hulika

Author Topic: Local wood for guitar body  (Read 130917 times)

Offline mandarin

• Veteran Member
Re: Local wood for guitar body
« Reply #500 on: March 23, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »
probably not.  personally i'm not a fan of fancy inlay.  they're the first to break/fall off over time.  plus i'm not good at it :lol:

ok din ako sa simple inlays for a 19th century copy.. btw, confirmed na pala na 2 lacote copies ang next project mo :) same back and side tonewood to pre? antabayanan ko yung build. hehehe

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #501 on: March 23, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
Mikko are those the planks we dug up at the warehouse? Looking good.

Btw, I got a fly cutter from han's and I'm going to try it out in making wood rossete  rings today.  A tool review maybe?  :-D

hehehehehe yeah JB thats the one :) the loacote is taking shape can wait to test it when its done

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #502 on: March 23, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »
ok din ako sa simple inlays for a 19th century copy.. btw, confirmed na pala na 2 lacote copies ang next project mo :) same back and side tonewood to pre? antabayanan ko yung build. hehehe

yep.  i'm trying the toog for back and sides.  looks promising, i like the taptone. its a bit heavier than mahogany and as dense as maple, but very porous.  i think it will make a great sounding guitar, plus its quartersawn!

if they don't turn out great (personally i think that this is unlikely) i can make one with indian rosewood or even cypress.  we'll see...

hehehehehe yeah JB thats the one :) the loacote is taking shape can wait to test it when its done

need to run it under a drum sander first hehehe

Offline mandarin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #503 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »

yep.  i'm trying the toog for back and sides.  looks promising, i like the taptone. its a bit heavier than mahogany and as dense as maple, but very porous.  i think it will make a great sounding guitar, plus its quartersawn!
think ok din yung
if they don't turn out great (personally i think that this is unlikely) i can make one with indian rosewood or even cypress.  we'll see...

need to run it under a drum sander first hehehe

most guitar pieces from 19th century have way too many notes that they are best played with a guitar with very distinct note separation - bagay yung maple and other tonewoods that have the same tonal characteristics as maple. i think ok yung toog based sa characteristics na na-mention mo.

cedar, typically will not have more clear note separation than spruce but having a back and sides with similar properties with mahogany may do the trick - i've heard a cedar/mahogany steel string that projects well - malakas yung fundamentals with subtle overtones :)

good luck bro

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #504 on: March 24, 2011, 03:30:09 AM »
ayus sir. finish na yan? bagay dyan wilkinson bridge  :-D

hehehe this one has a fender bridge with compensated saddles next time baka wilk naman

@maxi yes its more than enough for a 1 pc top plate or a top and back for future 17in archtop build im planning

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #505 on: March 24, 2011, 04:16:32 AM »
Sabi sakin Tangile is in the family of Philippine mahogany din..

Yep, Tangile and Lauan (and several other woods) are also called Philippine Mahogany commercially speaking because the grains are somewhat similar to your typical African and Honduran Mahogany but these two (Tangile and Lauan) are under Dipterocarpacea Family.

Dipterocarpacea = Dipterocarps
Meliaceae = Mahogany

Take note that taxonomic classification is based on sex organs, namely, flowers, not on the grains of woods.

BTW, where did you get kalantas?
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #506 on: March 24, 2011, 04:50:23 AM »
ahvia, forget me not! lol

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #507 on: March 24, 2011, 01:18:36 PM »
hello mga masters good morning.. may nakagamit na ba dito ng paulownia wood as guitar body ? anong masasabi niyo ?

ok kaya to ? ang mura kasi hehe

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-Sunburst-Lightweight-Sratocaster-Style-Body_p_2071.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Telecaster-Style-Body-Lightweight-Paulownia-Gloss-Black_p_2061.html

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #508 on: March 24, 2011, 01:26:26 PM »
hello mga masters good morning.. may nakagamit na ba dito ng paulownia wood as guitar body ? anong masasabi niyo ?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-Sunburst-Lightweight-Sratocaster-Style-Body_p_2071.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Telecaster-Style-Body-Lightweight-Paulownia-Gloss-Black_p_2061.html

Pre all I know about it is that it's a fast growing wood from Asia.  No experience with it at all.  Sorry bro

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #509 on: March 24, 2011, 02:02:20 PM »

maraming available na ganyang wood locally.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #510 on: March 24, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
maraming available na ganyang wood locally.

as in buo na rin shape ng guitar body ? or wood plank ? kasi yang sa guitar fetish ok na eh may paint na rin just for $49.95 = 2k Php parang sobrang sulit ipapasabay shipping sa balikbayan box hehe. parang mas mapapamahal pa kung bibili nga ng mura na plank dito sa pinas tapos papa shape mo pa sa luthier at paint tama ba ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:19:34 PM by bugoy »

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #511 on: March 24, 2011, 05:56:04 PM »
as in buo na rin shape ng guitar body ? or wood plank ? kasi yang sa guitar fetish ok na eh may paint na rin just for $49.95 = 2k Php parang sobrang sulit ipapasabay shipping sa balikbayan box hehe. parang mas mapapamahal pa kung bibili nga ng mura na plank dito sa pinas tapos papa shape mo pa sa luthier at paint tama ba ?

bro you also have to consider the acclimation time for imported wood.  its very humid here so expect it to swell up.  i suggest if you should buy imported wood to let it sit for at least 6 months before using.  or 1 year per inch thick.

ah via can hook you up with killer wood.  i've seen his work (and his wood stash) and i recommend it. just ask him

Offline mandarin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #512 on: March 24, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
redwood:

hi jb

is it just me or meron talagang nip yung pagkaka cut ng redwood top ?

i believe nahahabol pa naman yan sa paglagay ng purflings/bindings

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #513 on: March 24, 2011, 06:37:34 PM »
hi jb

is it just me or meron talagang nip yung pagkaka cut ng redwood top ?

i believe nahahabol pa naman yan sa paglagay ng purflings/bindings

its a nip.  hindi aabot sa purflings and bindings but i'll glue a tiny wedge on the nick so so that it wont think about cracking.  more surface area for the kerfings to hold on to before i cut.

the thing with redwood is that its very brittle with the grain.  across the grain its very very stiff.  its also very soft and dents easily.  like working with dynamite hehehe

Offline mandarin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #514 on: March 24, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
its a nip.  hindi aabot sa purflings and bindings but i'll glue a tiny wedge on the nick so so that it wont think about cracking.  more surface area for the kerfings to hold on to before i cut.

the thing with redwood is that its very brittle with the grain.  across the grain its very very stiff.  its also very soft and dents easily.  like working with dynamite hehehe

i see..

it's a dynamite indeed.. my parlor guitar has western red cedar top and indian rosewood back and sides -- a small guitar yet a canon in terms of volume

post ka ng progress pics ha :D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #515 on: March 24, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »
it's a dynamite indeed.. my parlor guitar has western red cedar top and indian rosewood back and sides -- a small guitar yet a canon in terms of volume

i agree!  i was able to experience first hand kung gano kaganda yung projection ng parlour classical ni Joseph!  masterfully built!
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #516 on: March 24, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »
bro you also have to consider the acclimation time for imported wood.  its very humid here so expect it to swell up.  i suggest if you should buy imported wood to let it sit for at least 6 months before using.  or 1 year per inch thick.

ah via can hook you up with killer wood.  i've seen his work (and his wood stash) and i recommend it. just ask him

thanks sa reply, may idea ka kung magkano aabutin overall kahit estimate lang kung kukuha ng paulownia + pa shape as strat body then pa paint as 3 tone sunburst ? yung pag shape ba sa body at paint siya na rin ang gagawa or nagbebenta lang talaga siya ng wood ? thanks man!

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #517 on: March 25, 2011, 07:13:45 AM »
thanks sa reply, may idea ka kung magkano aabutin overall kahit estimate lang kung kukuha ng paulownia + pa shape as strat body then pa paint as 3 tone sunburst ? yung pag shape ba sa body at paint siya na rin ang gagawa or nagbebenta lang talaga siya ng wood ? thanks man!

no idea bro.  sorry...

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #518 on: March 25, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »
share ko lang mga home made guitars ko

mahogany singlecut guitar with floyd trem

trem and control cavity routing

with ESP/Grassroots 24 fret F-series neck installed

This spot is for lease. Please message me for details.

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #519 on: March 25, 2011, 03:35:44 PM »
can't afford a Jackson Kelly so I made one

made from 2 slabs of solid mahogany

I may replace the bridge with a floyd pag sinipag na ulit

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #520 on: March 25, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »
nice work!  what finish do you use for the body?
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #521 on: March 25, 2011, 03:53:39 PM »
The guitars are finished with a combination of oil- and solvent-based woodstains. The topcoat si automotive polyurethane(Anzahl,Nax)depending on what the painter is using on a customer's car.Pinapasingit ko lang kasi sa shop nung kakilala ko.hehe.pag me sobrang paint,yun ang pinapagamit ko.Yung ibang guitars ko kasi painted and with graphics.

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #522 on: March 25, 2011, 09:09:42 PM »
very nice work :-)

Offline noiska

« Reply #523 on: March 25, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

Parang pimples.

it's like a coco lumber. lol
 :-D

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2011, 10:54:37 PM »
very nice work :-)

JB!

remember the necks you showed me that you made the one with scarf joints? till today i only use 1 pc neck billet for angled headstock necks then our trip gave me the guts to try scarf joint tried it yesterday un-clamped it kanina tried stress testing it stepping on it without truss rod or fretboard bare mahogany lang tapered already yung headstock part lang ang wala pang shape i was surprised na d bumigay or nag crack ( i had a PWEDE moment) hehehehehe thanks for educating me 

bad news my gout is killing me right now my right feet is swelling and i can barely stand up this is my 3rd attack and probably this is a good thing cause now im really motivated to change my diet and lifestyle this is my most painfull episode i wonder why everytime i get in the mood for a build this always happens hehehehe

anyways sorry OT

j-sonic nice work, have you tried making your own necks? i love the dinky