hulika

Author Topic: Recording R&B/Hiphop Vocals  (Read 1615 times)

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
Recording R&B/Hiphop Vocals
« on: January 27, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »
first up, im not really sure whether to put this in the MTPA thread or in the vocal booth thread, but since it involves the act and technology of recording, i think it fits MTPA. :)

anyway, i was wondering if we could share tips and tricks in recording R&B/hiphop vocals. if you listen to the genre, you'd find out that there are a lot of vocal processing going on and i'd like to share some.

"the t-pain effect":
basically this is just simply using the plugin called autotune, which was made by antares, i think. if you'd listen to t-pain songs you'd find out that this is heavily used. what it does is basically correcting pitch problems automatically in accordance with a particular scale.

double tracking:
a lot of rap tracks do double tracking. simply this just means that you rap over a song, and then repeat the whole thing (or parts of it) in a separate track. you get that cool chorus effect na hindi processed yung dating. nung newbie pa ko sa recording, hazel (starfugger) was the first to suggest this over a track we did. astig.

anyway... i hope you guys could contribute especially those who have experienced producing in this genre. what i'm actually particularly interested in is how they do those harmonies na sobrang wide yung stereo field.

peace!

LouieAzcona

Re: Recording R&B/Hiphop Vocals
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »
ay may alam din ako  :lol:

so youre done with double tracking, try mo ganito: yung lead vocal, compressed, yung isa hindi compressed. maganda ang effect niya sa mga parts na malalakas.

teka. may site na puro ganyan ah. may samples pa. hanapin ko nga. matutulungan ka nito.

LouieAzcona

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:51:14 PM »

anyway... i hope you guys could contribute especially those who have experienced producing in this genre. what i'm actually particularly interested in is how they do those harmonies na sobrang wide yung stereo field.

hindi ko maalala ung site na sinasabi ko eh. try mo nalang to. makakatulong to. chka baka masagot din tanong mo tungkol sa stereo field. hanapin mo ung tungkol kay avril lavigne. baka nga tama, kailangan mo damihan ung takes sa vocals

good luck bro. chka wag kayo papadala sa takbo ng OPM ngayon. kung hip hop attitude mo, hip-hop dapat music mo. kasi hindi mo matatago yan eh. nakakainis ang daming pretenders ngayon eh. FYI: madaming EMO ngayon ang dating HIPHOP. sus! labo!

http://www.recordingreview.com/articles/articles/164/1/Vocal-Recording-Vocal-Doubling-101/Page1.html

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:56:33 PM »
Most of RNB Records ive heard and usually listen to... Like Usher's songs have this specific Hi and Hi-Mid cut on the Vocals.

If you'll try to listen to on Usher's song Burn you'll hear that they added subsonics on the Kick and Bass lines for the song to have a body then the rest of the other instruments almost doesnt have a lo frequency and it only focused on the mid range frequency.

Yes sometimes double vocal track does do tricks but it really depends on the approach on a song.

But what you really have to focus on mixing Vocal track just like what other genres is the approach on the EQ and Reverb

Hope this helps 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:53:46 PM by xjepoyx »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:24:05 PM »
Thanks sa inputs. :) I'm sure it'll go a long way.

sir louie:
hahaha. oo nga napansin ko maraming nahipan ng hangin from hiphop to emo. labo nga. pero di ko rin naman masisisi, especially with the commercialization of emo nowadays. ako kasi halong hiphop at rock. sobrang na-influence kasi ako ng RATM. hehehe. so, pedeng hiphop pedeng rock. :P

sir jepoy:
hi to hi-mid freq cuts, usually sa ano pong range?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »

sir jepoy:
hi to hi-mid freq cuts, usually sa ano pong range?

Im not gonna be techie on this.

I myself havnt recorded and mixed a RnB track yet. Im not really VISUAL in terms of EQ. The only tip i can give you is... "USE YOUR EARS not you EYES"

Like what i said in my previous post... try to listen to foreign RnB tracks, from there you can work your way around it.
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]