahaha

regarding ash the thing is you cant buy ash saatin na good for 1 guitar body lang you have to buy the whole board, pagusapan nalang natin if ever gawin natin group buy para tipid or pag bumili ako kumuha ka nalang nang pang 1 body blank from me hehehehe
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:19:34 AM by AhVia_Musicom »

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2011, 01:21:47 AM »
Miko I can make the trip next Wednesday.  It's been a very busy week.  Let's make the sked  :-)

ok JB set natin coordinate ko sayo off kasi ni commander sa sunday kaya malamang next off nya thursday pa naman kaya mukhang pwede sa Wed :)

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #422 on: March 12, 2011, 04:07:34 AM »
that's great man!  1-piece ash is the way to go!  you might want to check Gil Yaron's 50s strat build.  his sunburst over ash body is just killer.  lutang pa rin ang grain ng wood.

I saved almost all the pictures of that build in a folder in my computer! LOL

Dream guitar ko na siguro yun. That might be the closest you can get to owning a vintage 50s or 60s strat. Not bad for 5k USD. Hehehe
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2011, 06:24:13 AM »
Maganda rin pala pine for natural finish.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #424 on: March 12, 2011, 08:15:10 AM »
my favorite tele luthier is a guy named rick kelly of carmine street guitars in nyc.  his favorite builds are pine teles, and he has pine boards from an old hotel thats more than 100 years old. and ash thats been salvaged from a bridge in the south USA.

although his guitars are sought after by musicians (ge smith, richard thompson,and lou reed are among them)  his base prices are under 2k.  
he doesn't have a website, he hates email, he prefers phone calls.  old school talaga hehehe
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:28:04 AM by jbarot »