hulika

Author Topic: help suggest a good preamp for live application  (Read 1255 times)

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
help suggest a good preamp for live application
« on: June 11, 2008, 07:06:14 PM »
mga sir... i'm looking for a decent preamp/DI to use for gigs. ganito ang scenario. i recently purchased an acoustic guitar which i'm planning to equip with transducer pickups (as opposed to piezo). as usual, budget is limited so i'm planning to get a passive setup plus an outboard preamp which wouldn't cost so much.

at first i was looking into the l.r. baggs para acoustic d.i. kaso mashadong mahal. i stumbled upon the ART tube MP preamp and mukhang ok siya for its price. i was also wondering if the behringer copy is also good.

so my options are:
1. art tube mp mic preamp (which, as per the literature says may be used as an instrument preamp)
2. the behringer copy of #1.

if you have any other suggestions, please suggest them here din.

EDITED: oh, and i might also suggest whatever preamp i'd buy to our bassist for use. kasi mostly he just plugs into the mixer via a D.I. box.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 07:08:53 PM by af_villaruel »

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
Re: help suggest a good preamp for live application
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »
up. sana may magreply hehehe

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 10:15:51 PM »
Have you checked out Seymour Duncan D-Tar, EMG, and Barcus Berry acoustic guitar pickup/preamp systems?
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline forerunnermusic

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 05:47:42 AM »
do you plan to use the preamp as an interface for your recordings too?
Music. Our Passion.  

The Music Source-Ali Mall, Cubao/ T: 4377798      SPL Marketing-Raon, Manila/ T: 735-5440      Hifi Lounge-Festival Mall/ T: 842-8133      One Stop Music-Royale Place Mall, Commonwealth Ave./ T: 9317570/ 3912141

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 02:06:14 PM »
do you plan to use the preamp as an interface for your recordings too?

well, if the studio can provide me with a better preamp, that'd be better. pero kung wala at for demos lang pede siguro. for recordings kasi, i prefer unplugged tapos mic'ed lang yung guitar. more natural sounding. pero kung maganda naman yung makukuha kong pickup, pede naman i-blend sa mix.

Have you checked out Seymour Duncan D-Tar, EMG, and Barcus Berry acoustic guitar pickup/preamp systems?

the d-tar is too pricey for me. half nung price nung outboard na d-tar, naka lr baggs para acoustic di nako nun! hehe. 300+ yung outboard system niya.

btw, the reason that i prefer outboard systems is that i wouldn't wanna rout a hole in my guitar to accommodate an on-board preamp. it's really an old guitar and parang pakiramdam ko pag pinabutasan ko siya parang bababa yung value niya for me.

if you wanna check out pics of the guitar, its at alwynvillaruel.multiply.com
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 02:26:10 PM by af_villaruel »