hulika

Author Topic: RandyMarsh's DIY Pedal Mods (Two New Pedals In the Works)  (Read 65817 times)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: RandyMarsh's DIY Pedal Mods (Two New Pedals In the Works)
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2009, 07:57:43 AM »
"we are not guys. we are really hot chicks."

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:11:07 PM by nathanmanansala »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Re: RandyMarsh's DIY Pedal Mods (Boss CE-5 Wet/Vibrato Mod - Very Easy!)
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2009, 08:47:15 AM »
The Continuum Transfunctioner contains two different overdrive circuits, both "true bypass"-able. the right side of the pedal has more gain than the left side. with a flick of a switch you can reverse the order of the overdrives. each overdrive circuit also have a "boost mode" switch. with these options you can have two boost circuits, two overdrive circuits or an overdrive and boost circuit in one pedal.  :-D

The Bad-Ass Gravity Pump is a monster distortion pedal. The left side of the pedal contains two distortion circuits while right side is the boost circuit. With almost same features of the Continuum Transfunctioner but with more gain.

overdrive hmm, im an overdrive let me know how much these babies cost :D pm pm desu :lol:

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2009, 10:38:12 AM »

Offline riccaliolio

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: RandyMarsh's DIY Pedal Mods (Boss CE-5 Wet/Vibrato Mod - Very Easy!)
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2009, 03:17:48 PM »
The Continuum Transfunctioner contains two different overdrive circuits, both "true bypass"-able. the right side of the pedal has more gain than the left side. with a flick of a switch you can reverse the order of the overdrives. each overdrive circuit also have a "boost mode" switch. with these options you can have two boost circuits, two overdrive circuits or an overdrive and boost circuit in one pedal.  :-D

Dapat di mo inexplain! Nawala na tuloy ung mystery... Hehehe!

Wayop sa design ah.. astig... \m/

Offline boy_noel

« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2009, 02:52:00 AM »
galing ng mods! got some serious skills!

sir baka may alam kayong mod for sd9? i made a clone, schem got the schem and layout from generalguitargadgets.com (ibanez/maxon ang original..), and i didn't like the tone knob, para syang treble boost/cut, walang mid, pag 0 ang tone sobrang muffled, pag max shrills naman.. may post na mod sa ggg pero bass frequency lang ang inayos, scooped pa rin yung mid.. pero on the positive side, sobrang flexible ng gain control, you can dial in a tubescreame-rish to marshall-ish to high gain drive sttings! yun nga lang asa isang posisyon lang yung tone knob..

hope you can help me with this one, pakipost na lang..

supertnx! :-D
rock & funk!!!

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »
sir baka may alam kayong mod for sd9? i made a clone, schem got the schem and layout from generalguitargadgets.com (ibanez/maxon ang original..), and i didn't like the tone knob, para syang treble boost/cut, walang mid, pag 0 ang tone sobrang muffled, pag max shrills naman.. may post na mod sa ggg pero bass frequency lang ang inayos, scooped pa rin yung mid.. pero on the positive side, sobrang flexible ng gain control, you can dial in a tubescreame-rish to marshall-ish to high gain drive sttings! yun nga lang asa isang posisyon lang yung tone knob..

i've tested the sd9's schematics using ltspice. yung tone section niya is big muff inspired, kaya tama ka na treble boost/cut ang function ng tone knob. pwede mo idecrease yung tone knob to B10k tsaka increase mo yung value R12 ng to 10k or 15k para medyo flat ang EQ ng tone knob mo at 12 o clock. hindi ko tested ito pero yan ang pinapakita sa akin ng graph.

hope this helps.  :-)

nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline boy_noel

« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2009, 10:03:48 PM »
i've tested the sd9's schematics using ltspice. yung tone section niya is big muff inspired, kaya tama ka na treble boost/cut ang function ng tone knob. pwede mo idecrease yung tone knob to B10k tsaka increase mo yung value R12 ng to 10k or 15k para medyo flat ang EQ ng tone knob mo at 12 o clock. hindi ko tested ito pero yan ang pinapakita sa akin ng graph.

hope this helps.  :-)

hmm, will try this one..

tnx for the help! :-D
rock & funk!!!

Offline jdawg

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2009, 12:13:20 PM »
this . thread . must . never . die      :-D

Here is my long overdue review of RandyMarsh's DIY creation - YBMB (short for "You're Breaking My Balls")

Brief background:
A couple of months back I was considering incorporating a low-gain OD pedal into my setup as an always-on pedal. The usual pedal buzzwords apply -- "touch sensitive", "dynamic", "amp-like", "cleans up nicely", etc. The usual suspects that were shortlisted were the likes of the Barber LTD and Gaspedals Carb OD. Then I stumbled upon clips of the CMATMODS Buttah, which according to one other forum that I frequent, is based off a Marshall Bluesbreaker OD pedal (the original one and not the current BB-2). I really loved the clips of the CMATMODS Buttah and immediately thought of that tone as something that I could use for my setup. Then, I also stumbled upon the knowledge that the AnalogMan KOT is essentially 2 identical Marshall BluesBreaker circuits in a single housing, with a some mods and upgraded components. Naturally, more GAS set in and curiosity about the BluesBreaker circuit got the better of me, hence I present to you guys the YBMB pedal by PhilMusic's very own, RandyMarsh.

Build details:
The YBMB is clad in a tastefully and accurately applied one-piece decal (a window decal, I presume), which from afar actually looks as if it's a handpainted pedal. The control labels are sharpied on but thankfully, RandyMarsh's penmanship is helluva lot more legible than my chicken-scratch handwriting. A blinding blue LED was used for the indicator, which to be honest, in use in a dim room, can get a bit irritating especially if I'm trying to see the position of the two toggle switches beside it...it does look cool though from afar. There are a total of 4 knobs and 2 2-way switches (more on these controls below). The D/C input of the pedal is on the north-side as specifically requested from RandyMarsh (I personally hate pedals with the D/C input on the side of the pedal, but I do understand that most builders do this to have a cleaner wiring layout, i.e. no flying lead from the north side of the pedal going to the bypass switch).

Out of curiosity (and this is something I do with all pedals that I own), I opened up the YBMB to see the insides in all its glory, and what I saw was a shocker. The YBMB's guts reveal an extrememly tight build. I was astonished as to how RandyMarsh was able to cram all of these components in an MXR-sized box! The build was in fact so tight that the circuit board was not laying down as it is with most pedals, but was actually standing on its side over at the south side of the pedal, where a battery would usually be placed.

In terms of overall build, it's still an obvious DIY job, but one can clearly see the attention to detail, tight tolerances and the quality of circuitry and clean soldering.

Before I forget, the inside of the bottom plate was signed by Mr. RandyMarsh, alongside a sticker of a wizard. I'm not sure if the sticker was meant as a reference to his electronics wizardry (I wouldn't be surpised if it was).  :)  If ever Randy Marsh becomes the next John Landgraff, I'll sell my signed YBMB on fleabay for boatloads of money! (just kidding, Mr. Marsh)

YBMB Controls:
The controls of the YBMB are as follows:
Volume - Self explanatory
Gain - Self explanatory, although an interesting tidbit about the gain knob is that it noticeably adds volume in addition to saturation. Another quirky thing about the Gain knob is that at the last 20% of the pot's rotation, it adds even more top-end bite and "zing" to the tone.
Tone 1 & Tone 2 - Tone 1 is the tone knob on the original BluesBreaker schematic. Tone 2 was one of the mods done by RandyMarsh to make the YBMB even more versatile. In essence, Tone 2, in terms of circuit placement, is similar to the circuit placement of the presence trim pot in an MI Audio Crunch Box. My assumption is that Tone 1 is pre-OD circuit and Tone 2 (essentially a presence control) is post-OD, much like how "presence" knobs in most amps work (Mr. Marsh, pls correct me if my assumptions are wrong).

Tone 2 seems to have been wired to add more presence counter-clockwise. Interestingly, at both ends of the knob's sweep, the control seems to be at zero point. What I mean by this is, say, at 4:00 the "presence" is at its lowest setting. Sweeping the knob all the way to around 9:30 bring it to the setting that adds the most presence, then at around 8:00 on the knob, it sounds like the setting at 4:00 again (i.e. lowest setting). It's was a bit quirky trying to figure this out at first, but once you get the hang of it it's easy to dial in your sound. Tone 1 and Tone 2 controls are interactive, and thus the YBMB has the ability to specifically tailor the high-end content of the signal. Since Tone 1 is pre-OD, it has an impact on overall gain whereas Tone 2 can be used more for fine tuning of the highs. While the two tone controls are interactive, they do NOT, by any stretch, have the ability to alter the overall voicing of the pedal. They impart incremental changes to the top end content pre- and post-distortion, but the midrange and low frequency content remain virtually untouched, which is something I really liked about this pedal. The YBMB DOES NOT homogenize your tone.

"D" switch and "L" switch - To make the pedal more versatile, RandyMarsh added 2 two-way clipping diode switches. The "D" on the "D" switch stands for diode and the "L" stands for LEDs. "D" switch toggles the silicon diodes in and out of the circuit, whereas the "L" switch toggles between LED clipping diodes and no LED clipping diodes. This allows for a total 4 different combinations for clipping diode configuration. To dial in the stock BluesBreaker configuration, toggle the silicon diodes to ON and turn off the LED clipping diodes.

*There are other modifications performed by RandyMarsh to make this pedal a "ball breaker" instead of a cloned BluesBreaker, but I'm not allowed to give out the secret sauce (mostly because I also don't know exactly what he did!)  :p

Performance and Sound Quality:
The YBMB can be classified as a low gain pedal. It has about the same maximum gain as a Barber LTD, although the YBMB with LED clipping engaged can be perceived to have more gain compared to the LTD. It's also a circuit that doesn't have a lot of volume on tap, with unity volume at around 2:00 on the volume and around 1:00 on the gain (at least on my set up).

Tonally, the YBMB is an inherently bright pedal. Don't let this scare you though. It's the kind of pedal that is bright but not brittle, i.e. it obviously adds more high end but the highs can still be considered as smooth. The highs can be dialled down via Tone 1 and Tone 2, however, I found that the sweetest tones from this pedal are best enjoyed by not trying to change its signature tone too much. After about an hour of use and experimentation, I settled on this particular setting:
Silicon Diodes - ON
LED - ON
Tone 1 - 10:30
Tone 2 - 2:00
Gain - 3:00

At these settings, on the bridge humbucker of my guitar, the YBMB screams classic rock crunch - think Johnny Winter's "Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo". Switching to the neck single coil will bring the gain levels down to "almost squeaky clean" with moderate picking, but one can get a bit of growl and sustain through heavier picking. Basically, at this setting of the YBMB, the guitar's pickup switch BECOMES the OD switch. Even with the guitar's volume at 10, the neck pickup remains pristine for cleaner, arpeggiated guitar passages, whereas switching to the bridge humbucker can bring the rock, without touching anything else or adjusting any other setting.

Another plus point of the YBMB is that it does something magical to neck pickups. Because of the enhanced top end of the YBMB, playing on the neck pickup gets extremely enjoyable. There is a certain hi-fi clarity imparted that becomes very obvious when one is using the neck pickup. The wound strings immediately become clearer and distinct and one's playing nuances and string attack are heard better. The YBMB hides NOTHING.

With the YBMB, notes on complex chords ring clear even on its highest gain setting. The YBMB's compression is just enough to let passages played on the higher register to sustain properly with natural-sounding note decay, but at the same time still rewards the user with the dynamic response and clarity that encourages better right-hand dynamics and nuanced picking.

Stacking with other dirt pedals:
Because of the YBMB's relatively flat response (at least as far as lows and mids are concerned), it performs admirably as a stacker. Out of a few stacking combinations tried, I settled on the YBMB doing the goosing (i.e. going into other drive pedals and not after). The pedals I tried stacking the YBMB into were the Skreddy Screwdriver and the Freakshow Brown Rabbit. I won't talk about stacking into the Skreddy since there are so many variables with the Skreddy that it deserves a thread of its own, but suffice it to say, the YBMB stacked into the Skreddy sounds excellent. What surprised me though was stacking the YBMB onto the Freakshow Brown Rabbit -- it sounded like a raging, hot rodded British amp! The YBMB made the Brown Rabbit clearer, brighter and more forward sounding. It was particularly a blast being able coax feedback on demand from this stacking combo. THIS COMBO ABSOLUTELY SCREAMS!

In summary, the YBMB exceeded all of my expectations about the BluesBreaker circuit, and the fact that Mr. RandyMarsh was able to make an already good sounding circuit even better is a testament to his good ears and technical know-how. Muchos gracias again to Mr. RandyMarsh for his excellent work on building the YBMB. The YBMB is certainly a great addition to my rig   :mrgreen:

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2009, 01:17:40 PM »
thanks for the review jason !! :-D
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline scuttlebutter

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2009, 01:20:37 PM »
nice review jdawg! the ybmb is indeed a super pedal. very nice! it really enhances your guitar's tone. it makes your rig sound just like your rig, only better!  :-)

Offline jdawg

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2009, 05:31:04 PM »
thanks for the review jason !! :-D

My pleasure, sir.

Offline jdawg

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2009, 05:33:17 PM »
nice review jdawg! the ybmb is indeed a super pedal. very nice! it really enhances your guitar's tone. it makes your rig sound just like your rig, only better!  :-)

Indeed it does! And BTW, thanks for taking care of the YBMB while it was in Manila  :-D

I actually wished it was with you for a little while longer so you could have gigged with it.

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2009, 06:25:24 PM »
I really, really hate reading things like that.  I really don't like it because it makes me realize that I still do not have some of the best and the to-trade-my-soul-for devices possible!  haha

The pedal is really a great piece of gear.  I am not even worthy of thanking it's creator, Mr. Marsh, for bringing it into this world and to scuttlebutter for making me experience it.

Kudos too to jdawg for such a wonderful piece of literature and for owning one.  I must also warn jdawg to be extra-careful-- when the opportunity presents itself, I will steal the YBMB from you!  haha

Offline scuttlebutter

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
here's a video of the grapadura, taken with a cameraphone...
though it doesn't fully represent what the grapadura can do, it gives you a pretty good tip-of-the-iceberg idea.

here are the settings:

el grapadura:
volume - 9 o'clock
tone - 3 o'clock
drive - 4 o'clock
toggle switches - germanium / ts808 / symmetrical

blues junior:
reverb - 9 o'clock
master - 12 o'clock
midrange - 12 o'clock
bass - 12 o'clock
treble - 12 o'clock
volume - 9 o'clock
fat switch - on

by the way, pasensya na sa mga sabit...   :-)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2009, 03:53:03 AM »
can i request a video thats not using a camera phone, its very unclear with the other video,

Offline scuttlebutter

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2009, 10:57:49 AM »
sorry bro. i don't have a camera at all. the cameraphone wasn't even mine. :-(

pag makahiram ako, post ko agad.  :-)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »
sorry bro. i don't have a camera at all. the cameraphone wasn't even mine. :-(

pag makahiram ako, post ko agad.  :-)

thanks sir  :-)

Offline scuttlebutter

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2009, 10:14:02 PM »
i still don't have a camera so i'm still using the same cameraphone.

here's another video. prs se custom -> el grapadura -> fender blues jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgIm5Lhx5TM

Offline jmwreck

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »
ganda ng modifications! salamat sa info sir! :-D

Offline boy_noel

« Reply #194 on: May 02, 2009, 01:17:50 AM »
sir randymarsh i tried your suggestion with the SD9, SUCCESS!!! mids are now much more pronounced! naging versatile na yung pedal lalo! 15k ang nilagay ko sa R12, and as suggested, i changed the value of the tone pot to 10k..

thanks! big help :-D

more power to you sir! :wink:
rock & funk!!!

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #195 on: July 05, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »
sometimes, having more info is bad for someone

.....like me  :-(

i want to mod my mt-2 and wah but im afraid to sacrifice something, "impedance"

Boss Engineers designed their pedals to have output impedance that would match the input of another pedal or an amp right.

by changing component values, does this mean that impedance is affected?
we wont have 99.9999% power transfer diba...

we always match the impedance, always

*geek time

There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline riccaliolio

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2009, 02:50:53 PM »
Uy buti may nagpa-alala ng thread na ito. Ala po bago? :-D

Offline ECUA

• Veteran Member
« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2009, 02:20:19 PM »
im trying to check for mt-2 mods. based on your page 1, it should be on page 10, pero walang instruction...

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
sir randy, matanong lang... yung 2.2uF in replacement sa "sweep cap" ng VOX V847 wah makes it a total volume expression pedal? I've read from wah-wah.co.uk na kailangan daw i-open yung 4.7uF electrolytic cap sa board to make it a vol exp pedal. However, my friend has noticed na pag i-aangat yung rocker same lang din effect once he rock it the other way. Does that have the same issue with your mod? :?

Offline Rectifier

« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2012, 04:41:33 AM »
Ang galing :mrgreen: