hulika

Author Topic: David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar - Who's better?  (Read 12975 times)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar - Who's better?
« on: March 22, 2006, 11:30:50 AM »
hey guys, in light of Van Halen's never-ending vocalist woes, who among these two do you prefer fronting for Ed, Al and Mike? who's better technically and overall? Gary Cherone doesn't count, he sucks as VH's frontman hehe :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 09:39:54 PM »
David lee roth gave a new perpective in metal singing.............That makes him famous.................But compare to Sammy Hagar,........... Well, Sammy has his own style and so as David.............. And they both gave Van Halen a justice to their songs...............

But one thing i surely observed to the both icons................
David Lee Roth sings like no other, not even today........ His style in singing, etc. etc........... And Sammy Hagar is one of the best heavy metal singers in the land............... But compare to his style of singing.......... He's surely not the no. 1............. e.g. Sebastian Bach of Skid Row.........
But the good thing with Sammy Hagar is that he can play guitar good enough to compete with Van Halen............

And There's another thing........... David Lee Roth makes Van Halen famous (only to his singing style)........ And second to Eddie Van Halen of course.............. Sammy Hagar became famous because of Van Halen..........  No bad feelings with dear Sammy Hagar but a pure commentary point of view........ :)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 01:01:44 PM »
very true.. DLR is the master of showmanship, while Hagar has a wider vocal range and gave Van Halen a more serious direction musically. mas gusto ko yung songs sa Van Hagar era because the lyrics were more serious and sensible but when it comes to rocking and playing the crowd, DLR rules! So the verdict for me? DLR!
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 03:36:28 PM »
songwise Sammy ako

guitarwise it's dave  :D

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 06:55:36 AM »
Cool!

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 09:42:15 AM »
sayang talaga nawala yung momentum nila noh? Remember the song "Amsterdam" from the balance album? ganda ng bagsakan ng riffs against the drumbeat! And "humans being" from the twister album? Very emotional and theatrical ang solo. they were moving in that direction with sammy before things got ugly.

And when Dave momentarily stepped in..ganda din with "can't get this stuff no more" and "me wise magic". Laki ng influence ng vocalist with eddie's playing don't you agree?

I won't buy the best of both worlds though because ayaw ko na ng best of! konti lang ang bago? Come on! I have every album they have just like a normal VH fan....why put out two Best ofs? :-k  i have heard a part of the new song"up for breakfast" and mukang ok. kaso i 'd rather wait for them to put out a new album. [-o<

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 10:09:54 AM »
Yuor're right..........I guess ed's fine now.............I heard he survived the tounge cancer thing............ They came from a family of musician..........
Maybe it's time to rock the world again............ we'll keep on the faith , I guess.................... 8)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 02:26:26 PM »
yeah, "It's About Time" from The Best of Both Worlds was supposed to be a comeback song for Van Halen. they were planning to make an album right after the tour but "king" Eddie once again disrupted the harmony by making a big issue out of the stuff that Sammy and Mike were selling in the arenas. let's just hope that Eddie sobers up and picks up the pieces for one last Van Halen comeback. and by the way, the best album for me yang Balance.. grabe si EVH dyan! :)

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 02:46:47 PM »
I agree!!! F.U.C.K. comes as a close second. grabe noh? Basta di ko ma explain. He's not very technical compared to so many shredders nowadays. But still after sooo many guitar players copying him... he still sounds unique.  Like he always means what he's playing ......very emotional(alcohol?) hehehe

Amsterdam!  :shock: Just don't mind the lyrics   :lol:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 04:05:29 PM »
maka-Van Hagar ka talaga pareng guitaraddict hehe.. what about Fair Warning? Van Halen II? those two are my favorite DLR-era albums.. :)

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 04:16:04 PM »
Somebody get me a doctor!
Women in love! sa VH2

Sa Fair warning....

mean street -hayup na riff yung sa gitna ng song bago mag solo.

Unchained.

PUSH COMES TO SHOVE- Ganda ng solo

Dirty movies- hehehe need i explain?

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 12:58:58 AM »
There's a  song entitled "Woman In Love" in Van Halen's unreleased album, Gene Simmon's Demo..........which is entrirely different from the one you've just mentioned............ Here most of their songs were sounded like Blues Rock................ "Parang razorback ang dating"

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 02:04:02 AM »
meron ka ba nyan bro? badtrip wala pa ko nyan ah! i must have that album!!!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 06:50:34 AM »
When it comes to range, Sammy has an advantage over Diamond Dave.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 10:15:05 AM »
hehehe kaya mas madali i cover dave era songs for vocalists :D

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 01:41:23 AM »
haha very true.. yung boses ni Sammy lalo na dun sa 5150 album sobrang taas :)

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 07:11:53 AM »
Quote from: VenusIsle_5150
meron ka ba nyan bro? badtrip wala pa ko nyan ah! i must have that album!!!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Hehehe!........ nagulat ako sa tunog nila, after VH III dun nila ni-release yun album, pagkatapos biglang labas nga ng razorback............ Sa Gene Simmons Demo para mong mapakikinggan ang "Giyang" & "Sumabog Nanaman Ang Bulkan"..........  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: ......... 8)  8)

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 10:34:02 AM »
VH fan talaga si guitaraddict!! For me I like Sammy Hagar better as the frontman, more versatile. Pero I can't help look back at the roots of Van Halen which was with David Lee Roth, magaling din siya.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 05:47:14 PM »
may nabasa akong rumors na baka sa second season daw ng Rock Star eh Van Halen na yung banda... kalokohan lang siguro to noh?  :roll:  :?:  :roll:  :?:  :roll:

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 05:52:30 PM »
si david lee roth yung nakalambitin sa bundok diba? or sometimes nasa surfboard then hinihila sa kisame? hehe i love that funny guy.
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 08:04:47 PM »
Quote from: VenusIsle_5150
may nabasa akong rumors na baka sa second season daw ng Rock Star eh Van Halen na yung banda... kalokohan lang siguro to noh?  :roll:  :?:  :roll:  :?:  :roll:

i heard pero rest assured hindi totoo. :D

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 05:21:26 AM »
still big  :?:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 03:03:31 PM »
check this out:

http://www.vhnd.com/articles/060317-01.shtml

wala na... shattered dreams :(

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 07:13:34 AM »
nagkaka-edad na kasi eh..............