hulika

Author Topic: SABIAN VS. ZILDJIAN VS. PAISTE VS. MEINL  (Read 12236 times)

Offline bluesdriver03

SABIAN VS. ZILDJIAN VS. PAISTE VS. MEINL
« on: April 30, 2009, 10:39:08 AM »
Hello Guys,

I think this question is always on the drummer' s table, but I'm new when it comes to cymbals especially their difference. Can you help me guys out there or can I have some suggestions which brand is better.

Thank you! I say, this will help me a lot.  :wink:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:43:55 AM by bluesdriver03 »

Offline wireme

• Veteran Member
Re: SABIAN VS. ZILDJIAN VS. PAISTE VS. MEINL
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »
Hello Guys,

I think this question is always on the drummer' s table, but I'm new when it comes to cymbals especially their difference. Can you help me guys out there or can I have some suggestions which brand is better.

Thank you! I say, this will help me a lot.  :wink:

i think every cymbal has its own distinct sound and you can't really say which brand is more better than the other. it will just boil down on the price you want to pay and the sound you are looking for in the cymbals.

Offline barabbas

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »
You can never go wrong with this top4 brands all of them has a very good quality.... You have to find which of this cymbals brands fits your style and tone characteristic....

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
since cymbals are musical instruments, tell us what sound you are looking for then we can hopefully provide suggestions as to what cymbals would best fit the music.

Offline bluesdriver03

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:10:47 PM »
Thank you guys for your replies. :-)
By the way, when it comes to guitars di ba stratocaster model is the most flexible sa lahat ng genre? When it comes sa cymbals, meron ba model or brand na flexible din in any genre?

Offline tranquildomain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 02:31:48 PM »
gamitin natin ang ating tenga wag ang mata  :-D
UNAS.. the slayer of the Gods..
"Once you begin to see drums as music, you've become a drummer." - George Kollias

Offline barabbas

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 03:17:03 PM »
gamitin natin ang ating tenga wag ang mata  :-D

I second motion... hehehehehehe

Offline bluesdriver03

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:36:34 PM »
I second motion... hehehehehehe
A okay po. Well sana may masuggest po kayo, cause dont know where to start.

Offline tranquildomain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:54:24 PM »
Know first kung what type of cymbals are you going to apply to your musical genre, tapos saka mo compare ang cymbal lines na yun sa bawat brand.. tapos dun ka sa gusto ng tenga mo hehe
UNAS.. the slayer of the Gods..
"Once you begin to see drums as music, you've become a drummer." - George Kollias

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 09:42:11 PM »
Here are a couple of questions that may help you in looking for the cymbals you want/need:

1) What type of music do you play most of the time? Is this the type of music you'll use the cymbals for?
2) What kind of sound do you like the most? Do you like something that is bright or something that is warm? Do you prefer higher pitched ones or lower pitched ones?
3) Do you like something that "cuts" through the guitars or do you want something that "blends" with the music?
4) What is your budget?
5) Do you value sound of the cymbal more than the "resale" value?
6) Will this be used for live performances or for recording or both?

Offline Pearlboy

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 08:46:17 PM »
bro i think any of the four brands would do...

honestly... basta maganda quality nung cymbal siguradong maganda na sound nun. next thing u should worry about is the size of the cymbal... ung thickness medyo minor na lang un... (in my opinion)

Offline digidikdik

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 12:12:04 PM »
Tama cla jan...i use sabian and meinl combination...16 at 18 inch...Swak na swak sa ears,ehehehe...Depende talaga sa panlasa ng drummer yan... :-)
meowww

Offline CDodrummer

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 12:39:52 PM »
zildjian ako pinakamaganda yung logo.... :-D

I think Paiste has the sexiest logo :-D
Duct tape has a light and darker side. Like the Force, it holds the world together

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »
Tama cla jan...i use sabian and meinl combination...16 at 18 inch...Swak na swak sa ears,ehehehe...Depende talaga sa panlasa ng drummer yan... :-)

+1
oks lang siguro kahit may iba iba kang brand ng cymbals sa set up mo.... lalo ko tenga talaga ang gamit mo... although maganda rin tingnan ang unified set up....pero gaya nga nga nararapat,, tenga ang gamitin hindi ang mata. :-D
DRUM ITEMS FOR SALE!! http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,192546.0.html

"Its better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb"

Offline andreiandrei

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 09:39:10 AM »
maganda nga rin yun kahit iba ibang brand..

pero tingin ko maayos mgblend ang sound kung iisang brand lang ang gamit mo(or one specific series?) kasi pareho yung paraan kung paano sila gawin ng manufacturer, basta lahat ng traditional way nila andoon. you just have to listen to each of their cymbal, mahahanap mo rin yung sound na closest or even better than the one you want from the other brand.

just my opinion  :-D

Offline makinao

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
A okay po. Well sana may masuggest po kayo, cause dont know where to start.

This is how I did it when I was a newbie drummer. First, I listened to lots of music, lots of artists, and lots of musical styles, be they live or recorded. This gave me an idea of the variety of cymbal sounds that were out there. Second, I tried to play-test every cymbal I came across, from friends, in clubs, in church, in school, everywhere. This allowed me to hear what cymbals sound like up close. Based on these experiences, I developed my own personal taste and preferences. Only when I had an idea of what I wanted did I start buying my own cymbals. It took me four years of visiting music stores every month to get my core setup of crash-ride, hi-hat, ride, and crash. It took another 30 years before I bumped into a pair of nice china cymbals I really liked. I have not sold any of them because I was patient enough to get only the ones whose sound I really loved, and which sounded unique to me. It doesn't matter what brand you buy. My core setup are all Zildjians (considered "pro" cymbals). But just this year, I got two Stagg (considered "cheap") chinas because I fell in love with the sound, and the price was just icing on the cake. My church has a Sabian B8 (considered "entry-level") ride that I wouldn't mind using with my set.  My entire cymbal setup is a reflection of my musical preference and taste, and mine alone. Yours should be too.

Buying musical instruments is much like a quest. Prepare yourself by listening to everything you can, and remember those sounds you liked. Don't be distracted by sweet-talk or boastfulness (advertising and marketing). Then when you have the money, search high and low. Be patient, because chances are you will not find them all at once. But whenever you find one you like, don't hesitate. Get it before someone else does. Every time I play my cymbals, I know my own long quest was worth it. So I hope your quest brings your the same success and satisfaction.

Offline numenorboy

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 11:05:46 PM »
MEINL IS THE LIGHT!  :evil:  :lol:

22" Byzance trad. Heavy Ride
22" Byzance trad. Medium Crash
20" Byzance trad. Medium Crash
20" Byzance trad. China
14" Byzance trad. Hi-Hats.

OMG OMG OMG. haha  :mrgreen:

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 03:07:25 AM »
I think Paiste has the sexiest logo :-D

diril cymbals astig ang logo..
http://hstrial-srigg1.homestead.com/cymbals.html

meinl yung sound casters -- laser etched ang logo --  :-)

Offline zound_tech

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 03:35:13 AM »
you might wanna check this out

feature=channel_page
http://sabian.com/EN/products/hhx.cfm

i was amazed by how much real people are involved in this process...

i remember benny greb's tour in the meinl factory and most of the work is done by machines...

this reminds me also of how ferrari makes their cars,
they of course use machines ang equipments to assemble the cars but they don't leave it upto the computer.

every step is guided by a specialized person

i dont know much about zildjian and meinl,
but sabian has a page in there site where you can get a sample clip of the cymbals

Offline arien_drummer

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 07:16:06 AM »
Eto po ang alam ko sa mga cymbals na yan... hehe

Sabian vs. Zildjian: Mataas ang kredibilidad ng Zildjian at halos pareho lang sila ng Sabian. pero sabi nila, mas ok pa daw yung sound ng mga sabian na may crack kaysa sa zildjian na may crack. hindi ko sure yung part about dun sa mga cracked cymbals. haha 8-)

Zildjian vs. Paiste: Para sakin, mas maganda yung zildjian kaysa paiste in terms of sound. i've been a zildjian player my whole life pero yung hats ko, paiste. matibay rin yung paiste.  :wink:

Paiste vs. Meinl: Ok rin yung Paiste. pareho silang european brands ng meinl. halos pareho rin sila. it's just a matter of personal preference. meinl ako. Meinl rin pala... has a variety of large crash ang ride sizes. that's a plus for me. hehe  :mrgreen:

Yun lang. Sana makatulong

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:18:23 AM by arien_drummer »
beer and whiskey is very risky... :D:D:D

Offline andreiandrei

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 08:41:12 AM »
i love the glassy characteristic of meinl cymbals. ang ganda ng sound. dito talaga ako pabor na pabor dati, kaso ang mahal dito sa pinas. hahaha.

Offline numenorboy

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 04:27:24 PM »

Sabian vs. Zildjian: Mataas ang kredibilidad ng Zildjian at halos pareho lang sila ng Sabian. pero sabi nila, mas ok pa daw yung sound ng mga sabian na may crack kaysa sa zildjian na may crack. hindi ko sure yung part about dun sa mga cracked cymbals. haha 8-)

Zildjian vs. Paiste: Para sakin, mas maganda yung zildjian kaysa paiste in terms of sound. i've been a zildjian player my whole life pero yung hats ko, paiste. matibay rin yung paiste.  :wink:

Paiste vs. Meinl: Ok rin yung Paiste. pareho silang european brands ng meinl. halos pareho rin sila. it's just a matter of personal preference. meinl ako. Meinl rin pala... has a variety of large crash ang ride sizes. that's a plus for me. hehe  :mrgreen:

Big and gigantic crashes :"> sarap nun! hahaha

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 11:01:52 PM »
i love the glassy characteristic of meinl cymbals. ang ganda ng sound. dito talaga ako pabor na pabor dati, kaso ang mahal dito sa pinas. hahaha.

pinaka glassy ng meinl yung soundcaster fusion.. pakinggan mo dun sa video ni felix lehrman sa meinl site.. astig un.. meinl soundcaster line (both custom and fusion) is my favorite

after trying and listening them out, napansin ko na yung mga turkish, medyo raw / individual / inconsistent (in a good way) and tunog... pero ung mga european clear, clean and maliwanag.

This is after comparing zildjian K's/A's, sabian HH/HHX/AA/AAX's, Paiste sigs/mark/dry/fast/2000/2002 and meinl soundcaster/mb10/mb20

So sa akin, nagtranslate ito this way -- sa turkish cymbals, kailangan talaga marinig mo ung specific cymbal na kukuhanin mo kasi kahit within the same series and size there are variations.. Sa mga european cymbals, malaki ung probability na kahit hindi mo marinig ung cymbal, if they're on the same line/series, it will be very close to another cymbal in the same series with the same characteristic..

Ibang usapan ung mga z(h.b.x)t, b/b8/solar, mcs/hcs, 101/201/pst3...

Offline andreiandrei

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 07:55:11 AM »
pinaka glassy ng meinl yung soundcaster fusion.. pakinggan mo dun sa video ni felix lehrman sa meinl site.. astig un.. meinl soundcaster line (both custom and fusion) is my favorite

kaya nga. no sir? soundcaster series is the way to go. hahah. pero mas maganda nga kung affordable. yung mb10 box set pa lang sa pagkakatanda ko nasa 35k na eh.

Offline numenorboy

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 06:37:49 PM »
kaya nga. no sir? soundcaster series is the way to go. hahah. pero mas maganda nga kung affordable. yung mb10 box set pa lang sa pagkakatanda ko nasa 35k na eh.

ang expensive ng meinl dito sa pinas  :-( sayang super ganda pa naman ng tunog nila. lalo na ung Byzance Traditional series nila.  :-(