hulika

Author Topic: Local wood for guitar body  (Read 130852 times)

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Local wood for guitar body
« Reply #525 on: March 26, 2011, 01:11:07 AM »
JB!

remember the necks you showed me that you made the one with scarf joints? till today i only use 1 pc neck billet for angled headstock necks then our trip gave me the guts to try scarf joint tried it yesterday un-clamped it kanina tried stress testing it stepping on it without truss rod or fretboard bare mahogany lang tapered already yung headstock part lang ang wala pang shape i was surprised na d bumigay or nag crack ( i had a PWEDE moment) hehehehehe thanks for educating me 

bad news my gout is killing me right now my right feet is swelling and i can barely stand up this is my 3rd attack and probably this is a good thing cause now im really motivated to change my diet and lifestyle this is my most painfull episode i wonder why everytime i get in the mood for a build this always happens hehehehe

anyways sorry OT

j-sonic nice work, have you tried making your own necks? i love the dinky

sorry to hear that mikko. I hope you get well soon.

Anyways I'm still looking forward to your pine build. I hope someday you can show others how detailed your work is.  :-)

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #526 on: March 26, 2011, 06:14:21 AM »
JB!

remember the necks you showed me that you made the one with scarf joints? till today i only use 1 pc neck billet for angled headstock necks then our trip gave me the guts to try scarf joint tried it yesterday un-clamped it kanina tried stress testing it stepping on it without truss rod or fretboard bare mahogany lang tapered already yung headstock part lang ang wala pang shape i was surprised na d bumigay or nag crack ( i had a PWEDE moment) hehehehehe thanks for educating me 

bad news my gout is killing me right now my right feet is swelling and i can barely stand up this is my 3rd attack and probably this is a good thing cause now im really motivated to change my diet and lifestyle this is my most painfull episode i wonder why everytime i get in the mood for a build this always happens hehehehe

anyways sorry OT

get well soon mikko.  gout is painful i heard.

i love scarf joints!  they're tough and economical.  although it doesn't need it, i often put a back plate to further strengthen the joint.  if i don't want the backplate obvious i put a similar wood as the plate. 

did you have trouble clamping the joint?  it often slips out of place hehehe

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #527 on: March 26, 2011, 07:50:12 AM »
sorry to hear that mikko. I hope you get well soon.

Anyways I'm still looking forward to your pine build. I hope someday you can show others how detailed your work is.  :-)

thanks pare dont worry matatapos din yan hopefully 1 week lang to tapos makakagawa na ulit ako, tigas kasi nang ulo ko alam ko naman ano bawal wake up call narin siguro hehehehehe

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #528 on: March 26, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
thanks pare dont worry matatapos din yan hopefully 1 week lang to tapos makakagawa na ulit ako, tigas kasi nang ulo ko alam ko naman ano bawal wake up call narin siguro hehehehehe

does that mean we cant get together for a few beers? :-D

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #529 on: March 26, 2011, 09:59:01 AM »
does that mean we cant get together for a few beers? :-D

1 bottle lang ako JB if ever beer is a big no no for a person with gout but if we dont do it often pwede naman siguro will ask my physician first, btw JB when you glue your scarf joint neck how long do you clamp it? thanks

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #530 on: March 26, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »

hope everything's ok bro.  alam ko magandang panlaban sa gout ang dark chocolates and regular exercise.  :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #531 on: March 26, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »
, btw JB when you glue your scarf joint neck how long do you clamp it? thanks

i clamp for an hour (or 2 depending on the humidity) then i leave it alone for at least 24 hours for the glue to cure

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #532 on: March 26, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »
get well soon mikko.  gout is painful i heard.

i love scarf joints!  they're tough and economical.  although it doesn't need it, i often put a back plate to further strengthen the joint.  if i don't want the backplate obvious i put a similar wood as the plate. 

did you have trouble clamping the joint?  it often slips out of place hehehe

will try what you did with yours with laminated strip sa center nextime, and will put back plate too hehehehe

on my first try yes i had to remove all the glue and retried it clamped the longer part to make it steady and so is the short  part of the neck material then clamped sa center madali lang pala salamat talaga JB

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #533 on: March 26, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »
i clamp for an hour (or 2 depending on the humidity) then i leave it alone for at least 24 hours for the glue to cure

jb bale you clamp it for 2 hrs then un-clamp it and leave it for 24hrs tama ba or you clamp it then after 24hrs un clamp? hehehehe sorry gulo ata nang tanong ko

@ maxi d nga dark chocolates? hehehehehe

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #534 on: March 26, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
jb bale you clamp it for 2 hrs then un-clamp it and leave it for 24hrs tama ba or you clamp it then after 24hrs un clamp? hehehehe sorry gulo ata nang tanong ko

@ maxi d nga dark chocolates? hehehehehe

ish ok.   :-D
clamp for two hours.  unclamp, leave it alone for 24.  kung talagang praning ka ok din yung 24.  which i do when i glue bridges to the top.
what glue do you use? 

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #535 on: March 26, 2011, 02:46:13 PM »
ish ok.   :-D
clamp for two hours.  unclamp, leave it alone for 24.  kung talagang praning ka ok din yung 24.  which i do when i glue bridges to the top.
what glue do you use? 

last bottle of titebond hehehe kailangan nang umoreder

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #536 on: March 26, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »
last bottle of titebond hehehe kailangan nang umoreder

hook me up with titebond too when you get a chance

Offline josh_rock45

• Netizen Level
« Reply #537 on: March 27, 2011, 04:26:37 PM »
this is my wood..i dont know the classification of it,,but im intend to make it for top not wings,could be my main tone block but not as is as solid wood..cause this is absolutely a barbel if  use it as a whole..dimensions are 12in X 3in X 8ft and 7in X 2in X 7ft.. :-)

http://s1133.photobucket.com/upload/albums/josh_rock45/?location=my%20wood

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #538 on: March 27, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »
very nice work :-)
thanks!like your work,too.
This spot is for lease. Please message me for details.

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #539 on: March 27, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
JB!

anyways sorry OT

Thanks! I've been thinking of making my own necks but I lack the confidence to do it.baka masira,sayang.I'll be following this thread.there's a lot to learn from you guys.

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #540 on: March 27, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
Thanks! I've been thinking of making my own necks but I lack the confidence to do it.baka masira,sayang.I'll be following this thread.there's a lot to learn from you guys.

i have a thread on making a 7 string hollowbody.  just updated it.  it shows how i make my necks.

where do you get screws for the neck connecting the body?

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #541 on: March 27, 2011, 05:15:02 PM »
The screws and neck ferrules on the singlecut are from the original guitar body.just transferred it to the homemade one.On the kelly,I used the original neck screws then used washers from my Jeep.the original guitar had a neckplate.the washers are countersunk,10mm diameter so they were just right for my project cos I wanted a rounded neck heel.I guess necessity really is the mother of invention

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #542 on: March 27, 2011, 08:42:56 PM »
i have a thread on making a 7 string hollowbody.  just updated it.  it shows how i make my necks.

where do you get screws for the neck connecting the body?

JB when i bring you to tool heaven ill also bring you to screw landia hehehehehe

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #543 on: March 27, 2011, 10:14:19 PM »
JB when i bring you to tool heaven ill also bring you to screw landia hehehehehe

screw landia!!  i love it already!!  hahaha

actually the kamagong plank i have looks lonely.  nedd to find a matching sides set for it, lacote guitar nanaman!  hehehe

Offline AhVia_Musicom

« Reply #544 on: March 28, 2011, 02:01:15 AM »
screw landia!!  i love it already!!  hahaha

actually the kamagong plank i have looks lonely.  nedd to find a matching sides set for it, lacote guitar nanaman!  hehehe

hehehehehe screw landia!

pag available na ako this comming week and ok din sched mo puntahan natin yung isa pang source ko hopefully makasama si eric, and maging ok na paa ko

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #545 on: March 31, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »
i don't know how toog sounds as a guitar yet, but i do know that they make good looking rosettes.  only think is i suck at making them!  for some reason the circle cutter was off about 1mm on one side making an ugly gap.  need to reassess the tool...
also, i forgot to flood the veneer with super glue, and when worked my sanded through it nag-tear out.
i know how to fix and hide the breaks, but i don't know how well i'll be able to pull it off

here's the ugliness:

this was supposed to be my daughter's guitar.  see the gap? yuck.

the tear out on the mahogany veneer.  bleh...

from a distance hey look good.  i'll just ask folks to stay 5 feet away from these so that they can't see it hehehe

the glue line will disappear after further sanding. siguro babawi na lang ako sa tap tuning ng tops but for i still don't know whether to discard these tops or continue because of the flaws.  i can hide most of it, but i don't know how well my job will be.  if i were still living in the states i'd discard them because its soo easy to replace them.  now is a different story, and i feel bad rejecting good tonewood (our resources are depleting).  what do you guys think?

now do you still think that i'm any good at this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry medyo OT

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #546 on: March 31, 2011, 10:19:49 PM »
@jb

still looks nice. I'm no expert but maybe you can hide the gaps with glue & sawdust?

By the way I saw a supplier of kamagong near the sash factory. it cost 220 to 250 per bft depends on the size. the only problem is they only stock a minimal inventory but we can ask for custom sizes. They also have yakal, guiho, and molave. they are still checking if they can acquire langka and acacia from visayas.

I'll try to visit them this weekend and give you guys update. :-D

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #547 on: April 01, 2011, 07:41:08 AM »
@jb

still looks nice. I'm no expert but maybe you can hide the gaps with glue & sawdust?

By the way I saw a supplier of kamagong near the sash factory. it cost 220 to 250 per bft depends on the size. the only problem is they only stock a minimal inventory but we can ask for custom sizes. They also have yakal, guiho, and molave. they are still checking if they can acquire langka and acacia from visayas.

I'll try to visit them this weekend and give you guys update. :-D

thanks for the info eric!  please keep us posted :-)

i may have to discard the spruce and start over :-(
it just won't do.  i would like to blame the drill press, but in the end i blame myself.  sayang... :cry:

Offline mandarin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #548 on: April 01, 2011, 07:45:39 AM »
thanks for the info eric!  please keep us posted :-)

i may have to discard the spruce and start over :-(
it just won't do.  i would like to blame the drill press, but in the end i blame myself.  sayang... :cry:

yo jb.

post mo rin sa luthiers thread sa delcamp or any other forum. they will be able to help.. tapos baka may tip and tricks din sila to help you avoid the same boo-boo again

regards

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #549 on: April 01, 2011, 07:54:15 AM »
yo jb.

post mo rin sa luthiers thread sa delcamp or any other forum. they will be able to help.. tapos baka may tip and tricks din sila to help you avoid the same boo-boo again

regards

hey joseph!

i know how to fix it, but i still blame myself for it.  preventable sana yung mga boo-boos.
i didn't check the drill press if its 90 degrees.  apparently not and it caused the cutter to tilt at an angle, thus making one side of the circle a bit bigger thus making a gap.
i didn't flood the veneer with super glue kaya madaling napunit when sanded.
well, its all part of the learning process :|
i'll work on the redwood top but the spruce i'll have to start over.
man, i hate wasting a pretty good top.  maybe i'll set it aside for another project, i don't know...

thanks joseph :-)