hulika

Author Topic: Early Pinoy Metal  (Read 10827 times)

Offline Dilim

Early Pinoy Metal
« on: January 27, 2002, 04:42:31 PM »
Can someone please provide me with info about the following bands: Warhead and Kaptain Bakal.  These 2 were before my time and I've heard stories here and there but nothing concrete.

I would also appreciate any info about any Pinoy metal bands that came before 1985.  I was told before that as far back as the 70's we had our own versions of Black Sabbath and whatnot.  Thanks.

Offline g0d

• Netizen Level
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 09:19:35 PM »
Ive never heard of them. Unfortunately the only active Pinoy metal band I am currently aware of is Skychurch.

Have you heard of Death Angel?

They were composed of 5 Filipino cousins. They are among the legends of the Bay Area thrash scene. They started the scene along with the likes of Metallica and Slayer.
They released 4 albums from 1987-1990.
Their debut album - "The Ultraviolence" regularly appears on "recommended album lists" of metalheads.

They are one of the greatest Pinoy bands ever, yet very few people have heard of them.
Bow Unto Thee

Offline Dilim

Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2002, 01:43:37 PM »
Actually there are other active Pinoy Metal Bands apart from Skychurch.  Korihor (Davao) and Incarrion (Taguig) are 2 that come to mind.  These 2 have also been circulating their demos in the underground.  There was a review in a South American webzine.  About Skychurch an interesting thing is that the first time I met them was when they were really young and they were playing stuff like the Chili Peppers.  

Of course I've heard of Death Angel and I do have their 4 albums.  Despite the fact that they were very influential and had been around since circa '83, they weren't exactly pioneers of thrash.  The same can be said of Metallica, since Overkill were already playing what could be called thrash as early as 1978.  I wouldn't really call D.A. a Pinoy Metal band since they all grew up in the U.S. nevermind that they sort of knew how to swear in Tagalog (I.P.F.S.)  A friend of mine met Gus Pepa in Manila recently, apparently he now works for his families real estate business.

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2002, 05:43:11 AM »
Quote from: Dilim
Of course I've heard of Death Angel and I do have their 4 albums.  Despite the fact that they were very influential and had been around since circa '83, they weren't exactly pioneers of thrash.  The same can be said of Metallica, since Overkill were already playing what could be called thrash as early as 1978.  I wouldn't really call D.A. a Pinoy Metal band since they all grew up in the U.S. nevermind that they sort of knew how to swear in Tagalog (I.P.F.S.)  A friend of mine met Gus Pepa in Manila recently, apparently he now works for his families real estate business.

Hey I met that Death Angel guy Gus Pepa in Malate a year or two ago - he looked like a clean cut meek mild mannered slightly chubby normal guy (mukhang yuppie nga eh) - not what I had imagined for a metal god. He shuttles back and forth from the US to the Philippines for his family business. He's very much a retired musician though I think he jams now and then.

Sad to say I have not heard DA's music (maybe there are some downloadable mp3's somewhere I can check out) but I did hear a bit of the DA legend - they toured Europe and were about to get their big break with a major label when they figured in a tour bus crash and one of their members died. Tama ba yan? But they never recovered from that. Maybe there is a site out there that can confirm this story.

Offline Dilim

Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2002, 11:23:40 AM »
Quote from: pinoymusika

Hey I met that Death Angel guy Gus Pepa in Malate a year or two ago - he looked like a clean cut meek mild mannered slightly chubby normal guy (mukhang yuppie nga eh) - not what I had imagined for a metal god. He shuttles back and forth from the US to the Philippines for his family business. He's very much a retired musician though I think he jams now and then.

Sad to say I have not heard DA's music (maybe there are some downloadable mp3's somewhere I can check out) but I did hear a bit of the DA legend - they toured Europe and were about to get their big break with a major label when they figured in a tour bus crash and one of their members died. Tama ba yan?

I don't know if there are any Death Angel sites that give in depth info etc... but I'd think that Audio Galaxy would have their albums to download.  You might also want to try contacting Ivory and WEA records and asking if they have any copies of 'The Ultra Violence' and 'Act III floating around. You might have gotten your wires crossed with the tour accident story.  Andy Galeon (drummer) injured his eye pretty bad when the band's tour van (that's right a van, they were very much an underground band) figured in an accident in the States.  A band member dying in a tour bus accident in Europe sounds like this band from the 80's called Metallica, a very influential metal band who disappeared after their 1988 album "And Justice For All"  : )

Anyway there was also this urban myth going around that after the accident, the band took a break from touring and Rob Cavestany (lead guitarist) went over to the Philippines for a time and saw The Youth play at the old Dredd in Timog.  Kung totoo nga na napanood niya ang The Youth well, all I can say is grabe pahiya nanaman tayo!!!!  

As far as I know, Gus Pepa hangs out and occasionally jams with the 'Reta Posse' from the old Dredd.  This circle of friends is made up of (among others) ex-members of Discant X and Inquisition.  Discant X deserves special mention as they were a really good band who were never given the break they deserved.  I've seen a lot of metal bands these past years and I have to say that Discant X are/were definitely world class as far as their songwriting and skill in playing.

Offline g0d

• Netizen Level
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2002, 01:54:25 PM »
What about the following bands:

- Deceased
- Astarus
- Kabaong ni Kamatayan

Ive never heard of them. But someone who knows enough to not call rapcore and kupaw acts as metal has mentioned them. So Im betting they might be metal.
Bow Unto Thee

Offline Dilim

Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2002, 03:16:52 PM »
Quote from: g0d
What about the following bands:

- Deceased
- Astarus
- Kabaong ni Kamatayan

Ive never heard of them. But someone who knows enough to not call rapcore and kupaw acts as metal has mentioned them. So Im betting they might be metal.

Ewanko lang kung ano ang current status ng mga iyan but here's what I know.

Deceased - These guys were around as far back as the mid 80's.
                   They were originally a punk band whose name was
                   mentioned in the same breath as I.O.V., Urban
                   Bandits, Betrayed, Third World Chaos, etc...  When
                   the 90's came around they started playing 'borderline
                   metal' in the vein of Danzig.

Astarus - The name's very familiar but I can't tell you much, sorry.

Kabaong ni Kamatayan -  In their own right, a legend.  Unless  
                                        there were some other unknown
                                        ones who came before them Scum, and
                                        Crematorium, this band was one of the
                                        first Death Metal bands from our country.
                                        If I remember correctly, they formed in
                                        1988.  It's hard to describe there sound
                                        kasi kaunti lang talaga ang mga sinulat
                                        nila although it would be safe to say that
                                        there style was very much early Death
                                        Metal  ala 'Leprosy' era Death.  

Although I didn't commit to be being a
                                        fulltime member, I was Kabaong ni
                                        Kamatayan's guitarist from 1995 - 1997.
                                        It's an understatement to say that the
                                        band has had a lot of line-up changes;
                                        Kabaong ni Kamatayan is essentially
                                        the drummer Paul Magat.

Offline g0d

• Netizen Level
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2002, 04:58:53 PM »
Have you heard of EFFLUVIUM - they supposedly released a demo called "Genesis Of Our Conquest"

?
Bow Unto Thee

Offline Dilim

Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2002, 05:43:18 PM »
Effluvium?  No I haven't heard of them so tell me more.

Offline MadStick

• Philmusicus Addictus
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2002, 09:39:44 AM »
ayan si Santi!!!...pinakamagaling na guitarist yan ng KNK...bow nga yun guitarista naming si Tatel...specially when he did the lead in "Buried Dreams" by Carcass...heheheh

We're not worthy!....*bows*
We are always at war.....war with others, war with ourselves, war with our feelings....the only time we're at peace is when we are dead....

Offline g0d

• Netizen Level
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2002, 12:28:56 PM »
Effluvium? No I haven't heard of them so tell me more

Actually I havent heard about them either. But I was browsing a russian metal zine. I forgot the link, Im trying to find it. But they had a list of the 'best metal' demos from around the world. And they had a listing saying "Effluvium - Genesis Of Our Conquest [ Philippines ]"
Bow Unto Thee

Offline g0d

• Netizen Level
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2002, 04:15:28 PM »
Here's an interview with Efflivium:

http://www.rusmetal.ru/vae_solis/effluvium.html

This is from a Malaysian web zine.
Bow Unto Thee

Offline slave_unit

Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 04:51:41 PM »
Sayang, 'di ko na napakinggan yung mga bandang sinasabi n'yo (puwera sa KNK.  May compilation 'ata ako noon).  Sa probinsya ako lumaki, e.  Dahong Palay at Skychurch lang ang naabutan ko noong nag-college ako.  Umorder ako ng Death Angel sa amazon.com para maka-catch-up kahit papaano.  hehe.
..and when they come, we'll make great pets.

http://flickr.com/photos/gracinhamarco/

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 05:48:23 PM »
Quote from: Dilim
Can someone please provide me with info about the following bands: Warhead and Kaptain Bakal.  These 2 were before my time and I've heard stories here and there but nothing concrete.

I would also appreciate any info about any Pinoy metal bands that came before 1985.  I was told before that as far back as the 70's we had our own versions of Black Sabbath and whatnot.  Thanks.

Kaptain Bakal? I know the 2 members -- Bonn (bassist) and Te (guitarist), They were the original Pinoy Classic Metal Band. I had an old  cassette tape copy of their songs before but the audio recording got damaged because of tape magnetism.

"Warhead" sounds familiar but I don't have any info about them.

I think Bonn also formed a progressive power-duo band called "Double Orchestra" with Jumbo Dulay on drums. Wow, that was really wayback 1980s!

Jim, maybe Philmusic should write about these early Pinoy metal bands? THE HISTORY OF PINOY METAL

These guys were very much ahead of their time!
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005, 01:14:36 AM »
Ei Dodo, not really a metalhead though so I would not have any credibility writing a history! But as for Warhead -  you probably know the guitarist Rards Corpuz. He is the partner of Jaime Godinez at Soundcheck.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2005, 06:23:17 PM »
I remember Rards with long, long hair (wearing a wig actually) and playing guitar! I didn't know that he was with Warheads...
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline chillipepel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
metal
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 04:49:51 AM »
anybody knows wer can i get cds from pinoy metal like Dahong Palay, Backdraft, Skychurch ,Deatby stereo ,Warlock and Edge of Illusion and also some of the LA 105 music compilation.thanks

ANY news from these bands?

Offline slave_unit

Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2005, 03:09:44 PM »
May cd ako ng Dahong Palay, Death by Stereo at Skychurch.  Kung gusto mo, kopyahan kita.

Offline slave_unit

Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 02:14:45 PM »
Dumating na yung inorder kong Death Angel.  Anlupit nga!

Offline chillipepel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 10:22:02 AM »
Quote from: slave_unit
May cd ako ng Dahong Palay, Death by Stereo at Skychurch.  Kung gusto mo, kopyahan kita.

yeah paki kopyahan mo naman ako. papaano ba ma isend sa akin? pwede ba through zip folder? or mail?

thanks

Offline slave_unit

Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2005, 01:49:53 PM »
Snailmail.  Akina address mo.

Offline necromancer77

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 09:19:07 AM »
try to visit this site .... www.filipinometal.com makikita mo dito both signed and unsigned bands .... sharing lang po .... :wink:

Offline necromancer77

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 09:21:52 AM »
and try to visit this site ..... www.rakista.com u can hear thier demos and pwede syang i-download ..... sharing lang po .. :wink:

Offline ralphot

Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 09:45:07 AM »
Unfortunately the only active Pinoy metal band I am currently aware of is Skychurch.

i think skychurch is on hiatus for the moment. robert's in rehab (and he's been booted off quezo, as well. replacing him is the guy from salindiwa).

Offline ortigas

Early Pinoy Metal
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 11:34:08 PM »
Quote from: ralphot
Unfortunately the only active Pinoy metal band I am currently aware of is Skychurch.

i think skychurch is on hiatus for the moment. robert's in rehab (and he's been booted off quezo, as well. replacing him is the guy from salindiwa).
pucha, bigat ah!