hulika

Author Topic: Steve Vai Thread  (Read 136697 times)

Offline melody_guitar

• Veteran Member
Re: Steve Vai Thread
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2008, 01:09:04 AM »
The commitment it takes to become an elite virtuoso guitarist is not unlike that required to become a champion in any other field. You must think, breathe, eat and live the instrument at virtually every waking moment (and even while sleeping, when possible). You must transcend the games your mind will play on you and the excuses it will give you to lay off and take the easy road. You must continue to bring back the focus to the instrument. You may find yourself harshly criticized by other music community people, or friends, magazines and those that hang around on Sunset Boulevard obsessing over the nuances of the latest trends. This is precisely the time when you need to fearlessly stick to your vision. There are tests along the way. Realize that it’s all in the mind, and never accept failure when dealing in things that are within your ability to control.

Keep a positive outlook on things and don’t let your intensity turn you in a prick. Always compliment and support your fellow musicians. We all have dreams and hopes. By encouraging, complimenting and supporting those around us, we gain self-dignity, respect, friends, a healthy overview of our own work and an appreciation for the efforts that others put in during our struggles.

It’s okay to get discouraged at times, but it’s not okay to quit. Quitting is never an option for true a artist. It’s jus not in their makeup. Think of music and the guitar when you’re not even around an instrument. If you’re in a quiet setting, imagine that you’re playing and try to see your fingers moving while you’re listening to what’s happening in your head. You can get better at this as time goes by. It’s unbelievably rewarding and it can help you improve drastically because you’re not confined by your physical limitations. I used to do this all the time, and I still do. I imagine things on the instrument that I can’t do, and then I work on them until I can do them effortlessly.

There are those who believe that God is manifest in everything, in the form of light and sound. Some believe that that light and sound need to be discovered by each of us personally and alone. This could be why we are so fond of music. Creating music just by “willing” it in your head may eventually lead to just listening to it happen in your head. Who is the composer is and where the music takes you are for you to discover.

I think being a musician and being able to play an instrument is about the coolest thing in the world. Creating music (and especially playing the guitar) is most rewarding when it’s based on pure passion. Its our birthright to play an instrument an to create.

-Steve Vai-
-Guitar World April 2004 issue on his 30-hour guitar method

Available Guitarist for bands, Showbands/variety music, acoustic etc../color]

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2008, 01:33:48 AM »
yup. one more thing i like about vai is he is very open about his thoughts on music na di mo nakikita normally sa ibang artist.

The part I like most is "quitting is never an option for a true artist"

I admit na at times talaga we have to do other important things in life pero for a true artist, laging nandun pa rin yun art/passion nya.

btw, plug ko yung ginawa kong instrumental rock track. Lost Soul. Highly inspired by the one and only Steve Vai.  :-D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=830546

natapos ko na rin sa wakas. daming sablay na part yung lead saka mga compromised notes. pero ok naman yung 2nd half so in-export ko na sa recording software ko as a mastered track.
Peace, Love and Rakenrol!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:12:36 AM by jamming_papu »
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2008, 01:58:44 AM »
yup. one more thing i like about vai is he is very open about his thoughts on music na di mo nakikita normally sa ibang artist.

The part I like most is "quitting is never an option for a true artist"

I admit na at times talaga we have to do other important things in life pero for a true artist, laging nandun pa rin yun art/passion nya.

btw, plug ko yung ginawa kong instrumental rock track. Lost Soul. Highly inspired by the one and only Steve Vai.  :-D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=830546

natapos ko na rin sa wakas. daming sablay na part yung lead saka mga compromised notes. pero ok naman yung 2nd half so in-export ko na sa recording software ko as a mastered track.
Peace, Love and Rakenrol!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2008, 02:11:15 AM »
dude, salamat nga pala sa comment mula sa kabilang thread.

by the way, meron na ba dito sa vai-thread people ang mayroong copy ng kahit anong songbook na transcribe by vai himself? survey lang po. :-D

“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2008, 02:13:22 AM »
dude, salamat nga pala sa comment mula sa kabilang thread.

by the way, meron na ba dito sa vai-thread people ang mayroong copy ng kahit anong songbook na transcribe by vai himself? survey lang po. :-D

like whole notation? music stores have them but i dont know if vai did it

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2008, 02:15:26 AM »
i mean yung cd-songbook na for sale sa bandmerch.com or naka-link sa vai.com. si vai talaga gumawa nun.. :lol:
- Miles Davis

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2008, 02:19:25 AM »
i mean yung cd-songbook na for sale sa bandmerch.com or naka-link sa vai.com. si vai talaga gumawa nun.. :lol:

you want a copy? lol i dont have one, im not a huge vai fan i have a jem and jem copy because of the design. i take bits and pieces of who i like and incorporate them

Offline j3yps

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »
Vai Fans Meron ako binebenta na tutorial DVD nang mga songs ni Vai check it out

http://musikerodvdvcd.blogs.friendster.com/my_blog/2008/07/licklibrary_lea_1.html

Offline melody_guitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2008, 03:41:21 PM »
ang alam ko po na vai transcribed eh yung pong kay frank zappa.. yung frank zappa guitar cookbook... wala nga din ako mahanap dito sa pinas na copy nito...

Offline lestervai

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2008, 04:14:04 PM »
hehe.mahal cguro ng mga song book na yun.. :-P

Offline melody_guitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2008, 12:18:09 AM »
The commitment it takes to become an elite virtuoso guitarist is not unlike that required to become a champion in any other field. You must think, breathe, eat and live the instrument at virtually every waking moment (and even while sleeping, when possible). You must transcend the games your mind will play on you and the excuses it will give you to lay off and take the easy road. You must continue to bring back the focus to the instrument. You may find yourself harshly criticized by other music community people, or friends, magazines and those that hang around on Sunset Boulevard obsessing over the nuances of the latest trends. This is precisely the time when you need to fearlessly stick to your vision. There are tests along the way. Realize that it’s all in the mind, and never accept failure when dealing in things that are within your ability to control.

Keep a positive outlook on things and don’t let your intensity turn you in a prick. Always compliment and support your fellow musicians. We all have dreams and hopes. By encouraging, complimenting and supporting those around us, we gain self-dignity, respect, friends, a healthy overview of our own work and an appreciation for the efforts that others put in during our struggles.

It’s okay to get discouraged at times, but it’s not okay to quit. Quitting is never an option for true a artist. It’s jus not in their makeup. Think of music and the guitar when you’re not even around an instrument. If you’re in a quiet setting, imagine that you’re playing and try to see your fingers moving while you’re listening to what’s happening in your head. You can get better at this as time goes by. It’s unbelievably rewarding and it can help you improve drastically because you’re not confined by your physical limitations. I used to do this all the time, and I still do. I imagine things on the instrument that I can’t do, and then I work on them until I can do them effortlessly.

There are those who believe that God is manifest in everything, in the form of light and sound. Some believe that that light and sound need to be discovered by each of us personally and alone. This could be why we are so fond of music. Creating music just by “willing” it in your head may eventually lead to just listening to it happen in your head. Who is the composer is and where the music takes you are for you to discover.

I think being a musician and being able to play an instrument is about the coolest thing in the world. Creating music (and especially playing the guitar) is most rewarding when it’s based on pure passion. Its our birthright to play an instrument an to create.

-Steve Vai-
-Guitar World April 2004 issue on his 30-hour guitar method

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2008, 12:26:09 AM »
Alam niyo ba kung bakit maraming nangangayaw kay Steve Vai kapag kabanda siya?

Before a tour, you rehearse 6 days a week for 10 hours.  Of course with breaks.

Then the touring becomes more compelling.  Steve is a perfectionist.  No fishing for notes.  He wants things as they were at rehearsal.  I remember Mike Mangini in one clinic he did here; he said Steve's regimen is way too much work.  Kind of takes the fun out of playing.  And Steve Vai himself commented on that... the schedule kind of *damaged* him (Mike Mangini).

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2008, 12:37:01 AM »
...  I remember Mike Mangini in one clinic he did here; he said Steve's regimen is way too much work.  ...

sir skunky, if i may ask, where is here? is that the studio where you work?
guess, uhm ... maybe somewhere near encino, california?  :-D
- Miles Davis

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2008, 12:40:07 AM »
sir skunky, if i may ask, where is here? is that the studio where you work?
guess, uhm ... maybe somewhere near encino, california?  :-D

I meant Manila.  Mike Mangini drum clinic...

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2008, 12:47:33 AM »
aawww, ok. mukhang di nakarating sakin 'to.

actually, di rin ako nabigla sa pagiging perfectionist ni vai. sa mga written articles pa lang nyang nababasa ko ... yun na.

saka yung ginawa young sound theories concert with the holland metropole orchestra, they rehearsed for a few months for that event.     months!

i don't know kung tama lang yun sa mga taong nasa orchestra pero,
wow naman.  :oops:
- Miles Davis

Offline melody_guitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2008, 12:59:39 AM »
Alam niyo ba kung bakit maraming nangangayaw kay Steve Vai kapag kabanda siya?

Before a tour, you rehearse 6 days a week for 10 hours.  Of course with breaks.

Then the touring becomes more compelling.  Steve is a perfectionist.  No fishing for notes.  He wants things as they were at rehearsal.  I remember Mike Mangini in one clinic he did here; he said Steve's regimen is way too much work.  Kind of takes the fun out of playing.  And Steve Vai himself commented on that... the schedule kind of *damaged* him (Mike Mangini).
totoo yan sir.. i saw an article of mangini, virgil donati and phil bynoe on the internet..don't know kung reliable ba talaga.. that they quoted that 'playing with vai sometimes takes out the enjoyment.." napaka razor egded type musician ni vai...ewan ko kung tama ako ah.. the first G3 concert "satch, johnson and vai" has an VCD and DVD package.. i think that was shoot on november 96..basta the first G3..yung VCD and DVD cd eh magkaibang shoot.. syempre magkaiba ng date.. sa track ni satch eh mahahalata mo na iba lalo na dun sa cool #9.. pati kay johnson, yung sa mga songs niya.. yung kay vai, men if im not mistaken.. he throw the same notes in both VCD and DVD package CD.. napansin ko yun kasi i got a G3 tape, cassette pa.. magkaiba na yung solos sa G3 jam nung sa tape at pinanuod kong VCD.. pero dun sa set ni vai, kasi G3 e 3 individual set and the final jam set diba.. dun sa set ni vai, parehong pareho yung notes sa VCD and DVD.. pati yung dun sa ending ng for the love of god, yung etude na feedbacks and delays, mismo..hehehe...

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2008, 09:49:44 AM »
mr vai simplay can't help himself....anal retentive yan e. may "K" naman kasi e
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline j3yps

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2008, 05:21:08 PM »
mr vai simplay can't help himself....anal retentive yan e. may "K" naman kasi e
Mismo! :-D

Offline jeozz

« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2008, 11:27:09 PM »
share ko lang to mga sir STEVE VAI SHREDS

nakakatuwa lang hehehe :-)

Run, Jump, Make Noise, Just Avoid Sin

Offline melody_guitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2008, 12:20:16 AM »
share ko lang to mga sir STEVE VAI SHREDS

nakakatuwa lang hehehe :-)

ang kuleeeeeeeeet dude..hahaha.. galing ng gumawa..hehehe

Offline Speed_Kills

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2008, 08:10:23 PM »
bakit parang parehas lang yung tunog ni vai kay satch (ngayon)?....parehas sila ng style tapos pati brand ng gears..parehas din na nag wawhammy bar abuse hehehe :-D...parehas mahilig sa slide tska legato...parehas din silang parang evh clone ehh...wala lang

Offline salve_7

« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2008, 08:16:52 PM »

i like the song bad horsie and building the church

peace po :-D

Offline Speed_Kills

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »

i like the song bad horsie and building the church

for the love of god lang talaga ehh.... :-D
nakakasawa yung ibang songs pangit ng solo parts...peace! :-D
imo

Offline salve_7

« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2008, 08:41:52 PM »

for the love of god :-D

the first thing that comes in-mind when people says "VAI"

Offline jeozz

« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2008, 12:17:52 AM »
ang kuleeeeeeeeet dude..hahaha.. galing ng gumawa..hehehe

hahaha... :lol: tawa nga ko ng tawa nung napanood ko'to.
Run, Jump, Make Noise, Just Avoid Sin